What makes a game GREAT in your opinion...

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Daz is in about 12th place, if that's what you mean by "as good as"

View attachment 245479
Sometimes you have to take a step back. Reread and apply a bit of logic. Otherwise, you may end up looking like a fool :p
We're talking about adult indie creators. Not triple AAA Hollywood studies with tons of resources and manpower.

Of course, there are tools for big studious. But for the one man adult creator it is about:

Does it have enough assets to use?
How long does it take to make one proper render?
Can it be made as good as the other tools that indie creators use (not the one the triple AAA studious uses)?

And in that sense - yes. Daz has a lot of assets wherein blender you have to create a ton of stuff from scratch. Hence the time issue.
The blender vs Daz talks is usually not as much about the render quality but rather the render originality.
In the 3d community, many loathe Daz because of the easy accessibility in which they mean it's not truly 3d art since they haven't made it from scratch and the fact that Daz renders tends to have the same look as they use the same base models. We adult creators do not really care. We're not making art, we're making a game. And we want a tool that can make good renders in a good timeframe.

So yeah, Daz is not what Pixar going to use in the near future. But we ain't Pixar.

It's like if two indie guys who are discussing which software is best to animate on and a third guy comes in and add tons of condescending emojis and say *lul Pixar best animation software has*.

Well, no shit sherlock, haha.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Character responds to input so that actions feel weighted. One idea not explored to my knowledge is the concept of weighted actions that influence the direction and demeanor of the individual you're engaged with. So far only a few games have introduced some level of weighting to engagement and those have been binary serving only as a minigame for getting to climax.
care to ellaborate on this?

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
In the 3d community, many loathe Daz because of the easy accessibility in which they mean it's not truly 3d art since they haven't made it from scratch and the fact that Daz renders tends to have the same look as they use the same base models.
I'd just add that Daz characters tending to have the same look is a lot less about missing options in Daz and a lot more about lazy devs. Yeah, if you take a stock character, give them some different hair, make the boobs 50% bigger and go render they are going to look like shit everybody has seen a million times. There are so many options to make characters unique in Daz through various morphs, skin textures, etc. The fact that there are so many games with characters that are almost identical is actually embarrassing.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I'd just add that Daz characters tending to have the same look is a lot less about missing options in Daz and a lot more about lazy devs. Yeah, if you take a stock character, give them some different hair, make the boobs 50% bigger and go render they are going to look like shit everybody has seen a million times. There are so many options to make characters unique in Daz through various morphs, skin textures, etc. The fact that there are so many games with characters that are almost identical is actually embarrassing.
Very much this.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
And then there is the other side of that, when you try to create characters that are original, and people try to rip you a new arse hole because they don't like the unique characters you created. Sometimes it ends up being a lose-lose proposition. Truthfully, I think that developers who just clone existing characters and change the hair and boob size are just lazy, and don't want to be bothered with trying to learn how to work in Daz and actually try to create something unique.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Zee95 creates ALL his backgrounds with 3DStudio Max... everyone
That is impressive imo. Yes it takes longer but kudos to him for doing it.

And looking at price per product, Daz is free and yes Blender also others are not. Blender has a very steep learning curve i know as i played around with Blender a lot.

At the end of the day we devs have to decide speed versus art... DO we make an art expression or a game? Do we make patrons wait? Do we rush our product?

Sometimes you have to take a step back. Reread and apply a bit of logic. Otherwise, you may end up looking like a fool :p
We're talking about adult indie creators. Not triple AAA Hollywood studies with tons of resources and manpower.

Of course, there are tools for big studious. But for the one man adult creator it is about:

Can it be made as good as the other tools that indie creators use (not the one the triple AAA studious uses)?

And in that sense - yes. Daz has a lot of assets wherein blender you have to create a ton of stuff from scratch. Hence the time issue.
The blender vs Daz talks is usually not as much about the render quality but rather the render originality.
In the 3d community, many loathe Daz because of the easy accessibility in which they mean it's not truly 3d art since they haven't made it from scratch and the fact that Daz renders tends to have the same look as they use the same base models. We adult creators do not really care. We're not making art, we're making a game. And we want a tool that can make good renders in a good timeframe.

So yeah, Daz is not what Pixar going to use in the near future. But we ain't Pixar.

It's like if two indie guys who are discussing which software is best to animate on and a third guy comes in and add tons of condescending emojis and say *lul Pixar best animation software has*.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Animations - hands down. 5+ frames per loop is ok. And never make a mistake about facial expression as they should be on a stand still in an animation loop.

The plot - how can you make a prude mc and an npc commit a taboo without the use of corruption, cock show, mind control, blackmails, training(I dont mind about these fetishes but for me, they're kinda oversaturated. But that's just me). If by sweet words, it must have a shock-and-awe value to npc and gamers alike. If by turn of events, they must be really funny, thrilling, and/or tragic. Not just some 'oh, that explains it' or worse, a plain 'huh?'.
Models - nuthin much to complain but a fresh face would be a great welcome.

And oh please, if possible, don't oversize the critical parts of their body like, FUWHOOOOM!!! I for one have had enuff... Or atleast make them proportional if possible.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Zee95 creates ALL his backgrounds with 3DStudio Max... everyone
That is impressive imo. Yes it takes longer but kudos to him for doing it.

And looking at price per product, Daz is free and yes Blender also others are not. Blender has a very steep learning curve i know as i played around with Blender a lot.

At the end of the day we devs have to decide speed versus art... DO we make an art expression or a game? Do we make patrons wait? Do we rush our product?
I think the problem is in your question. The patrons have expectations, and I think a lot of development decisions get made because of those expectations, and not necessarily because of the author's overall game plan. Except for maybe Palmer and Dr. Pink Cake, both of whom I respect incredibly.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I think the problem is in your question. The patrons have expectations, and I think a lot of development decisions get made because of those expectations, and not necessarily because of the author's overall game plan. Except for maybe Palmer and Dr. Pink Cake, both of whom I respect incredibly.
That is not how it is.
Patrons pledge because they support the dev and his/her vision.
Only when the dev stray from the original vision do they speak up.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I think hes referrign more to devs who gave in to fans/patrons demands more than their vision.

For RTP i have a vision and i will not deviate from it, i however am not death to ideas to some extent.

That is not how it is.

Reactions: HopesGaming

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
And then there is the other side of that, when you try to create characters that are original, and people try to rip you a new arse hole because they don't like the unique characters you created.
You can't please everybody. I have passed on plenty of games because the characters looked fucking boring and played out. Maybe I'm shallow but if you're just going to stick the Dating My Daughter girl into your game I'm going to keep walking. And I didn't even play that game. But that bitch is everywhere.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Yah but she fine....

You can't please everybody. I have passed on plenty of games because the characters looked fucking boring and played out. Maybe I'm shallow but if you're just going to stick the Dating My Daughter girl into your game I'm going to keep walking. And I didn't even play that game. But that bitch is everywhere.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

Yes, yes, I was just correcting where you left out "Daz is just as good as *some other entry level hobbyist software" in your prior post.
But you're wrong to assume that "these developers" are limited in their capacity. These devs, can send their work to the same render farms that Hollywood uses, so you are just wrong.
Any Daz asset can be used in Blender, or other professional render engines, so I'm not sure where you're going with that statement, unless you're saying it's hard to use millions of other asset formats in Daz. I believe that's already been mentioned a few times.

If you were arguing that Daz renders are unrealistic enough to avoid the uncanny valley, I'd be on your side. Daz isn't capable of jumping that chasm, and if you can't land it on the other side it's best to stay back. In fact, more to the point of this thread topic... Players much prefer animations, live action, over realism. At 30fps the eye doesn't need as good a quality in the render. A high quality still of an awkward posed Genesis 3 with a pointy spike tongue jabbing a cock falls deep in the valley.
But player love an animated blowjob, even if it has some faults.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Plenty of people didn't like what Acting Lessons turned into, me included. I don't really care if it was his "vision," if I don't like it I don't like it. It also kind of depends on how you communicate that vision to your players. When Acting Lessons turned into a nonsensical drama-fest halfway through nobody really saw that coming. Now we know that that's apparently his fetish, so those of us who aren't into that can skip his games.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Players much prefer animations, live action, over realism. At 30fps the eye doesn't need as good a quality in the render. A high quality still of an awkward posed Genesis 3 with a pointy spike tongue jabbing a cock falls deep in the valley. But player love an animated blowjob, even if it has some faults.
I actually prefer renders to animations most of the time. Most devs aren't animators and don't know what they're doing, so most of the animations aren't good. Also when they finally manage to crank out their "impressive" animation they take it as an excuse to stop writing for some reason, I guess they assume the player will be so bedazzled by the animation that no further dialogue or narration is necessary during the scene.

Writing makes sex scenes as much as renders or animations do. Write better sex scenes.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Life with Mary case and point. To me her first time with MC was so well done.

Then there's Lucky Mark, Super Alex for me is a master, he hardly uses anims but more camera angles and creats really amazing looking sexy renders.
Of course Dreams of Desire another non anim one

I actually prefer renders to animations most of the time. Most devs aren't animators and don't know what they're doing, so most of the animations aren't good. Also when they finally manage to crank out their "impressive" animation they take it as an excuse to stop writing for some reason, I guess they assume the player will be so bedazzled by the animation that no further dialogue or narration is necessary during the scene.

Writing makes sex scenes as much as renders or animations do. Write better sex scenes.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, yes, I was just correcting where you left out "Daz is just as good as *some other entry level hobbyist software" in your prior post.
But you're wrong to assume that "these developers" are limited in their capacity. These devs, can send their work to the same render farms that Hollywood uses, so you are just wrong.
Any Daz asset can be used in Blender, or other professional render engines, so I'm not sure where you're going with that statement, unless you're saying it's hard to use millions of other asset formats in Daz. I believe that's already been mentioned a few times.

If you were arguing that Daz renders are unrealistic enough to avoid the uncanny valley, I'd be on your side. Daz isn't capable of jumping that chasm, and if you can't land it on the other side it's best to stay back. In fact, more to the point of this thread topic... Players much prefer animations, live action, over realism. At 30fps the eye doesn't need as good a quality in the render. A high quality still of an awkward posed Genesis 3 with a pointy spike tongue jabbing a cock falls deep in the valley.
But player love an animated blowjob, even if it has some faults.
Nothing wrong with correcting someone. Being condescending without reason, however, will just make for a toxic environment. No need for that.

You say everyone can use Hollywood render farms. Well, tell me which one as I could really have use of an affordable high-end hollywood farm.
Simply moving Daz assets into blender? And ignoring all the small issues that comes with doing that.

Ask yourself why this isn't the norm. Why aren't all of us devs simply using some Hollywood farms?
Why are we not all simply taking it into blender? I guess we devs are just all stupid, haha.

Jokes aside, I think a lot of your points comes from a lack of knowledge and more the *I think* talk.
Which is okay, but rarely goes anywhere.

Anyway, too much sidetracking on the thread from my side.