Why Step-mom or Landlady and not just mom ?

javier_himura

Jun 23, 2017
This requires a little more work than typing just a word but you can trigger something to change all those words if you ask the player to introduce the right word, instead of using said word to replace a specific word.
The point of using a separate file is to not have any proof in the game accessible from Patreon about Incest. The problem with what you said is that trigger is proof that there is incest coded in the game. With the relationships variable files, you can make this without having words like Daddy, Mom, Brother, or Sister on any place of the code in the Patreon version.

PD: What I hate most about those Incest patches are the games that do it wrong and maybe ask you the relationship, maybe asking two versions of the relationships to have thins like Father and Daddy, but then have mistakes like using Father as a replacement for the character name which in many dialogues they just use "Father" instead of "My father", "Your father", "Our father" that makes more sense. Or characters addressing the mother and father using their real name which does not make any sense because the author does not change every instance of the name, like "Take Over" game. The same happens between brother and sister, in this case, it makes more sense that they use their names but still two siblings that never call the other Brother, Sister, Bro or Sis does not make sense.

Last edited:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
but still two siblings that never call the other Brother, Sister, Bro or Sis does not make sense.
I don't think anyone anywhere ever has called their sibling brother/sister to their face. it's only used while talking to strangers to explain you have a brother/sister. "my sister has huge tits". but if they know your brother/sister you only use their first name. "Kate has huge tits."

also first names are never used between two people. the reason we in games use brother/sister/son/daughter is strictly for the fetish. IRL people would never say "oh brother, your dick is so big!" they'd say "oh, your dick is so big!"

mom/dad are different, those you use even when talking with them. "mom, your tits are huge!"

javier_himura

Jun 23, 2017
I don't think anyone anywhere ever has called their sibling brother/sister to their face. it's only used while talking to strangers to explain you have a brother/sister. "my sister has huge tits". but if they know your brother/sister you only use their first name. "Kate has huge tits."

also first names are never used between two people. the reason we in games use brother/sister/son/daughter is strictly for the fetish. IRL people would never say "oh brother, your dick is so big!" they'd say "oh, your dick is so big!"

mom/dad are different, those you use even when talking with them. "mom, your tits are huge!"
I am not talking just about sex scenes. I just talking about normal day-to-day conversations like "Ey Sis, where is Mom?" or "Dad, can I borrow your car?", "Mom, do you know where are my keys?", "Bro, have you seen my wallet?". Siblings usually do a mix between calling their sibling by their name but also brother/sister, usually affectionate versions. Sons and Daughters usually never call their parents using their real names. When I see those incest games in which the family characters are not talking like they are family when later there is a sex scene it doesn't feel like actual incest because they have not treated each other as family, it feels like two unrelated persons having sex pretending they are family.

johnreturns

Oct 13, 2020
Granted, this might be harder with a Twine game than a Ren'py game, but variables are the way to go here. I have no idea if the crowdfunding platforms ever do a code dive, but familial names have weight and connotation.

mc "Ah, I remember when [npc1] took me to the park. It was nice. We got ice cream cones, sat on a blanket under the stars, and cuddled while we watched fireworks."

If "npc1" is defined as "Mom" then you know the whole story. If "npc1" is "Dad" then you have a different story.
If "npc1" is "Sarah", then it is a third story... but if you have bits other places that say you and Sarah grew up together, and have always been close, then you are are friends or siblings.

mc "Hey, [mc_name_for_npc2]! Welcome home."
npc2 "Hey, hun. You would not believe the day I have had..."
mc I still get bashful when [mc_name_for_npc2] calls me that, but it feels good.

What one character calls another doesn't have to be their name. If "mc_name_for_npc2" is "Mom" and "npc2" is Darla, then you can define how Sarah from above is related pretty easily. Does she call npc2 "Mom" or "Darla"?

Is it more work? You bet. It's also pretty unimpeachable. The writing is for a perfectly acceptable relationship, but the whole context changes based on what people call each other. I've seen some that build the incest content into the game, based on a flag or whatever you type into a field, but if you are really worried about it put it in your own unofficial patch. You already know all the variable names, and you wrote everything with them in mind.

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
I bump this thread to ask the following without having to open a new one:

If the creator releases all their work for free outside Patreon but still while having a profile there, is that media still subjected to Patreon rules?

And just to clarify, in case some new dev is curious about it, if you work with something more advance than a VN engine, like Unity for example, writting variables or whole new lines is quite easy and approachable from multiple different ways.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018

If the creator releases all their work for free outside Patreon but still while having a profile there, is that media still subjected to Patreon rules?

And just to clarify, in case some new dev is curious about it, if you work with something more advance than a VN engine, like Unity for example, writting variables or whole new lines is quite easy and approachable from multiple different ways.
If by "a profile" you mean a content creator profile: yes because as long as you're open to get money then you aren't "working for free" and Patreon can say that you're founding that thing Patreon rules don't allow thanks to the money you get or will get in Patreon. If by "a profile" you mean a regular account to give your money to other creators: no.

It doesn't matter what variables you write, as long as the word "mom" or whatever is written within the game, they can still take you down.

Reactions: kintarodev

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
If by "a profile" you mean a content creator profile: yes because as long as you're open to get money then you aren't "working for free" and Patreon can say that you're founding that thing Patreon rules don't allow thanks to the money you get or will get in Patreon. If by "a profile" you mean a regular account to give your money to other creators: no.

It doesn't matter what variables you write, as long as the word "mom" or whatever is written within the game, they can still take you down.
I see thanks.

So again, how about those games with the option of writting your own 'relationship tag'?

From the dev POV, when you first release the game there's no trigger whatsoever, but as soon as the player rewrites such variable, it is stored inside a data file directly related to the game...

Is that workaround enough to be considered 'safe'? or does it just land in a grey area subjected to Patreon's subjectivity?

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I see thanks.

So again, how about those games with the option of writting your own 'relationship tag'?

From the dev POV, when you first release the game there's no trigger whatsoever, but as soon as the player rewrites such variable, it is stored inside a data file directly related to the game...

Is that workaround enough to be considered 'safe'? or does it just land in a grey area subjected to Patreon's subjectivity?
To begin with, Patreon is bullshit. You can make the simplest incest game and name it "I fuck my mom and my sister every morning with my morning wood in my dad's bed" and maybe you'll never get caught, and you can make the most clever and subtle incest game with the most complex workaround and get caught in a week. With that being said, it depends on who judges your game and how does he feel that day.

A writer must be really good and smart to make the same dialog work as incest or not with only one variable change, otherwise it'll look shitty. Players may understand and justify the shitty writing because most of them know it isn't the dev's fault, but it'll be shitty nonetheless, so devs end doing more than just a simple variable change and that's where Patreon can judge you and decide to take you down or not.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018

there's been cases of patreon banning for offending content on 3rd party sites. there's no real rules for them, they make them as they go and can ban your game even regardless of what they've ruled safe before. (like cartoon bestiality which they've specifically said is ok, but I wouldn't bat an eye if it got someone banned.)

there's no way to be 'safe' with incest content etc except not doing it. you always take a risk.

but if you wanna risk it, give them plausible deniability and keep your head down. and have a contingency plan.

Reactions: kintarodev

Juicer97

Jun 2, 2022
Fucking bullshit the patreon is pushing. They'll allow some degenrate real life creators who are spreading misinformation, inciting violence but a virtual piece of art is scary cause of incest... Logic!