Others What is the best engine for a Brothel game?

May 31, 2020
Good morning.

I would like to make a game but i am inexperienced in this matter.
What is the best engine for a Brothel management game like a:
That Brothel Game
Rule 34 Brothel Remake
Brothel 34
Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

I can do this games using Twine or Ren'py?

https://f95zone.to/threads/that-brothel-game-v0-3-violetambush.103580/
https://f95zone.to/threads/rule-34-brothel-remake-v1-3e-r34.76029/
https://f95zone.to/threads/brothel-34-v1-02-fallow-and-waves.44583/
https://f95zone.to/threads/brothel-king-v0-2-goldo.3282/

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
Simulation games can be quite UI-heavy, so you'd want something that makes it easy to create menus and layouts, and place buttons and graphics.

I could bet my left nut that people here would recommend Ren'py every single time regardless of the game you're making but it may be a good choice in this case, if you can figure out how to break out of the VN mold and you're comfortable taking it off-road. It's a visual novel engine after all, but it has some UI capabilities to make buttons and menus for options and things like that.

I'd steer clear of anything web-based unless you're absolutely determined to publish your game as a website. HTML/JS development can be a nightmare unless you know what you're doing. I have yet to play a Twine game that didn't bug out on me halfway through and trivial things like saving a game are inherently unreliable in a browser.

Personally, I use Unity.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I could bet my left nut that people here would recommend Ren'py every single time regardless of the game you're making but it may be a good choice in this case,
They would because in this case it's the best compromise between Flash (that would have been the best fit) simplicity and Unity flexibility.

It's a visual novel engine after all, but it has some UI capabilities to make buttons and menus for options and things like that.
It's an engine initially developed for Visual Novel, but that's all. You haven't put the same disclaimer-like when you hinted in direction of Unity, an engine initially developed for 3D real time games, what his game clearly isn't.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
Funny how I recommend Ren'py, yet get called out for not recommending it enough.

My nuts are forever safe on this forum. XD

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: anne O'nymous

JoGio

Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn't go with Renpy. You'll have to do a lot of work from scratch no matter what engine you go with, so go with Unity or Unreal. Game Maker might be a good option too? I'm not sure since I never used it but many say it's easy to use.

My issue with Renpy is that it's very easy to create a game riddled with errors (the annoying gray screen) and make it so saves break every time your game updates. Save breaking is a huge turn off for most people.

Unreal is nice because it has really powerful UI building features. I think Unity has a similar set of tools as well.

shark_inna_hat

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2018
This is the wrong question to ask.
There is no 'best engine to make XYZ type of game', but there might be a 'best engine YOU CAN USE to make XYZ type of game'.

Have you used Ren'py in the past? Do you know how it works and how to use it? - if yes, Ren'py might be good for you, if no - well, do you want to learn how to use ren'py and make games with it in the future?

Do you know C++ or have experience with UE5? Yes? Why the hell are you asking questions here!? Go compile something or whatever it is you C++ people do...

Do you know C# or have experience with Unity? Yes? Use Unity.

Do you know Python? Well, there are a lot of options but none of them are really great. If not Ren'py, maybe Kivy? Kivy is good for a custom UI, but it has no game logic, it's just a ui framework. Or you can use Bryton and write like a total nutjob. Godot uses something that's like Python, and Godot is good. Use Godot.

You're a frontend/full-stack web developer? Use your HTML/CSS+JavaScript skills to make your game. Bundle it with Electron if you want to hide the fact your game is just a website with bells and whistles.

If you have no programming skills - what kind of skills would you like to learn?
Learn C++ if you hate yourself (you will hate C++ more in the end) and become John Carmack 2.0
Learn C# and code your own asset flippers and shitty mobile games or whatever it is people do with Unity these days (JK, Unity is good)
Learn Python and... I don't know? Become a data scientist? I heard pandas is still big....
Learn HTML/CSS+JavaScript and become a front end/back end/full stack developer. There's a new javascript framework for that...

If you don't want to learn no stupid programming... well, are you sure you want to make a game? And if so, are you sure you want to start with a management game where you have to code everything because there is no One-Click-Instant-Just-Copy/Paste-Your-Images-Here-Manager-Game-Engine (as far as I know)? Yes? Um, ok... Unreal Engine is for you, forget what I said about C++, you don't need that shit, just wing it with 'blueprints', I'm sure there's a tutorial for that on YT.