• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN - Ren'Py - Westview Academy [v0.5.1] [Tako Yuh]

1. 5.00 star(s)

jkjkjkjkjk

Cool game, playing the basketball route may go back and try the music route to see how it differs. The renders are good and the LIs have different personalities which is appreciated. I also like that there seems to be a route that is introspective and personal and not just let's see how many chicks I can hook up with. Interested to see where it goes as there are a number of story lines going on.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

LizaS

Review as of [v0.1.2] for Westview Academy by TakoYuh

SPOILERS!

My Synopsis:

A young man and his best friend are about to join one of the nation’s best schools, the “Westview Academy”. The academy is well-known for its music curriculum and excellent sports facilities.

In Westview, you (the player) will have to make difficult choices and go through diverse situations with new acquaintances. These decisions and experiences will all depend on the path you choose.

The course of the story is significantly impacted by your decisions. How will your story go?

- - - - - - - - - -

Renders - Models and settings are really well done; they don't resemble one another in a way that they frequently do in other VNs.

In addition, our MC has a nice flair for appearance and is very unique-looking as opposed to the more typical rather slender appearance.

Story – It is one of those AVNs that focuses a lot on the narrative. It currently concentrates on character development and world building.

I would say that I liked the manner in which the story was going, with the routes being broken off into Music or Sports. If you choose Sports, the MC already has potential; he is a shooter, but he is still considered an underdog because he's not acknowledged as the best in the sport. If you choose Music, he has a passion and interest but is just getting started and has no knowledge of it, but his best buddy is there to mentor and assist him.

Everyone has a unique personality, making it possible to tell them apart from one another beyond just how they seem. Not all developers are able to do this.

Animations – The transitions were good. It demonstrated the developer's inventiveness in switching between scenes. However, when I played, there was no "fade" element when you clicked, so it felt more like a slideshow.

For the animations in the lewd scenes, it showed promise. It's decent enough for a starting developer. I am positive that things would improve. Not even mentioning that the animations are superior to those of most AVNs available.

Sounds – Not much to say here.

Music could be heard everywhere in the first half. The most of the second half, though, wasn't.

The music stops during the first half's scenes where the female is shown from bottom to top.

Although generic, the used background music is acceptable.

UI - There was no way to hide the buttons or the textbox. That turned me off, but since it's more of a preference, I'll overlook it. However, I hope the developer includes this feature in future releases.

Grammar – It's quite good. I just saw one or two errors. I could say that the developer took time to proofread.

Dev - The developer has been open to suggestions, and as a result, changes are routinely made.

This developer shows a ton of promise and potential.

Conclusion:
    I’m giving it five stars and am eager to see how the developer builds upon the solid foundation they have set for the plot as it progresses.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

08Hanbo

Renders and animations are great. Story is also interesting. It deserves more attention and support.

But player can only choose one of music or sport, which will lead to locking some paths, so player can't have a lot of interaction with all girls. It's too cruel.
  4. 2.00 star(s)

hyperjack38

For v0.1.1

The story is kinda okay but the characters seem real interesting. Even with having some kinda generic characters their backstories make them more interesting. Also there is a good diversity in the looks and types of characters, not like in most other VNs where literally any character apart from the mc looks same just with superficial differences like hair change or size. The game has a lot of potential and could be a 4+ game in the future. The reason for three stars right now is that the dialogue is lacking a little it feels like the game is trying a little too hard to make it like you. The story pacing is also very weird a lot of times. Sometimes the dialogues get a little cringey. Also the animations/transitions (like the one introducing the dorm or the metro moving one) are real bad, feel unnecessary and just pull you out of the game. But for all its dents and kinks, it is an okay game, will be looking forward to future updates.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Jaango

Giving it a 5 star considering its future potential. This is a demo version not that much content. Not every girls is introduced in this demo. Some good things about the game are MC is not a big pervert looking to bang the girls. I'm into slowburn romance games seems like this games satisfy this. Animations in the game are good except the jalen's front flip in the metro. But it's ok because dev is not that experienced. Liked jalen's rap add it more in next updates too. Seems like jalen found his love of life. But she is not visualised in the game don't break his heart dev, feel free to give him a girlfriend and don't allow MC to steal/romance her because best bros don't do that

Overall it's a good start for now the game's rating is between 3 to 4 because this is basically a introduction. But game got potential looking forward to next updates

Edit: v0.4.1

I'm glad I gave it 5 star before. I'm loving the visuals and how story is going. Keep up the good work dev
  6. 4.00 star(s)

Tauro Thurius

Westview Academy [Demo] Review by Tauro Thurius

Here is my take on DEMO version 1.0:

The demo is short and it introduces a few characters in the game. The dev shows their skills adequately with this demo, and it helped me make my mind to follow this game closely in the future. Characters that have been introduced are mostly likeable ( of course there are antagonists as well ). I especially liked Jalen.​

There are some music in the game during gameplay but none on the main menu. I liked the choice of music, especially the beat during Jalen's freestyle. I hope you'll include more trap music genre to the game in the future. I'd love to see Jalen's rap journey.​
    The quick time event in the game is VERY quick. I doubt that it's humanely possible to go through it without abusing the "roll back" system of Ren'Py. In my humble opinion it should be fixed ASAP.​

As mentioned before, the punctuation rules are all over the place but I'll bite, and assume it's simply in this state because of it being a demo. I'm sure with some polishing and proofreading it will be fixable with ease.​

4 out of 5 stars​
  7. 3.00 star(s)

oh45

[Reviewed: "Demo" v1.0 (sic, should be v0.1 or less)]
    The demo here is quite short, with only one choice so far that changes the story, even if it's only in a minor way. The images are fine, and there's fairly frequent use of animations -- usually in scene transitions/intros.

There's a quick-time sequence that (at least I found) to be a bit too twitchy with its half-second window. (I found having a one-second timeout to be doable with it still being a reasonable challenge.)

There were two programming bugs I found in my play-through:
    • A misspelled variable (Saint instead of saint)
    • An unset variable (ch1_ClydeFight) if one chose to remain calm
    There are no lewd scenes in the demo, nor are we even introduced to all the women in the game's title image. The text also (annoyingly to me) routinely fails to capitalize "I".

In my opinion, this game isn't really ready to be played, but it's not "that bad": I've rated it as average.