What's more preferred and easier to work with RPGM or Ren'py

Do you prefer to use, Ren'py or RPGM

• Total voters

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
If people want to make a visual novel, they don't need to hack RPG Maker. The same software house has developed Visual Novel Maker, which is perfectly tailored for it. It's easy as RPGM and, borrowing Joraell's words:
You can do your easy game without knowing any code. Just clicking on "buttons".
Compared with Tyranobuilder, I find it technically better (the save system works properly; if offers more features to the players; the engine supports Linux).
If anybody wants to see VNM at work, they may try House of maids.
Renpy is good for VNs, use that if you're making a VN (or whatever else you have good knowledge of, it's not rocket science, one can make a vn in PowerPoint).
If you're not making a jRPG don't use RPGM.
If you are making a jRPG... well, maybe Godot?
Some Godot devs are developing a framework for JRPGs: so far it looks nice.
I'm also surprised how good Third Crisis is (it's made in Unity).

Deleted member 1023239

Nov 19, 2018
Ahhh, but it's actually not that easy to make complex stuff :D To make proper good quality stuff, I would say you would need at least 1 year of practice with it. If you're the first-timer at this stuff, I mean. There's so much to learn, so it's debatable if it's worth the time choosing it over renpy if you're not going to use rpgm for its full potential. I would say, it's not.
it's true you need practice to make something better but without creativity and logic alone, hell you don't know what to do next, it's like learning a thing from youtube without proper guidance and tuition like local / online course provide

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
From my perspective, with determination, you can learn anything, but without that, everything else will flop flat. But that's irrelevant for this topic :D

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
People overall will vote ren'py because they don't want walking simulators to get scenes. The main question that you have to ask to yourself is "are you gonna need a battle system?", if not then use ren'py, if yes RPG maker.

But whatever you choose, take consideration of every detail like making custom menus, changing font and prepare the necessary mechanics if needed.