Mod Wolf RPG Wings of Roldea - Hard Mod [v1.013]

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
WoR_upload.png

Overview:
Wings of Roldea is a fun game, but it is often too easy with the amount of money that is given to the player. This mod increases the difficulty substantially through tweaks to the money, sex, fighting, and crime systems. It also removes Sedation Souls, which were used to lower the EST stat. Instead, the EST stat is reduced naturally through sexual acts.

Updated: 2020/6/30
Game/Creator: - Waterspoon
Modder: joulescole
Mod Version: 1.013
Game Version: 1.20.8 or later
Language: English

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Recommendation:
To fully enjoy the mod, it would be best to install it and start a new EX mode (New Game +) file without keeping your previous sex stats. It would also be a good idea to use a file with your favorite outfits already unlocked, as money will be tight.
To get the full hard mode experience, do not accompany Ilmeia (the blue haired male knight) when leaving the first town, Carlo Vil. Doing so gives you a house for free and breaks the economy of the game. You should help him find the missing child, though.

Edits:

Edit 5:
Found that there were a number of late-game enemies that were too difficult, even with the most upgraded gear and no curse. Applied a small nerf to Geizer, Tntcla, ClearRp, and Skyula HP and attack speed. I may need to slow their movement speed some as well.

Last edited:

trashhumper

Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for this! After playing LonaRPG, I was craving another hardcore ero-RPG experience that focuses on difficulty and a scarce economy. I knew of this game, but hadn't played it before and found it to be way too easy after a short time with it. This mod looks to rectify that!

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
Thanks for this! After playing LonaRPG, I was craving another hardcore ero-RPG experience that focuses on difficulty and a scarce economy. I knew of this game, but hadn't played it before and found it to be way too easy after a short time with it. This mod looks to rectify that!
I need to give LonaRPG a shot. I only played the first bit of it, and it was interesting.

Since you didn't beat Wings of Roldea before, be sure to get a save file, go into that character's item menu and select New Game with EX mode. That was the original hard mode, but it didn't go far enough. Also be sure to tell Ilmeia "No" when he asks if you want to go with him to Noble towards the beginning of the game after saving the child.

Also, if you want the combat even more difficult I've got one more file that increases monster movement speed that might be too difficult for some. This is all a work in progress, so feel free to make suggestions as well.

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
After install, I get a read error. Cannot locate basic info data. Data/BasicData/game.dat?
Hey. Thanks for the heads up. I just tried it on my legal copy, and I got the same error.

I had only been using the cracked version to mod the game, since it was a little easier to work with. Unfortunately, I do not know how to fix what is going on, because it is probably a part of the anti-theft code.

I know this isn't a very good workaround, because I highly encourage everyone to buy a copy of the game to support Waterspoon, but the mod does work with the cracked copy of the game you can download here:

https://f95zone.to/threads/wings-of-roldea-v1-20-8-1-waterspoon.20530/

You can also copy over your "Save" folder to the folder that contains "Data" and "font", and your previous saves will still work.

trashhumper

Aug 6, 2016
I need to give LonaRPG a shot. I only played the first bit of it, and it was interesting.

Since you didn't beat Wings of Roldea before, be sure to get a save file, go into that character's item menu and select New Game with EX mode. That was the original hard mode, but it didn't go far enough. Also be sure to tell Ilmeia "No" when he asks if you want to go with him to Noble towards the beginning of the game after saving the child.

Also, if you want the combat even more difficult I've got one more file that increases monster movement speed that might be too difficult for some. This is all a work in progress, so feel free to make suggestions as well.
How much harder is EX mode compared to regular hard mode? Are damage outputs (given and received) the only difference?

I've been playing with this mod for some time and the game is definitely harder. I didn't use an existing save to unlock EX mode, but so far I've managed to grind my way through to increasingly more difficult areas of the game on the regular 'hard' difficulty. I took your advice and didn't get the early free house by following Ilmeia to Noble, so I scrounged every bit of gold and grinded until I was able to save 2000 to buy the house from the old man in Dominia. Little did I know that after completing Atele's Forest, I'd be given the same free house in Noble that I would have gotten from Frei had I followed Ilmeia in the early game. Oh well, now I have two houses. That being said, it seems like once you get a house, using an Inn is something you never really have to do again (at least in the early game).

Regular hard mode is already quite difficult at times, but if you're careful and take it slow, it's manageable. Increasing mob speeds might make this extremely challenging -- maybe even to the point of being frustrating (at least for me). I've already reloaded a few times when getting stuck in endless rape loops when passing out and ending up in a goblin den.

If I could balance this game in any way, I'd say get rid of houses altogether to make Inn's a mandatory part of the game. To ease the burden that this would undoubtedly cause, make Inn's slightly less expensive per night since item values are all nerfed. Another alternative (though probably not possible without a very extensive mod) would be to implement a simple rent system that requires the player to pay monthly rent to keep their town homes. You would probably have to add new NPC's to allow the player to re-negotiate their rental contracts should they ever lose their home(s) due to lack of funds.

Anyways, I'll keep playing around with this mod and see how it goes. Thanks again!

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
How much harder is EX mode compared to regular hard mode? Are damage outputs (given and received) the only difference?

I've been playing with this mod for some time and the game is definitely harder. I didn't use an existing save to unlock EX mode, but so far I've managed to grind my way through to increasingly more difficult areas of the game on the regular 'hard' difficulty. I took your advice and didn't get the early free house by following Ilmeia to Noble, so I scrounged every bit of gold and grinded until I was able to save 2000 to buy the house from the old man in Dominia. Little did I know that after completing Atele's Forest, I'd be given the same free house in Noble that I would have gotten from Frei had I followed Ilmeia in the early game. Oh well, now I have two houses. That being said, it seems like once you get a house, using an Inn is something you never really have to do again (at least in the early game).

Regular hard mode is already quite difficult at times, but if you're careful and take it slow, it's manageable. Increasing mob speeds might make this extremely challenging -- maybe even to the point of being frustrating (at least for me). I've already reloaded a few times when getting stuck in endless rape loops when passing out and ending up in a goblin den.

If I could balance this game in any way, I'd say get rid of houses altogether to make Inn's a mandatory part of the game. To ease the burden that this would undoubtedly cause, make Inn's slightly less expensive per night since item values are all nerfed. Another alternative (though probably not possible without a very extensive mod) would be to implement a simple rent system that requires the player to pay monthly rent to keep their town homes. You would probably have to add new NPC's to allow the player to re-negotiate their rental contracts should they ever lose their home(s) due to lack of funds.

Anyways, I'll keep playing around with this mod and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Which version of the mod are you using? For the increased monster speed versions, I made a point not to increase the speed of monsters (or theives) in their den where you can get captured and taken back to a cell, because I was worried about that type of soft lock loop. I never had a problem with just running away from them at normal speeds. But there were definitely some challenging parts in the original game, especially if this is your first play through. I think after a while I got too used to being able to kite monsters and attack behind walls, which is why I added the optional increased monster walk speed.

I realized in my last playthrough that Frei gives you a house at the end of that early forest dungeon. This is a big oversight on my part for the game balance I had intended. I think you're right about removing houses from the game entirely. Then the player would only have access to a reusable room after liberating Romenia later in the game.

Unfortunately adding new events to the game is still pretty complicated for me. All that I've done so far is edit database values and edit existing events. But it should be easy to just change the dialogue and remove the flags that unlock houses.

The only differences (I think) between Hard mode and EX mode are that you can't sprint in dungeons, time passes at the normal rate in dungeons, and you slow down and can't act for a couple seconds after an orgasm. The most challenging part of EX is getting through some of the five floor dungeons quickly before running out of VIT, as the game removes 5 VIT per hour.

Other than the economy, crime, and EST changes, this mod increases monster HP by around 50%, makes traps invisible (I almost never triggered a trap in my earlier playthroughs), and reduces the recast time on monster attacks.

trashhumper

Aug 6, 2016
Which version of the mod are you using? For the increased monster speed versions, I made a point not to increase the speed of monsters (or theives) in their den where you can get captured and taken back to a cell, because I was worried about that type of soft lock loop. I never had a problem with just running away from them at normal speeds. But there were definitely some challenging parts in the original game, especially if this is your first play through. I think after a while I got too used to being able to kite monsters and attack behind walls, which is why I added the optional increased monster walk speed.

I realized in my last playthrough that Frei gives you a house at the end of that early forest dungeon. This is a big oversight on my part for the game balance I had intended. I think you're right about removing houses from the game entirely. Then the player would only have access to a reusable room after liberating Romenia later in the game.

Unfortunately adding new events to the game is still pretty complicated for me. All that I've done so far is edit database values and edit existing events. But it should be easy to just change the dialogue and remove the flags that unlock houses.

The only differences (I think) between Hard mode and EX mode are that you can't sprint in dungeons, time passes at the normal rate in dungeons, and you slow down and can't act for a couple seconds after an orgasm. The most challenging part of EX is getting through some of the five floor dungeons quickly before running out of VIT, as the game removes 5 VIT per hour.

Other than the economy, crime, and EST changes, this mod increases monster HP by around 50%, makes traps invisible (I almost never triggered a trap in my earlier playthroughs), and reduces the recast time on monster attacks.
I'm using the latest version you uploaded. Regarding getting captured, I should clarify: I only reloaded because I'm trying to play a mostly 'pure' run. For me, getting captured is basically the same thing as game over, so I reload and try again. I'm sure if I kept trying to escape, I could have eventually made my way out of the caves.

EX Mode seems interesting. If I finish the base game, I'll be sure to give it another go. For regular hard mode, being able to sprint in dungeons is kind of OP since it basically allows you to bypass most generic areas without too much trouble (esp. the 5-floor dungeons). I kept thinking there would be a penalty for using sprint -- like it would make your VIT drain more quickly over time -- but no, there doesn't appear to be any disadvantage to using it.

The traps are kinda frustrating, but they add an interesting dynamic to the play when you can't see them. However, every time I triggered the Bind trap, it was never long enough for a monster to notice me or reach my character in time before it expired. But I think if the trap time was increased, it could get tedious quickly, especially since it's not uncommon to trigger several Bind traps within close proximity of each other. It could be interesting if the Bind trap slowed the character down for a duration of time after it's main effect expired.

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
I'm using the latest version you uploaded. Regarding getting captured, I should clarify: I only reloaded because I'm trying to play a mostly 'pure' run. For me, getting captured is basically the same thing as game over, so I reload and try again. I'm sure if I kept trying to escape, I could have eventually made my way out of the caves.

EX Mode seems interesting. If I finish the base game, I'll be sure to give it another go. For regular hard mode, being able to sprint in dungeons is kind of OP since it basically allows you to bypass most generic areas without too much trouble (esp. the 5-floor dungeons). I kept thinking there would be a penalty for using sprint -- like it would make your VIT drain more quickly over time -- but no, there doesn't appear to be any disadvantage to using it.

The traps are kinda frustrating, but they add an interesting dynamic to the play when you can't see them. However, every time I triggered the Bind trap, it was never long enough for a monster to notice me or reach my character in time before it expired. But I think if the trap time was increased, it could get tedious quickly, especially since it's not uncommon to trigger several Bind traps within close proximity of each other. It could be interesting if the Bind trap slowed the character down for a duration of time after it's main effect expired.
About traps, I can see them being very frustrating if you are going for a virgin run. But regarding your last point about bind: Later dungeons have slime or tentacle traps. While they don't cause penetration (I think), they do force orgasms. In EX mode that does cause the character to slow down for a while after. Their animations also last longer than bind.

If you ever want to go back to the normal visible traps, put back in your original CharaChip.wolf file. The trap invisibility is the only thing that mod file affects.

Have you gotten the curse yet? How is the balance for EST when having to masterbate to lower it in a virgin run? With a low Desire for Sex the game might be a lot easier, due to the speed buffs you get from low EST while having the curse. I found that without Sedation Souls, it was impossible to keep a lower EST with a high Desire for Sex. But that probably isn't a bad thing, because I was eventually able to beat the mission that breaks the curse even with its negative effects. It certainly made the game a lot harder.

Mar 21, 2019
I've been playing the mod too for a while on EX mode, and i'm not sure if it's intended or not, but you can farm red ropers pretty easily for money in there, which pretty much makes getting a room really easy.

Early game was alot more difficult which i enjoyed, but i just did transport quests for money, and got exp at west cave mainly, since even if you passed out there'd be no real issue. Any plans on changing what happens when you pass out (If that's possible?), Since you can sort of scum your way out of any issues with that so long as you know what spots are safe to pass out on or not. Either way, great mod so far :D

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
I've been playing the mod too for a while on EX mode, and i'm not sure if it's intended or not, but you can farm red ropers pretty easily for money in there, which pretty much makes getting a room really easy.

Early game was alot more difficult which i enjoyed, but i just did transport quests for money, and got exp at west cave mainly, since even if you passed out there'd be no real issue. Any plans on changing what happens when you pass out (If that's possible?), Since you can sort of scum your way out of any issues with that so long as you know what spots are safe to pass out on or not. Either way, great mod so far :D
Thank you for the feedback!

You're supposed to lose 200G whenever you pass out. But that's set to only happen when you pass out and wake up in a city, to prevent you from losing tons of money in a capture sequence. I'll have to look in to what's happening with the West Cave.

What location are the red ropers too easy? I tried to make the tentacle monsters the hardest to fight, but I may have missed an instance.

Mar 21, 2019
Thank you for the feedback!

You're supposed to lose 200G whenever you pass out. But that's set to only happen when you pass out and wake up in a city, to prevent you from losing tons of money in a capture sequence. I'll have to look in to what's happening with the West Cave.

What location are the red ropers too easy? I tried to make the tentacle monsters the hardest to fight, but I may have missed an instance.
Oh, that'd probably be the reason why i didn't notice much issues, I tend to sell the bare minimum for what i need, so i had 0G by the time i went into west cave. Whenever i passed out, i'd just go to the city and get VIT recharged for free basically, and since i'm trying my best to keep desire low (Because of the curse), that was extremely useful. Probably not intended to do that, though

For the location, you could just farm red ropers in the arena for 80g each, and since they aren't much of a threat so long as you keep a little distance, it's extremely easy to just earn money for a room, and then just buy the extra necessities, such as new gear. Again, not sure if it's intended for the arena to be a quick money scheme or not, however.
EDIT: I don't mean to say their AI is gone, just that it's a weirdly easy money tactic, in my opinion. Though, i'm pretty sure Tormea Plains North isn't patched, since the goblins are slow there (Haven't checked the other enemies, last time i passed through only saw goblins)

anon1010

Jul 8, 2019
I have no clue how difficult it'd be to change this but it'd be great if it wasn't so simple and easy to repair all clothing like its nothing, there are certain ways to change this like make the closets work like vendors so that you have to pay for the repair costs or maybe you can only find closets in taverns/inn's you have to pay to enter? I saw you were open to suggestions and that's definitely something that's too easy imo.

Reactions: joulescole

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
I have no clue how difficult it'd be to change this but it'd be great if it wasn't so simple and easy to repair all clothing like its nothing, there are certain ways to change this like make the closets work like vendors so that you have to pay for the repair costs or maybe you can only find closets in taverns/inn's you have to pay to enter? I saw you were open to suggestions and that's definitely something that's too easy imo.
I really like this idea. I haven't worked on this mod in a while, but that is worth checking in to. I found it easy to have the game remove money from you in certain situations, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the action to cancel if you don't have the money. Currently in the mod, like when you pass out, it will remove money but it will not go below zero, and there's nothing changed if you are at zero. Being unable to fix ripped clothes without money would be a great incentive to not be at zero gold all the time. Especially with the mod making it a crime to be seen naked in town.

Reactions: anon1010

joulescole

Dec 16, 2019
After thinking about your suggestion, I think the second one may be possible. If I remove the free house (already planning) and I remove the purchasable houses, and then I remove the functionality of the changing rooms outside of the ones in the inn room, this is probably doable. I'll try working on it. I really like this idea because it further encourages you to use the inns instead of just passing out with zero gold all the time.

Reactions: anon1010

jorshkan

Dec 14, 2020
How about making the protagonist move even slower when she's in pregnant stage? that surely would put a challenge for players that got caught

bazelgeuse

Oct 21, 2019
i was looking for a new game to play and was suggested wings of roldea. May have to get this mod depending on how easy the gameplay is