LB1990

Jan 11, 2020
It's important to be cautious when sharing or using save files from the internet. Loading random save files that you find online can put your computer at risk of getting infected with harmful software. The developers of Ren'Py, the software used to build this game and many more, strongly advise against this practice. In the versions 7.6 and 8.1 of Ren'Py, a warning will pop up whenever you attempt to load a save file that isn't from your own computer. This warning exists because save files can contain code that runs when the file is opened.
Malicious software created using this technique can have serious consequences:
  • It might gain access to, modify, or delete your files.
  • It could potentially spy on you by activating your webcam or recording your keystrokes (keylogger).
  • It may install additional harmful programs or viruses on your system.
  • Your unencrypted passwords could be exposed.
  • Your browser data could be accessed and stolen.
  • It might spread to other files and programs, causing further infections.
  • It could remain hidden from antivirus and malware detection software.
  • Attackers might gain remote control of your computer.
  • Your system could become unusable (bricked).
Notably, viruses developed using this method can affect various operating systems, including Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. This makes them a potential threat to a wide range of devices.
For a visual example, you can watch a presentation demonstrating a virus that resides within a Ren'Py save file here: .
Thanks you, even if i was already aware of it, i personally check everything i download, as a developper myself. This include games on this site and saves.

I suggest to add a system of chapters, this way, some would be able to review scenes/events, and others like me who lose saves may be able to skip some grind. I finished all the content from every characters, it would take hours to be back to this point

F1forhalp

SOTD: Katzenjammer - Hey Ho On The Devil's Back
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
It's important to be cautious when sharing or using save files from the internet. Loading random save files that you find online can put your computer at risk of getting infected with harmful software. The developers of Ren'Py, the software used to build this game and many more, strongly advise against this practice. In the versions 7.6 and 8.1 of Ren'Py, a warning will pop up whenever you attempt to load a save file that isn't from your own computer. This warning exists because save files can contain code that runs when the file is opened.
  • It could potentially spy on you by activating your webcam or recording your keystrokes (keylogger).
Notably, viruses developed using this method can affect various operating systems, including Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. This makes them a potential threat to a wide range of devices.
For a visual example, you can watch a presentation demonstrating a virus that resides within a Ren'Py save file here: .
hmmm that's one of the perks of me running games in a virtual environment then..
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

radbaz31

Feb 23, 2023
stuck i cant grope her no matter what i did all thing with other characters ...i should not increase her tear until i do all of those right Screenshot 2023-08-21 220135.png

RocketSurgery

Sep 15, 2017
Thank you for posting this, it's not the behaviour a user expects from a save file. The idea that a save file can run arbitrary code seems like a major vulnerability in Ren'Py. Game design is not my forte but that doesn't seem like necessary functionality for a save file?

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you for posting this, it's not the behaviour a user expects from a save file. The idea that a save file can run arbitrary code seems like a major vulnerability in Ren'Py. Game design is not my forte but that doesn't seem like necessary functionality for a save file?
well.. by design, and from the initial idea, Ren'Py itself is not a sole game engine, it's a platform (Python) with a load of things put together around it, to run as engine for whatever a dev will create, which can be a calculator, a sound recorder, anything.. even a game. now, this game more or less tells this platform "use this and that and that file (game core, assets, saves etc.), and do this and that (like keys/clicks input, compute interactions etc.) and do this or that with the result of what you've done (sound and screen output etc.)"
so if someone deviously puts instructions into a save file, the game (if it can't check the file against some security measures) will do 'as instructed by this and that file'. it takes some extra work to instruct the game to tamper-check files. if done so, more or less, savegames not created by your very own on this your very own computer existing right now game, will either not work for your game, at all, or in the least, a warning pops up. seems like, apparently, older Ren'Py versions didn't do this extra check for saves..?
that's why i have the perks of running everything in a virtual box which never executes anything modified or imported, and as result the 'downside' of downloaded savegames being useless for my games. i can't even hack my own saves (sometimes cheats work like this) because the box then flags that file as 'altered' and the respective game doesn't even see it at all. but, anything 'evil' would still remain in this virtual box and couldn't touch my real system. there are several antivirus solutions which do offer this "right click -> run virtual" without having to do extensive studies over virtual machines anymore.

Reactions: Hatler

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
renpy, rpgm, unity or unreal (or html but dunno who plays those) weren't designed to be game-engines on that level where those are used now. only secure platform is where 3rd party can't tinker code as easily as on renpy.

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
renpy, rpgm, unity or unreal (or html but dunno who plays those) weren't designed to be game-engines on that level where those are used now. only secure platform is where 3rd party can't tinker code as easily as on renpy.
i think the whole RPGM stuff (no matter X, VX, Ace, MV, MZ whatever the version) was developed with the intent to have focus on 'run as game engine', not certain if those games could run arbitrary code out of a savegame.. i'd guess games running on that would more likely not load the save, or just crash.. well maybe the latter MV and MZ with their giant load of .js (probably pointing to something outside the game environment, still eagerly digested by any windoze once it 'trusts' the game .exe) might be more open.
Unity on the other hand is in this regard comparable to Ren'Py, it's a platform with just so much possibilities other than running a game, that it might be easy to do something snaggish with saves. just like Ren'Py, it's not been developed with being a game core in narrow focus.

such platforms are like clay. one can make anything from it, nice pottery, or figurines, something nice and or useful. one can make something still useful, less nice.. like spikes or bullets, maybe.

Desan3

May 6, 2017
I felt like idiot. I thought this is a mod so I was trying to install this inside the original game but it show error every time I started the game :-D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RealF and cxx

DeD95

Sep 1, 2020
Will Become a Subscriber Soon to show more support and to try and speak with the Dev/modder more Directly...just hoping for an Updated or Part 2 scene for Tonks and Cho on MC desk with more Finish Options and the MC hitting the "mark" and not miss this Time:p;) hopefully in next update.glad Luna getting some Love in next Update as well(finally some more animated scenes and not just Texts)

4.10 star(s) 75 Votes