What do you feel about open relationships in games. (Not NTR)

Open relationships, yes or no? Maybe?

• Yup

Votes: 65 42.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Depends on the story

Votes: 53 34.6%

• Total voters

Mike Cross

Oct 4, 2017
I would certainly say "it depends on the story" as my short answer, but I think it is interesting to say why it depends.

Treating open relationships in erotic games by itself is a challenge because for this to work, it requires that the trope of characters who are hungry for sex be left aside so that the discussion about trust in romantic relationships gains space, something that requires the player to play the game without wanting something lewd to happen immediately.

Done the right way, this theme can provide characters that you can find believable and that you can get attached to, embarking on all your dilemmas and desires. However, this is not an easy task, especially in this kind of immediate gratification. I'm still waiting for games that can give me that, without it falling into the NTR trap.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
I'm still waiting for games that can give me that, without it falling into the NTR trap.
Dating My Daughter from MrDots is giving it a good attempt. It involves a limited open relationship and sharing with two other couples so far. Of course, there is the reaction you'd expect on the game thread from some people.

Reactions: Mike Cross

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
I would like games to be more realistic and unpredictable regarding relationships. So if you can bang many girls, all other girls can and you cannot fully control what is happening, just act accordingly and hope it's the right way to reach your path. It's like watching a film, I don't want to know what is happening before, I just watch it and then decide if I like it or not. It's not like we cannot interrupt playing if we notice things are not comfortable. Nobody is forced to play till the end.
I've played games were the girl you fancy dies and it was a bit of a shock, but they were among the best because they had a very good plot. Yeah, that was sad but it's just a stupid game not real life. It's like when you see a hot girl dying in a film, yes you hate the director for that, but at the end you judge the plot as a whole (still detracting points for letting a hot babe dying :mad:).
I've nothing against NTR, open relationship or strict fidelity (although it's not a funny fantasy to me) if the plot is engaging and scenes are hot. I like to be surprised and not being able to play God in a game (where everything happens according to your wish).

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
It's like watching a film, I don't want to know what is happening before, I just watch it and then decide if I like it or not. It's not like we cannot interrupt playing if we notice things are not comfortable. Nobody is forced to play till the end.
Yeah, and I'll stop playing any pseudo-deep games like Acting Lessons who think they're Game of Thrones and never touch a game by that dev again. I don't play these games for stupid drama and "WOW, THEY KILLED A MAIN CHARACTER, HOW BRAVE" plots. I mean there's clearly an audience for that type of thing, but I despise that shit.

Dec 24, 2020
So: way back when in the origional Corruption of Champions, I liked how you had this list of camp followers you could recruit who would also have scenes with each other. It's why to this day I am in search of bisexual harem games, where everybody in it has relationships with each other instead of just the MC.