What DAZ assets are you growing tired of seeing in adult games/VNs?

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
For me, it's 4 well overused room environments:

1)
2)
3)
4)

What are some of the commonly used assets, be they hair, clothes, characters, environments, etc, that you are tired of seeing in numerous adult games?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
The only one that bugs me for some reason is the model for Max from Big Brother. I don't know why it annoys me whenever I see that guy, it just does.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
What DAZ assets are you growing tired of seeing in adult games/VNs?
Let's change that question a bit
Are you growing tired of seeing DAZ in adult games/VNs?
Yes
So, what would you prefer? The reason DAZ is so common is that it's so accessible to indie devs. In lieu of DAZ we'd see either fewer games or more games using Honey Select or other such stuff.

It's incredibly refreshing to see games with unique, consistently styled hand-drawn art, but financial/organizational challenges are probably why we don't see more of that.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
So, what would you prefer? The reason DAZ is so common is that it's so accessible to indie devs. In lieu of DAZ we'd see either fewer games or more games using Honey Select or other such stuff.

It's incredibly refreshing to see games with unique, consistently styled hand-drawn art, but financial/organizational challenges are probably why we don't see more of that.
I agree. Many devs and aspiring devs (myself included) have zero artistic talent and would be unable to produce any visuals at all if not for a tool like Daz. I could barely manage a stick figure myself if I had to actually draw something rather than using someone else's art assets.

I do think too many devs are lazy about it though and overuse the base model for whatever character they're using instead of customizing it. There are lots of different shaping plugins out there that you can use to tweak a character a little so for instance you don't have 20 different games where the lead female looks IDENTICAL to the girl from DMD, or Max from BB, or whoever you might have a pet peev about.

I don't think it's as much of an issue for backgrounds, although just as you could customize a model with shaping options you could just as easily change/move around the furnature/paintings/etc for your rooms so they don't look exactly like some other game even if the base room is the same.

I think in general, most people appreciate it when a dev puts at least a little effort into customizing their visuals even if all they're doing is just tweaking a few sliders to do it.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
For me, it's 4 well overused room environments:

1)
2)
3)
4)

What are some of the commonly used assets, be they hair, clothes, characters, environments, etc, that you are tired of seeing in numerous adult games?
I get tired of seeing threads like this, with someone who lacks any skills to make a game having a dig at those who do.:unsure:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I agree. Many devs and aspiring devs (myself included) have zero artistic talent and would be unable to produce any visuals at all if not for a tool like Daz. I could barely manage a stick figure myself if I had to actually draw something rather than using someone else's art assets.

I do think too many devs are lazy about it though and overuse the base model for whatever character they're using instead of customizing it. There are lots of different shaping plugins out there that you can use to tweak a character a little so for instance you don't have 20 different games where the lead female looks IDENTICAL to the girl from DMD, or Max from BB, or whoever you might have a pet peev about.

I don't think it's as much of an issue for backgrounds, although just as you could customize a model with shaping options you could just as easily change/move around the furnature/paintings/etc for your rooms so they don't look exactly like some other game even if the base room is the same.

I think in general, most people appreciate it when a dev puts at least a little effort into customizing their visuals even if all they're doing is just tweaking a few sliders to do it.
When it comes to character models (particularly female) I wouldn't think little tweaks would be worth it. Things like hair, complexion, makeup... sure. But morphological changes seem risky. There's presumably a lot of effort put into them as they are, and it seems to me even little tweaks could easily make a face look "off". And it will probably still be recognizable as the original model anyway, so...

When it comes to environments/backgrounds... sure, it can get old seeing the same again and again. I definitely recognize three of the four mentioned in the OP. Maybe I'm not paying so close attention anymore, but I feel like I see less of the same these days than a few years ago. Either way it doesn't really bother me much. I can't really criticize devs for not wanting to be interior designers. ;)

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
True, but it kinda is an art to be able to create beautiful characters. The good thing about stock characters is they look decent out of the box. There definitely is a paradox of choice thing going on when you got a shit ton of sliders to move facial features around slightly to change how a character looks dramatically. I know I've given up more times than I can count, trying to make good looking female characters that end up looking like the King of Pop at his worst.

But one thing I am tired of seeing which, bare with me, it's gonna sound really fucking weird, is the fat, stubby fucken toe-looking ass fingers that comes default with every DAZ model. That shit is a massive turn off for me (I know I'm weird, deal with it). The one and only game I have ever seen with feminine looking hands and fingers is Dual Family.

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017
None, really.

Actually, it's kinda the opposite with me. There is one asset, a character actually, that I hope to see more often (and I usually download the game just because of her)

1589852371584.png

IMO, she absolutely gorgeous. Top 3 most beautiful character ever made for Daz3D.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
True, but it kinda is an art to be able to create beautiful characters. The good thing about stock characters is they look decent out of the box. There definitely is a paradox of choice thing going on when you got a shit ton of sliders to move facial features around slightly to change how a character looks dramatically. I know I've given up more times than I can count, trying to make good looking female characters that end up looking like the King of Pop at his worst.

But one thing I am tired of seeing which, bare with me, it's gonna sound really fucking weird, is the fat, stubby fucken toe-looking ass fingers that comes default with every DAZ model. That shit is a massive turn off for me (I know I'm weird, deal with it). The one and only game I have ever seen with feminine looking hands and fingers is Dual Family.
That's true, I've definitely had a few cases where I mess with too many sliders and wind up with the elephant man.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
When it comes to character models (particularly female) I wouldn't think little tweaks would be worth it. Things like hair, complexion, makeup... sure. But morphological changes seem risky. There's presumably a lot of effort put into them as they are, and it seems to me even little tweaks could easily make a face look "off". And it will probably still be recognizable as the original model anyway, so...
Pretty much this. Unless you got a lot of experience with creating faces, you pretty much need a ton of references to make a character not look off. And not just pictures of people, but from a specific angle and pretty much with a resting bitch-face. They need to look straight at the camera with zero expression, and atleast one from the side looking straight forward with zero-expression as well. Finding reverences like that is hard especially if you want a certain look. Even ignoring the fact how hard is to create something from reverences.

Reactions: HandofVecna

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I always tryed to make my own characters I mean change them to not look similar to others. But enviroments, man... it's just enviroment.

80% of f95 community even don't see difference in lighting on renders done by autolapm and custom lighting.
I think they will not look on enviroment, just butts and tits man.

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
80% of f95 community even don't see difference in lighting on renders done by autolapm and custom lighting.
I think they will not look on enviroment, just butts and tits man.
True, the only lighting I notice is the light that bounces off a girl's tits ;)

Reactions: Joraell

Sural Argonus

Chimpanor Productions
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
For the most part, some assets are overused...because few others of the same style exist that work well for certain things.

I *TRY* to dig deep and find stuff that doesn't seem to be re-used a lot...but in some cases...they just aren't out there.

Some don't work well with certain models either. Others are just a friggin pain to deal with.

For example...in the OP...they mentioned . I use this...because I spent a LOT of time trying to find an apartment asset that didn't look stupid, or require a lot of manual decoration (I suck at decoration).

The I13 stuff...well..that stuff just works well in general. That designer is pretty good.

You have to realize, people who don't use DAZ3D....environments aren't as simple as they are in say...Illusion, Koi-whatever that one is...or even...Uh..TKsomething or other. Even simple backdrops are a challenge sometimes.

Also realize that unless you are using alternate sites like ZoneGFX...a lot of assets are just not easily accessible. Even ZoneGFX doesn't have every one. Like here, they require people to have actually acquired the assets to share them on the site. Some of them aren't cheap either. Some of the assets run hundreds of US Dollars...so stop complaining about how some are used a lot.

Personally I like DAZ...Not a huge fan of the others...as the models aren't really to my taste. HS, the dev has to do a LOT of work to make the models less cookie cutter...I've tried. You need a crap ton of mods and extra assets to do things.

I've never worked with the others...but the games I've played...not a huge fan...Mostly because the models tend to look too cartoonish for my personal tastes.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
For the most part, some assets are overused...because few others of the same style exist that work well for certain things.

I *TRY* to dig deep and find stuff that doesn't seem to be re-used a lot...but in some cases...they just aren't out there.

Some don't work well with certain models either. Others are just a friggin pain to deal with.

For example...in the OP...they mentioned . I use this...because I spent a LOT of time trying to find an apartment asset that didn't look stupid, or require a lot of manual decoration (I suck at decoration).

The I13 stuff...well..that stuff just works well in general. That designer is pretty good.

You have to realize, people who don't use DAZ3D....environments aren't as simple as they are in say...Illusion, Koi-whatever that one is...or even...Uh..TKsomething or other. Even simple backdrops are a challenge sometimes.

Also realize that unless you are using alternate sites like ZoneGFX...a lot of assets are just not easily accessible. Even ZoneGFX doesn't have every one. Like here, they require people to have actually acquired the assets to share them on the site. Some of them aren't cheap either. Some of the assets run hundreds of US Dollars...so stop complaining about how some are used a lot.

Personally I like DAZ...Not a huge fan of the others...as the models aren't really to my taste. HS, the dev has to do a LOT of work to make the models less cookie cutter...I've tried. You need a crap ton of mods and extra assets to do things.

I've never worked with the others...but the games I've played...not a huge fan...Mostly because the models tend to look too cartoonish for my personal tastes.
Well, whilst I don't claim to be any great expert at DAZ myself, I have used it and got quite into it for several months last year to try and get to grips with the basics and have been getting back into it during the lockdown, even though I'm using a box-standard HP laptop that can't render for shit.

Right now I'd say I have somewhere between 200-300 different environments (living rooms, apartments, kitchens, bathrooms, etc), all of them official DAZ assets and all them obtained via sharing sites, including Collective3d's . I personally quite enjoyed creating rooms with this and assets taken from a variety of different products as it felt a lot like designing homes in The Sims, but I can understand if others might find that kind of thing boring and a bit of a chore, especially when it can just be easier to use pre-built stuff.

I guess what I was sort of trying to get at here is that, whether it's room environments, character models, clothes, etc, there are so many more out there that can be obtained freely. Yes, it's via sharing sites which aren't technically legal, but it's certainly beneficial for devs who are just starting out and can't yet afford to spend hundreds on assets. So I don't really understand why so many devs reuse the same stuff when there's a plethora of different ones out there on sharing sites such that someone like me, a complete DAZ noob who doesn't have the computing power to make a single render, can obtain and use them.

Reactions: ddeadbeat

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
I love this model, but out of all assets, I'm probably most tired of seeing this model with a different hairstyle each time.

I probably saw the model many times before this, but she finally caught my eye as Jane in Become a Rock Star. I haven't played a game yet where I've been able to recapture the same love for the model because I've already identified her as Jane.

Same with
Ever since Dreams of Desire, maybe even before that, there were about 20+ games (I'm probably exaggerating) that came out using Lilith 7 as the mom of said games, the most recent game I've played using her model being Lord of Imagination, which I actually like quite a bit.

Once a certain game with a stock model gains enough traction, you'll start seeing every new dev (not all of them obviously) come out the woodwork using that same asset, hoping to piggyback off of another's success. I have yet to see that actually work.
But the biggest model of all I hate seeing in games now is idiotbestfriend.jpg as your MC or your MC's best friend. At this point, enough is enough. There are plenty of other male assets available. If I see this model in a game, I'm positive he's gonna be my least favorite character and he almost always is. The only game I can put to memory where this isn't the case is BADik, and even then I'm not that fond of him.

I'm also a bit tired of the environments you listed, but I'm far more easygoing about those than I am actual characters because customizing environments can take a lot of work and if you're not careful you can end up pushing your rig to its limits unintentionally if you overpack it with props.

That's what happened to me a few months back while building the scene with Ayana and her mom. I had to completely scrap the first environment I worked a good 2 days on and go with something a little more "scene ready". The first environment would take up so much memory that it'd ignore my render settings while rendering, take up to 5 minutes to Iray preview, and often times make my rig sound like a heavy smoker trying to catch its breath when loading the scene.

Another thing about environments is that it can be a bit difficult to find something that works for your story. Maybe it's a family, in which case you need multiple bedrooms, maybe they're poor, in which case you need something that doesn't look too classy. Maybe they're rich, in which case, there are about 50 mansion-like environments in the Daz Store and Renderosity combined.

The ones you listed just work best for most story cases, not to mention they're insanely easy to render in. Swapping out some props and probably changing some furniture textures to give uniqueness here and there wouldn't hurt though, but they're very scene friendly environments.

There are a few other things as well. The stock animations from Renderotica, a thing that kinda plagued a game like Babysitter for a long time and the unedited Dicktator anatomy prop. I get that sex scene creation is easier when the dick is up in the girl's stomach so you don't have to edit the poses too much, but come on now.

Reactions: Holy Bacchus

Sural Argonus

Chimpanor Productions
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
Well, whilst I don't claim to be any great expert at DAZ myself, I have used it and got quite into it for several months last year to try and get to grips with the basics and have been getting back into it during the lockdown, even though I'm using a box-standard HP laptop that can't render for shit.

Right now I'd say I have somewhere between 200-300 different environments (living rooms, apartments, kitchens, bathrooms, etc), all of them official DAZ assets and all them obtained via sharing sites, including Collective3d's . I personally quite enjoyed creating rooms with this and assets taken from a variety of different products as it felt a lot like designing homes in The Sims, but I can understand if others might find that kind of thing boring and a bit of a chore, especially when it can just be easier to use pre-built stuff.

I guess what I was sort of trying to get at here is that, whether it's room environments, character models, clothes, etc, there are so many more out there that can be obtained freely. Yes, it's via sharing sites which aren't technically legal, but it's certainly beneficial for devs who are just starting out and can't yet afford to spend hundreds on assets. So I don't really understand why so many devs reuse the same stuff when there's a plethora of different ones out there on sharing sites such that someone like me, a complete DAZ noob who doesn't have the computing power to make a single render, can obtain and use them.
It's also ease of use. Some assets require a lot more effort to configure. I know there are multiple sites out there, but when you spend hours on a single render, you want to get them setup as quickly as possible.

Some of my best renders have taken 8-10 hours just to cook. If I spend time configuring and decorating before I even get to render...I could spend literally DAYS on a single render. That doesn't help for development, since I only have one computer and it is only using a 1050 GT card. Once I start a render...I could be going for almost half a day. Spending time on building and customizing rooms with that Create a Room pack (which I actually do have) would slow development down quite a lot.

If you are a dev that is part of a team, that is a totally different story. You can have someone setup renders, save them as scenes, and then send them to someone else who can render them (or if you have multiple computers, that works too)

However not all Devs can actually do that. I know I can't.