• 3D Art

• Both...

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Valid argument. Though, there is always a case of gameplay videos and just playing it, and my rig may not be a beast, but it still looked damn nice.
Swiping this slightly aside. It's a matter of models and personal taste (and sometimes posing them properly), because I have seen few renders from Daz3D that looked really great and I would love to see that as CGs.
I've been pretty lucky, both FunFiction and HellsPerfectSpawn, who I work with on separate projects, are really talented artists. But I see how the average models may not excite as much. Still, I also know that my favorite game is one that uses models which aren't even that customised (If they're customised at all). They're rendered at an ok quality, but they're nothing to write back to mom about. So while this discussion is interesting, art isn't a good measure of production quality.

Its the same argument you'll see being made at the AAA gaming level. Sure, Activision and EA are making really realistic looking war games, however the gameplay mechanics aren't changing in any way that matters and the narratives are being completely abandoned. Games with quality story might have less perfect art, in fact, many of the games that get praise these days are those that go indie with a weird art style, because they provided something worth playing.

Yoshiiki

Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
I've been pretty lucky, both FunFiction and HellsPerfectSpawn, who I work with on separate projects, are really talented artists. But I see how the average models may not excite as much. Still, I also know that my favorite game is one that uses models which aren't even that customised (If they're customised at all). They're rendered at an ok quality, but they're nothing to write back to mom about. So while this discussion is interesting, art isn't a good measure of production quality.

Its the same argument you'll see being made at the AAA gaming level. Sure, Activision and EA are making really realistic looking war games, however the gameplay mechanics aren't changing in any way that matters and the narratives are being completely abandoned. Games with quality story might have less perfect art, in fact, many of the games that get praise these days are those that go indie with a weird art style, because they provided something worth playing.
I did edit my post, but it seems you quoted me before that :p
Depends how the art is used. On the cover or first image shown you only have few seconds to make an impression. So it's better to give your "A" game there.
Rest of the issue with 3DCG I see now is mostly in edit of previous post. And to expand on that, may not be as visible while it's a video/game instead of static image, be it due to fooling the brain, motion cap or just good animation, but going through some renders, posing does seem to be the case, at least for me.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Yeah, most Daz3d models fall right into my uncanny valley, I just feel there's something wrong in there I can't explain. The posing might indeed be a big part of the problem, also the expressions and the overuse of makeup or similar effects. Then again it's not like I'm a super fan of Illusion, it's just that I feel their models more organic and at easy in their own aesthetic (except for when people use ginormous breast, those always feel wrong to me).

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Me like both, but also hate both. All depend on the creator skill.
In 3D, I want it semi-realistic and semi-fantastic. Too much realistic then there's no point in it.
In 2D, I want it super-fantastic. That's the freedom of 2D, but not for everybody.

I can compromise new developer in 3D, but for 2D, I only want the best creation.

Jun 20, 2017
As a weeb trash, 2D all the way.

But I don't hate 3D, I'm open to the idea. It's just that the Final Fantasy VIII looking models strike me a wrong chord.

There's also the fact that I prefer the sensibilities and over-the-topness of the Japanese developers. Western developers have their heads too much up their asses with "muh realism" and I don't care for that most of the time.