whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
the way i see it is trust is key. if you trust the dev then you believe they will finish and do the job there doing. also i think if you pay the dev's from the begging the your paying for what they had in mind. but every one has a right to pay are not pay for what they like.
Yup, value is entirely subjective.
Different things have different values, at different times, for different people.

For anyone to try and mandate how other people should, or should not, spend their own money is, quite frankly, ludicrously egotistical.

KingBea

Jul 26, 2017
1689389542796.png
Weekly report 166
Hi, everybody.
We've had a very busy and productive week. Here's a summary of our work:

Chestnut:
She worked on three cutscenes, designed two splash art images for the main menu featuring Mei and another secret character, did hands for Mei's character, and spent half a day testing the first quest again because she wanted to work on a cutscene and to get the art right (in this case we have deviated from the storyboard, and she wanted to recreate my placeholder images correctly), she decided to play the whole thing again.

Pistachio:
I rewrote a couple of dialogues until I was happy with them and spent most of my time posing scenes from Gomira's second quest. The tasks I had estimated are far fewer than the tasks necessary due to all of the changes, so I'm adding them as I go along. For one of the events, I had to add sound effects to get a better sense of it (sometimes, getting a scene as close to the final product helps you determine whether it works or not). Lastly, there were a few game-breaking bugs in the event I was working on, which I also fixed.

That's all.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Cheers

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
Yup, value is entirely subjective.
Different things have different values, at different times, for different people.

For anyone to try and mandate how other people should, or should not, spend their own money is, quite frankly, ludicrously egotistical.
I am far from advocating how anyone should spend their money. I am advocating for the right to make fun of people for doing so.

And I don't immediately subject a person who donates to WaL developers to ridicule, since they can do as they please with their money. What I want to make absolutely clear is following - you are not getting your money's worth for doing so. But like hitmebaby said, if art was founded on capitalist principles of profit - it would cease to exist, or at least, it wouldn't be as developed as it is today.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I am far from advocating how anyone should spend their money. I am advocating for the right to make fun of people for doing so.

And I don't immediately subject a person who donates to WaL developers to ridicule, since they can do as they please with their money. What I want to make absolutely clear is following - you are not getting your money's worth for doing so. But like hitmebaby said, if art was founded on capitalist principles of profit - it would cease to exist, or at least, it wouldn't be as developed as it is today.
Can we then make fun of you for whatever costly hobby you may have? Like, do you like coffee? Or going to the movies, or clubbing? Do you smoke? Do you enjoy watching TV platforms like Netflix or the like? Just a few examples of things I'm totally convinced aren't worth the money people spend on them, and that I can not really understand how on Earth have so many devotes. But going into a comic-con or whatever place where people who share the same hobbies meet, and saying it's my right to ridicule them would only make me look like a total cunt. But please do you do.

hrimthyrs

May 6, 2020
As somebody who upped his pledge to the Best Friend tier in order to get that triple vote to help push Gomira over the finish line and hasn't dropped back down to a lower tier since, I can assure you I am getting my money's worth, and you can sit the entire fuck down and shut the entire hell up about how I spend the money that I earn through selling my labor, busy body. If you tossed MagicNuts a few bucks and are unsatisfied with the results, you can cancel further support and they give refunds. If not, then go play another of the thousands of games available for free on this piracy site and stop wasting your damn time sticking your nose in other peoples' business.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
As somebody who upped his pledge to the Best Friend tier in order to get that triple vote to help push Gomira over the finish line and hasn't dropped back down to a lower tier since, I can assure you I am getting my money's worth, and you can sit the entire fuck down and shut the entire hell up about how I spend the money that I earn through selling my labor, busy body. If you tossed MagicNuts a few bucks and are unsatisfied with the results, you can cancel further support and they give refunds. If not, then go play another of the thousands of games available for free on this piracy site and stop wasting your damn time sticking your nose in other peoples' business.
lol
Keep your trap shut about things that are no concern & no business of yours.
Specifically how other people choose to spend their money.
Same page, same book. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
Can we then make fun of you for whatever costly hobby you may have? Like, do you like coffee? Or going to the movies, or clubbing? Do you smoke? Do you enjoy watching TV platforms like Netflix or the like? Just a few examples of things I'm totally convinced aren't worth the money people spend on them, and that I can not really understand how on Earth have so many devotes. But going into a comic-con or whatever place where people who share the same hobbies meet, and saying it's my right to ridicule them would only make me look like a total cunt. But please do you do.
I think you gravely misunderstand my words.
I am not here to make fun of people enjoying their fetishes, as I am here to do the same.
And yes, I spend money on things others in my life openly call frivolities - and I myself recognize that, objectively, there are other avenues more worth my time & money. However, I like (doing) them, as I feel like I deserve to treat myself on occasion.

Yet, you all insist I am here laughing at the fact that you are willing to donate to WaL developers.

Which I am not. I merely pointed out that, realistically, it's not worth your money to be an active Patron of this game.
If you, as a customer/Patron, feel differently - or justified in being one, by all means, knock yourself out. But know that you are essentially giving money away for very little value in return.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and all that wishy-washy stuff..

Reactions: Alix24

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I think you gravely misunderstand my words.
I am not here to make fun of people enjoying their fetishes, as I am here to do the same.
And yes, I spend money on things others in my life openly call frivolities - and I myself recognize that, objectively, there are other avenues more worth my time & money. However, I like (doing) them, as I feel like I deserve to treat myself on occasion.

Yet, you all insist I am here laughing at the fact that you are willing to donate to WaL developers.

Which I am not. I merely pointed out that, realistically, it's not worth your money to be an active Patron of this game.
If you, as a customer/Patron, feel differently - or justified in being one, by all means, knock yourself out. But know that you are essentially giving money away for very little value in return.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and all that wishy-washy stuff..
And once again, you are telling people what THEY should value. It is not your place, to tell other people, what to do with their money, that is the whole point, that you are STILL missing. It is not up to you, to decide what other people value. Stop now, and find a new topic.

Also, they are not paying hundreds of dollars for a game, they are paying to support the developers. Look up the word 'patron'.

Last edited:

lionarslan

Jun 11, 2017
This is a simple concept that people in this site really like to miss.
You see, it's easy to miss when so called support is an only way to access this or that developer's work. "If you don't support pay me you don't see my game" approach of almost every dev make people believe that they pay for the game. As a subscription. So I see it that way: "This is a simple concept that people asking for donations on sites like Patreon really like to miss"

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
You see, it's easy to miss when so called support is an only way to access this or that developer's work. "If you don't support pay me you don't see my game" approach of almost every dev make people believe that they pay for the game. As a subscription. So I see it that way: "This is a simple concept that people asking for donations on sites like Patreon really like to miss"
Except that they give it away for free... The only thing we are not getting are the extras and our names in the credits.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
But even in those cases, no one needs to 'subscribe'. You can just sign in after a new update is released and immediately cancel your pledge, and you'll have an entire month to download everything available to that tier. Kind of actually 'buying' the game. And, of course, there's still this forum.

Reactions: TheDevian

Sthr ▚ nix

Sep 9, 2018
"If you don't support pay me you don't see my game"
Oh, funny. Since i never actually pay them a single penny and i still have no issue to see their game. They released it for free.
Like this one for example:

I didn't see anything that ask me money for downloading the latest version of the game.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
You see, it's easy to miss when so called support is an only way to access this or that developer's work.
...which, in case of this particular game, never has been the case -- "What a Legend" always was available for FREE! People sending money to the devs via Patreon or any other way are actually doing so because they LIKE to SUPPORT them and their work.

Reactions: TheDevian

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Oh, funny. Since i never actually pay them a single penny and i still have no issue to see their game. They released it for free.
Like this one for example:

I didn't see anything that ask me money for downloading the latest version of the game.
...which, in case of this particular game, never has been the case -- "What a Legend" always was available for FREE! People sending money to the devs via Patreon or any other way are actually doing so because they LIKE to SUPPORT them and their work.
It's obvious this user was talking in a broad sense, not about WaL in particular. Anyway, the point still stands: even in those games that are paywalled, people only interested in 'buying' the game still have options to do so without 'subscribing'. Therefore, if they choose to keep subscribed for many months it's because they get their satisfaction from supporting the development and not just from playing the game. So they'll keep paying until they decide that this satisfaction is not worth their money anymore. But this 'that'd be enough' point is different for different people, and this is the thing that these 'financial advisors' who feel entitled enough to even making fun of others for the way they spend their own money seem unable to grasp. They tend to think people is kind of stupid for not making the same monetary decisions than them, and some of them don't hesitate in publicly critice those decisions, without realizing than, in that very same moment, they become the stupid ones.

zarqupang

Forum Fanatic
Nov 2, 2017
don't forget tho there are those in other countrys that come here to who don't have the same right's as others. but just asking can we please just get back to the game i find it to be good and the orc chick is smokeing hot to me.

4.70 star(s) 448 Votes