What is the best way to make a custom room/house for your own game?

DankRichochet11

Aug 28, 2019
I don't want to use pre made assets due to how it'd limit and force me to change my story, I also read about PCon Planner too but there's so little guide about it it's hard to really do something unique there(like when I try to make a second floor the ceiling block the stairway and there isn't a clear way to make outside of the house and stuff). So what would be the best way for me to make a custom room? What can I do to make the house I wanted?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Using PCon, blender maya, max or any other 3d software is the only way you are going make truly unique assets of any type, but trust me, each of them is a whole new learning curve in itself, then you have to get the models into DAZ and the materials right, which is easier said than done. My advice is if you want to make a custom room is make one out of already existing DAZ assets.

• Red Heart
Reactions: DankRichochet11

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
Collective 3D Create a room serie is pretty flexible and easy to work with. Maybe a little expensive but... well its daz.

But it will depend on the desired style. A house with a large bay window in the end all it takes is a few cubes and a material. The most complicated are the complex structures such as windows, doors, stairs, etc.

For props obviously you always have to go through multiple assets or creation (but it's another world)

You just have to accept that it takes time. That said nowadays there is quite a lot of choice and diversity for props and I think that by researching well you can create something unique and to your taste.

Do not hesitate to ask here or elsewhere for a little particular assets. Or how to transform / modify them.

• Red Heart

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
Using PCon, blender maya, max or any other 3d software is the only way you are going make truly unique assets of any type, but trust me, each of them is a whole new learning curve in itself, then you have to get the models into DAZ and the materials right, which is easier said than done. My advice is if you want to make a custom room is make one out of already existing DAZ assets.
If one is able to make a room in Blender, why not render in there as well?
Coming to think of it, I don't remember seeing a game here with Blender renders. I know there must be, but I can't remember.

I know that Blender is harder than Daz to get good, but if I was good in Blender I would stay there.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Coming to think of it, I don't remember seeing a game here with Blender renders.
Because they don't exist.

As for using it, I can use 3dsmax just fine, I have no idea how to make a visual novel with it but. I can also download and render 20 pieces furniture in the time it would take me to make one in max. I'm one of those right tools for the right job sort of people.

DankRichochet11

Aug 28, 2019
You mean you don't want to search or learn?

There are so many tutorials about Pcon, there is no way to say something like "so little guide about it".

If you don't want to learn, then no one can help.
I didnt say "I dont want to learn", as you can see from the tutorials non can answer my problems, I've looked at them each. Searched for tutorials in youtube, still non answered my problem. If you are telling me PCon's own 20 vid tutorials are enough ok I can't say a thing to you but I've made my research and couldn't find a thing where it says how to get rid of the ceiling blocking the stair's way.

I've tried making a room in blender but when inserting to the DAZ the each part the room(walls, stairs, doors, windows etc) had lost its scale and each of them had a different scale for some weird reason and thought maybe it really wasn't a bright idea. But if it is possible to make it work, I believe I cando the whole house from blender, thanks!
Collective 3D Create a room serie is pretty flexible and easy to work with. Maybe a little expensive but... well its daz.

But it will depend on the desired style. A house with a large bay window in the end all it takes is a few cubes and a material. The most complicated are the complex structures such as windows, doors, stairs, etc.

For props obviously you always have to go through multiple assets or creation (but it's another world)

You just have to accept that it takes time. That said nowadays there is quite a lot of choice and diversity for props and I think that by researching well you can create something unique and to your taste.

Do not hesitate to ask here or elsewhere for a little particular assets. Or how to transform / modify them.
First of all thank you for your comment, I'll look into Collective 3D Room. And for props what I'm aiming to do is model every single prop I can myself. I know it will take a lot of time and maybe wont be good as like the DAZ Asset props but I want my first project to be something I can improve upon. I'm not afraid to spend time because I'm believing that would be the best for my game.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Not much I can add here... The last time I recall this topic being raised... the answer was Pcon.

Perhaps that thread has some pointers that the tutorials online didn't already include.

You might try approaching monkeyposter_7. I know he's done some custom rooms (bedrooms and locker rooms) for Thirsty For My Guest by creating the bare bones in Blender and then importing the model into Daz (where, if I recall correctly, he used Daz to add textures and stuff).
That said, I suspect any of his limited free time is already committed to working on his game.
But he's the reason I was awestuck to see how well Blender can create moving/flowing fabrics like curtains and simulate their movement in real time in primitive form.

• Red Heart

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
I know he's done some custom rooms (bedrooms and locker rooms) for Thirsty For My Guest by creating the bare bones in Blender and then importing the model into Daz (where, if I recall correctly, he used Daz to add textures and stuff).
Ye, i made a lot of custom environments in blender and still do.
Blender is awesome but it needs learning time put in (like anything else) and it eats away time from posing the scenes. And when i started making my own models I didn't know that rendering things will be slower if you add shit tons of edges to them, so I try to keep them simple as possible.
But, yea, there is tons of guides on youtube for blender and most imporant thing is learning the interface and tools. Once you figure that out you can start making own things. And the blender forum is great with very nice people that will help.

• Red Heart

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
Here's a nice vid from Blenderguru about the process of making a realistic room scenery
- and even the Pros take a lot of stuff from libraries to save time

and another one:

if you render it in Daz Iray you'll have to make/ adapt all the shaders in DazStudio

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Is Sketchup an option? The only thing I know about it is that it is used to design buildings. I share the OP's concern about most pre-made room assets in DAZ as many are created by people who obviously have no architectural backgrounds. For instance I've seen a few stairwells where you would clearly bang your head on the ceiling if you took a walk up them. Some DAZ rooms don't even have doors.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Is Sketchup an option? The only thing I know about it is that it is used to design buildings.
Export in fbx, centimeters for the scale and you should be fine. You can fine some free models .
You will have to rig door & windows mostly. Real deal gonna be reshading surfaces (slap an iray shader on all surface then use any iray preset, vMaterials, user-made iray shaders, or copy paste any surfaces you like from any tiled/plain surface). If you have 75 surfaces to do it's gonna be alright, if you got 800 it's gonna be a tad bit boring :whistle:.

Last edited: