4.30 star(s) 185 Votes

mommysboiii

Oct 17, 2019
Alright, so now on i will go to the threads of NTR-focused just asking for devs add optional vanilla/love/harem paths for MC and let's see how the players in that threads will take this. Just like ntr fans do in a lot of thread here.
dude the devs most often dont even read the threads at all KEKW this is not a offical site hello???nobody reads the (feedback) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

people act like devs read this site all the time and base their development around this LUL

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
Thanks for sharing..
Probably a buggy asset. I had a problem when loading a wig once, it would start consuming RAM and then virtual memory (swap) til it eventually caused the system to become unresponsive and I'd have to do a hard reset. Thing is after cleaning my runtimes and loading that wig again, it worked normally so it was probably something else that was causing the memory glitch. Maybe the fact that I upgraded the DAZ version since then, maybe something that was loading and was buggy, impossible to tell.

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018

Unlocked

Hello,

The title of today's Dev Log is "Defeat". More to that down below. Warning: It's a sad tale.

Everything's going well, rendering is slow, but setting up scenes is fast as fuck. I think I will start with postwork in around 10 days and just let the queue do its thingy.

Defeat...
I didn't think much of it at first but... It all started with vibrating fans, then a shiver went through its components and suddenly the fans spun no more...
An eerie silence fell over the room... As I looked down to see its googly eyes staring back at me in agony & shame...
My child, for which I cared so much, which I praised in front of the other parents... Failed me... Failed us.
I couldn't look it in the eyes when I saw that Daz dropped back to the CPU... While I checked the vitals to see if something was off... I heard its pitiful whine in the background, begging me to give it another shot.
There was no mistake... The A6000 ran out of VRAM for a scene.
I then optimized the shit out of the scene, even going as far as reducing the quality for all non-main cast characters to a degree I'd normally never go. I feel dirty.
Still, I watched its once so strong arms struggle to get the bar up.
I had no choice... I had to remove some characters from the scene... And with every character I removed, I felt as if a dagger pierced my heart.
Okay for real now, I actually thought the scene wouldn't even go beyond 32GB... But fuck me...
Here's a preview of said VRAM killing scene (Coming in at 45,6GB) (HOW?!)

It had quite a few more characters before.
Anyways, I signed a few more artists. A few just for SG, as they didn't want to sign for both games at once, but also some music for WiAB.

Helen & Scarlet previews:

Considering that postwork is going to start soon, I can say that I'm getting closer to finishing the last scene. I probably won't finish it before the next Dev Log, but it's gonna be close.

I'll see you in two weeks with hopefully the 95% reached.
- Ocean
I don't want to be presumptuous, but in a scene as dark and from as far as that, where shadows are pretty much useless, or can be done realistic enough in post, he can just render few characters at once and turn them into billboards.

Reactions: Schattenlust

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Oceanlab It is the chairs killing that scene. DAZ doesn't have smarts like video games where geometry covered in surfaces that are not visible to the camera are basically ignored. So every surface of every chair is calculated for light and reflection even though the vast majority is not viewable. If you put your original scene with all the people but removed the chairs you could render it no problem. I am certain. I saw this happen to another dev who had an intricate dock with a series of floating pontoons holding it afloat and you could not see much of any of them but it KILLED his renders.

DAZ needs some Video Game optimizers coding for it.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
Oceanlab It is the chairs killing that scene. So every surface of every chair is calculated for light and reflection even though the vast majority is not viewable. If you put your original scene with all the people but removed the chairs you could render it no problem. I am certain. I saw this happen to another dev who had an intricate dock with a series of floating pontoons holding it afloat and you could not see much of any of them but it KILLED his renders.

If that is the case maybe he should look into instancing. I haven't tried myself though since DAZ is so slow to start with my library I just haven't bothered with in a while. Seems to have become slower after switching to Wndows 10...

Mamaragan

Jun 9, 2019
I know that Ocean is going to be on Blender eventually.
My question for those who are educated with 3D tools:
Is he going to have the same issues with blender? Or it is just DAZ which is a hungry for resources?

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
He has already used Blender in the past. I think the guy has the equipment above and beyond the average developer here. He puts out some crazy animations and gorgeous renders. Maybe it is not the dream system that Hollywood uses but for us home gamers... His shit is leaps ahead.

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
Oceanlab It is the chairs killing that scene. DAZ doesn't have smarts like video games where geometry covered in surfaces that are not visible to the camera are basically ignored. So every surface of every chair is calculated for light and reflection even though the vast majority is not viewable. If you put your original scene with all the people but removed the chairs you could render it no problem. I am certain. I saw this happen to another dev who had an intricate dock with a series of floating pontoons holding it afloat and you could not see much of any of them but it KILLED his renders.

Nah, it wasn't the chairs. Disabling the environment cut it down by around 6GB VRAM.

So at least 42GB were still on the chars/hair, etc.
Someone mentioned a faulty asset that might've drawn VRAM like crazy. It makes sense as most of the Farm renders I did were 100% a lot heavier than this.

But it's gonna be a pain in the ass to find it.

He has already used Blender in the past. I think the guy has the equipment above and beyond the average developer here. He puts out some crazy animations and gorgeous renders. Maybe it is not the dream system that Hollywood uses but for us home gamers... His shit is leaps ahead.
There's only one render in Summer's Gone that was made in Blender, and zero in WiAB. I also don't animate in Blender and then port it over as some other devs do.

I do all animations in Daz. It sucks and is hard as fuck, but builds mental fortitude.
When I make the switch to Blender, animating is going to be a breeze & the quality should skyrocket.

And the only thing in terms of equipment I have that somewhat puts me above the average Dev is an A6000. (And that's only in the VRAM department with less speed.)
Pretty much all other devs I know have 3090s & 4090s. (Even the ones with much less support.)

There's not much difference between me and 90% of the other Daz devs in terms of equip. It starts to shift when you get closer to the 3-5k Supporters. That's when devs feature multiple Slave PCs that are all stacked up to the teeth.

And because SG is still rendering on two normal 3090s with no working NV-link, my equipment is below what most other devs have in the same support bracket.

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
Nah, it wasn't the chairs. Disabling the environment cut it down by around 6GB VRAM.

So at least 42GB were still on the chars/hair, etc.
Someone mentioned a faulty asset that might've drawn VRAM like crazy. It makes sense as most of the Farm renders I did were 100% a lot heavier than this.

But it's gonna be a pain in the ass to find it.

There's only one render in Summer's Gone that was made in Blender, and zero in WiAB. I also don't animate in Blender and then port it over as some other devs do.

I do all animations in Daz. It sucks and is hard as fuck, but builds mental fortitude.
When I make the switch to Blender, animating is going to be a breeze & the quality should skyrocket.

And the only thing in terms of equipment I have that somewhat puts me above the average Dev is an A6000. (And that's only in the VRAM department with less speed.)
Pretty much all other devs I know have 3090s & 4090s. (Even the ones with much less support.)

There's not much difference between me and 90% of the other Daz devs in terms of equip. It starts to shift when you get closer to the 3-5k Supporters. That's when devs feature multiple Slave PCs that are all stacked up to the teeth.

And because SG is still rendering on two normal 3090s with no working NV-link, my equipment is below what most other devs have in the same support bracket.
Wow! Thank you for answering that! I saw on Discord somewhere that you had used Blender on something but forgot it was SG. Thank you for setting the record straight.

I cannot believe your animations look that great and you are doing them in Daz. Teach us on YouTube man! Seriously, nice work.

Moryaka26

Aug 28, 2019

Unlocked

Hello,

The title of today's Dev Log is "Defeat". More to that down below. Warning: It's a sad tale.

Everything's going well, rendering is slow, but setting up scenes is fast as fuck. I think I will start with postwork in around 10 days and just let the queue do its thingy.

Defeat...
I didn't think much of it at first but... It all started with vibrating fans, then a shiver went through its components and suddenly the fans spun no more...
An eerie silence fell over the room... As I looked down to see its googly eyes staring back at me in agony & shame...
My child, for which I cared so much, which I praised in front of the other parents... Failed me... Failed us.
I couldn't look it in the eyes when I saw that Daz dropped back to the CPU... While I checked the vitals to see if something was off... I heard its pitiful whine in the background, begging me to give it another shot.
I then optimized the shit out of the scene, even going as far as reducing the quality for all non-main cast characters to a degree I'd normally never go. I feel dirty.
I had no choice... I had to remove some characters from the scene... And with every character I removed, I felt as if a dagger pierced my heart.
Okay for real now, I actually thought the scene wouldn't even go beyond 32GB... But fuck me...
Here's a preview of said VRAM killing scene (Coming in at 45,6GB) (HOW?!)

It had quite a few more characters before.
Anyways, I signed a few more artists. A few just for SG, as they didn't want to sign for both games at once, but also some music for WiAB.

Helen & Scarlet previews:

Considering that postwork is going to start soon, I can say that I'm getting closer to finishing the last scene. I probably won't finish it before the next Dev Log, but it's gonna be close.

I'll see you in two weeks with hopefully the 95% reached.
- Ocean
I can't see the previews

Reactions: LewdLife
Apr 11, 2020
Defeat...
How tragic :cry: - Some dev with a measly 8GB card, probably

There's not much difference between me and 90% of the other Daz devs in terms of equip.
That is most certainly not true. Most of the Daz devs (there's hundreds and hundreds of them!) would probably sacrifice their left nut to have the level of hardware you have right now. I understand the desire to create immersive scenes, but you should seriously learn to optimize your scenes better or cut some corners if you're often running out of 48 Gigs (!!!) of VRAM. That's a skill in and of itself, and without it, even if you have a hypothetical 96GB card, sooner or later, you will start hitting the max cap.

Rozhok

Jun 29, 2017
Reactions: `Ray`

`Ray`

Jul 12, 2020
Well they load now, but someone resized them to 144p :sneaky:
Any chance for 1080p or higher versions? Thanks anyway
The ones I shared are 360p and that's the Max resolution of every preview AFAIK.

The Upper Tiers might have (?) access to the 1080p.

Edit: I was wrong!

Last edited:

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
So here's a tip:

I don’t know either. I have been toying with Turbo Loader.
I’ve had to. I’ve got way too many products installed and it took over three hours to load (not render) one scene with (3) G8/8.1F characters and a (1) G8M.
So I typically break out all my scenes into scene subsets. And I save a new version for every scene (new version of characters too).
Everything looked normal until I went to work on the next scene and load the figures in and they were completely messed up. Literally the only thing I did was reload a saved character.
But it was while working with TurboLoader that I learned something very scary about working with DAZ Studio…
Every time you touch a morph dial that dial then gets “activated” and will be saved as part of the character, even if the morph dial is set to ZERO.
So when I’m designing a new character I may touch several dozen body and head morphs (or expression morphs, etc.) to get what I want.
And every single one of those dials that I’ve touched, even if I’ve reset it back to zero, will now get saved with the character.
The TurboLoader Utilities addon has a “Scene Configuration” option that will save out a list of every morph dial that’s referenced in a character (or scene). That’s when I learned this.
Only way to clear it is to make sure those morphs aren’t available to Studio and re-load the character so those files are “not found” and then save out your character again.
And that’s when I noticed the 3DU characters, the Maxx character, and a bunch of others. Honestly at this point I probably need to uninstall over 50% of the crap that I do have installed.

The fact that every morph dial touched is “activated” on a character explains a mystery that I had encountered a few times. I create animations for a friend of mine, sometimes using premade characters that he sends to me. We check beforehand to make sure I have the models and morphs he used.
Occasionally when I open the scene file he sent, I will get a bunch missing content warnings from Daz for various morphs. When I go over the list of missing morphs with my friend, he always insists that he had not used them for the character, so I simply ignore them and carry on.
Based on what you discovered, I imagine my friend merely had touched the morph dials at some point and decided not to use them, setting them back to zero. Yet that caused Daz to save them permanently on the character.

Based on what you discovered, I imagine my friend merely had touched the morph dials at some point and decided not to use them, setting them back to zero. Yet that caused Daz to save them permanently on the character.
That is exactly what’s happening, I guarantee you. It’s also bloating the characters and slowing down the loading. Just take a look at the DAZ Studio Log File when you load a complex scene. Notepad++ has an option where you can “tail” the loaded file so it auto-refreshes immediately as new lines are added to the bottom.

That’s another way to quickly see just how inefficient Studio is as well.

Doomyk

Jun 7, 2019
I wonder about open relationships, how Miru will react to sex for the sake of manipulation and achieving William's goals (no personal feelings at the same time). For example, the situation of Monica, who may still have feelings for William, and Benjamin, who loved Dana and possibly now loves. We can go from afar with Dana and develop events.

4.30 star(s) 185 Votes