Which is better in your opinion? New game design...

Which option do you find better?

• First

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Second

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
Question is how to adjust background if there is an interaction with character.

First option is leave it as it is...
1.png

The second option is to make the background blur and adjust color (you can see the character better) ...
2.png

I like the second option but please let me know.

danteworks

Developer of Depravity
Game Developer
Dec 3, 2018
You only blur background to draw attention to the character in the foreground. Position the character closer to the centre to attrat attention. Around 1/3 from the right will make the most sense imo

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
You only blur background to draw attention to the character in the foreground. Position the character closer to the centre to attrat attention. Around 1/3 from the right will make the most sense imo
Something like this one?
3.png

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Those examples dont look like she is standing on the ground.
In the attached picture it's portraits that are positioned with the background to create the illusion they are standing in that room. Is that something you try to accomplish?

thronebreaker-the-witcher-tales-review-11.jpg

Reactions: Grumpy Eagle

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
Those examples dont look like she is standing on the ground.
In the attached picture it's portraits that are positioned with the background to create the illusion they are standing in that room. Is that something you try to accomplish?

View attachment 272537
I would like to accomplish that it looks like she is actually standing on the ground.
But I got few problems with that.
I have got more backgrounds and I need to use same pictures of character on them. But of course the backgrounds pictures doesn't have same render angle and hight above the ground so it is quite hard.
But bigger problem is dialogue box. It is quite big so I need to lift the characters up so you can actually see them well...
In 95% of the time there is dialogue box...

Dialogue box in picture you post can be solution...

Look at the pictures :
1.png 2.png

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
I would like to accomplish that it looks like she is actually standing on the ground.
I have got more backgrounds and I need to use same pictures of character on them. But of course the backgrounds pictures doesn't have same render angle and hight above the ground so it is quite hard.
If you're working with fixed backgrounds theres other options available like pic related. Probably less bad than character and background scale/pov conflicting while pretending it dont.
descent.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You only blur background to [...]
The problem I personally have is that it's not a blurred background but a tainted one. While the blur effect can works because it tend to simulate the way our eyes works and focus on the foreground, here it looks more like the girl is positing in front of a painting.

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
The problem I personally have is that it's not a blurred background but a tainted one. While the blur effect can works because it tend to simulate the way our eyes works and focus on the foreground, here it looks more like the girl is positing in front of a painting.
Well I think about it and I don't see an easy solution for this problem (at least for my game). My backgrounds are not same (meaning color tone, render angle etc.). But I need to use same character pictures on them. I cannot create special character images for every single background (it is way too much work). So I will probably use blurred background even if it will look like the character is standing in front of painting...

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
There are two styles of doing it.

1. spirits in which the characters appear on the scene and the background is just there to tell the players where the event is happening.

2. The character is in the scene and is part of the background.

(I use both personally. For simple and transition style- background for a room and fade in spirits. Important events are done all in one.)

Yours is clearly the first. As the character and background are not one. And hence the character is a spirit. This means that it is not so important that your character touches the ground. Just that it is in a good composition and is visible.

I advise you to use a more transparent textbox as this will make it easier in the long run. Do not have to think of making everything appear above something for every scene.

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
There are two styles of doing it.

1. spirits in which the characters appear on the scene and the background is just there to tell the players where the event is happening.

2. The character is in the scene and is part of the background.

(I use both personally. For simple and transition style- background for a room and fade in spirits. Important events are done all in one.)

Yours is clearly the first. As the character and background are not one. And hence the character is a spirit. This means that it is not so important that your character touches the ground. Just that it is in a good composition and is visible.

I advise you to use a more transparent textbox as this will make it easier in the long run. Do not have to think of making everything appear above something for every scene.
Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

namiv

Feb 19, 2020
Question is how to adjust background if there is an interaction with character.

First option is leave it as it is...
View attachment 272271

The second option is to make the background blur and adjust color (you can see the character better) ...
View attachment 272272

I like the second option but please let me know.
if u've chosen the 2nd for more focus on the character, then i guess a little bigger size wouldnt hurt.
she is good above the knee if u know what i mean

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Why not use regular busts like VN uses? Place the character closer at knee, wast level.
Second is better I think, but colors difference is a bit too much. If you could keep original colors and blur with different level of intensity (far objects are more blurry) it would look the best.

Last edited: