Zelos-sama

Mar 23, 2019
Does it being day or night affect the pool for key summons? I've been save scumming forever but the unit I'm looking for doesn't come.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
In my never-ending quest to unravel the secrets of this game, I have deciphered the battle stat calculation formula!
...And then I found it on the Japanese wiki. Anyway.

(Base stat * Affinity + Boost/Formation/Sap skills) * Command * Formation effect * Link * Terrain

Wisdom stat receives 1/4 from all sources
Affinity = 1.25 if moon matches element, 0.75 if opposite element
Command = additive total Command skill modifier
Formation effect = 1.25 if unit class is boosted by Leader's formation (Attack stat only)
Link = 1.1 if Leader Link bonus is active
Terrain = additive total terrain modifier

What does this all mean? Well, the affinity modifier applies before all skills, which means it's helps less to match it, but also hurts less when working against it. Everything else is multiplicative AFTER flat additions/subtractions from skills. The Command and terrain modifiers sum all applicable effects before multiplying (ex. Command Division 10 + Command Knight 15 = 1.25x; Night +16, Nature +16, Demon -8 = 1.24x). All skills other than Formation skills don't apply to the unit that carries them.

Random other stuff that I've found, plus more stuff from Japanese wiki:
  • Absorb and Reflect skills apply in that order before Barrier skills.
  • Absorb skills distribute healing equally among the division. For a full division of six units, every 30 Spell Absorb on any unit will act as 5 levels of Spell Barrier (30% of damage to one unit divided as healing among six units = 5% healing per unit), stacking additively.
    • For example, Spell Absorb 120 spread out amongst the division (20% healing per unit) and Spell Barrier 80 on one unit acts as Spell Barrier 100 for the whole division.
    • Note that this isn't perfect because indirect damage is modified by Wisdom. However, in the worst case scenario (unit with Absorb takes 0.5x damage, rest of division takes 1.5x), you will at most lose out on 1.4% protection per unit per 30 Absorb.
  • sqrt(Walls)*2 acts as the equivalent to Strat Barrier. 2500 Walls is equal to Strat Barrier 100 for your entire battalion.
  • Military LV * 5 is provided as bonus Walls at the beginning of every battle. Since Internal Affairs goes up to LV 50, you can start every battle with 250 Walls, which is ~16 Defense and ~32 Strat Barrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feed your chickens

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
In my never-ending quest to unravel the secrets of this game, I have deciphered the battle stat calculation formula!
...And then I found it on the Japanese wiki. Anyway.

(Base stat * Affinity + Boost/Formation/Sap skills) * Command * Formation effect * Link * Terrain

Wisdom stat receives 1/4 from all sources
Affinity = 1.25 if moon matches element, 0.75 if opposite element
Command = additive total Command skill modifier
Formation effect = 1.25 if unit class is boosted by Leader's formation (Attack stat only)
Link = 1.1 if Leader Link bonus is active
Terrain = additive total terrain modifier

What does this all mean? Well, the affinity modifier applies before all skills, which means it's helps less to match it, but also hurts less when working against it. Everything else is multiplicative AFTER flat additions/subtractions from skills. The Command and terrain modifiers sum all applicable effects before multiplying (ex. Command Division 10 + Command Knight 15 = 1.25x; Night +16, Nature +16, Demon -8 = 1.24x). All skills other than Formation skills don't apply to the unit that carries them.

Random other stuff that I've found, plus more stuff from Japanese wiki:
  • Absorb and Reflect skills apply in that order before Barrier skills.
  • Absorb skills distribute healing equally among the division. For a full division of six units, every 30 Spell Absorb on any unit will act as 5 levels of Spell Barrier (30% of damage to one unit divided as healing among six units = 5% healing per unit), stacking additively.
    • For example, Spell Absorb 120 spread out amongst the division (20% healing per unit) and Spell Barrier 80 on one unit acts as Spell Barrier 100 for the whole division.
    • Note that this isn't perfect because indirect damage is modified by Wisdom. However, in the worst case scenario (unit with Absorb takes 0.5x damage, rest of division takes 1.5x), you will at most lose out on 1.4% protection per unit per 30 Absorb.
  • sqrt(Walls)*2 acts as the equivalent to Strat Barrier. 2500 Walls is equal to Strat Barrier 100 for your entire battalion.
  • Military LV * 5 is provided as bonus Walls at the beginning of every battle. Since Internal Affairs goes up to LV 50, you can start every battle with 250 Walls, which is ~16 Defense and ~32 Strat Barrier.
They treat absorb as a higher tier skill than barrier, but it's pretty crappy. Probably best to just treat it as a little extra thing you have incidentally. It does have the benefit of being additive to spell barrier on another unit though, but if you nullified blocked spell to be able to cap out the rest with absorb, it's probably not very threatening at that point anyways.

They should have just applied the full absorb amount as healing to each unit and toned down the numbers a bit so absorb 50 is extremely rare. Right now, you can get 15 absorb vs 40 barrier for S units from title. I know which one I will take every time.

I think spell reflect sends the damage 1 to one unit (occupying same posistion I think) on the other side. I think reflected damage bypasses spell barrier? If that's all true, spell reflect seems pretty ok, but it's more of a scary thing on enemies I guess.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
What are your thoughts on we're cornered? Seems like a dead skill most of the time. I can't think of a situation where 2 extra units would be less good than 50~60% boost. It's really hard to make a division with 4 units. The best I can think of would be altered celias leader (20 flank cross attack weapon) and fallen luceli with a surround null tank and a bait. The bait and tank needs to cover so much stuff like spell barrier, self-d barrier, and absolute cure at the very least. Not sure if this would be comparable to an average party. The thing is that 2 extra units can pretty much boost the main dealers to almost 50 percent anyways while providing so many extra skills to cover all the bases.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
What are your thoughts on we're cornered? Seems like a dead skill most of the time. I can't think of a situation where 2 extra units would be less good than 50~60% boost. It's really hard to make a division with 4 units. The best I can think of would be altered celias leader (20 flank cross attack weapon) and fallen luceli with a surround null tank and a bait. The bait and tank needs to cover so much stuff like spell barrier, self-d barrier, and absolute cure at the very least. Not sure if this would be comparable to an average party. The thing is that 2 extra units can pretty much boost the main dealers to almost 50 percent anyways while providing so many extra skills to cover all the bases.
Useful very early on, completely nonviable by mid-game. Forget it exists on any difficulty above Hard. There is no situation where a division that is not already viable is made viable by that skill, and giving up two units is a hilariously uneven tradeoff.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Useful very early on, completely nonviable by mid-game. Forget it exists on any difficulty above Hard. There is no situation where a division that is not already viable is made viable by that skill, and giving up two units is a hilariously uneven tradeoff.
How long do you take to set up your divisions?

I'm ashamed to admit that it takes me an ungodly amount of time every time I do a round of restructuring lol. I sit there for hours... and don't really get things perfectly in one sitting. Often taking multiple sessions to finally be satisfied. To be honest, now that I unlocked all the units, taking the time to set everything makes sense, but I did this process way too many times previously when I knew I would have to redo everything once I unlock more stuff. I've clocked 241 hours.... wow. I have it on for most of the day although I'm not playing it the whole time, but still lol. I'd say like 60-70% of that time was spent looking at my divisions and recruit screen.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
How long do you take to set up your divisions?

I'm ashamed to admit that it takes me an ungodly amount of time every time I do a round of restructuring lol. I sit there for hours... and don't really get things perfectly in one sitting. Often taking multiple sessions to finally be satisfied. To be honest, now that I unlocked all the units, taking the time to set everything makes sense, but I did this process way too many times previously when I knew I would have to redo everything once I unlock more stuff. I've clocked 241 hours.... wow. I have it on for most of the day although I'm not playing it the whole time, but still lol. I'd say like 60-70% of that time was spent looking at my divisions and recruit screen.
That amount of planning is about par for the course. Unlock a new batch of units? Time to reorganize my divisions. I have a lot of fun with optimization, so if anything, I spend even longer building teams. The biggest time sink so far for me was prepping for B5 Hard. I unequipped all divisions, remade battalions, and fired every unit that wasn't immediately useful or obviously powerful in preparation for B5 Hard, which I finished yesterday.

In hindsight, I should have put a lot more faith into a Shelling battalion. I only ended up making one right before Hamud. I spent so many hours planning for the bosses with a Treasure Hunt division as dead weight, when I could have made things so much easier. On the bright side, no division wipes.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now that I have R12 ore, I'm ore farming while I do a couple of victory laps for titles and unlocks (still need to pick up Beach Julia and re-title certain forms for Triumph in case I want to use them later). Then, I'm going to speed clear Deus for units, Story Very Hard for the last two Tactica, and finally, I'm going to try Thanatos.

Last edited:
Reactions: desmosome

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
btw, you figure out what metal attacks do? What happens if you lower loyalty of enemies?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Interface mod updated to v1.8 (works with v1.04 and v1.041)

Installation:
Unpack and place the file "patch2.xp3" into the installation directory containing "VBHI.exe"

Recruitment Screen:
- added units filter by job (multiple jobs can be selected)
- added units filter by type (multiple types can be selected)
- added units filter by skill (default skills, leader skills, tactical skills; tactica skills and items skills ignored) and formation; search is case insensitive, does not require a full match, "," is a delimiter
- units in deployed divisions are displayed but cannot be dismissed
- tactical skills level (cost) is displayed (also displayed at other screens)
- reduced units list refresh time (from ~8ms to ~2ms per unit)
- added mood (happiness) icon to the units list

Edit Screen:
- added highlighting of a unit in a division when mouse over a unit in the units list
If you are up for it, maybe searching by equipment slots would be useful :D

Also, I don't think anyone would ever search for tactical skill name. If you could search for the skill effects like "revive all" that would be useful. Anyways, thanks for the updated mod. It's a godsend.

Last edited:

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
btw, you figure out what metal attacks do? What happens if you lower loyalty of enemies?
Mental Attack drains Force on hit similar to Flank Attack. Loyalty on enemy units doesn't do anything. You can't make them abandon their posts, though that would be pretty funny.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Mental Attack drains Force on hit similar to Flank Attack. Loyalty on enemy units doesn't do anything. You can't make them abandon their posts, though that would be pretty funny.
Kinda weird that they mention it in the tool tips then lol.

Still going through my units.... man Self-D barrier is so damn rare that I am seriously considering taking some useless SS units just to give them 75 self-D barrier from titles. Add the staff and you got 100 or 95 with beast accessory.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Kinda weird that they mention it in the tool tips then lol.

Still going through my units.... man Self-D barrier is so damn rare that I am seriously considering taking some useless SS units just to give them 75 self-D barrier from titles. Add the staff and you got 100 or 95 with beast accessory.
The Loyalty decrease works on your units. Mental Attack can make your non-Altered units leave at zero Loyalty, which is as terrifying as it sounds.

Building against Self-Destruct was a lot worse in Hypno. At least in Hollow you have Gal Sylvia, Fairy Liese, and all the new units. Most of your high difficulty Self-D Barrier units will be R8 Staff, R9 Shield, and R10 Armor users. The R7 Beast Accessory is more for Dragon Scales (with the notable exception of Tentacle Rider, who can reach Self-D Barrier 100 with 40 from titles).

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Oops, I was mistaken about 75 from titles. the 25 barrier is on the same side as the 50. Need to use the golem one for 65. Anyways, there are only so many useful units for self-D barrier duty.

Self-D is a pain in the ass. It's not a constant threat, but a decent amount of it shows up, especially the damned souls and necrogrod units. Against the machines, you could probably get by with a decent amount of self-D barrier, but damned souls just wreck you unless you are nearly immune. Azreal has 250 self-D. If their HP is like 5000, that's freaking 12500 damage if you one shot them. Even with all the reductions from say 80 self-D barrier + godly and other sources, when you pop a bunch of them, you can be in serious trouble. Your strongest divisions with huge sweepers especially needs 100 self-D barrier. My Leon died countless times before I fixed it lol. Also, even just taking significant damage like 500 from explosions could mess up your aggro and ruin your day.

I'm going through the list and looking for decent units to put on self-D barrier duty.
Roughly ordered based on usefulness.
  1. Yuni can max out with 25 and 15 titles.
  2. Tentacle rider 25, 15 title and beast armor.
  3. Nabarius can max with 25 and 15 titles + staff. On the other hand, she can achieve very high spell and self-d barrier without quite reaching max if you try to go for both.
  4. Wraith Magia same situation as nabarius.
  5. Onmyoji can max it with just the 50 title.
  6. Dragon Chef with 25, 15, and the cube shield (although it might be wasteful, not too many units want to use this shield over something else).
  7. Seer can max it with title and staff.
  8. Clam witch can get 90 with titles or max with 50 title + shield.
  9. Mimic can max. In a dedicated treasure hunt party, you obviously don't bother. Given the barrier armor, she gets 35 total squad boost as well as finding some ores. Not too bad. Mimic is kinda annoying to me because she dies from counters. If not on dedicated treasure team, might as well give range attack.
  10. Any SS ranged unit with armor... perhaps Cannoneer. Other title slot can be command division I guess.
  11. Any defense only SS unit with armor or shield.... Meh. These are totally dead units other than self-D blocking. At least the ranged unit can generate focus lol.
That's basically it for decent picks. There are hero support units from key unlocks that could be tailored to get high sefl-D barrier, but I think it's usually better for them to go hybrid support rather than wasting the right slot on 15 self-d barrier. Most of them are staff users so they'd only reach 90 self D barrier at most anyways.

The opportunity cost for self-D titles on these support units is that you are losing command/amp, or target miss on possible decoys.

Tbh, anything after Dragon chef seems really reaching. You got dragon kitty and gal sylvia, so that's 8 good supporters on self-D barrier duty.

Last edited:

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Oops, I was mistaken about 75 from titles. the 25 barrier is on the same side as the 50. Need to use the golem one for 65. Anyways, there are only so many useful units for self-D barrier duty.

Self-D is a pain in the ass. It's not a constant threat, but a decent amount of it shows up, especially the damned souls and necrogrod units. Against the machines, you could probably get by with a decent amount of self-D barrier, but damned souls just wreck you unless you are nearly immune. Azreal has 250 self-D. If their HP is like 5000, that's freaking 12500 damage if you one shot them. Even with all the reductions from say 80 self-D barrier + godly and other sources, when you pop a bunch of them, you can be in serious trouble. Your strongest divisions with huge sweepers especially needs 100 self-D barrier. My Leon died countless times before I fixed it lol. Also, even just taking significant damage like 500 from explosions could mess up your aggro and ruin your day.

I'm going through the list and looking for decent units to put on self-D barrier duty.
Roughly ordered based on usefulness.
  1. Yuni can max out with 25 and 15 titles.
  2. Tentacle rider 25, 15 title and beast armor.
  3. Nabarius can max with 25 and 15 titles + staff. On the other hand, she can achieve very high spell and self-d barrier without quite reaching max if you try to go for both.
  4. Wraith Magia same situation as nabarius.
  5. Onmyoji can max it with just the 50 title.
  6. Dragon Chef with 25, 15, and the cube shield (although it might be wasteful, not too many units want to use this shield over something else).
  7. Seer can max it with title and staff. Clam Witch can get 90 with titles and max it with staff if you want.
  8. Clam witch can get 90 with titles or max with 50 title + shield.
  9. Mimic can max. In a dedicated treasure hunt party, you obviously don't bother. Given the barrier armor, she gets 35 total squad boost as well as finding some ores. Not too bad. Mimic is kinda annoying to me because she dies from counters. If not on dedicated treasure team, might as well give range attack.
  10. Any SS ranged unit with armor... perhaps Cannoneer. Other title slot can be command division I guess.
  11. Any defense only SS unit with armor or shield.... Meh. These are totally dead units other than self-D blocking. At least the ranged unit can generate focus lol.
That's basically it for decent picks. There are hero support units from key unlocks that could be tailored to get high sefl-D barrier, but I think it's usually better for them to go hybrid support rather than wasting the right slot on 15 self-d barrier. Most of them are staff users so they'd only reach 90 self D barrier at most anyways.

The opportunity cost for self-D titles on these support units is that you are losing command/amp, or target miss on possible decoys.

Tbh, anything after Dragon chef seems really reaching. You got dragon kitty and gal sylvia, so that's 8 good supporters on self-D barrier duty.
Keep in mind that Self-D Barrier is not the only way to deal with Self-Destruct. Indirect damage is a great way to safely "defuse" or reduce the damage from bomb units. You should have divisions that specialize in killing via indirect damage anyway, especially Poison. I personally recommend a dedicated Shelling battalion. Force revival (change the timing to use Force skills at the end of a round) with continuous healing is another viable strategy as long as you can sustain the Force required.

Your attackers should be able to lose at least half their max HP without diverting aggro with all the buff skills helping them. You may need to rethink your skill and/or decoy distribution. Decoys ideally aren't buffed unless their Defense is so vastly inferior to other units that it doesn't matter.

I might add a sheet with a list of the "best" utility units to the spreadsheet later, but it'll have to wait since I'm busy with work until Christmas.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
when i extract the winrar the file folder that contain INST_VBHI(EN).exe wont came out
My guess is your antivirus is most likely flagging it. Turn it off before extracting and add the extraction path as an exception, or go into quarantine and restore the file.

4.10 star(s) 15 Votes