Why so many thread just became target practice against Devs?

D

Dr PinkCake

So many devs have abandoned their work and there came nothing out of them. It's important to be cautious. Furthermore, most ''games'' on here, or the ones i tend to bother, are Visual Novels. Those aren't games and not worth any praise. If you can't develop a simply hub world with little game elements and a way to revisit old sex scenes with different dialog etc then there's no reason for anyone to bother.
The games one should aim for in development is Princess Trainer, The Twist or even Rogue like.

I actually played your vn. I don't remember much but i did like the story, was nice to see compared to the shit usually posted on here.
See, your positive feedback of my game made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. You made my day better. :) That is a true sign that positive feedback is good. Thank you very much for that! (Episode 2 is around the corner)

I won't disagree on that many games are abandoned; it blows. In programming, or other projects too, finalizing a product is the most difficult thing to do. Especially if you don't have a clear cut goal in mind. That doesn't mean that the experience that an unfinished game brings won't be good. For me, all games I love here are unfinished (some abandoned). But sure, it doesn't hurt to be cautious, especially when pledging the dev.

I'm a little confused about your statement on VNs. You don't consider them games and think devs should make more ambitious games. But VNs are all that you play? Contradicting no?

About considering VNs to be games? Hm, I can go both ways here but to me they are games. It depends on the execution. The player interaction is what makes them "games" for me. The same engine that makes most VNs, Ren'Py, can be used to make other types of games (i.e. Milfy City).
Those games you mention are indeed great games and very unique. The problem is that most devs are not jack-of-all-trades, meaning that we cannot create games of that standard by ourselves. RenPy still allows indie devs to create something by our own and it is a fantastic engine for it.

kakhauf

Feb 13, 2017
See, your positive feedback of my game made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. You made my day better. :) That is a true sign that positive feedback is good. Thank you very much for that! (Episode 2 is around the corner)

I won't disagree on that many games are abandoned; it blows. In programming, or other projects too, finalizing a product is the most difficult thing to do. Especially if you don't have a clear cut goal in mind. That doesn't mean that the experience that an unfinished game brings won't be good. For me, all games I love here are unfinished (some abandoned). But sure, it doesn't hurt to be cautious, especially when pledging the dev.

I'm a little confused about your statement on VNs. You don't consider them games and think devs should make more ambitious games. But VNs are all that you play? Contradicting no?

About considering VNs to be games? Hm, I can go both ways here but to me they are games. It depends on the execution. The player interaction is what makes them "games" for me. The same engine that makes most VNs, Ren'Py, can be used to make other types of games (i.e. Milfy City).
Those games you mention are indeed great games and very unique. The problem is that most devs are not jack-of-all-trades, meaning that we cannot create games of that standard by ourselves. RenPy still allows indie devs to create something by our own and it is a fantastic engine for it.
My bad.
What i actually meant with mostly playing those VN's is that they most of the time are done with Daz 3d or have a different unique drawing style etc, which i like. I personally can't stand weeabo shit posted on here, i don't bother my time with them at all.

''Especially if you don't have a clear goal in mind''
This is probably the thing most devs on here do. They simply just start without thinking too much of it. There are plenty of games who started as a linear Visual Novel and around version 0.5 they turn their VN's in those hybrid hub world abominations with plenty of code errors in them and a lot of times they even go back to the linear style mid development.

It does seem that people prefer anything but a linear game style. Most here have those silly choices and i doubt any of them matter at all besides there being a number counted and allowing you to see the actual good stuff.
I find my self playing Rogue like once awhile, since the game allows you to visit old scenes here and there. You can't do that in a Visual Novel, besides having severel save files saved before the scenes.

All in all it's your choice what you're going to make.
I do hope you'll get more successful with your game and receive some nice cash on top of that.

stabrepete

Dec 5, 2020
Many games here are based on pirated stuff to begin with thus the tolerance level for 'milking' is simply lower than on other forums where people know less about assets used etc.
yep im willing to bet the 99% of the daz studio renpy games have not paid the thousand or so dollars for the assets they are using or the commercial licenses for them.