Tool Ren'Py UnRenGUI, UnRen-forall(v9.4), UnRen-Powershell-forall(v9.4), UnRen-old

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Obviously it was a typo bud, I'm quite aware of all the versions.
Yes, i said this with the typo and with my (unknowingly unnecessary) explanation about the versions i meant no offense.

Does cleaning the path of this game (just use letters, numbers, underline) anything against the problem you encounter? I tested it with the unren linux version(based on this version here) and it works even on the unchanged path without hitch.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
As I said, everything worked fine for me. The only problem is the parentheses in the path, unfortunately, I can't help here. Only Powershell handles them.
Yes, i said this with the typo and with my (unknowingly unnecessary) explanation about the versions i meant no offense.

Does cleaning the path of this game (just use letters, numbers, underline) anything against the problem you encounter? I tested it with the unren linux version(based on this version here) and it works even on the unchanged path without hitch.
Good morning. I will concede that I did not test with alternately named directory pathing. I will certainly do this when I get a chance and do the same with the other VN's I tested and had UFA fail. I don't have my notes with me at this location to give you the titles of those other failures at the moment... they might have had non-alpha-numerics in them as well.

But the question now presents itself: Why though is this not a problem with any other decompiling code, including all the others that work just fine with these characters in the directory/file names?

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Good morning. I will concede that I did not test with alternately named directory pathing. I will certainly do this when I get a chance and do the same with the other VN's I tested and had UFA fail. I don't have my notes with me at this location to give you the titles of those other failures at the moment... they might have had non-alpha-numerics in them as well.

But the question now presents itself: Why though is this not a problem with any other decompiling code, including all the others that work just fine with these characters in the directory/file names?
The paths to different games contain different symbols. Most of them batch file and python process normally, but not all. Parentheses are the scourge of the command line and I have not found a solution to this problem. I don't know any problematic symbols for PowerShell at all, because this is a more advanced console.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
The paths to different games contain different symbols. Most of them batch file and python process normally, but not all. Parentheses are the scourge of the command line and I have not found a solution to this problem. I don't know any problematic symbols for PowerShell at all, because this is a more advanced console.
Understood... then if your team can't find it I'll look into previous decompile code for what might be a regex line when I have a break from my current projects. All the previous "unren" projects didn't have this parenthesis issue, so there is a way.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Why though is this not a problem with any other decompiling code, including all the others that work just fine with these characters in the directory/file names?
A good question indeed.
I fear in the end the answer to this could be "Secrets of life" or "The wonders and miracles of win batch script". However, as a rule of thumb i would simply recommend to use nothing besides alpha-numeric, underline, minus, dot in your paths. Everywhere, every case and be done with it.

• Haha
Reactions: VepsrP

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
A good question indeed.
I fear in the end the answer to this could be "Secrets of life" or "The wonders and miracles of win batch script". However, as a rule of thumb i would simply recommend to use nothing besides alpha-numeric, underline, minus, dot in your paths. Everywhere, every case and be done with it.
Funny, but it's simply binary code, not black magic nor voodoo. Apparently there's a lack of will to resolve due to it's challenge... I get it. I'll assist regardless as I'm not about to revert over 3 decades of archive structures to appease lackadaisicalness. Regards.

Edit: This is one of the only decompilers that doesn't completely fuck up basic conditional code... and for that I'm grateful. I'll start diff'ing the code with previous works when I get a break from current projects. The issue lies in code introduced by UFA since other works don't have this unicode issue. It shouldn't be too hard to narrow down... hopefully.

Last edited:

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Yo, been a minute since I dropped in. Good work on keeping the tool going with all the changes from Ren'Py and devs (y). So I decided to check out the newer version of The Awakening. So it works fine if you don't unpack it, but if you do, it throws this error:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
  File "game/customScreens/popUps.rpy", line 25, in check_changes
    raise Exception("While evaluating change check " + repr(expr) + ":" + repr(e))
Exception: While evaluating change check 'LovePowerLandlady':NameError("name 'LovePowerLandlady' is not defined")
So to fix that, I change the init block for that screen to init 999 python, then I add an init 0 block to the default variable file; but then that file throws this:

Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/defaults.rpy", line 3: invalid syntax
        default persistent.replay_seen = []
             ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Sat Mar  4 08:05:27 2023
So I tried replacing the word "default" in the file and then copy pasting the variable list to notepad and back in case the dev added some funky character that only get triggered if you unpack, and then checked if anything gets activated if config.dev or config.console is enabled to throw errors, but I didn't find anything. Was wondering if you VepsrP or Madeddy could sleuth out something I missed? Thanks.

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
I tried this on Attack on Survey Corp but after running option 1 the game will not even run at all.

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
I tried this on Attack on Survey Corp but after running option 1 the game will not even run at all.
Rename icon.webp in icon.png. The developer need two different types of files for some reason: one is in the archive, and the other is outside.

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Yo, been a minute since I dropped in. Good work on keeping the tool going with all the changes from Ren'Py and devs (y). So I decided to check out the newer version of The Awakening. So it works fine if you don't unpack it, but if you do, it throws this error:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
  File "game/customScreens/popUps.rpy", line 25, in check_changes
    raise Exception("While evaluating change check " + repr(expr) + ":" + repr(e))
Exception: While evaluating change check 'LovePowerLandlady':NameError("name 'LovePowerLandlady' is not defined")
So to fix that, I change the init block for that screen to init 999 python, then I add an init 0 block to the default variable file; but then that file throws this:

Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/defaults.rpy", line 3: invalid syntax
        default persistent.replay_seen = []
             ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Sat Mar  4 08:05:27 2023
So I tried replacing the word "default" in the file and then copy pasting the variable list to notepad and back in case the dev added some funky character that only get triggered if you unpack, and then checked if anything gets activated if config.dev or config.console is enabled to throw errors, but I didn't find anything. Was wondering if you VepsrP or Madeddy could sleuth out something I missed? Thanks.
Are you saying that the error appeared immediately when starting the game or after pressing the "Play" button? Nothing came up for me. The game unpacked, started, and even worked.

Reactions: yoyomistro

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Are you saying that the error appeared immediately when starting the game or after pressing the "Play" button? Nothing came up for me. The game unpacked, started, and even worked.
Really? Immediately on opening the .exe, nothing ran. I guess I'll download it again, though I tried 2 different versions of the reworked game. Thanks. Maybe it's an issue with the persistent from the old version. I'll try deleting that first.

EDIT: It worked, must have been an issue with an old persistent file, thanks. Sorry for the trouble! I'll try that next time I have something weird like this come up...

EDIT 2: Turns out it was the taboo patch... sigh... Gonna just remake it so it doesn't conflict when the game is unpacked or something, lol.

Last edited:

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Really? Immediately on opening the .exe, nothing ran. I guess I'll download it again, though I tried 2 different versions of the reworked game. Thanks. Maybe it's an issue with the persistent from the old version. I'll try deleting that first.

EDIT: It worked, must have been an issue with an old persistent file, thanks. Sorry for the trouble! I'll try that next time I have something weird like this come up...

EDIT 2: Turns out it was the taboo patch... sigh... Gonna just remake it so it doesn't conflict when the game is unpacked or something, lol.
No, there is a line in the code that determines which file extension to use for the icon. If there is a webp in the archives, it puts it, in other cases it puts png. It can be said, another protection against unpacking. :HideThePain:

Reactions: yoyomistro

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
No, there is a line in the code that determines which file extension to use for the icon. If there is a webp in the archives, it puts it, in other cases it puts png. It can be said, another protection against unpacking. :HideThePain:
Damn, thanks! A new trick I've never seen before, I'm usually pretty good at sniffing them out... You're a pro, man!

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Damn, thanks! A new trick I've never seen before, I'm usually pretty good at sniffing them out... You're a pro, man!
Nah, I confused your game with another one. :HideThePain: It was in there such protection, but in yours everything is fine.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Nah, I confused your game with another one. :HideThePain: It was in there such protection, but in yours everything is fine.
Oh ok, I actually did find something interesting that looks like what you said lol... But I guess it's just for building quick small rpas or something?
Code:
init python:
    existingArchives = list()
    files = renpy.list_files()
    for rpa in files:
        if rpa.endswith(('.jpg', '.png', '.webm', '.webp', '.ogv', '.mp3', '.wav', '.ogg', '.txt', '.ini', '.ttf', '.otf')):
            name = rpa
            archive = rpa.rsplit('/', 1)[0].replace("/", "_")
            if archive not in existingArchives:
                existingArchives.append(archive)
                build.archive (archive, "all")
            build.classify ("**/" + rpa, archive)
    build.archive ("scripts", "all")
    build.classify ('game/**.rpy', 'scripts')
    build.classify ('game/**.rpyc', 'scripts')
    build.classify ('game/**.rpym', 'scripts')
    build.classify ('game/**.rpymc', 'scripts')
    build.classify ('game/**.rpyb', 'scripts')

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Apparently there's a lack of will to resolve due to it's challenge... I get it.
Hey, that's simply not true. Stay fair!
If you go back in the thread to fall 2022 you can see we did since then try and discuss a lot about the issue with problematic chars in the batch variables, mostly from path names.
To my knowledge the variable issue has something to do with the "delayed expansion" feature OR some weird effect where the double quoting of vars not correctly works. See and and and many others... I linked in fall '22 some examples in this and the old UnRen thread in think.

The gist is IMO: WIN batch lang has to many pitfalls and weird rules to fuck as DEV not regularly up. Troubleshooting this is even more shit. The reason why i stay mostly with Python or sometimes bash.

Rename icon.webp in icon.png. The developer need two different types of files for some reason: one is in the archive, and the other is outside.
This looks for me like the game dev fraked somewhere the "file name" up and instead of correcting this in the script he did go the easy way by copying the needed file(-name) again in the game dir.

Oh ok, I actually did find something interesting that looks like what you said lol... But I guess it's just for building quick small rpas or something?
Code:
    for rpa in files:
        if rpa.endswith(('.jpg', '.png', '.webm', '.webp', '.ogv', '.mp3', '.wav', '.ogg', '.txt', '.ini', '.ttf', '.otf')):
            name = rpa
            archive = rpa.rsplit('/', 1)[0].replace("/", "_")
            if archive not in existingArchives:
                existingArchives.append(archive)
                build.archive (archive, "all")
            build.classify ("**/" + rpa, archive)
big_eyes_surprised.gif
They get everyday more crazy with their pitiful attempts.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes