What turns you off about a game almost immediately?

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
Repetitive grindy tasks that only exist to waste your time.
No options menu/No rollback,skip or auto function
No build ups to the sex scenes
Devs introducing tags just to please a loud minority
unavoidable fetishes
Bad or no animations
The most basic character models you've already seen in a hundred other games already.
Same copy/paste premises like a girl moving to a big city that brings many challenges, someones father died etc.
character models with unrealistically huge breasts and asses.
games with only ugly old male characters
slowburn games with no or bad sex scenes
false advertising like having tags like corruption, rape etc.and the girl instantly turns in to a slut and likes everything.

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
- Unplayable without guide. I dont download a game if I see a link with detailed guide on the main page. All this info should be inside game hints and quest descriptions, not in a separate pdf.

- Games where I have to choose one LI over another. So I will have to replay it again to see missed content of another route.

- Slow text animation with no option for instant showing. Its a waste of my time to read a wall of text, while it appears slower than I'm reading it. I also like to skip boring stuff instantly.

- Games where MC can masturbate. Ususally it means a ton of grind before I have sex with anyone. And all that time I will have to watch some dude playing with his dick.

• Haha
Reactions: Driver9r and Agrik

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
Bad Writing
-Kind of a catch-all category, encompassing quite a few things. At the most egregious you have poor grammar, MTL translations from non-native English speakers, full chat-bot scripts, and sloppy prose. These are usually the things that you can pick up super quick, if not outright obvious in the preview screenshots. More higher level problems usually take a bit longer to show themselves (e.g. lack of a strong creative voice), but are usually deal-breakers as well. If your narrative is so juvenile that I'm facepalming every other frame from the stupid shit on screen? If you so lack in imagination that all you can write during a sex scene is people moaning or commenting on the sizes of their genitals? Get the fuck out of here.

Bad Animation
-People need to stop doing it. If you're not an animator and you don't care enough to put in the effort to learn how to be one, just don't do animation. Spend that time, effort, and energy on doing anything else better. Improve your writing, or the framing of your still shots, or literally anything else. When animation is done poorly, it looks far worse than having not done it at all. Bad animation tends to be distractingly bad. It grabs the attention of your audience, and if you cannot deliver on a good animation, all you've done is create an ugly distraction that actively detracts from the overall experience.

AI CG
-Clear sign of either laziness or being a grifter 99% of the time. In a more general sense, anyone who's cool with stealing art from millions of artist across the internet without permission by proxy through apps created by the unholy combination of tech-bro douchebags and venture capitol ghouls? They can get fucked.

RenPy Games Starting in Full Screen
-I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor, and RenPy does not work properly with G-Sync out of the box. So when stock RenPy goes full screen, it bugs out and only refreshes at like 10 frames per second. A fix does exist, but as of yet there is only one developer (DumbKoala) who consistently applies the 'nVidia Fix' to their projects. Everyone else is just supremely annoying.

Last edited:

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
Bad or no animations
Pick one or the other. If you're bugging devs to add animations and they don't have the skill for it, all you're doing is pressuring them to create more bad animation; which is so pernicious because so many devs think it's a bullet point feature that they need to include, and almost all of them do so poorly.

Maybe if people were content about not needing animation, there would be less bad animation to wade through. Just a thought.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Huge turn off for me would be ugly protagonist characters. i can't stand playing a VN game with an ugly protagonist.

Satyrsfaction

Mar 8, 2020
Almost everything that bothers me has already been mentioned before. :D
Whether ugly, boring, stupid, whiny or arrogant MCs, but also those who seem inauthentic,
downright ridiculous (e.g. like the male lead in 'Valerian' OR the MC in 'Treasure of Nadia' ).
Developers whose story dialogues almost seem copied from one of their previous games.
Women and/or girls who give herself/surrender far too quickly, whether to the MC or to the antagonists (NTR).

I hate, when achievements/scenes require you to perform illogical, incomprehensible or poorly explained actions.
- e.g. In DragonAge I have to choose a certain dialogue at a certain point in the story for one of
my companions - to toughen him up - so that he marries a queen towards the end of the story, otherwise he refuses. :rolleyes:
- e.g. in SWtoR my character says completely different sentences than the dialogue option suggests and
often even a statement to the contrary - THAT annoyed the hell out of me)

Size matters? - when the main part of the story is actually only determined by penis size (of the MC/AT).
AT here = antagonist ( )
- is here a common abbreviation for antagonist / bully?
Oh ..does LI means Love Interest ?

A game that opens in fullscreen by default. Serious pet peeve, and I wish devs would stop doing it.
I agree with you, but it also bothers me when a game doesn't offer a full screen
or I have to trick around or do some internet research to get it to work.
(last time - some days ago - I selected in a game-app "Full Screen" via prefs
and the result was that a part of the bottom dialog window was off the screen.
Only by changing the properties of the game-app:
"Override High DPI scaling behavior" -> "Scaling performed by: Application" solved the problem.)
Override-high-DPI-scaling-behavior-(Settings).png
(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
*Mc who looks/acts like a schoolboy punk. (You're making a game for adults, so make your mc look and act like one.)
*Abnormal fun bit sizes. (I'm fine with a horse cock if it's attached to a horse, not a human. Though temporary abnormal size alterations gained via magic/alchemy is okay.)
*Elementary school-level writing. (You're making an adult game for adults, right? There you have it then.)
*MS Paint-level art. (If this is where you stand art-wise, then for the love of everything, learn how to AI.)
*Years in "development" with nothing or almost nothing to show for it. (Not a fan of copium mining personally.)
*Kinetic novels. (I like having shit to do. K-novels are just books with pictures, i'd much rather read manga then.)

Well, stuff like that, won't even bother downloading in many cases. :whistle::coffee:

Reactions: Losersriot

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
See, I mostly agree with you, except this one. Absolutely horrible advice. "Hey, you're not good at this yet, so instead of getting better at it, it's better to let a machine do it for you."
I couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not my dude.
I don't have any prejudices against or problems with high-effort AI art, and that's that. :giggle::coffee:

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not my dude.
I don't have any prejudices against or problems with high-effort AI art, and that's that. :giggle::coffee:
It's not about prejudices or problems. Your advice for someone trying to learn and cultivate a skill is "you suck, let a program do it for you."

What kinda bonkers mentality is that?

Reactions: EvolutionKills

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
AI art is a tool, you need some creative capacity to use it well, I honestly can't expect a person void of any creativity to produce a masterpiece, it's the same as saying that there's no point painting because now we have photography and everyone can be a photograph?

Reactions: Losersriot

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
Thinking that AI art requires no skill is indeed bonkers mentality. You should fix it my dude. :giggle::coffee:
Being an 'algorithm whisperer' takes about as much skill as being a 'psychic'. Sure there is skill involved (cold reading), but it's not what you think (literally talking to the dead or reading minds). Throwing text prompts at a incomprehensible black box dozens of times to get something close to what you think you want and then editing the shit out of it to fix its cavalcade of flaws is a skill, but probably not in the way you'd like. I mean, if you're that skilled at image manipulation, why can't you just do something original yourself? And if you can't image manipulate yourself out of a wet paper bag, all you've done is encourage another sap to gorge on the troth of venture capitalist ghouls and global spanning art theft. Plus there are other options, like our fine tradition of machinima and appropriating games assets for new creative uses, meaning even someone with a potato can setup a modded Honey Select and generate images.

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
it's easy to use a camera, you point it at something and you press a button.

it's not about how hard it is, It's about what you're capable to do with it, and how you can communicate your thoughts.

Reactions: AlBetGam