Warning All unity creators

icevsfire

Feb 10, 2018
Unity just posted on Twitter that they introducing a "Runtime fee" which might not affect users to a certain extent that it does a creator. When ask about how they are going to track it, the response basically boils down to " we can't tell you but trust us".

Screenshot_20230912_173311_X.jpg

Now for creators, what does this mean? Well, you might be charged for each install a user has done. A person hates the game? They might just install the game once a day and delete afterwards so you can get a bill for each install, forcing indie developers to bankruptcy. It might charge you even if someone installs it illegally as well.

Screenshot_20230912_173430_X.jpg

The company has botted in response to any critic or real criticism. So more than likely their fraud compliance team is just a bunch of bots that will probably give a run around.

Screenshot_20230912_173545_X.jpg

For now, Please warn any creator that use unity about this so they hopefully don't get charged due this garbage faulty system they have in place.

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
This is going to wreck smaller/mid-sized devs.

They're basically making the developer pay for users to play their games. Found this elsewhere.

Smaller devs? no. intermediate devs and larger? yes. As example, this could effect Meshed, DotArt, SuccuDev, UberPie, Eromancer, Team Nimbus, Gunsmoke Games, and maybe a couple of others with titles listed on F95.

Devs who can, will pass on the cost to the consumer. Add $1 to retail price - pays for 5 to 200 installs.
Those with patreon/subscriberstar/whatever will have to be more creative in how this may cost them.
I already saw what the creator of crab game might have to pay . I feel extremely bad for any one who has to deal with this.

View attachment 2925243
while I get his point --- they aren't going to charge developers for the count of installations already - it's this point moving forward. So he doesn't need to worry about $5.6 million. Also, since muck and crag game are free - he won't ever hit the $200,000 requirement. Even if he did --- he should plan on spending the $3000 per year for Unity Enterprise. Pays for itself after 40,000 installs.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Follow up - makes me wonder how Unity will handle Patreon/Subscribestar/whatever. Since the game is considered a "reward" and not a purchase ... how does that track? And even those who give their game for free but make income through the subscription platforms... What constitutes game revenue? That sounds like a litigious issue for courts to decide.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: icevsfire

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
It's not just 200,000 dollars. It's 200k installs too. The fees are for either situation I think.

And evidently it counts re-installs and pirated installs too. Unity have something (no idea what the technical term is) inside Unity that tracks whether the game is installed or not and sends that info back to Unity.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
while I get his point --- they aren't going to charge developers for the count of installations already - it's this point moving forward. So he doesn't need to worry about $5.6 million. Also, since muck and crag game are free - he won't ever hit the $200,000 requirement. Even if he did --- he should plan on spending the $3000 per year for Unity Enterprise. Pays for itself after 40,000 installs.
Edit: removed because crap

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bababuz

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Smaller devs? no. intermediate devs and larger? yes. As example, this could effect Meshed, DotArt, SuccuDev, UberPie, Eromancer, Team Nimbus, Gunsmoke Games, and maybe a couple of others with titles listed on F95.

Devs who can, will pass on the cost to the consumer. Add $1 to retail price - pays for 5 to 200 installs.
Those with patreon/subscriberstar/whatever will have to be more creative in how this may cost them.

Well, there is still :
1694562529007.png
They pretty much make developers pay for the behavior of their users.

Reactions: Exocrine

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
however, you are wrong that unity won't charge you retroactively. they said they will
I'm not even going to answer with the usual "depends" legal response. That would never hold up in a court of law. When a developer agrees to the terms, that's the terms. Unity cannot back date those terms of a user agreement.

That would be like you renting a car with "unlimited free miles" on a week rental and then 5 days in the rental agency says "oh, we're changing the rental contract - you have to pay for miles, including the ones you've already driven. (No take backsies)."

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Sole and icevsfire

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
This is definitely a kick in the balls for me, I was making my tilesets to work on a game in unity but that rate is abusive even gamemaker's monthly rate is better and its direct competition unreal is still free, already many indie game creators are talking about moving to godot and help the platform to become more viable.

many indie creators have a higher rate of demos than sales and there is talk that now to damage an indie company will not require to go to metacritick but to download delete the game and redownload it multiple times or cheat the system to bankrupt any programmer.

icevsfire

Feb 10, 2018
Follow up - makes me wonder how Unity will handle Patreon/Subscribestar/whatever. Since the game is considered a "reward" and not a purchase ... how does that track? And even those who give their game for free but make income through the subscription platforms... What constitutes game revenue? That sounds like a litigious issue for courts to decide.
From what I've seen, it's already in the talks to take a class action lawsuit against them.

I also saw that publishers are probably going to start rejecting your game cause it use unity.

Screenshot_20230912_200107_X.jpg

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Well, there is still :
View attachment 2925265
They pretty much make developers pay for the behavior of their users.
Which is shit business, I agree. And is why I said developers will need to raise their retail price by at least $1 -- which, depending upon the volume of the total installs pays for 5 to 200 installs per purchase. If they need to, they may raise it more - particularly if they are dealing with high rates of piracy (even if Unity says they have plans to determine if an install is valid or pirated).
however, you are wrong that unity won't charge you retroactively. they said they will
Follow up to #9 - they aren't charging retroactively, but the number of installs will count toward determining if a threshold is met.
1694563486112.png

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
many indie creators have a higher rate of demos than sales and there is talk that now to damage an indie company will not require to go to metacritick but to download delete the game and redownload it multiple times or cheat the system to bankrupt any programmer.
While demos as an install...
1694563672366.png

that they have a measure against harmful behavior.
1694563491868.png

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Follow up to #9 - they aren't charging retroactively, but the number of installs will count toward determining if a threshold is met.
View attachment 2925290
right, i misremembered the particulars. also, rereading the post of yours i responded too, i now see that you addressed the other point i made about it being installs AND the money. i could have sworn you didn't. had to check if you edited your post lol. so, sorry for the shitpost :WutFace:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
right, i misremembered the particulars. also, rereading the post of yours i responded too, i now see that you addressed the other point i made about it being installs AND the money. i could have sworn you didn't. had to check if you edited your post lol. so, sorry for the shitpost :WutFace:
's all good. I've not seen a history of you shitposting. Easily honest mistake. As for myself...

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

I feel better now.