What MetaHuman means for erotic games

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Considering they're as anatomically correct as Barbie and Ken... not much, for now. We'll end up having to...err... strap on some stuff before any magic can happen.

Reactions: AshleyEve1610

Omae wa shinda

May 25, 2020
Rise of FAKE Human
It would just mean some creator might migrate to better platform for creating their character if they find this useful and stick with it . Honey select and Koikatu each have their own niche so it create a different "taste" for what kind of their game need. This would just be adding of new flavor like pineapple on pizza or cherry on burger.

CocoVC

Aug 10, 2018
The current early access only allows you to edit their face; in my opinion, the future version of MetaHuman will allow you to edit their entire body.
However it is a big leap from creating a realistic human character and getting it to do lewd things.
You have to export it, import lewd animations, etc.
I think there will be a slight increase in UE-created games, but not enough to shake the industry.
DAZ, Honey Select, and Koikatu will still be the go-to source for anyone wanting to make "render based" VNs.

Raw Magic

Gangster
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2021
I don't think that it will change much, at least for now. Realism is good but only if everything else is align to it. If the character is ultra realistic it's easier to trash the animation because every single error will make it look fake and akward. with not so realistic characters, you can get away with animations less fine tuned. The same happens with expressions, cloths ... everything has to be ultra realistic to match with the scene

Jun 23, 2020
Looks like they didnt drop it and are still developing the customization of it. Saw this piece of tech couple months ago as a recommendation and was mezmerized on the accuracy of the software. The Texture fidility is really setting the bar for 3D softwares. Curious to know how they are going to use this for movie or lokal broadcasting services, specialy with lockdowns some parts of the world.

Jul 23, 2017
Doubt much at least for the foreseeable future. More advanced 3D artists will have to reply here I am still a beginner myself (learning Blender). But this is my view in any case....

Daz3D and SFM are both excellent adult posing tools but both require you to either import assets over or buy assets to use in them. You can't make fresh assets in either toolsets.

While then you have Maya3D and Blender and any others I am not aware of where you can make 3D models from scratch and pose them or import them into Daz3D just to pose them if you for example have backgrounds in Daz3D you want to use and just use Blender for the models.

Then you have MetaHuman and to my understanding this is more for game development and will be heavily linked to Unreal engine. This tool will be for devs to do a 3D scan of their actors or hire even models just to use their likeness in the game, scan them and then once scanned metahuman handles all the animation. At least this was my understanding of the tool.

So for adult game development I don't see how it will be of any help unless you have a- the scanning equipment and b- the models you want to have in your game as real people who can want to hire and scan (or scan yourself for example).

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
This tool will be for devs to do a 3D scan of their actors
From what I see the generated faces are fully procedural, and I think it works something like Honey Selects Fusion System by blending multiple morphological features and parameters. No tweaking every damn individual bone here.
That means it will be dirt easy to create characters out of nothing.

And if that is the cased, Daz is pretty much Dead. Unreal can do a good job with environment assets in realtime also.
Maybe the only advantage it has the Clothes Simulation.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Metahuman characters are extremely high poly and in it's current state only really useful for prerendered sequences, performance wise they'd break every realtime game, they're extremely unperfomant.
They might be good for VN's, but then again who uses unreal for VN's?
Long way to go until we really see such characters in a game.

Jul 23, 2017
With LOD Tools and the billion ways to bake material maps, that means nothing.

Who uses Daz for VNs?
"Who uses Daz for VN's" --- are you serious? A lot of the VN's on these forums use Daz3D for their scenes lol....

I've noticed a trend here people are replying to the OP and you just come in and want to start a nonsensical argument with every person lol

Also what you replied to me was wrong, all the characters in MetaHuman so far are human scans. No procedurally generated characters promised or featured anywhere. Not sure where you got this information from but a link would be great if you did find somewhere that states this.

And in fact on the official website it even says you use pre-set models and can mix and blend models together as well as morph them but your starting point is always the pre-set models.

For larger companies obviously they will be able to work with Epic and have scans done of their actors to be imported into the tool as well.

Reactions: Choo-choo

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Okay, so it seems my posts got deleted for whatever reason and I didn't even get a notification? :WaitWhat:
Clarification please!

• Wow
Reactions: Innocent Chloe

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
"Who uses Daz for VN's" --- are you serious? A lot of the VN's on these forums use Daz3D for their scenes lol....
It was a rhetorical question based on the quote.
And in fact on the official website it even says you use pre-set models and can mix and blend models together as well as morph them but your starting point is always the pre-set models.
That's the whole point! You want to fiddle with every damn little bone manually?

Jul 23, 2017
It was a rhetorical question based on the quote.

That's the whole point! You want to fiddle with every damn little bone manually?
That's still not "procedurally generated characters" it is 3D models that have been scanned based on real people. You can just morph them. You can do the same in Blender and Daz3D

pollenart

Apr 19, 2019
as long as the software is attached at the hip to Epic Games and what entails with that f****** company... DAZ Studio is safe

AlinaGames

Jan 3, 2021
Gonna be a bit of a rant, but I think theres a few points to bring up about this tech

Metahuman is probably going to push other character generators to have a face animation quality around 80% of metahumans. 1200 bones on a single character is extremely excessive when talking about npcs, but you could possibly get close with ~200 bones + ~60 or so blendshapes. Strand hair still requires an rtx 30 series to have playable framerates (if you want literally anything else in your game), so you'd just have a bunch of bald characters running around...

BUT, because they released the maya rig for free, we should see a general increase in the quality of character deformations from new games as they now have a benchmark with breakdowns to go off of.

This will be great for the... realistic visual novels? Not sure what they are called... Most of their work is done offline from what I can tell and if you just take a metahuman rig, wrap deform a nude mesh + some tinkering and sculpting, you could get amazing results with not a huge amount of effort. A lot of movies will do something similar in order to get characters animated without needing to re-rig 800 characters from scratch.

In our game, we're using the new maya rig as an example of how to do corrective body deformations. The face rig is too complex to easily breakdown and that level of quality just isn't necessary. I've always seen dope body rigs from Steve(Wildlife), but had no idea how it works. This rig is very similar to his in a lot of ways, so it's a great way to rip apart the back end and get a similar result.

At the end of the day 90% of us have some form of stylization in our games, so a hyper real character creator will only do us so much.

In terms of the non-adult world. Virtual productions need to run at 120 fps in order to not cause errors while on set(most sets don't have 3090s or quadro a6000s yet...). These characters are too intensive for it to revolutionize the virtual production world as it stands today, but a few years down the line, we could see some really cool "live" TV broadcasts.

Reactions: Krosos

steamyvr

Mar 17, 2021
I think it all depends on context. It’s not just about technology capabilities but what’s being done with it. For example if this kind of thing takes too many resources I doubt many people will develop with that. And I agree with other comments about competition. This is good for the overall market. It will bring higher quality from everyone in order to stay competitive.