Why 2019 was bad for Adult gaming, (In my opinion)

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
In the end, most of the time we looked at the same exact image for 10 minutes without realizing it
My point there was extremely subjective because I do realise it. That means I can evaluate the image with only a quick glance and if it didn't change continue immersing myself in the writing, gameplay or my own mental picture/imagination. With 3D I always have this nagging doubt that I might be missing something because some authors like to offer multiple camera angles while others forward the scene and simultaneously shift the camera. Sure 3D artists could easily emulate standard 2D methods but in my experience they don't.

It's, more or less, the same for 3D.
The difference is that you need to find a reference first, and globally we are stuck between the realistic real time 3D of some AAA hits, and the average plastic doll looking we can see here and there since the middle of the 90s. But once you've found a reference point (The DeLuca Family is a good one, but not the only one), it become easier to discriminate good 3D CG and bad ones.
By no means do I believe the artistic side of 3D to be easy with getting lighting, perspective etc. "right" but that is not what I mean. For me the issue is that the more "realistic" the art gets the more I hold it to standards of actual realism and consistency. Spurts of cum just vanishing into the aether or leg-sized dicks going in with no visible bulging are fine with a more cartoony aesthetic but not the more realistic approach. Obviously almost no one draws hyperrealism in 2D nowadays and I see almost no cartoon-style 3D projects let alone them being mentioned in discussions.

Actually that might be a major factor in my view of the matter because I find myself judging the mostly RL-esque games on here much harsher than the many cartoony SFM productions which don't have a game or even just a story supporting them.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Actually that might be a major factor in my view of the matter because I find myself judging the mostly RL-esque games on here much harsher than the many cartoony SFM productions which don't have a game or even just a story supporting them.
Which is perfectly normal. The more realistic it look, the more we expect it to be effectively realistic, in all points. And the ones you talked about are more than valid. And once again, by chance all 3D games aren't like that. Generally, if the rendering is of good quality, you'll not have this kind of problem ; if someone pass sometimes half an hour to take care of the lighting and choose the angle that will give the best result, it's not to let down the others details.
But I understand perfectly your point of view. And like I implied, the large number of 3D games don't help since you need to browse more of them before finding the right ones.

Still I find that it's a pity that some people avoid all 3D games for this reasons ; like it's a pity when it's people avoiding all 2D games for the same kind of reason. Not because of the reasons themselves, but because when the CGs are well done (and I don't talk about just the rendering), it's always a good experience to play the game. This whatever if they are in 2D or in 3D. And it's for these missed opportunities that I find it a pity.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Still I find that it's a pity that some people avoid all 3D games for this reasons ; like it's a pity when it's people avoiding all 2D games for the same kind of reason. Not because of the reasons themselves, but because when the CGs are well done (and I don't talk about just the rendering), it's always a good experience to play the game. This whatever if they are in 2D or in 3D. And it's for these missed opportunities that I find it a pity.
And don't forget the "no RPGM" requests as if Unity-based day planners weren't laggy glorified walking simulators all the same ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SeventhVixen

EddyGordo

Oct 16, 2017
And don't forget the "no RPGM" requests as if Unity-based day planners weren't laggy glorified walking simulators all the same ;)
I fully agree with both of you.
Some judge games made in the RPGM engine, but there are actually insanely good RPGM games, and incredibly shitty as well, same with Unity and pretty much any engine.
I actually thought 2019 was a great year for h games, I'm a fan of platformers, action games, simulation games, puzzle games, RPG games, and there has been tons of great stuff on here & dlsite.
As well as some hidden gems by new developpers ;)
Only thing I need to try are VN games, haven't found some of my taste quite yet, mostly because I'm a lazy bastard that can't stand reading for 30 minutes before getting to the juicy parts