What are y'alls opinions on Renpy games?

mlkey

Oct 4, 2018
Personally i dislike them heavily. Im sure theres some golden ones out there but the majority just make me go :FacePalm:

(also this OP was modified by me since apparently the previous OP may have been conflictive?)

Last edited:

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
So, who brings the beer and where is the grill? I see a party is coming.:devilish::LOL:
And I don't want to be real.:cry:

But for the sake of this unique discussion, you can argument with any of the other engines that they are equal awfully for the same or other reasons.

So, what is your purpose for opening this thread?:unsure:

mlkey

Oct 4, 2018
So, who brings the beer and where is the grill? I see a party is coming.:devilish::LOL:
And I don't want to be real.:cry:

But for the sake of this unique discussion, you can argument with any of the other engines that they are equal awfully for the same or other reasons.

So, what is your purpose for opening this thread?:unsure:
this is the general discussion area, i believe i am not breaking any rules by doing so, and because it is a topic that can be discussed by people who might be interested?
In my case i wanted to get other folks opinion about this. :shrug:

Reactions: Anonimed

aidenboy

Jan 26, 2018
I'll bite. Now I don't know much about the inner workings of these games but I will say this. There are a lot of renpy games that work pretty good and have pretty decent graphics. I do think the majority are subpar but to be far we aren't dealing with Triple A companies. I originally had this same sentiment and thought they were awful but finding just the right games changed my mind on it. I found that the story was more important than graphics even though the graphics do matter. It just depends on how much they matter over everything else.

mlkey

Oct 4, 2018
I'll bite. Now I don't know much about the inner workings of these games but I will say this. There are a lot of renpy games that work pretty good and have pretty decent graphics. I do think the majority are subpar but to be far we aren't dealing with Triple A companies. I originally had this same sentiment and thought they were awful but finding just the right games changed my mind on it. I found that the story was more important than graphics even though the graphics do matter. It just depends on how much they matter over everything else.
for me its not the graphics perse, its the engine i guess. I am having trouble explaining it. But if theres any golden ones i have NOT come across them. Also not gonna mention cus my objective is not to diss anyones game specifically.

Reactions: aidenboy

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
To be fair, if you want to know any "golden one" you would probably have to say what kind of game is gold for you.

Because if you are into actual rendered games (3D or 2D) instead of images+videos (3DCG or 2DCG) then it makes sense to discard renpy.

mlkey

Oct 4, 2018
To be fair, if you want to know any "golden one" you would probably have to say what kind of game is gold for you.

Because if you are into actual rendered games (3D or 2D) instead of images+videos (3DCG or 2DCG) then it makes sense to discard renpy.
well not i dont mind cg's its more about the stories i guess. But like, give for example rpgm games, atleast you can walk around and do stuff. In renpy its kind of a glorified VN

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
In renpy its kind of a glorified VN
That's what they are really, so it does make sense to ignore them if you don't like vns.

But you can find some stuff with minor gameplay elements if you remove the VN prefix like this, probably something to consider. But even in those cases they are still mostly "enhanced vns".

• Red Heart
Reactions: mlkey

haksaw

Oct 10, 2019
Not liking Renpy games is like not liking a book because of the paper it's printed on. It has some (very small) point, but that's it. If you don't like VNs in general that's another topic altogether.

Reactions: Doorknob22

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
:sneaky::coffee: My opinion about Renpy:

Me: Nice book bruh.
Dev: Book? It's a game you stupid bastard!
Me: Game? What game?

Very few devs have the skill, the creativity, and the dedication to pull off something of this caliber in Renpy.
As such, you can mostly expect books from Renpy releases. Mostly rather boring books.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
But like, give for example rpgm games, atleast you can walk around [...]
So, one of the reason why you like RPG Maker games is the main reason why people tend to dislike it...

Note that this isn't a criticism, just a observation, and also a demonstration that the engine by itself isn't really to blame. Like for any other game engine, the problem is what people do with it, and what players expect from it.

While the realization isn't as good as it should/could and, from my point of view, the interest relatively limited, what a game like Lust Hunter have in common with the usual Ren'Py games, except precisely to be made with Ren'Py ? There's also the good old Sakura Dungeon, among some other games who decided to not follow the VN route.
If you want to find interesting Ren'Py games, you generally need to looks at games less liked. Precisely because they don't appeal to VN lover, while members who prefer more gameplay tend to avoid Ren'Py games, and therefore don't found the ones that could possibly interest them.

pepplez

Jun 7, 2020
I personally like Ren'py Games, however Void Treveler is right in that he/she refers to games as books. Many devs/writers describe exactly the picture shown, you could virtually play the game without graphics and just read the text, this is an annoying aspect or habit in my opinion. I mean it's called visual novel (emphasis on visual) why the superfluous picture explanations? I will probably never understand so I just skip unseen text and do it until a dialog appears.

bethrezen0

Jan 27, 2022
I don't like them either, it's not about the Ren'py as an engine, it's just a tool, it's about the majority of games made on it. So much shit that looks exactly the same with ugly DAZ renders, its not worth to rummage in this sea of shit in hopes to find something good, same with RPG maker, i mostly just hide these engines from search on here completely.

Reactions: docupoem

haksaw

Oct 10, 2019
I mean it's called visual novel (emphasis on visual) why the superfluous picture explanations?
Because usually a single picture (or even just a background with sprites) describe a whole scene that can go for a while. Making separate CG for any new development is troublesome, and I personally dislike that. I remember some game that had like 5 CGs for a simple scene where girl just moves around the room. That's annoying as hell, just write "She walked to the window and glanced outside" ffs.

Reactions: DuniX and pepplez

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Huh.. ok well i admit i am a dent. I didnt even know renpy was a VN engine

I would like to close this thread please
It's all good, mate, don't stress yourself. As with RPGM with RPG games, and Twine with CYOA text games, Ren'py is specialized on VNs. It's not a monster engine like Unity or Unreal, but VNs are easier to make with Ren'py than those two behemoths I mentioned.