What MetaHuman means for erotic games

Apr 18, 2021
That's still not "procedurally generated characters" it is 3D models that have been scanned based on real people. You can just morph them. You can do the same in Blender and Daz3D
Yes, you can do the same in Daz3d and like Daz you're only *modifying* existing models much like Victoria 8, Michael 3 etc. but unlike Daz products, it animates in real time. You can use motion capture and control the animations of your Metahuman in real time like an avatar.

They are also working to be able to do this with DAZstudio right now but it's not real time and isn't as accurate.

So saying that Metahumans is limited because you can only work off of premade scanned models is like saying Daz3d is limited because you can only work off pre-existing characters like Genesis. Yes, limited yet people make thousands of creative versions.
Here is an example of a guy making himself in Metahuman with very little effort.

Finally a HUGE difference is that both DAZ and Poser have always had very steep learning curves with unfriendly user interfaces. Metahuman looks to be both more powerful AND easier to use out of the box.

Jul 23, 2017
So saying that Metahumans is limited because you can only work off of premade scanned models is like saying Daz3d is limited because you can only work off pre-existing characters like Genesis. Yes, limited yet people make thousands of creative versions.
Here is an example of a guy making himself in Metahuman with very little effort.
Errr... unless I am mistaken I never indicated Metahumans is limited? Why are you saying I said this? :p

Someone else here said it was procedurally generated characters, I simply corrected that statement saying it was premade characters.

Never once did I say Metahumans is limited. I did say it would be a useless tool for adult game development. But I never once said it was limited.

Apr 18, 2021
Never once did I say Metahumans is limited. I did say it would be a useless tool for adult game development. But I never once said it was limited.
Saying "it would be a useless tool for adult game development" is the same thing as saying it is limited. I'm saying that a year after Metahuman's full release you are going to see adult games using it to revolutionize the genre.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
So if it requires a year's worth of practice for it to look good, what's the difference then? Most people can't pose a face to save their life. They all look like nightmare people to me, with detached jaws and eyes rolling to the back of their heads. I can never get into these types of games for that reason. I doubt Metahuman will do anything to sway me, unless someone really talented steps up and proves me wrong.

In general, you can avoid a lot of the pitfalls of uncanny valley by going for something a bit more stylized. So it being more realistic isn't necessarily better, in my opinion.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
So if it requires a year's worth of practice for it to look good,
The whole point is to be easy to use and mass produce characters for games. As a Tool that's what's intended.
In general, you can avoid a lot of the pitfalls of uncanny valley by going for something a bit more stylized. So it being more realistic isn't necessarily better, in my opinion.
Then why do people use Daz characters? Because they have no choice, those characters is what is available.
Sure you have something like Honey Select, but that is a Legal No No for any Commercial game outside of the
Patreon "Grey Market".

Jul 23, 2017
Saying "it would be a useless tool for adult game development" is the same thing as saying it is limited. I'm saying that a year after Metahuman's full release you are going to see adult games using it to revolutionize the genre.
Oh by limited you mean, "limited for adult game development" then yes, I did indeed say that. I thought you meant I said the tool itself was limited as in general for any game development.

It's all cloud based I really fail to see how anyone can even use it for adult game development.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Oh by limited you mean, "limited for adult game development" then yes, I did indeed say that. I thought you meant I said the tool itself was limited as in general for any game development.

It's all cloud based I really fail to see how anyone can even use it for adult game development.
You can export the characters. I think it's only to Maya at the moment but since it's still in development I wouldn't be surprised if other options will come along.

If it will be big for adult gaming I doubt it. Just making characters is one thing, you need to pose them, rig them if necessary, add genitalia, etc. Most people use DAZ because Daz does it for them somewhat easily. I doubt people will switch to something ells if it isn't as easy. Maybe some ambitious people will give it a go, but overall I doubt much will change.

Jul 23, 2017
You can export the characters. I think it's only to Maya at the moment but since it's still in development I wouldn't be surprised if other options will come along.

If it will be big for adult gaming I doubt it. Just making characters is one thing, you need to pose them, rig them if necessary, add genitalia, etc. Most people use DAZ because Daz does it for them somewhat easily. I doubt people will switch to something ells if it isn't as easy. Maybe some ambitious people will give it a go, but overall I doubt much will change.
But when you export it doesn't it then lose that animation quality and fidelity of the models. The reason it looks so damn good is because it is all being rendered on the cloud rather than on your PC. Even if you had an RTX 3090 you can't render that quality.

Obviously you can tell people who are perhaps not devs themselves and just purely gamers who play adult h-games are clearly very hyped about the thought of having an adult game with the visual fidelity of MetaHumans and sure. My first thought as well was "hey this looks awesome, wonder if I can use this for my adult games" and then after looking further into it I quickly realised that my initial hype was a tad silly as it just is not designed for that and is a very closed platform. Perfect for normal game development, bad for adult game development.

That's my take anyway - again I am an amateur game dev myself and am still just learning Blender and doing some work on my first game. I perhaps took the long hard route of going Blender rather than Daz in the hopes that it lets me fulfil my own creative vision better and higher quality VN game. I've yet to come anywhere near to even ready for a v0.1 release so other more experienced devs will be able to provide far better insight into MetaHumans than I can.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
But when you export it doesn't it then lose that animation quality and fidelity of the models. The reason it looks so damn good is because it is all being rendered on the cloud rather than on your PC. Even if you had an RTX 3090 you can't render that quality.
It doesn't have to. The animations are most likely saved like mesh displacements (like the vertices in the mound corners move X,Y.Z to make the character smile). These animations can be exported. The video i watched about exporting it to maya actually had all the animations exported with them. As for rendering Unreal Engine is a real time rendered, like Eevee in Blender. It's just much better optimized. Yeah its rendered in the cloud, but even if it wasn't you don't need a massive PC to render real time stuff. If your pc can handle the latest AAA games on ultra quality, your pc should be able to render the metahumans in realtime without much problems.

getting the same quality in other render programs is a different story though. It's exclusively designed with unreal engine in mind, and it will most likely not translate well to other programs.

Reactions: Innocent Chloe

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
The video i watched about exporting it to maya actually had all the animations exported with them.
When I tried the MH demo some time ago it didn't export body rig (nor clothes or hair) just the face rig. Maybe it changed and I'm outdated? It's possible lol. I'm somewhat dubitative about MH tho, not technology wise - there is a lot of great things (generating auto-lod, decent strand hair/clump options, decent eyes shader, overkill rig and so on) - but more about Unreal policy approach.

I doubt they take an off-hand approach (kinda like Daz did) and not sure they ever reach the versatilty Daz assets have (ie sexy/skimpy assets), or we see any kind of genitals (with official or semi official implementation). Could be totally wrong tho, but hmm.

A Daz2MetaHuman script could be spicy and bring some food to the table :unsure:.

It's exclusively designed with unreal engine in mind, and it will most likely not translate well to other programs.
It's rather 100% standard (diffuse, roughness, specularity & normals). +Dual lobe & micro details o/
Eyes & strand hair are indeed a bit different tho.

Vreek

Apr 8, 2020
I was able to register and play around with the metahuman thingie here Possibly everyone is able to 'early access' the thing.

The whole editor works in the browser and graphic results are streamed back to display much like twitch or youtube.

To download a metahuman I used
It has a bunch of export/download options. See screenshots for yourselves. It seems as if the metahuman characters can only be saved as either Unreal Engine oder Source Engine assets. Via plugins you can export directly into Maya/Cinema 4D etc. - I didn't find DAZ in the list. Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 14.33.09.png Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 14.34.58.png Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 14.35.48.png Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 14.35.52.png

DoubleLust

Feb 16, 2021
metahuman will be pretty decent if enough custom content is created for it, or it will end up like maximo, otherwise you can create Daz3D characters with the same level of detail using LOD's and substance materials, and will a little tweaking you can mocap a daz character.

Krosos

Engaged Member
Dec 1, 2018
My first Run result very simple only tried to understand the basic functions of the interface

Jin Feng Huan aka Kendra

It's no real HTML5 application its a remote Video Application Access Session Time limited

Most probably they also Study what you do ;)

It seems to run in a Special Unreal Engine Setup with Nvidia RTX possibility which can create a lot of Noise under certain light conditions ;)

Most stable are the interior and studio environments the outdoor is tricky to keep relative noise free

niuson.jpg

Not sure about the Video output and quality it can degrade the results a lot need to experiment with that overhead and which browser tackles it the best for my setup currently

Last edited: