When you have nothing good to say

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Yeah, that 3.1 update that didn't close off the NTR ending for love path folks was a really bad idea. I can't fathom how things like that aren't noticed while testing.

If you were on the lust (NTR) path you'd already met Darryl (the party crasher) a whole bunch of times, and he and Claire had already had two sexual encounters by the time of the party. Olivia invited him.

Reactions: Dependable_223

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I've turned my attention to a different game that has some issues but could be legendary were they fixed. The key difference is that the dev has a game that can be fixed, though. BILH isn't fixable without trashing a lot of the most recent update.
When then?

Even a *finished* product could be changed - or be remaked from scratch with another path.

If I would be a dev (only for fun), I like to hear what people think and I would even try to fix some of the mistake they would name. Storywise it would be more difficult, that's for sure, but if there where logical loophole and similar, sure I would also try to fix them.
If they "only" don't like my story, then I would/could do near to nothing for it. I think I would read their post, think about and hopeful don't trash my full idea in the recycling bin. People can like or dislike my story but, and of course, if I'm not completely wrong on this story acpect, I would not wan't to change a story only because of the people dislike.
It is another part, if I have differents path, as in this example and I "mix" between them up.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Having read the dev's "confession" about his private life, I can see all of the emotional trauma reflected in the game's latest update. He's arrived at "all women are cheating whores" for the innocent love interest and "let's punish her through rape and blackmail" for the fiancé-but-corruptible love interest he was previously encouraging, with her enthusiastic participation, to play around. Plus the MC randomly turned into a violent psychopath after a few drinks. I don't think there's any progress to had w/r/t fixing the game until the dev gets his own shit handled, and reading his responses in the game thread don't fill me with optimism that he's close to doing that.

FWIW, this entire conversation feels icky, now that I look at it.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
As a dev I fully support and welcome all constructive criticism. Saying "This game sucks" doesn't help me improve the game because I don't know what to do with that info. I've had a good number of people voice their concerns/dislikes about my game, and some of it was really solid advice. You sound like someone who actually wants to provide real feedback, rather than to simply insult someone, so I say go for it!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
"This game sucks" also works as far as they explain why.
I am currently addressing some of the feedback provided by my very first 1 star review \o/ :giggle:

Reactions: Domiek

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
"This game sucks" also works as far as they explain why.
I am currently addressing some of the feedback provided by my very first 1 star review \o/ :giggle:
If you haven't already, messaged that person and see if they are willing to elaborate. I got absolutely torn to shreds in a review once. Reached out to that person and turns out they're actually really nice and sensible and provided a lot of great points that I overlooked which I'm now implementing into the game.

Although you do sometimes get people who are just plain jackasses. Had a dude make a new Patreon account just to message me and call me an idiot because the pirated version of my game he downloaded had a bug. Yeah that's a quick way to get blocked lol.

edit: You should add a link to your game in your signature.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If you haven't already, messaged that person and see if they are willing to elaborate. I got absolutely torn to shreds in a review once. Reached out to that person and turns out they're actually really nice and sensible and provided a lot of great points that I overlooked which I'm now implementing into the game.

Although you do sometimes get people who are just plain jackasses. Had a dude make a new Patreon account just to message me and call me an idiot because the pirated version of my game he downloaded had a bug. Yeah that's a quick way to get blocked lol.

edit: You should add a link to your game in your signature.
Thanks for the suggestion!

keitaketatsu

Jun 14, 2017
I think too many people only point out the problem without offering a possible solution. It would be better if people clearly state the issue followed by what they might do to correct the situation. After that, it is up to the dev to either consider the suggestion or offer an explanation on why he did things the way he did.

Reactions: Dependable_223

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Luckily in my case he was kind enough to write a detailed explanation which is allowing me to address those issues in the next release

Reactions: Domiek

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
I think too many people only point out the problem without offering a possible solution. It would be better if people clearly state the issue followed by what they might do to correct the situation. After that, it is up to the dev to either consider the suggestion or offer an explanation on why he did things the way he did.
you are absolutely right, pointing out the flaw only is not wear the solution lies. like say the ending where you suddenly see jenny at the pool party being seduced by another guy, that is also why i pointed out that if jenny was going to act this way it would have been better if this part was happening because of what happened at the night before when he was fucking his fiancee with the door open and you could see the pain in jenny eyes when she closed the door. you even lost love points because of this action so that part of the pool would have made sense if these events where tied together.

Reactions: Segnbora

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I think too many people only point out the problem without offering a possible solution. It would be better if people clearly state the issue followed by what they might do to correct the situation.
It would be good, yes, but expecting it to happen more than once in a while is utopian.
Unless the person who make the comment is (more or less) a writer himself, he can see that "this character don't fit the story", without knowing how to correct this. All he can do is explaining why, from his point of view, it don't fit.

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
I read some reply:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But was this part true ??
I thought only the love route was mixed up. so neither side where happy. so ntr got the love ending and the non ntr the ntr ending. ouch.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I read some reply:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But was this part true ??
I thought only the love route was mixed up. so neither side where happy. so ntr got the love ending and the non ntr the ntr ending. ouch.
Whithout going to dig for his code, this could also mean he have some branching false rather than want ro "fuck up" the branchs.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Well, feedback and contructive critisism is important. If you don't point out flaws in the game, then how do you expect them to get better?

That being said, sometimes it can be hard to figure out if something is a flaw in the game, or simply the creator's vision for how the game should be. For example, the last 2-3 chapters for Acting Lessons took a really dark turn, which really didn't fit the game in the eyes of many players. It was pretty obvious however, that this was the vision the developer had, and it turned out alright in the end.
However, if you have a game advertised as an NTR game, without NTR in it, then that is an obvious flaw in my eyes, and should be pointed out to the dev.

I will (almost) always chose to give some sort of feedback, if I feel like there was an issue with a game. If I went to the car dealership and was sold a car without brakes or airbags, I would give feedback too.

Reactions: Goblin Baily: DILF

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
However, if you have a game advertised as an NTR game, without NTR in it, then that is an obvious flaw in my eyes, and should be pointed out to the dev.
Is it advertised as such though? I've just peeked on the patreon page and saw no such thing. (Note I've played only an early version which I didn't like, so I just ask from a curiosity point of view).

Reactions: Goblin Baily: DILF

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Is it advertised as such though? I've just peeked on the patreon page and saw no such thing. (Note I've played only an early version which I didn't like, so I just ask from a curiosity point of view).
It was more of a general example, rather than a specific one. I just used NTR because it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Akamari

215303j

Two truths:
1) Without constructive criticism, nothing ever gets better
2) Even negative publicity is publicity

So, yeah, I do think you should speak up if you are invested in a certain game. I didn't play the game in question, but by the other responses I understand it's some kind of bug / programming error. Too bad but can be fixed once discovered by a friendly pirate.

On the other hand, I generally don't believe in abuse. If you say "it sucks" you also have to explain why, otherwise you should just not play the game. Nobody is forcing you to play something you don't like, especially if you didn't pay for said game.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
I generally avoid expressing my opinion about a game, heck, I barely praise the dev of Heavy Five, and she's good. When it comes to gaming, I either rave about how good they are or stfu. But sometimes some devs cross the bullshit line and it just comes out. How many abandoned games does it take before someone snaps?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I wouldn't feel at ease with myself to abandon a game WHILE having a patreon, I'd have to be dead for that to happen.

I guess it would be less bad if someone abandons without having a patreon even if, generally speaking, I like to finish the stuff I start

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
Even how dark this episode was, the creator can still salvage his game. Right now both sides where unsatisfied the way the ntr went but people are correct when they state that:

The lust side is dark NTR path
and love path seem to be the true NTR path.

But if is able to fix the love path then he can still salvage this game and make the love path split in to 2 path one will lead to true NTR like it is now with jenny and fiancee and the other part where ntr is avoided. This will then cater to everyone needs.