• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

Perveckt

Jun 18, 2020
In the various peacekeeping missions do the characters ever become recruit able, or they just there for a quickie? Beat the tentacle hunter and was hoping she would be unlocked after. But 2 chapters later i still don't see her showing up as a hero to summon.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
In the various peacekeeping missions do the characters ever become recruit able, or they just there for a quickie? Beat the tentacle hunter and was hoping she would be unlocked after. But 2 chapters later i still don't see her showing up as a hero to summon.
They're in the Hero category and are all endgame or NG+ units since they each require at least one of the last five Tactica to recruit.

Reactions: Perveckt

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Gah... I did some MAJOR restructuring and a barrage of recruiting to create a vanguard honor division and 2 dps divisions. It worked really well. But like 2 missions later, I realized I accidentally got 3 friendship with Elea (trying to maximize choas+law) which locked out the corruption events. I have to go way back.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
In multiple division fights, does it matter who has the bounty and treasure hunter? Do they have to be on the division that makes the kill?

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
In multiple division fights, does it matter who has the bounty and treasure hunter? Do they have to be on the division that makes the kill?
Bounty Hunter is battalion-wide. I put a Defense Only unit on its own with Bounty Hunter 1 and got Copper Ore. Impossible to test with Treasure Hunter, but I'd say it works the same.

Reactions: desmosome

Vanndril

Jul 12, 2018
Just did some testing with a Vanguard's Honor division, a Range Null unit, and a random decoy against a bunch of Range Attack units. Couldn't find an enemy with Vanguard's Honor, so I'm assuming the rules function the same both ways.

Short answer: Vanguard's Honor takes priority over everything else and redirects all attacks, regardless of Flank/Range Attack, to the unit in the same spot as the original target. You want your Vanguard division to have the Nulls, because those skills are activated when an attack is about to execute and useless on divisions being covered.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thank you for explaining all of this, as I found it exceptionally useful. I want to add a bit of detail to the workings of Vanguard's Honor and Defensive Formation when dealing with Ranged Attacks.

If you want your Vanguard's Honor tank to protect the back column units within its own division from Ranged Attacks with Defensive Formation once Vanguard's Honor activates and to have the Vanguard unit deal Counter damage to Ranged Attack units, both the protected division and the Vanguard's Honor division need to have Ranged Null.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Thank you for explaining all of this, as I found it exceptionally useful. I want to add a bit of detail to the workings of Vanguard's Honor and Defensive Formation when dealing with Ranged Attacks.

If you want your Vanguard's Honor tank to protect the back column units within its own division from Ranged Attacks with Defensive Formation once Vanguard's Honor activates and to have the Vanguard unit deal Counter damage to Ranged Attack units, both the protected division and the Vanguard's Honor division need to have Ranged Null.
Have you tested this? If we need ranged null on each division, it might throw a wrench into the whole thing lol. Ranged null seems extremely rare. I can't think of many units that have ranged null. Horus, haunted house with leader skills are 2 that show up on my search. I wish non-hired units can be searched for skills. What an oversight. I'm not sure if there are any units with range null in the list of non-hired units, but it can't be more than a couple.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Should you generally be putting Day or Night-attuned on your defender units?
Low priority in comparison to other damage mitigation skills like Slayer Defense, Hardy Physique, and Deadly/Fatal Resist.

There's math that goes into this answer, revolving around the concept of "effective HP" (eHP). Your eHP is the inverse of damage taken. If you have a skill that halves damage (1/2), your eHP is doubled (2/1), meaning you can survive double the punishment. Day/Night-Attuned is this, except it's only active half the time (1 - 1/2*1/2 = 3/4 damage = 4/3 = 1.33x eHP).

Slayer Defense reduces damage from Slays, which is a little difficult to estimate the impact of. The damage multiplier for Slay is 1+S*(100-D), where S is the number of types slain and D is the skill level of Slayer Defense. Without the skill, a unit takes double damage from 1 slay, triple from 2, and so on. With Slayer Defense 20, that becomes 1.8x from 1, 2.6x from 2, and so on. This means eHP increases more when more types are slain. Slayer Defense 50 halves the effectiveness of Slays and has the same effect as Attune with 1 slay, but double the effect with 2 and so on, scaling linearly. It's safe to assume that your Guarders will very often face at least 1 slay, and endgame often has them facing 3 or more. Slayer Defense 35 against 2 slays (2.3x/3x = 0.77x damage taken) is roughly equal to Attune, as a point of reference.

Hardy Physique scales exactly the opposite to Helmet Split. The more of either skill you have, the better returns you get for stacking towards the cap. Hardy Physique 50 = 1/2 damage = 2x eHP. Hardy Physique 60 = 2/5 damage = 5/2 eHP = 2.5x eHP. The max Hardy Physique 80 = 1/5 damage = 5x eHP, which makes it much more effective than Attune.

Deadly Resist allows units with Parry to negate damage. This trumps all other damage mitigation against units without Dimension Slash and is the main reason why "Impregnable Mercenary" (Deadly Resist 60, Parry 60) is such an amazing title for Noel, since it gives her a natural 100% Parry chance and reduces enemy crit chance by 60%. Fatal Resist works the same as Hardy Physique and scales similarly, but only for Lethal Critical. It's important to note that Lethal Critical actually reduces Defense by a further 25% when the unit crits, so reducing that to zero makes it more impactful than Hardy Physique if enemy crit chance is high.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Low priority in comparison to other damage mitigation skills like Slayer Defense, Hardy Physique, and Deadly/Fatal Resist.

There's math that goes into this answer, revolving around the concept of "effective HP" (eHP). Your eHP is the inverse of damage taken. If you have a skill that halves damage (1/2), your eHP is doubled (2/1), meaning you can survive double the punishment. Day/Night-Attuned is this, except it's only active half the time (1 - 1/2*1/2 = 3/4 damage = 4/3 = 1.33x eHP).

Slayer Defense reduces damage from Slays, which is a little difficult to estimate the impact of. The damage multiplier for Slay is 1+S*(100-D), where S is the number of types slain and D is the skill level of Slayer Defense. Without the skill, a unit takes double damage from 1 slay, triple from 2, and so on. With Slayer Defense 20, that becomes 1.8x from 1, 2.6x from 2, and so on. This means eHP increases more when more types are slain. Slayer Defense 50 halves the effectiveness of Slays and has the same effect as Attune with 1 slay, but double the effect with 2 and so on, scaling linearly. It's safe to assume that your Guarders will very often face at least 1 slay, and endgame often has them facing 3 or more. Slayer Defense 35 against 2 slays (2.3x/3x = 0.77x damage taken) is roughly equal to Attune, as a point of reference.

Hardy Physique scales exactly the opposite to Helmet Split. The more of either skill you have, the better returns you get for stacking towards the cap. Hardy Physique 50 = 1/2 damage = 2x eHP. Hardy Physique 60 = 2/5 damage = 5/2 eHP = 2.5x eHP. The max Hardy Physique 80 = 1/5 damage = 5x eHP, which makes it much more effective than Attune.

Deadly Resist allows units with Parry to negate damage. This trumps all other damage mitigation against units without Dimension Slash and is the main reason why "Impregnable Mercenary" (Deadly Resist 60, Parry 60) is such an amazing title for Noel, since it gives her a natural 100% Parry chance and reduces enemy crit chance by 60%. Fatal Resist works the same as Hardy Physique and scales similarly, but only for Lethal Critical. It's important to note that Lethal Critical actually reduces Defense by a further 25% when the unit crits, so reducing that to zero makes it more impactful than Hardy Physique if enemy crit chance is high.
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe I overvalued attuned compared to slay defense. I have had many impenetrable tankers get dropped during their opposite cycle in VBF. I guess slay is just something I never check for because ain't nobody got time for that. Day/night is something concrete that I could see. Slay is something that was only considered when I'm using tactical skills lol. With most units having multiple types and slays, it would make sense for it to factor into damage taken quite a lot, but real numbers would be nice to really gauge it's effectively.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017

Have you tested this? If we need ranged null on each division, it might throw a wrench into the whole thing lol. Ranged null seems extremely rare. I can't think of many units that have ranged null. Horus, haunted house with leader skills are 2 that show up on my search. I wish non-hired units can be searched for skills. What an oversight. I'm not sure if there are any units with range null in the list of non-hired units, but it can't be more than a couple.
In fact, I thought I tested this very thing. I even took notes. Here was my process:

Event battle taking place in the day. 3v3. All enemy divisions had at least 1 unit with Range Attack. D2 and D3 also had Flank Attack, but I didn't experiment with Flank Null and just assumed it worked the same.

(e)D# = (enemy) Division #
VH = Vanguard's Honor
RN = Range Null
FD = Forward Defense

All divisions have RN. D1 has VH.
D1 takes all attacks.

All divisions have RN. D2 has VH.
D1 hit by eD1. D2 takes all attacks from eD2 and eD3.

D1 has RN and VH.
D1 takes all attacks. This suggests that RN is effective battalion-wide OR VH spreads it OR VH trumps Range.

D1 has VH. D3 has RN.
D1 takes all attacks. This eliminates possibility of VH spreading RN. D2 not getting hit means VH trumped Range.

D1 has VH. D3 has RN. D1 setup is Guarder, empty, empty, VH decoy, FD unit, empty.
D1 takes all attacks. FD Guarder gets hit. This means RN did not activate from D3.

From the above, I concluded that VH took priority over all other forms of targeting and you only needed Nulls on the VH division. If you see an error in my testing, please point it out. Also if someone else could try testing to see if they get similar results, that would help.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
D1 has VH. D3 has RN. D1 setup is Guarder, empty, empty, VH decoy, FD unit, empty.
D1 takes all attacks. FD Guarder gets hit. This means RN did not activate from D3.
This one is a bit confusing. Does this mean we could have a super tank without VH or FD, but have him behind a miss target decoy with VH?

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe I overvalued attuned compared to slay defense. I have had many impenetrable tankers get dropped during their opposite cycle in VBF. I guess slay is just something I never check for because ain't nobody got time for that. Day/night is something concrete that I could see. Slay is something that was only considered when I'm using tactical skills lol. With most units having multiple types and slays, it would make sense for it to factor into damage taken quite a lot, but real numbers would be nice to really gauge it's effectively.
Attune doesn't scale at all, which is why it loses importance over time. As for Slayer Defense, Guarders with more types naturally get more mileage out of it, but you aren't likely to swap your Guarder or its division unless the boss you're about to face happens to slay the Guarder 4 or 5+ times over. That said, it's true that endgame has scenarios where Guarders often face double or triple slays and there are units that Slay everything, making Slayer Defense much more valuable on average.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Yes. VH does not have to be on the decoy or the Guarder at all.
What about the initial assessment that you made about the target being positioned based on where it was targeting the original division? When VH takes the agro, do the enemies recalculate their target so they will always go for the decoy?

4.10 star(s) 15 Votes