What's up with all the female protag games lately?

phreadom

Sep 2, 2017
It seems like in the past few days that almost all the new releases I'm seeing are all female protag? I have almost no interest in playing games as a woman. I play games to be a guy trying to get the girls. Because I'm a guy who wants the girls.

I understand there are others out there with their fetishes etc... but I just don't recall seeing more than the occasional game before, whereas now it seems like almost every new release is a female protag. Half a dozen on the same day, etc.

Am I just imagining it?

I don't want to see gay content, or futa, or furries etc either... but unlike furries, I can't really filter out the "gay" tag because it tends to remove games I do like that simply have an optional gay side path out of many etc. For example I love the game Lust Academy, but if I filtered out futa content it would hide that game from me. Since it's just an optional path for one character it's not a problem. Maybe I'll have to look at the games I play and see if any I like are actually female protag, and just filter them out. A Wife and Mother comes to mind as one I wouldn't want to miss though, as I do enjoy some of the storylines in that.

• Angry
Reactions: Ekcho666

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
but I just don't recall seeing more than the occasional game before, whereas now it seems like almost every new release is a female protag. Half a dozen on the same day, etc.
You probably never paid attention to them before... It's called .

Femprotag games were always a thing especially in eroge.

Also, you don't "play as a woman" you "play with a woman". You are not supposed to self-insert...

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
You probably never paid attention to them before... It's called .

Femprotag games were always a thing especially in eroge.

Also, you don't "play as a woman" you "play with a woman". You are not supposed to self-insert...
You play AS a woman, becays YOU choice her decigions.

Reactions: hyfka

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
It seems things come in waves, at times. Like going through the list of completed games sorted by date, I've seen a collection of gay content get released back to back or futa doing the same. And, just recently, a handful of furry stuff has been added.
Yeah, I guess that's the answer. It's not that suddenly there is a ton of devs decided to go female protagonist out of nowhere.

obibobi

May 10, 2017
There are probably some games, mostly Japanese where you self insert as the female, but that is the key difference, a female protagonist can allow for sexual situations that wouldn't be popular with a male protagonist.

Of course even if you don't self insert, you still empathize and it's amusing that in a sex game it's ok for a female protagonist to get raped as long as it doesn't hurt her feelings, that would rarely be the case in real life but sex game logic.

Warthief

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2020
I have no problem playing as Female character, but i don't like most of the Female Main Character games because the way this games made, you start as normal girl than slowly she start to get corrupted and get fucked by everyone and most of the time she will be forced to do that at the start than slowly she start to enjoy it and become slut.
it's rare to see game with different style.
Everyone of us have his own ways to play this games, some imagine themselves as the Main Character, others just play with the Main Character in different ways.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
The thing about female protag games is that, for me, it's all about the story. If the story isn't good, then I have no use for a female protag game. Exactly zero of my fetishes can be tripped while the MC is a female, because, whether I'm supposed to self-insert as a female or not, if I'm playing a game where the female is the one making the choices, I self-insert.

Reactions: hyfka and phreadom

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
It's exciting for most audiences to play as a girl getting corrupted and becoming a bitch. The usual recipe for heavy corruption, it's nothing new really... Just the good old ''fem protag + heavy corruption'' recipe.

I've been saying for a while that there's a huge lack of originality and creativity in our market. We grow a lot and a lot of new games every month, but as we grow, the originality diminishes proportionately.

I understand that this is a market choice, but at a high cost... Currently, I feel that games are clones of the big hit games or the recipes that are successful.

Last edited:

Warthief

Game Developer
Sep 11, 2020
It's exciting for most audiences to play as a girl getting corrupted and becoming a bitch. The usual recipe for heavy corruption, it's nothing new really... Just the good old fem protag + heavy corruption recipe.

I've been saying for a while that there's a huge lack of originality and creativity in our market. We grow a lot and a lot of new games every month, but as we grow, the originality diminishes proportionately.

I understand that this is a market choice, but at a high cost... Currently, I feel that games are clones of the big hit games or the recipes that are successful.
I agree with this 100%, i don't blame the dev's who use successful games formula when they start making thier games because most of the dev's who try new or unique things will have very low chance to succeed.

• Angry
Reactions: Losersriot

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
I agree with this 100%, i don't blame the dev's who use successful games formula when they start making thier games because most of the dev's who try new or unique things will have very low chance to succeed.
Yeah, I know well about that. I would venture to say that we have a lot of gems out there, but all hidden because what gets real attention is the same old formulas.

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
Can't speak to what other devs think but I want to do what I find fun, I could be doing "generic big dick white guy fucks his family the visual novel" but I'd probably be bored as shit. So I have had female protags in my current and last games, it's more fun and more of a challenge to write.

JustXThings

Game Developer
May 22, 2022
Female protagonist is the superior mode. I cannot get enough of that stuff. But I am not seeing more female protagonists games now than before. If anything I'd say femdom is on the rise. But since I also do femdom myself, it's probably the "broken arm effect". You don't notice people with broken stuff until you are moving around with a cast.

I hardly ever feel identified with the protagonist and I don't think female protagonist games are aiming for that anyway. They usually tell a story and match the feelings / internal monologues of the protagonist with the story.

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
I get youfe post is meant to be "why is Female MC so popular now", but its coming off has "why bother making a female MC?"

I mean....it's not a bad thing. I think it allows much more time to develop the charecter rham being a LI would give. Plus there's plenty of really good games that just wouldn't work without a female MC. Good Girl Goes Bad comes to mind most immediatly.

Reactions: hyfka

Kattlarv

Feb 8, 2019
I do think it's mostly a "just happen to see them" thing. As, I see plenty of male PC games litter the streets.
Like, the classic "dude with a hyper dick that's utterly fucking useless at sex, yet gets all the girls inexplicably" game is everywhere.

As for harem games, there's quite a lot of those too. Granted, most are female abuse, Gary Stu games. But, those do seem the most popular from my talks with devs. (Apparently femdom scares their core demographic.)

There's always been tons of female NPC games. If I'd guess... it's probably more a case of a lot of games like that are ending up with good score, so they wind up on the front page. Or cross section the search tags. (That said, this site still has a big issue with incorrect and false tags... not AS big as most other sites, granted. But you can still find games that contain 0 % of certain tags. Ironically, mostly female protag and lesbian tags xD)

Though, there might be an influx as of late. That might be from the Call of Duty effect. (This game is doing well, lets copy it)
But, that said: I can't think of a single female PC game lately that would be popular enough to cause that... But who knows? It might just be a active female PC/NPC season.

And yes: I did say NPC twice. To those that it may confuse: It refers to the tons of games that claim to have a female PC. Yet, all you do is play some random dude each time a sex scene comes on. Like: You control the male's actions and choices. It's a VERY different genre technically. But, they are lumped together. I however make an effort to distinguish them. As: People would refuse to call a male NPC game a male PC game, so xD Doesn't necessarily make the game bad. (Though, I will admit that MANY female NPC and PC games shit the bed as the devs have NO idea what they are doing. And/or try to make a male PC game through the female NPC game and just get a mess in the end. Or make games with a male/female PC you can choose at the start... but 180 flip the gameplay... trailing off, but I guess quite a bit of people can recognize it if they think about it.)

PostalingTheMoney

Sep 15, 2022
It seems things come in waves, at times. Like going through the list of completed games sorted by date, I've seen a collection of gay content get released back to back or futa doing the same. And, just recently, a handful of furry stuff has been added.
inb4 futa prot wave

phreadom

Sep 2, 2017
I get youfe post is meant to be "why is Female MC so popular now", but its coming off has "why bother making a female MC?"

I mean....it's not a bad thing. I think it allows much more time to develop the charecter rham being a LI would give. Plus there's plenty of really good games that just wouldn't work without a female MC. Good Girl Goes Bad comes to mind most immediatly.
No, I don't care if people make a female MC. It's that suddenly there seemed to be such a rise in them that for a couple days I couldn't find many options that weren't female MC.

Since I don't care for most female protag games, their increase meant a reduction in potential titles for me to play.

Another example of games I'm seeing more of are the ones with the anime looking 3d cartoon looking models... there seem to be more and more of those, and they're another option that is probably more dead to me than female protag.

I'd be bummed if suddenly all the games were anime models, female protag, furries, gay, futa, etc... because I'd be left with nothing to play and actually really enjoy.

• Angry
Reactions: Ekcho666

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
No, I don't care if people make a female MC. It's that suddenly there seemed to be such a rise in them that for a couple days I couldn't find many options that weren't female MC.

Since I don't care for most female protag games, their increase meant a reduction in potential titles for me to play.

Another example of games I'm seeing more of are the ones with the anime looking 3d cartoon looking models... there seem to be more and more of those, and they're another option that is probably more dead to me than female protag.

I'd be bummed if suddenly all the games were anime models, female protag, furries, gay, futa, etc... because I'd be left with nothing to play and actually really enjoy.
Don't worry, If you're into male protag + realistic 3D models you're probably the last one who will starve from a lack of games.

Deleted member 2741424

Aug 17, 2020
Devs make games that either they like or they think will make them money. I'm not a fan of female protags, but it doesn't really matter. There are plenty of games out there, and I guess if I can't find one I like, it will eventually push me to make one myself. To each their own, right?

Reactions: phreadom