TheXdragon

Jan 22, 2018
Maybe someone already asked this but... where can you see what the icons next to "Types:" means?

Last edited:

JorgeFFC

Jun 10, 2017
Does anyone know if there's difference in the damage characters deal or receive depending on the row they are currently in (Frontine/Backline)?

The positioning is important for unit kind. Some units get passive that lower dmg(aka tankers) like the Templar or the Skeleton Knight. He also have a tactical skill. Tactical skills only buff/implement well if used on their positions. Healer, Mage, Archer are better at rear... Tanker, Swordsman and Lancer are better ahead. U can combine unit types(do a party of same kind as in demon, beast, spirit, elf of units) that gets a buff, u can mix different types but use same element(Dark will be stronger against light when hit and weaker vs it when taking hits) and so on. And u can also try to get specific skills... like "Human Slayer". If a Demon have "Human Slayer" he will be able to give 20 to 50% dmg higher to human opponents... These are the strategy, for easier levelling earlier on the stuff u can go in Investment menu and developing to 50 everything...

TheXdragon

Jan 22, 2018
The positioning is important for unit kind. Some units get passive that lower dmg(aka tankers) like the Templar or the Skeleton Knight. He also have a tactical skill. Tactical skills only buff/implement well if used on their positions. Healer, Mage, Archer are better at rear... Tanker, Swordsman and Lancer are better ahead. U can combine unit types(do a party of same kind as in demon, beast, spirit, elf of units) that gets a buff, u can mix different types but use same element(Dark will be stronger against light when hit and weaker vs it when taking hits) and so on. And u can also try to get specific skills... like "Human Slayer". If a Demon have "Human Slayer" he will be able to give 20 to 50% dmg higher to human opponents... These are the strategy, for easier levelling earlier on the stuff u can go in Investment menu and developing to 50 everything...
I understand that, what I don't understand is what each icon means.
I think the bird icon means that the unit can fly ... or the moon icon means a nocturnal unit ... but I can't find a complete list of all the icons and what they means.

Maybe I'm just stupid and didn't see the right menu...

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
It's been a while since I've played VBF, kinda rusty on the mechanics. Speed stat is the order in which units attack right? What about wisdom?

Also, I read about wraith types in the tutorial but have no idea still lol. It sounded like a double edged sword where you deal and receive 1/4 damage? That's kinda crappy. The MC and his sister are supposedly wraith types? I don't see any indication on the status screen saying they are wraith. They only have male/female and the mechanical type. If they are wraith, they wouldn't even get healed by division heal or equitable heal. Hmm.

Bronzeswagger

Aug 27, 2018
Whenever someone gets a full save, feel free to share here for people that just want to be lazy and watch scenes. :3
(I done played it once a long ass time ago and don't have the time to do it again)

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Does anyone know if there's difference in the damage characters deal or receive depending on the row they are currently in (Frontine/Backline)?
There is no damage difference between front and backline, no matter where you are attacking from or targeting. Positioning only affects whether a unit can target them in the first place. Units can attack from anywhere, but units without Range Attack or Flank Attack cannot target the backline (at nighttime, the backline cannot be targeted by Range Attack unless the attacker is a Night unit or has Night-Attuned).
I understand that, what I don't understand is what each icon means.
I think the bird icon means that the unit can fly ... or the moon icon means a nocturnal unit ... but I can't find a complete list of all the icons and what they means.

Maybe I'm just stupid and didn't see the right menu...
You aren't stupid, this game skips explanations for a LOT of stuff. The icons are like racial attributes. Icons next to "Type" means that unit belongs to that race. Icons next to "Slay" means that unit does bonus damage to those races. The only important types are Night (moon icon), Undead (white skull), and Wraith (ghost). Night units are weaker in daytime and stronger at night, Undead units don't get healed by normal healing like Target/Division Heal and need either Demon Medic or Equitable Heal, and Wraith units take and deal 1/4 damage against non-Wraiths (nullified if attacker slays Wraiths) and don't get healed by anything except Wraith Heal.

Besides that, stuff like Fire Blast and Fire Field don't deal damage to Fire units. The powerful Dragon Scales passive is nullified if the attacker slays Dragons. Types are especially important when team-building, since a lot of units have stuff like Beast Boost, which obviously buffs Beast units. Most teams are Type-centric (team of all Beasts, or all Undead, or all Nature/Human/Demon/Divine, etc).

Ninjaman2

Dec 4, 2018
Can you the MC be dominated by any of your minions? I like the idea of being dominated but it seems like the MC would just be the one doing the dominating?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Another question I have. Altered recruiting seems to give good boosts to stats but it removes tactical skill and 2 skills with orange color. I think those orange skills are leadership skills. Do those only apply if a unit is the division leader? If so, does it make sense to recruit basically everything with altered?

Also, what is "Leader link?"

Mar 12, 2018
Lol, guys. I want to warn you all that when recruiting units you need actually choose different races on the left to see more than demi-humans units. I didn't know this and so only recruited d.humans units without knowing that other types were available. It's really easy to miss and can make the game more difficult than it should be even on normal. BTW, hard is reaaaly hard to S+ at the first few chapters so even if you're someone who likes challenge it's better to stick to normal if you want S++ everything - it won't be easy even then.

JorgeFFC

Jun 10, 2017
Another question I have. Altered recruiting seems to give good boosts to stats but it removes tactical skill and 2 skills with orange color. I think those orange skills are leadership skills. Do those only apply if a unit is the division leader? If so, does it make sense to recruit basically everything with altered?

Leader Link = Sinergy with unit x as leader or kind of leader(like units, the leader/commander units when included in party will receive buffs based in sinergy/unit skills/elements).
Alter = modifies stats and growth rate. The growth rate at start is more important than Tactic Skill. Even after already having the unit, u can re-do/re-create them later with the skill. The difference is that ALL UNITS have an ideal time to be created where they can keep the skill(tactical to fire when battling) and have good stats. The difference is if u get a depressed face he/she will grow as ur weakest unit ever. The tactic is to return constantly turn after turn to the creation menu, some units have better stats when made in like... a fire day/night... others on water day/night... others in light day/night. The elemental thing changes their passives/growth ratio than the alter. Alter will try to boost their stats by changing the material/compatibilitys in exchange of the tactical skills and passives. The strongest unit is the one without using alter button within the right cycle of the element/day.

For example... If u make a party with only Demi Humans, they will get a sinergy boost. Give this party to a Demi-human leader unit(commander) and he will get stacks up stats in %(forgot how much). Elements are also important as having units of same element and passives that boosts like all dark dmg, will help commander that casts dark skills. There's also special abilitys written on the units as "Kind Slayer". Basically anything like "Human Slayer, Demon Slayer, etc" those will boost the dmg done to these kind of units by the unit and if the unit have "sinergy" with the commander, the effect is partially transferred as 1/3 of effect or something.

Mar 12, 2018
Alter = modifies stats and growth rate. The growth rate at start is more important than Tactic Skill. Even after already having the unit, u can re-do/re-create them later with the skill.
He was asking about additional two passive skills that also get removed by Alter. And from my understanding the answer to this question - no, those skills are always active even if the character isn't a leader.

Reactions: desmosome

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
fuck... my OCD is kicking in. I'm staring at the recruitment screen for an hour and I'm basically on map 2. I just blitzed map 1 with the default group. I guess it doesn't even matter on normal mode. I remember in VBF you really only have to min max on like NG+++ extra difficulties where enemies have ridiculous defense and you could only damage them with max defense piercing with helmet split and some other stuff like dimension cut.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017

He was asking about additional two passive skills that also get removed by Alter. And from my understanding the answer to this question - no, those skills are always active even if the character isn't a leader.
Leader skills are only active if that unit is the leader of their division. If you hover over a leader on the map, leader skills appear in red text at the very top, followed by item, title, and natural skills. Non-leader units can be Altered at will so long as you're sure you won't need their leader or tactical skills.

Leader Link refers to leaders that provide that unit with a flat 10% boost to stats other than HP after all other modifiers from skills, equipment, terrain, etc.

Reactions: desmosome
Mar 12, 2018
Leader skills are only active if that unit is the leader of their division. If you hover over a leader on the map, leader skills appear in red text at the very top, followed by item, title, and natural skills. Non-leader units can be Altered at will so long as you're sure you won't need their leader or tactical skills.
Yeah, it seems to actually be the case, I just mistook title skills for leader skills. Well, if this is the case then altered units are actually a good choice.

centx

Oct 29, 2019
Damn this game's hard even with normal difficulty. I choose the dragon after the oni, those dragons have like 200 attack and the boss has like 400 attack. That's like the endgame demon realm in VBFI? Weird difficulty curve or i'm just a scrub.

Ixiah

Aug 17, 2016
Looks good, but is the Corrupting "mechanic" still the same like the older games ?
As in, select a Girl, flip a switch, fight a few Days and then see the result ?

4.10 star(s) 15 Votes