What type of character would you want to be in a fantasy game?

If you had a choice as to which of these 3 the main character would be, which one would you want?

• Total voters

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I'm working on a game with a fantasy theme, focusing mostly on a struggle between vampires, werewolves, and mages. My original plan was for the main character to become a vampire but I'm curious what everyone else would prefer? I'm looking for kind of a cross between Underworld and The Dresden Files.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Jonathan Y

Dec 1, 2020
Nice idea, I loved the Underworld movies.
I hope you're taking inspiration from the first one, or atleast the earlier ones though, the thing about the Underworld series is, they get progressively worse with each new installment, atleast that's the general consensus.

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Nice idea, I loved the Underworld movies.
I hope you're taking inspiration from the first one, or atleast the earlier ones though, the thing about the Underworld series is, they get progressively worse with each new installment, atleast that's the general consensus.
It won't be based on the lore from that series anyway. What I meant was that it's based around a struggle for power between the vampires, the werewolves, and the mages, and set in more of a modern setting like Dresden Files. Basically they're all building toward a war of supremacy. Planning to have a mix of good guys and bad guys in all 3 factions. I may have some other supernatural factions as well for flavor but they won't play major roles.

Planning to have both story and RPG elements in it and the power mechanics for all 3 factions are going to have sex as a component. For instance, the werewolves will be obsessed with increasing the potency of their bloodline through selective breeding, and they won't be asking for consent. Basically submit or die.

The vampires will most likely be part incubus so their feeding and procreation process will involve both blood and sex. The mages magic will focus around blood and sex rituals and sacrifices. So a lot of the lore will be based around stuff people have heard of before but some of it will probably be tweaked a bit to require more of a sex component than a non adult story would.

Regular humans will also be involved but most of them will be unaware that vampires/werewolves/mages even exist outside of fairy tales, so most of them will be innocent bystanders and pawns in the battle. For regular humans, probably only the military and the church will be aware of the supernatural.

Lots of the factions will have blood relations that they want to protect who are still human as well so there will be reason to make deals and alliances across factions. For instance a vampire MC might make a deal with a werewolf pack or a mage to protect what remains of his human family during the day while he sleeps. The human military will be a legit threat to all of the factions so they have incentive to maintain some degree of restraint to prevent an all out war with the regular humans.

Jonathan Y

Dec 1, 2020
It won't be based on the lore from that series anyway. What I meant was that it's based around a struggle for power between the vampires, the werewolves, and the mages, and set in more of a modern setting like Dresden Files. Basically they're all building toward a war of supremacy. Planning to have a mix of good guys and bad guys in all 3 factions. I may have some other supernatural factions as well for flavor but they won't play major roles.

Planning to have both story and RPG elements in it and the power mechanics for all 3 factions are going to have sex as a component. For instance, the werewolves will be obsessed with increasing the potency of their bloodline through selective breeding, and they won't be asking for consent. Basically submit or die.

The vampires will most likely be part incubus so their feeding and procreation process will involve both blood and sex. The mages magic will focus around blood and sex rituals and sacrifices. So a lot of the lore will be based around stuff people have heard of before but some of it will probably be tweaked a bit to require more of a sex component than a non adult story would.

Regular humans will also be involved but most of them will be unaware that vampires/werewolves/mages even exist outside of fairy tales, so most of them will be innocent bystanders and pawns in the battle. For regular humans, probably only the military and the church will be aware of the supernatural.

Lots of the factions will have blood relations that they want to protect who are still human as well so there will be reason to make deals and alliances across factions. For instance a vampire MC might make a deal with a werewolf pack or a mage to protect what remains of his human family during the day while he sleeps. The human military will be a legit threat to all of the factions so they have incentive to maintain some degree of restraint to prevent an all out war with the regular humans.
Wow, you really have some great ideas in there, good luck

paust.alex

Apr 15, 2018
A vampire is a very bad idea, just like a dog. Vampires are dead, so can't get a hard-on, and what's the point of eternal life if you can't get a hard-on? Werewolves are just dirty mutts, I can't imagine how much disrespect you have to have for yourself to trade the majestic and noble appearance of a human for the dirty skin of a dog.
It all depends on the "gameplay" of the world in which the events will take place, for example, in Gothic I couldn't play a mage because of their abnormal cast time, so it was easier to run with a two-handed weapon. In Warcraft too, mages don't perform well in the early stages and only then, as the ilvl grows, they ramp up.
I'd probably become a paladin - jack-of-all-trades, no matter what world you find yourself in

Jonathan Y

Dec 1, 2020
A vampire is a very bad idea, just like a dog. Vampires are dead, so can't get a hard-on, and what's the point of eternal life if you can't get a hard-on? Werewolves are just dirty mutts, I can't imagine how much disrespect you have to have for yourself to trade the majestic and noble appearance of a human for the dirty skin of a dog.
It all depends on the "gameplay" of the world in which the events will take place, for example, in Gothic I couldn't play a mage because of their abnormal cast time, so it was easier to run with a two-handed weapon. In Warcraft too, mages don't perform well in the early stages and only then, as the ilvl grows, they ramp up.
I'd probably become a paladin - jack-of-all-trades, no matter what world you find yourself in
''Majestic and noble appearances of human''. Hahahahahah. Sorry that was s good one lol.
Besides they're not just mutts good grief, some movies do portray werewolfs as norm sized wolves upon transforming, but others have them as humanoid creatures.

Jofur

May 22, 2018
Playing a Vampire is probably more interesting since mages are quite ubiquitous in the RPG space. You could also give them a lot of neat powers like trances and stuff. Werewolves are a bit too far into the furry territory for me to enjoy personally.

Also, speak about the lore, shouldn't vampires be the ones who use blood magic type stuff rather than the mages since blood it's kinda their whole thing?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Not a fan of vampires or werewolves I take it? That's fine, but pretty much all of the vampire lore I've heard says they draw their power from blood. With all the different powers vampires can gain from blood, I don't think using it to make their dick hard would prove very difficult if that's what they wanted. It's just that most lore doesn't give them any benefit from sex, so they don't really have a reason to engage in it. There are still shows that do let regular vampires have sex though. Underworld does it. True Blood does it. I'm sure there are others. They just don't NEED it. It's not how they procreate. My vampires are part incubus so they DO need it.

So far it seems that mages are the most popular choice, although there's not enough responses yet to really tell. I don't plan on doing much if anything with mind control. I've never been a fan of that mechanic because it's just too powerful. I'm certainly open to making the main character more of a Harry Dresden type though and having the vampires and werewolves be antagonists.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Playing a Vampire is probably more interesting since mages are quite ubiquitous in the RPG space. You could also give them a lot of neat powers like trances and stuff. Werewolves are a bit too far into the furry territory for me to enjoy personally.

Also, speak about the lore, shouldn't vampires be the ones who use blood magic type stuff rather than the mages since blood it's kinda their whole thing?
I won't be doing any human on wolf sex scenes. My werewolves will always be in human form when having sex. Wolf form is for fighting, travelling, and hunting. Vampire sex scenes will also always be in human form. They might have some transformations they can do for combat but they won't have sex in that form.

Vampires don't really need magic to do what they do with blood, unless you just consider their existence itself as magic. I suppose there could be vampires who are also mages but I probably won't do that.

As for the magic used by mages, I want there to be a dark side to using their power. Rather than being purely knowledge based, it will draw power directly from the mage (kind of like a sorcerer from D&D), so the more powerful the magic, the more it will drain him (or her). An evil mage might get around this a bit by using a human sacrifice, killing or weakening someone else to fuel his magic. A mage with more of a conscience might be more likely to do something like a sex ritual, drawing power from both himself and whoever he's having sex with, weakening both of them temporarily. He might also use his own blood in rituals rather than the blood of others.

So my mages won't really be the battle mage type hurling fireballs left and right in the heat of battle. That would probably require a mass murder caliber sacrifice that a good mage would never do. Mages will definitely have a reason to hire some muscle in one form or another to help them out. They will definitely be physically weaker than both the werewolves and the vampires. Also, based on what they're willing to use to gain power, evil mages will probably tend to be more powerful than good mages. You can presumably get more power by rounding up a room full of people and sacrificing them than you could by having an orgy or something.

Regardless whether MC ends up being a vampire, werewolf, or mage, most of the opponents he faces will probably be more powerful than he is until close to late game. He will have to make deals and alliances to overcome more powerful foes.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
''Majestic and noble appearances of human''. Hahahahahah. Sorry that was s good one lol.
Besides they're not just mutts good grief, some movies do portray werewolfs as norm sized wolves upon transforming, but others have them as humanoid creatures.
My werewolves will take a lot of inspiration from Viking lore as far as how their society is set up (I've actually been rewatching the Vikings TV show lately). They take what they want by force.

Jonathan Y

Dec 1, 2020
My werewolves will take a lot of inspiration from Viking lore as far as how their society is set up (I've actually been rewatching the Vikings TV show lately). They take what they want by force.
Oh I fucking love the Vikings show.
Although, and I do apologise if I'm repeating myself like a idiot here, the first seasons with Ragnar and the beginning of their raids and exeditions were definitely the highlight of the series before the quality kind of decreased as seasons went by, common troupe I know.
Will the werewolfs have some kind of nordic-like religion ? Like praise warriors and strength, Valhalla or something similar in the afterlife etc ?
Oh and I noticed you mention the show True Blood ? Will there be other supernatural creatures sprinkled throughout the world such as shapeshifters, maenad's etc ?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Oh I fucking love the Vikings show.
Although, and I do apologise if I'm repeating myself like a idiot here, the first seasons with Ragnar and the beginning of their raids and exeditions were definitely the highlight of the series before the quality kind of decreased as seasons went by, common troupe I know.
Will the werewolfs have some kind of nordic-like religion ? Like praise warriors and strength, Valhalla or something similar in the afterlife etc ?
Oh and I noticed you mention the show True Blood ? Will there be other supernatural creatures sprinkled throughout the world such as shapeshifters, maenad's etc ?
My plan for the werewolves is actually going to kick off with a bit of an internal war within the werewolves where a dominant faction of werewolves from the scandinavian region of the world arises with a belief system centered around the Vikings. They won't necessarily all be that big on religion, but the ones who are will favor pagan Norse gods over the more traditional religions. They don't consider lycanthropy to be a curse or a disease, but a gift from the gods.

They think they're superior to the human race and should rule the world, not hide their nature. But humans have the numbers for now, so they want to expand both the population and the strength of the bloodline within the werewolves until they can openly challenge humans to rule the world. As they migrate to other regions of the world they will dominate all other werewolf packs (at least initially) and enforce their own ways on them. There will be plenty of werewolves who want to turn them back and keep their own ways intact and they might turn to other factions for help.

I'm planning to have the arrival of these viking werewolves basically be the instigation behind the power struggle for the other factions. Both the vampires and the mages see this sudden rise in aggression by a seemingly much stronger than usual breed of werewolf and have to adapt to the new threat. The viking werewolves will be much more ruthless in their ways than human society or any of the traditional werewolf packs. Things like human sacrifice, slavery, etc will all be fine to them as a means to earn the favor of the gods, so there will be strong incentive for pretty much everyone to oppose them.

I might have other shapehshifters but the werewolves are going to be the ones with the lust for power. Any other shapeshifters will want to remain neutral and will try to stay out of the conflict as much as they can. The Maenad from True Blood is actually a good example of the type of magic system I want to use, drawing power from sex, death, sacrifice, etc. The one in True Blood seemed excessively powerful for my taste though. If I use them they would be toned down in power, but the human mages will haves similar rituals for "powering up" their spells.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
A rapist?
Not sure which characters you're asking about. I don't plan to have any options for the MC to commit forcible rape, but most other means of coercion will be on the table. Some of MC's opponents might rely on force but I don't plan to focus on that. Things like intoxication, pay for play, deals, blackmail, etc will all be on the table though. I'm definitely not going to restrict myself to present day definitions of consent.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Not sure which characters you're asking about. I don't plan to have any options for the MC to commit forcible rape, but most other means of coercion will be on the table. Some of MC's opponents might rely on force but I don't plan to focus on that. Things like intoxication, pay for play, deals, blackmail, etc will all be on the table though. I'm definitely not going to restrict myself to present day definitions of consent.
Don't reply my shitposts seriously mate. I will feel bad.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
There are a lot of options within all three types and their potential desirability in a sex game varies accordingly.

Twilight vampires are good for romance but kinda boring since they're largely just better hoomanz. Old-fashioned Nosferatu make great horror/guro monsters but a cohesive society with consensual relations is a hard sell. Run-of-the-mill ageless pale zombies are easy to mod back into normal humans to avoid the necrophilia squick or can simply be appealing as-is (see RE8...). The blood mage or eldritch abomination variety like Alucard can have really kinky sex with tentacles and other bizarre transformations/summons. But to me the core aspect of most vampires, the blood-drinking combined with a more covert, refined or otherwise sophisticated lifestyle, lends itself more to a slower story-driven game heavy on writing and emotions over action or gore. Tentacle monsters are a dime a dozen, there is no particular reason to cast a vampire in that role unless you just happen to really be into that stuff.

Werewolves are kind of the opposite. At their core they're brutish and visceral and have an involuntary aspect to their existence. Monsters, discount bestiality, violent rape as you already mentioned and usually very little in terms of character. "Beastmen" (without the magical transformation/disease aspect) nowadays tend to be just furry fodder and overall I see these as offering the least interesting options, but potentially also the safest and most satisfying in something like an action-RPG. The stock male protagonist acts like a 24/7 werewolf anyway.

"Mages" are simply too broad to evaluate. I am not sure whether your comments were aimed more at defining their domain of magic or their power level. In sandbox games the "sex mage"/"half-succubus" type character/class/build tends to be very useful because it offers easy access to a wide variety of content, but that role could just as easily fall to a vampire who feeds off semen and has hypnosis type mind powers (or just high charisma). Generally the more limited and less sex-oriented the powers get the more frustrating they are to play in my experience because it usually devolves into either spamming default RPGM spells or playing as a mundane human saving all your mana for otherwise inaccessible sex scenes. But eldritch cultists, spirit mediums/"magical detectives", summoners/ritual crafters and the like might also be considered "mages" and can have a lot of interesting content even if the game doesn't have any combat magic at all. Oh and one man's blood mage might be another man's vampire, see Vladimir from LoL.

Personally, since I have no qualms regarding fictional bestiality or necrophilia it would come down to the actual implementation. Your replies don't really add up for me: you plan on having a modern setting presumably with motor vehicles, firearms and telecommunication and the supernatural existing in a hidden parallel society unknown to muggles, yet you also want to have a viking werewolf invasion? And to top it off vampires (and presumably werewolves) won't have much access to practical functional magic while mages are severely limited in overall power, so how does that not end in a hail of silver/wooden-tipped bullets and UV flashlights before chapter 2? What makes the supernatural characters interesting enough to focus on them in the context of a porn game instead of skipping all that and jumping straight to character relations and sex positions with regular humans?

Reactions: khumak and kytee

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
Out of the three, I think a vampire lends itself more to an adult game than the other two. But I agree with most of what the guy above me says. I think you've done a lot of lore building but I don't see anything about story building. No one cares about the lore of a game if they aren't first invested in its story. You can build out the logic of how the world works all you want but it'll all feel mechanical and convoluted if you don't have a compelling perspective into that world. Complex lore can give you a unique story to tell but it can also easily become a meaningless mess of ideas.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Out of the three, I think a vampire lends itself more to an adult game than the other two. But I agree with most of what the guy above me says. I think you've done a lot of lore building but I don't see anything about story building. No one cares about the lore of a game if they aren't first invested in its story. You can build out the logic of how the world works all you want but it'll all feel mechanical and convoluted if you don't have a compelling perspective into that world. Complex lore can give you a unique story to tell but it can also easily become a meaningless mess of ideas.
And to spell it out again in case it wasn't clear from my previous post: given the site we're on a "story" or "characters" isn't enough. If you want to go that route scratch the sex so you can reach a wider audience with the content you are actually interested in.

But porn games also need to deliver sex content which tends to be very subjective. Since the werewolves engage in violent rape anyway will you indulge the NTR fans because that is "less bad", even if you drive away the NTR haters? Will you do bestiality-like scenes with the werewolves or do they have suspiciously human genitals? Can mages use a shiny black latex outfit to perform their "rituals" or do you reduce that particular mechanic to a pentagram with a stat number because you simply aren't into BDSM?

How much time do you invest into sex scenes, renders, making characters "sexy" in general and integrating all of that into your story and worldbuilding, even at the direct detriment to those aspects? Ruins Seeker is a great game ...IF you completely ignore that it has Game Over Rape. All the time and effort they spent on that would have been much better invested in expanding the main storyline with more cutscenes, further building the relationship between the two main characters, or maybe adding another end-/postgame dungeon with cool and unique scenery seeing how great some of the existing ones are.