What do you think about adult VN with sandbox/open world element?

Jul 22, 2019
Good Sandbox games aren't that complicated.
They are basically a collectathon, capture or conquer all the sex scenes at your own pace.
Can you elaborate a bit more on that please? So a bunch of discrete quests or maybe separate independent storylines scattered around the world, where you can pick any and just do them at your own pace. Would that qualify as a sandbox in your book?

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Can you elaborate a bit more on that please? So a bunch of discrete quests or maybe separate independent storylines scattered around the world, where you can pick any and just do them at your own pace. Would that qualify as a sandbox in your book?
A sandbox means they have more girls to pursue in various ways or unlock various sex scenes.
You also don't need to be a grinding simulator for the "relationships", instead you can have various puzzles, quests and achievements to unlock and progress.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
I separate sandbox games into two categories, light and heavy. A light sandbox is one where there is exploration, maybe some goals set that need to be achieved, and the ability to have more freedom of choice on how the story unfolds; I.E. Go into Sister1's bedroom before you go into Sister2's bedroom. Heavy is one where you have to get a job, grind up points for something, earn money, etc.

I don't mind light sandbox games, in fact, if they are well done I can like them better than VNs. I dislike heavy sandbox games for the most part. I have found a few that weren't too tedious, though this is rare.