LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
do you possibly have low system memory to begin with? this game seems to use quite some part of RAM. wobbly when you have less than 4GB available free RAM for the game, not sure where the minimum sits.
The game executable file on Windows supports 32-bit operations only (It's an engine limitation), and because of that, it cannot use more than 2 gigabytes of memory. In the future we will be experimenting with the Large Address Aware flag, and see if it's possible to implement it for Windows executable, which should raise the limit to 4 gigabytes.

Usually, the Out of Memory error is caused by reaching the 2GB memory limit of a 32-bit application rather than running out of system memory.

Mind you this is a windows-only issue, Linux, Mac and Android already support 64-bit operations, which allows the application to utilize the full potential of the available memory.

Only ever got a error message once, and it was about a 'Memory Error' according to it.
Would you mind posting the log.txt file, located in the main game folder? It should give us more insight as to why the game crashes on your computer.

Last edited:

RegiZilla

Dec 17, 2018
The game executable file on Windows supports 32-bit operations only (It's an engine limitation), and because of that, it cannot use more than 2 gigabytes of memory. In the future we will be experimenting with the Large Address Aware flag, and see if it's possible to implement it for Windows executable, which should raise the limit to 4 gigabytes.

Usually, the Out of Memory error is caused by reaching the 2GB memory limit of a 32-bit application rather than running out of system memory.

Mind you this is a windows-only issue, Linux, Mac and Android already support 64-bit operations, which allows the application to utilize the full potential of the available memory.

Would you mind posting the log.txt file, located in the main game folder? It should give us more insight as to why the game crashes on your computer.
When the crash occurs, it doesn't seem to update the Log file. But here it is nonetheless, attached. I just had another one, randomly, when trying to purchase an outfit for Cho. Though that might be unrelated to the animated scene.

Also like to point out that it's not a result of a low-powered PC. I have a decent gaming rig laptop so system requirements aren't exactly the problem.

LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
When the crash occurs, it doesn't seem to update the Log file. But here it is nonetheless, attached. I just had another one, randomly, when trying to purchase an outfit for Cho. Though that might be unrelated to the animated scene.

Also like to point out that it's not a result of a low-powered PC. I have a decent gaming rig laptop so system requirements aren't exactly the problem.
Unfortunately there's not much we can do about the driver's memory leak, because that's something Intel would need to fix.

The log shows that you're using an Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 for rendering, please update your Intel drivers along with DirectX, this should resolve the issue, alternatively, if you have a dedicated graphics card, try switching to the dedicated card in Windows settings.

RegiZilla

Dec 17, 2018
Unfortunately there's not much we can do about the driver's memory leak, because that's something Intel would need to fix.

The log shows that you're using an Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 for rendering, please update your Intel drivers along with DirectX, this should resolve the issue, alternatively, if you have a dedicated graphics card, try switching to the dedicated card in Windows settings.
Strange, I have a NVIDIA card. It shouldn't be using Intel UHD Graphics. I will try your suggestion and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit. After updating the NVIDIA card and making it the default card for applications through the Nvidia Control Panel. I finally got the renpy application to start rendering with the NVIDIA card rather than my Intel one. Since then, I have experienced no crashes, even some lag has gone away! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: LoafyLemon

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
The second thing is when I change Hermione's hair and clothing, she is back to normal the next time I see her.
yea she rarely kept clothes set on her after she left and when she came next time, either she reverted to school uniform or was dressed from neck to toe.

Strange, I have a NVIDIA card. It shouldn't be using Intel UHD Graphics. I will try your suggestion and see if that resolves the issue.
disable that intel graphics from bios unless you use it for something.

Sellina

Nov 18, 2017
On mobile, the button for "books" in the Fred & Georges store doesn't work -> when i try to click on it, it makes me come back to the headmaster's room like when i click everywhere else outside the menu, is it normal ?

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
On mobile, the button for "books" in the Fred & Georges store doesn't work -> when i try to click on it, it makes me come back to the headmaster's room like when i click everywhere else outside the menu, is it normal ?
are you using latest version?

Sellina

Nov 18, 2017
are you using latest version?
I thought i was... but it appears i had the 1.39.0 and not the 1.39.2 because only the MEGA link was updated on the front page =o Downloading the 1.39.2 right now to see if it solves the problem ^^

Edit : it worked, thx a lot ! ^^

Last edited:

F1forhalp

SOTD: Lamb Of God - Vigil
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
How do I use cheats?
there's a menu in the top left corner, click it and pick the Cheats button. it gives you a list of available cheats.

so i guess the Intel GFX was draining the system RAM as well, trying to render at a full 2GB texture size as available according to the log. didn't see that coming.

LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
so i guess the Intel GFX was draining the system RAM as well, trying to render at a full 2GB texture size as available according to the log. didn't see that coming.
Yes, integrated GPUs utilize shared memory, which is close to about 50% of your available RAM.

Normally a low amount of available RAM would not be an issue if everything was working correctly, unfortunately, Intel's OpenGL drivers are whimsical and cause Memory Leaks on a driver level during some OpenGL operations like when you intersect multiple alpha masks on the same pixel (I'm not familiar with OpenGL enough to point at a specific draw call).

Since the leak is happening at a driver level, we don't have the means to fix the bug, and we cannot stop using Alpha Masking because it's embedded in the character sprite generator (doll maker, as we call it), the only way for us to alleviate the issue is to swap to Angle wrapper on affected Intel systems.

We would have thought that it would, nomen est omen, mask the issue, and it works, for the most part. The problem here is that, the Angle Wrapper relies on up-to-date DirectX libraries, so if one has very old, or incomplete DirectX libraries on their computer, the wrapper will introduce yet another list of issues, which can be completely unrelated to the first described issue.

One could say that we've done more harm than good by changing the active renderer, despite our best efforts and intentions.

My general advice to people affected by the rendering bugs would be to update your computer's drivers, including Display Driver and DirectX which should solve the issues in 90% of cases.

If that doesn't work, opening up the game and pressing SHIFT+G should open up the debug window, where you can pick the game renderer. Generally, I'd recommend trying out OpenGL first, then Angle/DirectX, and lastly Software renderer, though SW renderer is the slowest of them all, but it should be most compatible.

If THAT still does not work, you can always swap the active GPU used for rendering in either Nvidia Settings Panel, or in Windows Settings (For AMD).

Hopefully the driver leaks get fixed in the future,
Nerd signing out.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: F1forhalp

KingsRaiden

Engaged Member
Jan 4, 2017
yea she rarely kept clothes set on her after she left and when she came next time, either she reverted to school uniform or was dressed from neck to toe.
Did you use the clothing system? I checked that early and whenever I set up an outfit it goes away after a bit.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
how do i buy the book at the weasleys shop they keep telling me i cant
what book? are you using latest version?

Did you use the clothing system? I checked that early and whenever I set up an outfit it goes away after a bit.
yea I set up 1 clothing set to be used 24/7 and still after setting it up she reverted to normal clothes and after I got other clothing set I liked I did same and still she reverted to non-sexy clothes, cho had same if dismissed her w/o getting favor.

still occasionally she showed up on either of set of clothes.

LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
yea I set up 1 clothing set to be used 24/7 and still after setting it up she reverted to normal clothes and after I got other clothing set I liked I did same and still she reverted to non-sexy clothes, cho had same if dismissed her w/o getting favor.

still occasionally she showed up on either of set of clothes.
Either turn off Outfit Scheduling in the Wardrobe, or schedule your own outfits for various time and weather conditions.

It's mentioned in the tutorial.

Reactions: omocik
D

Deleted member 2721482

might be a stupid Q but whats the difference between chibis and CG images?
I got a prompt to choose them at the start of the game

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: omocik
4.10 star(s) 75 Votes