Why 2019 was bad for Adult gaming, (In my opinion)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not being a dick here, i really need examples, and i can't get into 3d stuff, (Besides breeders of Nephelym)
Well, it's true that this year, the few 2D games with decent CG where almost all furry gay games, which limit the list ; yet, most of them look decent from what I can judge.

But honestly I don't understand the "I can't get into 3D stuff" tendency that rise actually. There's no difference between 2D and 3D games. You've, more or less, the same proportion of games with 3D CG that looks like plastic dolls, than games with 2D CG looking like what my children did in 1st grade ; and what my son still do 20 years later.
Instead of being close minded, open up to novelty. Look at the games with more than decent 3D CG, because yes it's something that exist. They are numerous, and most of them are interesting.
Hell, with studio neo starting to be used for the CG, you even have games that are both 3D and 2D. It will start to be difficult to be discriminating against 3D CG.

As for 2019 being a bad year, well it's the opposite. Steam decided to open up to any genres, effective alternative to Patreon started to establish themselves, more good quality games were started this year than during the three past years, and, more or less mid-year, the tendency started to be reversed, with more games updated each month, than games started.
There's even a new Winged Cloud's game ; it's not a Sakura Dungeon hit, but the CG are still top quality. So even from your point of view the year can't be really said as bad.

Last edited:

RunningFurniture

Mar 4, 2019
Well, it's true that this year, the few 2D games with decent CG where almost all furry gay games, which limit the list ; yet, most of them look decent from what I can judge.

But honestly I don't understand the "I can't get into 3D stuff" tendency that rise actually. There's no difference between 2D and 3D games. You've, more or less, the same proportion of games with 3D CG that looks like plastic dolls, than games with 2D CG looking like what my children did in 1st grade ; and what my son still do 20 years later.
Instead of being close minded, open up to novelty. Look at the games with more than decent 3D CG, because yes it's something that exist. They are numerous, and most of them are interesting.
Hell, with studio neo starting to be used for the CG, you even have games that are both 3D and 2D. It will start to be difficult to be discriminating against 3D CG.

As for 2019 being a bad year, well it's the opposite. Steam decided to open up to any genres, effective alternative to Patreon started to establish themselves, more good quality games were started this year than during the three past years, and, more or less mid-year, the tendency started to be reversed, with more games updated each month, than games started.
There's even a new Winged Cloud's game ; it's not a Sakura Dungeon hit, but the CG are still top quality. So even from your point of view the year can't be really said as bad.
I guess your right, it's just taste really, I am not against 3d cg, but i barely found any games with good cg. Plus the more demanding the renders of the game, the more powerful GPU i have to have just to enjoy it. It's why i like 2d games better, less hard on the hardware just to play the games

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I agree. Steam is the 800 pound gorilla in the games distribution market. Having the option to release your adult game on the most widely used distribution platform in the world for games is a big deal. In fact, it's a good thing even if you personally don't like or use Steam because wider distribution means a bigger audience which means more earning potential for good developers. I do wish they would clarify what their "unofficial" restrictions are though since their initial claim of basically anything that's legal is fine has proven not to be true. They probably also should add some tools for some people to be able to hide anything in their library that friends or family might find "questionable".

Now just because it's on Steam doesn't mean it'll be a good game, and the big AAA companies will never touch it due to brand concerns, but it does mean that adult games as a niche market has more room to grow now. Imagine if developers thought the earning potential was high enough that we had more developers that are closer to professional caliber doing adult games in their spare time even if it wasn't a company throwing a big budget at it? The caliber of games we'd be getting would go way up.

Imagine if most of the games on here were made by an actual team instead of just 1 guy. Imagine if every game had a professional programmer doing the code, a professional writer doing the dialog, a professional artist doing the animation, and a professional composer doing the sound and music instead of whatever 1 guy can hash together in his spare time on weekends?

Wugga

Aug 6, 2016
I agree. Steam is the 800 pound gorilla in the games distribution market. Having the option to release your adult game on the most widely used distribution platform in the world for games is a big deal. In fact, it's a good thing even if you personally don't like or use Steam because wider distribution means a bigger audience which means more earning potential for good developers. I do wish they would clarify what their "unofficial" restrictions are though since their initial claim of basically anything that's legal is fine has proven not to be true. They probably also should add some tools for some people to be able to hide anything in their library that friends or family might find "questionable".

Now just because it's on Steam doesn't mean it'll be a good game, and the big AAA companies will never touch it due to brand concerns, but it does mean that adult games as a niche market has more room to grow now. Imagine if developers thought the earning potential was high enough that we had more developers that are closer to professional caliber doing adult games in their spare time even if it wasn't a company throwing a big budget at it? The caliber of games we'd be getting would go way up.

Imagine if most of the games on here were made by an actual team instead of just 1 guy. Imagine if every game had a professional programmer doing the code, a professional writer doing the dialog, a professional artist doing the animation, and a professional composer doing the sound and music instead of whatever 1 guy can hash together in his spare time on weekends?
A lot of those things you're saying are extreme hypotheticals that ignore that even with Steam a lot of indy games that aren't as taboo or niche as Adult Games still are made by 1 or 2 developers at most. Not to mention that Adult Games live and die with active support through Patreon or other sites rather than a complete game being published like on Steam. They are completely different markets and strategies that unless you're someone like Kagura Games who focus more on publishing translated games already complete in Japanese where they can pump 1-4 new games per month then you could be looking at an extremely shitty return.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I do wish they would clarify what their "unofficial" restrictions are though since their initial claim of basically anything that's legal is fine has proven not to be true.
They can't clarify this, mostly because they've to deal with the whole world, which mean that they have to deal with content that is always illegal somewhere.
Both for them and for us, the more blurred are their rules, the better it is. It permit them to juggle with this legal/illegal duality, letting some games be published as long as they don't have too much complaints. But if the rules where clear, then either a game is permit or isn't, and they wouldn't have the possibility to disregard some complaints that aren't explicit enough on the reason why the game shouldn't be sold on their platform.

Basically speaking, when the rules are "don't put illegal content", if I complain because there's bestiality in a game, they can still say that it's legal in the country where the game is made, and so it's my responsibility to not buy the game, not theirs to not sell it.
But at the opposite, if the rules states that bestiality is illegal, then they have no choice and must remove the game.

Imagine if developers thought the earning potential was high enough that we had more developers that are closer to professional caliber doing adult games in their spare time even if it wasn't a company throwing a big budget at it? The caliber of games we'd be getting would go way up.
Like Wugga said, it don't works like that. The adult scene rely mostly on games released by updates, because the devs need money through all the development process.
This said, it's also a question of times. Once the game is finished, it can be sold on Steam, and serve as complement earning to fund the creation of the next one, with a bigger team this time.
But it need two or three games (or one really excellent) before the earning coming from Steam become secured enough to offer the possibility to have a strong team behind every project. Which mean that we still have to wait few years before seeing this advantage being effective.

Reactions: DrackDrap

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
For me it's usually down to engine limitations combined with consistency/suspension of disbelief. In a cheapo flash game it doesn't really stand out if the vagina is just a static image moving up and down a bit because the rest of the body is basically the same. Contrast that with a beautifully animated and rendered 3D scene where the vagina still is a static texture, does not deform at all and in the worst case magically opens up before the penis even touches it. My personal tastes make it even worse although people might simply not be putting in the effort to animate things like tentacles and belly bulges properly.

For static CGs my main gripe is compulsively playing "spot the difference". Since each 2D image must be drawn individually the changes are generally pronounced and obvious or else they just re-use the same image. In 3D it's a lot harder to tell whether the action genuinely progressed or you are just given a different camera angle (which by the third time my imagination can easily fill in).

Between both of those points it's simply way easier to judge 2D work at a glance. If someone sucks at drawing the next hundreds of images will be just as bad.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
For static CGs my main gripe is compulsively playing "spot the difference". Since each 2D image must be drawn individually the changes are generally pronounced and obvious or else they just re-use the same image. In 3D it's a lot harder to tell whether the action genuinely progressed or you are just given a different camera angle (which by the third time my imagination can easily fill in).
Well, it fallback right in what I was saying. The same thing can be said for too many 2D games, while there's 3D ones for which this reproach don't apply at all.
The real difference is that for each 2D games, there's something like 50 ones that use 3D. Therefore, there's also 50 times more games with bad 3D CG. It make them more visible, but it doesn't mean that they are all what exist.

When you look at the CG of a game like The DeLuca Family by example, yes, the images will stay for few lines of dialog, and don't jiggle all the time. But they feel more living than most of the 2D CG I've seen in games. And I never found a 2D game where the CG can carry as much feeling than those ones.
And for me it's the problem of 2D CG. They are less static, but mostly they just jiggle and the face change from a generic expression to another. In the end, most of the time we looked at the same exact image for 10 minutes without realizing it, and will look at the exact same background for 10 more minutes. 3D CG stay longer on the screen, but also offer more variety and, when done well, feel way more living. And it's someone that was already in his twenties when Doom was released, founding the models so realistic at this time, who say this. So it's not because I think that 2D feel less living by definition, I know that it's false.

Note that I don't say this to convert you or prove you wrong. You was nice enough to answer the question, which is rare for this subject, so I give you my own point of view. Both are totally legit and none is better than the other. Anyway, both are probably biased in a way or another ; knowing me, I'm sure that mine is, I just don't know how.

Between both of those points it's simply way easier to judge 2D work at a glance. If someone sucks at drawing the next hundreds of images will be just as bad.
It's, more or less, the same for 3D.
The difference is that you need to find a reference first, and globally we are stuck between the realistic real time 3D of some AAA hits, and the average plastic doll looking we can see here and there since the middle of the 90s. But once you've found a reference point (The DeLuca Family is a good one, but not the only one), it become easier to discriminate good 3D CG and bad ones.