4.30 star(s) 185 Votes

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
A remake of something with 10/10 renders and unfinished. Feels like milking to me.
10/10 renders prior to the remake? I don't think so. It was good, maybe even very good, not definitely not 10/10.

Anybody that has seen the remake renders that has been posted in this thread and Ocean's other game's thread will agree the new ones are better by a wide margin.

kartolas

Apr 10, 2021
10/10 renders prior to the remake? I don't think so. It was good, maybe even very good, not definitely not 10/10.

Anybody that has seen the remake renders that has been posted in this thread and Ocean's other game's thread will agree the new ones are better by a wide margin.
I'll take your word for it on the renders.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
The patreon whole "landlady" and "female non-bloodrelated friend" imposed thing sure didnt help too
That is among the most commons patron problems. It is what it is. The problem is that in the beginning Ocean followed a lot of what people asked. Harem, pregnancy and all that. Which rendered to character acting in inconsistent ways to what he wants to do.

For all example, MC spends a few days in prison like a champ, and later claims he is very afraid to go to prison. That is because, in the new setting, there seems to be some heavy story elements involving MC's past after he decided to leave home.

There is also the standard problem of simply too many characters, too many paths. New version is supposed to be smaller in scope but more focused, if I remember Ocean's words right.

I’ve seen better renders produced quicker. (Though granted, they were from Silk&Milk and that guy’s mentality towards his games was insane)

With this game...well, after 13 months the reworked story better be on the level of Kubrick.
Emm it is hard to make a comparison as the quality of WIAB as it is currently is have changed a lot from the beginning.

But, taken the last chapters, or Summer's Gone chapter 3 which was the last release Ocean made, that is nonsense in my opinion. Silk&Milk renders are very good, but I would not even consider them top tier.

Evan taking S&M last project, it is not comparable to Summer's gone chapter 3. It is not just a problem of render quality by image clarity and filtering, if you will, there is a difference in the artistic approach.

DISCLAIMER: I really like Primal Instict, but the way that guy has approached his work was simply shooting himself in the foot. Which is ironic, as the guy was being absolutely honest, so there could be technically no "milking"

Last edited:

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
That is among the most commons patron problems. It is what it is. The problem is that in the beginning Ocean followed a lot of what people asked. Harem, pregnancy and all that. Which rendered to character acting in inconsistent ways to what he wants to do.

For all example, MC spends a few days in prison like a champ, and later claims he is very afraid to go to prison. That is because, in the new setting, there seems to be some heavy story elements involving MC's past after he decided to leave home.

There is also the standard problem of simply too many characters, too many paths. New version is supposed to be smaller in scope but more focused, if I remember Ocean's words right.

Emm it is hard to make a comparison as the quality of WIAB as it is currently is have changed a lot from the beginning.

But, taken the last chapters, or Summer's Gone chapter 3 which was the last release Ocean made, that is nonsense in my opinion. Silk&Milk renders are very good, but I would not even consider them top tier.

Evan taking S&M last project, it is not comparable to Summer's gone chapter 3. It is not just a problem of render quality by image clarity and filtering, if you will, there is a difference in the artistic approach.

DISCLAIMER: I really like Primal Instict, but the way that guy has approached his work was simply shooting himself in the foot. Which is ironic, as the guy was being absolutely honest, so there could be technically no "milking"

I think visually, S&M was at least on par with Ocean. He didn’t do all the animations and transitions that Ocean uses in his storytelling, but I think in terms of the renders themselves and his use of lighting he was putting out comparable quality on a more regular basis. It was just that he was an absolute lunatic trying to hold his own game hostage and being really spiteful towards his patrons.

But also, I don’t hold Ocean in the same high regard you do. You might believe he’s the best creator out there, but honestly I don’t share that opinion. I think he’s very talented, but certainly not so great that I’d be willing to support him or have faith in him after so long between updates. I genuinely don’t believe this project will be finished and it’s why I stopped supporting him.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
But also, I don’t hold Ocean in the same high regard you do. You might believe he’s the best creator out there, but honestly I don’t share that opinion. I think he’s very talented, but certainly not so great that I’d be willing to support him or have faith in him after so long between updates. I genuinely don’t believe this project will be finished and it’s why I stopped supporting him.
I mean, that is all fine. My comment was purely aesthetic, which was what I thought we were comparing. It has nothing to do with story, speed of updates or anything else.

And, purely aesthetically speaking, I think it is AAA.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Check out the game called 'Come Inside' IMO those are the best renders i have seen of any game on this site.
Honestly, I think the rework for this will be released before that gets updated again. It's been almost 1.5 years.

This is the downside of having great renders. Unless you have an army of computers, updates take an incredibly long time to make. The game with the best renders to time ratio is probably Broken Dreamers, even if I'm not really into the cyberpunk theme.

To keep this semi-on topic. It's also why I'm pessimistic about this ( and Summers Gone). Both great games, but they're both flagships. Splitting time between flagships is probably going to drown you eventually. The last " mini dev-log before the update" was back in April .

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
Honestly, I think the rework for this will be released before that gets updated again. It's been almost 1.5 years.

This is the downside of having great renders. Unless you have an army of computers, updates take an incredibly long time to make. The game with the best renders to time ratio is probably Broken Dreamers, even if I'm not really into the cyberpunk theme.

To keep this semi-on topic. It's also why I'm pessimistic about this ( and Summers Gone). Both great games, but they're both flagships. Splitting time between flagships is probably going to drown you eventually. The last " mini dev-log before the update" was back in April .
I am very pessimistic about this game too, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I believe Ocean is a serious and ethical dev and I respect his confidence and ambition in making these high quality games in renders and story. But one thing that always puts me down when I think about this game is the possible time it will take for it to be completely finished. Just think: even if the rework was already done and released, there would still be 24 chapters to complete the game. And now the updates will be half chapters. In other words, to launch the 24 chapters, 48 updates will be needed. This is too much. Even if Ocean were able to make monthly releases without unexpected issues, the best and most unrealistic scenario due to the circumstances and resources of the dev plus the size and quality of the updates, it would take 4 years to complete the game.
Even though Ocean manages to release updates every 2-3 months, the time to complete the game will be 8-12 years AT LEAST.

Again, don't get me wrong, it's not my intention bitching around about dev. I just think it's an unreasonable amount of time to finish the game, even taking into account the high quality of the renders and the story. Unfortunately, from my POV, I see only two possibilities and both of them sadden me: 1. WiBA will take more than a decade at least to be completed. 2. The game will be abandoned at some point.

I hope I'm completely wrong. I wish Ocean can succeed in both WiAB and Summer's Gone and the other three games he's already said he intends to make in this universe

Sorry for any english mistakes.

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Just think: even if the rework was already done and released, there would still be 24 chapters to complete the game. And now the updates will be half chapters. In other words, to launch the 24 chapters, 48 updates will be needed. This is too much.
Well, I don't know about that. While the upcoming SG release is indeed a half-chapter release, did Ocean ever actually said it will always be half chapters for both games going forward?

Also, I think people tend to focus too much on the number of chapters. Anybody that has done any project management (and creating a game spanning a multi-year development IS a big project) will tell you "planned" and "actual" are 2 very different things, especially this early on in its life. Details are never quite set in stone, and may grow or shrink along the way.

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
Well, I don't know about that. While the upcoming SG release is indeed a half-chapter release, did Ocean ever actually said it will always be half chapters for both games going forward?

Also, I think people tend to focus too much on the number of chapters. Anybody that has done any project management (and creating a game spanning a multi-year development IS a big project) will tell you "planned" and "actual" are 2 very different things, especially this early on in its life. Details are never quite set in stone, and may grow or shrink along the way.
Well, he talks about the releases in half chapters in the general faq on his discord, so I guess it goes for both games. About the number of chapters, that's what's in the faq of both games too. I'm just thinking based on the information currently available. As I said, I hope I'm wrong.

4.30 star(s) 185 Votes