When do you give up on playing a game?

E_nigma

Jan 20, 2019
It doesn't necessarily cause me to drop a game but I find I don't like a forced gf/bf at start of game. Don't throw a character at me I know nothing about and expect me to care about them at all.
yeah there are good and bad examples of the forced LI, almost exclusively bad but like detective necro has a forced LI you dont even realize is your gf until a bit into it and you can break it off really early (shes amazing so idk why you'd do that) and never see any scenes with her or a horrible example is inertia where you get a forced li that while technically isn't your bf you cannot avoid scenes with him only a minor amount of control of how far you want to take the scenes.

Oh my

Dec 25, 2019
Considering Male MC:

Diminishes interest to some degree:

Sandbox (exceptions: LonaRPG, Summertime Saga)
Point and Click
Necessary Walkthrough
Unavoidable LIs
Limited time with LI
NTR allusions with closure (without in few minor cases)
Annoying MC
Annoying LI
Unrealistic clown car body type of LI
Bad story
Tall LI

Immediate loss of interest:
NTR allusions without closure
Unavoidable NTR
Unavoidable Femdom or other encompassing fetishes
Unavoidable divisive fetishes
Sadistic Authorship
Short MC
Little dick MC
Emasculated MC

Something like that.

Instances of diminishing interest vary in potency and frequency and can result in complete loss of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: E_nigma

Oh my

Dec 25, 2019
(shes amazing so idk why you'd do that)
Well there is this little known Romance tag.
Monogamy is necessary to be able to say things like "you're enough for me", "you're special", or "I understand the concept of opportunity cost and how that influences relationships and family life."

So if you want to Romance a different LI, then you can't say these things without lying.
I myself hate Harem and promiscuity of all kinds.
So I had to rip that painful band-aid off and I'm alienated from the MC by it being written this way.
But it is interesting to see.

#1: Drow
#2: Goblin
#3: Demon
#4: Orc

Last edited:

E_nigma

Jan 20, 2019
Well there is this little known Romance tag.
Monogamy is necessary to be able to say things like "you're enough for me", "you're special", or "I understand the concept of opportunity cost and how that influences relationships and family life."

So if you want to Romance a different LI, then you can't say these things without lying.
I myself hate Harem and promiscuity of all kinds.

#1: Drow
#2: Goblin
#3: Demon
#4: Orc
offended-agree.gif
Understandable, it was a joke, but I feel ya. There are a lot of amazing girls in that game and you don't have to choose but playing it like that is cool too.

Reactions: Oh my

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
As soon as i feel bored by a game and the story isn't interesting enough to push through the boring part, i'll drop it.

Oh my

Dec 25, 2019
View attachment 1974171
Understandable, it was a joke, but I feel ya. There are a lot of amazing girls in that game and you don't have to choose but playing it like that is cool too.
It was fucking painful.
It's an instance of sadistic authorship that's insightful, I don't think there will be consequences for not going Harem, and I'm very glad we've got the option (which is rare), so it somehow gets a pass.
Dev also comes across as bright.
It weirdly got me interested in going for her in a separate run even though I've never gone for Orc Girls nor Muscle Girls.

I did not... detect the sarcasm. :LOL:

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020
If the Story changes the narativ into a flat ending just like Game of Thrones or if the gameplay is unnessarely complicated.

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
"Giving up on playing a game" means a few different things to me.

Best case scenario, I give up on a game because I've played it too much. It's not a matter of it being essentially bad or boring, but I've just been through it too many times in a partiular period of time. This doesn't mean the game is bad (often the game is good!), but rather that it just isn't doing the job anymore for whatever reason and I need a break. But note that this can also lead to never really picking up the game again depending on circumstances. This latter one often depends on how much future updates really change the game. Still, this case is unique because I've usually played through all the content in the game at least once, up to a certain update's version of content.

Examples (for me) - Summertime Saga, SuperPowered, Legend of Queen Opala: Origins, Straitened Times, World After War, probably Loser pretty soon (been playing the betas since I support the game), Love & Vice, Dandy Boy Adventure, Amity Park.

Middleground: thse are games I've played like halfway through at time of writing and just gave up on without finishing them. This is actually a longer list of games than the above, but they don't tend to be as memorable. What makes this list unique is what I call the MrDots effect: great content, solid writing, but a desperate fear of actually getting to the point (in his game's case, creampieing and impregnating the daughter in Dating My Daughter). I give up because even though all the parts are good, there's just too much of a mouseclick barrier between me and sexytimes. Or the gameplay/story takes a sharp turn in the middle and I'm not with it.

Examples: Dating My Daughter (longwinded), Sunshine Love (longwinded, Lust Theory (I'm considering 2 an extension of 1. I finished AND enjoyed 1, but I can't really get into 2), The Company (longwinded AND a bit of a gameplay shift), College Daze (another story sharp turn), Mystwood Manor (I'm honestly trying again after a long hiatus, but there's something about how the mind control premise gets executed that feels a little too 'I shouldn't make this seem TOO non-con!' Might have been adjusted recently; often it's a matter of adding context to the seduction in between sex scenes rather than just a jarring shift from 'I hate you' to 'I love you,' but it's always been an issue there), Kronos Time Titan (I just get lost, honestly. Also it's weird enough to be interesting but janky enough to be frustrating), Aeon (this one's weird. It's...too polished? Yeah, kinda that. Also, there's so many girls so quickly seduced that even the good art doesn't overcome the encroaching 'meh' feeling), Willy D (same problem as before, same author as before).

Note: these games are often still great, and I still want to play them at some point, but it's much likelier that I never do and their development stops first rather than that I come back and finish them.

Updates too slow: sometimes Summertime Saga is in this category, but essentially this is just a genre where the updates take so long to come out that I straight up forget that a game exists.

Bad games: these are the ones I pick up and just kinda say 'ewww,' then put back down. Lots of easy tells here: awful writing in English, honey select art or just terrible custom art, author thinks they're funny and very much are not, gameplay is just too cumbersome to play, sex scenes simply aren't sexy, it's pushing a political/sexual politics agenda I can't get down with, it's very clearly a dev who's playing off the popularity of incest games but bakes very clearly into their game that incest is super forbidden because they're cowards or just the sad incestphobes who still want to make bank, or the premise is simply too wacky to be sexy in any sensible way. That last one is very case-by-case basis, because sometimes wacky is awesome (the Grey games are quite neat actually), but sometimes it goes just a little further and makes the game unsexy.

No surprise here, YMMV. And the last category is so vast I don't even bother remembering what games those are after I try them once.

doku99

Mar 21, 2018
1. Bad writing. I can get through most things, but if the writing is bad, I'll dismiss it very fast. A few typos are okay (nobody's perfect), but if the writing is really broken, my thought will be: "if the maker didn't even bother to put the game through a spell checker, how lazily will the rest of the game be made?" It just screams low effort. Anybody is able to put their text into a Word document of some kind, and if not, at least let someone take a look at it first before you publish it.

2. Bad writing, aside from language. Characters that do things that make no sense. Absurd dialogue.

"Oh wow mom your so hot"
"Hehe thank you son but you shouldn't talk to your mother like that!"
"I'm sorry mom can you help me with my 'problem'?"
"Oh you're so naughty! Bad boy! But mmm I don't know maybe if you clean your room I'll give you a handjob..."
"Thanks mom i love you"
"I love you too good night"

I wish this was only parody, but I've seen this level of bad writing more times than I can count. It boggles the mind.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
1. Bad writing. I can get through most things, but if the writing is bad, I'll dismiss it very fast. A few typos are okay (nobody's perfect), but if the writing is really broken, my thought will be: "if the maker didn't even bother to put the game through a spell checker, how lazily will the rest of the game be made?" It just screams low effort. Anybody is able to put their text into a Word document of some kind, and if not, at least let someone take a look at it first before you publish it.

2. Bad writing, aside from language. Characters that do things that make no sense. Absurd dialogue.

"Oh wow mom your so hot"
"Hehe thank you son but you shouldn't talk to your mother like that!"
"I'm sorry mom can you help me with my 'problem'?"
"Oh you're so naughty! Bad boy! But mmm I don't know maybe if you clean your room I'll give you a handjob..."
"Thanks mom i love you"
"I love you too good night"

I wish this was only parody, but I've seen this level of bad writing more times than I can count. It boggles the mind.
Regarding bad writing I would add characters that spend half their time talking in their head. I can't stand this and it makes me drop the game.

doku99

Mar 21, 2018
Regarding bad writing I would add characters that spend half their time talking in their head. I can't stand this and it makes me drop the game.
I think that can be done well or it can be done poorly. It can be difficult for the player to relate with the character if they're not inside their heads.

Vainglorious

Jun 14, 2018
I have a problem with this myself but mostly because I have no inner voice so It feels weird and unnatural to me.

SeeEmilyPlay

Aug 12, 2017
-I stop when tags that I dislike are suddenly added

-I often stop when devs just cannot stop adding LI's

-I usually stop when the grind gets too much, I don't play many sandboxes to begin with but when it starts to take forever to get just one new image it is time to delete.

-I stop when I notice I do not have much control over which LI's to pursue

-I stop when the MC turns out to be a dick

-I stop when I don't have fun anymore

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ianuda

Icarus Media

F95 Comedian
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2019
When they add Futa and/or NTR, that stuff is disgusting and for cucks of the highest calibre...

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Sometimes I'll drop a game if it goes a really long time without an update, like Offcuts. I'm very willing to wait, one of my favorite games is LOML, but at a certain point going a year + without an update just feels like a bad return on investment.

Sometimes I'll drop a game is the mechanics change too much, like a VN turning into a sandbox. I'll play certain sandbox games, but almost nothing is more irritating than a VN suddenly shifting into a sandbox. Note, there is a difference between real sandbox and a game simply implementing basic free-roam segments. Excessive grinding.

But most of the time games I drop just became boring and mundane. This is especially true for the standard bang em' all harem games. If the characters have no depth, then they just become uninteresting to me. I actually prefer games that have 3-5 LI's for this reason. Usually, they have more buildup and depth to them than the LI's harem games have. Not that I won't play a harem game, but at a certain point I'll likely drop it.