masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
I can try to make Ren'Py build an Android version, but I don't know how well it'll go, and I will not be able to bugfix it. I know Android devices generally don't like installing an unknown app that's larger than 1gb so you'll probably have issues even installing the damn thing.
While not perfect you can use an Android Emulator for testing.

At present, I'm very new to Ren'Py and Python in general. The one thing I CAN do is start working on a Skip button for lewd scenes that feature the girls you're not interested in. For story purposes, though, since so many stories interconnect with one another, it'll be really hard to skip the girls you're not interested in without doing a branching story, which I also don't know how to do yet lol. I hope the Skip button will be enough for now.

Though unless the sex scene is crucial for "plot" the option to say "Not Interested", the girl goes "Aww", and the game jumps to the next scene without bringing that up again is usually how it goes.

Maintaining variables to store the players crucial choices then using a few "if, elif, else" statements to add some flavor text is great.

By myself, I converted it from a sandbox game to a linear VN because I have no fuggin clue how to code a sandbox game, and also because I'm hearing that a lot of people absolutely hate sandbox games.
Most of the hate is a failure to do the breadcrumb trail right. People get frustrated pretty quickly if they have no clue whats going on and will try clicking everything, and I mean everything multiple times in the hopes something will happen.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
While not perfect you can use an Android Emulator for testing.

Though unless the sex scene is crucial for "plot" the option to say "Not Interested", the girl goes "Aww", and the game jumps to the next scene without bringing that up again is usually how it goes.

Maintaining variables to store the players crucial choices then using a few "if, elif, else" statements to add some flavor text is great.

Most of the hate is a failure to do the breadcrumb trail right. People get frustrated pretty quickly if they have no clue whats going on and will try clicking everything, and I mean everything multiple times in the hopes something will happen.

That's great stuff. I'll see if I can study that and make a simple Skip or Not Interested button for those who need it.

zackjack177

Apr 2, 2020
Needs to get rid of the not choices choices. If you ask do I wanna snoop through her stuff and theres only click to only go do that....you dont need a click choice for that, its not really a choice, just keep the story going

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
That's great stuff. I'll see if I can study that and make a simple Skip or Not Interested button for those who need it.
Skip is rather easy.

Not Interested takes a bit more work but the player will feel their choices carry more weight. Other devs use this to add some flavor text were the girl is disappointed but continuity is harder as if you reference her getting pounded in the rear then you have to remember if you gave the player the option to avoid that :geek: Regular Booleans work find for that.

Side Note: Use indentation to make your code easier to read ;) Easily seeing where labels begin and end can be helpful.

Last edited:

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Needs to get rid of the not choices choices. If you ask do I wanna snoop through her stuff and theres only click to only go do that....you dont need a click choice for that, its not really a choice, just keep the story going
Yeah, those are a remnant of the old version of the game, where you could come back later to do those things. There used to be a choice there when the game was still sandbox. I'll be removing them in the next build.

"CJ"

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 6, 2021
World's Crossing Academy [v0.1.4/v0.1.4s] [TeamEmberWings] crunched

Original / Compressed Size PC: 1,95 GB / 312 MB - WorldsCrossingAcademy-0.1.4(s)-pc-crunched.zip
Original / Compressed Size Mac: 1,93 GB / 295 MB - WorldsCrossingAcademy-0.1.4(s)-mac-crunched.zip

Download (PC/Mac): - -

Please drop a (y) to support my work. Thanks and happy fapping gaming! ;)

This compression is unofficial and untested, use at your own risk.
Compressing process reduces quality and can break the game.

Tools: YAC v3.1c (hngg@f95zone) -

Last edited:

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Side Note: Use indentation to make your code easier to read ;) Easily seeing where labels begin and end can be helpful.
Sorry, but the above needs clarification: indentation isn't used for readability in Ren'Py – well, Python really – but to indicate blocks of code; . Incorrect indentation on menus for instance will lead to Ren'Py not being able to parse the script.

Edit:

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: masterdragonson

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
Sorry, but the above needs clarification: indentation isn't used for readbility in Ren'Py – well, Python really – but to indicate blocks of code; to the parser. Incorrect indentation on menus for instance will lead to Ren'Py not being able to parse the script.
That is pretty much it. It helps indicate blocks of code.

Python:
# Scene Label
label my_scene_1:
    # Content goes here
    if some_variable > 0:
        # More content goes here

# Next Scene Label
label my_scene_2:
    # Content goes here
In contrast to how some of the code looks
Python:
label some_other_scene:
# No Indentation
# Makes it hard to see
label some_new_scene:
# That I just rolled into another label

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019

Python:
# Scene Label
label my_scene_1:
    # Content goes here
    if some_variable > 0:
        # More content goes here

# Next Scene Label
label my_scene_2:
    # Content goes here
Python:
label some_other_scene:
# No Indentation
# Makes it hard to see
label some_new_scene:
1625002546200.png
Code IS indented, sir/madame. I'm using Atom.

At least, the code *I* wrote is properly indented. I may have to go back and look at the code my old coder wrote in the first couple of chapters, if there are issues there.

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
View attachment 1272452

At least, the code *I* wrote is properly indented. I may have to go back and look at the code my old coder wrote in the first couple of chapters, if there are issues there.
To be fair I only spot checked a few points in 00Prologue.rpy :p The random sample of "label scene3:" wasn't so elegant and clean. It's functional though (y)

Probably should point out this only affects those that look under the hood at the code :LOL:

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019

Python:
# Scene Label
label my_scene_1:
    # Content goes here
    if some_variable > 0:
        # More content goes here

# Next Scene Label
label my_scene_2:
    # Content goes here
Python:
label some_other_scene:
# No Indentation
# Makes it hard to see
label some_new_scene:
It's not about 'helping' but about being an integral part of the language and required for conditionally executing blocks of code. See my edited post.

In your first example # More content goes here needs to be indented else the code won't function as expected. In your second example rolling into another label isn't a problem and identation not needed. Especially if # No Indentation were to be light banter upon choosing not to lewd an LI, with label some_new_scene: being the reentry of said jumped to lewd scene.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: masterdragonson

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
It's not about 'helping' but about being an integral part of the language and required for conditionally executing blocks of code. See my edited post.

In your first example # More content goes here needs to be indented else the code won't function as expected. In your second example rolling into another label isn't a problem and identation not needed. Especially if # No Indentation were to be light banter upon choosing not to lewd an LI, with label some_new_scene: being the reentry of said jumped to lewd scene.
Ren'Py doesn't treat labels the same way as menus or conditional statements. But the comment line in all honesty doesn't matter since it's a comment line. In fact you can write up code like the second bit only indenting to show a block and it will still work, hell you can throw more labels in like sprinkles on ice cream and it will still work. I've seen many projects do that but it's when you're looking for when one scene begins and ends that can be confusing especially if it's a couple hundred to thousand lines of dialogue code. That is usually when the dev is looking to implement higher features like Scene Replay. But to the most part the regular player won't notice what's going on behind the scenes as long as the main part functions.

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
View attachment 1272452

Indent labels like other blocks of code
1294107_1625002546200.png
While you can put label abcont2 on the same indentation as scene abchat34 does not mean it looks neat under the hood. Add a spacer to make it more apparent a new label has started.

While picking on the former coder is fun this is for code nutters. Great game by the way :love:

Oh yeah, if you haven't done so already VictorSeven open a ticket so you can request a Game Developer Tag
https://f95zone.to/threads/game-developer-tag.49322/

You can also link your patreon on here to get a little P under your name.

Last edited:

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Ren'Py doesn't treat labels the same way as menus or conditional statements. But the comment line in all honesty doesn't matter since it's a comment line. In fact you can write up code like the second bit only indenting to show a block and it will still work, hell you can throw more labels in like sprinkles on ice cream and it will still work. I've seen many projects do that but it's when you're looking for when one scene begins and ends that can be confusing especially if it's a couple hundred to thousand lines of dialogue code. That is usually when the dev is looking to implement higher features like Scene Replay. But to the most part the regular player won't notice what's going on behind the scenes as long as the main part functions.
The comment line does matter as you used it as a placeholder for 'more content', so it's actually not a comment at all in regard to our discussion. And I never said that labels and conditional statements were treated alike. I merely pointed out a sensible case where a label could be found inside a scene, on the same level of indentation. But we're moving away from my initial point which was to clarify that there's more to indentation than readability alone.

Indent labels like other blocks of code
View attachment 1272586
While you can put label abcont2 on the same indentation as scene abchat34 does not mean it looks neat under the hood. Add a spacer to make it more apparent a new label has started. A prime example of my previous point.

While picking on the former coder is fun this is for code nutters. Great game by the way :love:
That's exactly what they shouldn't do. The label does neither indicate a new scene nor will it ever be reached from outside the scene it is placed in. It's a perfect example of the above point.

Nicely done, VictorSeven.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexaSky

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
That's exactly what they shouldn't do. The label does neither indicate a new scene nor will it ever be reached from outside the scene it is placed in. It's a perfect example of the above point.

Nicely done, VictorSeven.
There isn't a reason to have that jump as both "Be Flirty" and "Be Professional" would continue to the next section of code after their portion of code ended.

Labels aren't needed for choices unless that choice jumps to another distinct section of code in which case it shouldn't just blend in with everything around it.

zackjack177

Apr 2, 2020
Yeah, those are a remnant of the old version of the game, where you could come back later to do those things. There used to be a choice there when the game was still sandbox. I'll be removing them in the next build.
ok cool. I like the setup and world you got going on. Like others said hope the anti male hate goes after a bit, good job (y)

Nov 24, 2019
When and how did this become a Ren'Py coding thread? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Gonna throw my two cents anyway :whistle:

Indents were primarily conceived for readability and are widely used in nearly... Every programming language.

Python decided to not use the curly braces from other languages ({}) and use indent instead; But a few other languages like C and JavaScript does not require indenting at all - In most cases, you could write a full program in a single line if you so wished.

There's still a huge debate on what is a good indent - 2 spaces, 4 spaces, 8 spaces, or a tabulation (which lets the user adjust to their tastes. It is not allowed on Ren'Py). Currently, 4 spaces are more widely used, however the 8 spaces standard is older, from the times where doing too much nesting could cause stack overflows and other problems, as it allows you to quickly identify such situations.

There are some standards commonly regarded as good practice - like to always intend your code, to limit how long your lines are, to use blank new lines when separating functions, to use names for labels and variables which will make sense even if they're longer (exceptions exist*), to don't mix casing standards (CamelCase, under_score, ALLCAPITALS, etc.) for the same thing, et cetera.

But there is no universally agreed upon specific standard, and in the end of the day, each coder will have their own style. (How long is a long line? Should global variables be all capitals, or all lowercase? etc)

Which also varies on the background of the coder; But for python, the contains the most widely accepted coding convention for the language. It's (strongly) advised to follow it, but you don't have to.

While at it: The Ren'Py launcher allows you to view the script by label, and most IDEs may build some sort of "tree" with all defines (and labels, if the IDE knows Ren'Py), allowing the dev to quickly skip to different parts of the script.

The overhead caused by labels is negligible as this is not performance-critical; And used correctly it allows the dev to quickly correct a report of "there is a bug on the scene after the menu with of option AB". (It improves navigation for the dev).

But again, this is the part of style which depends on the author.
A traditional coder excuse for this would be that the menu may (or may not) have changed the game world (the global variable space), so the label which called the menu has fulfilled its purpose and further changes on the game world should happen at a separate label.

And therefore... Coding Style is an endless debate. :)

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Fan Sigs

View attachment 1272728

View attachment 1272761
AHH AWESOME!

View attachment 1272795

However let's get back to what really matters, the waifu wars!
Is the knife girl femdom only or will we get a chance to romance her?

View attachment 1272805
Cecilia will have a story of her own :) She is a romance option.

ok cool. I like the setup and world you got going on. Like others said hope the anti male hate goes after a bit, good job (y)
The anti-male thing is a part of Ms. Clements' story. Progress there, and things will change. :) Thank you!

4.50 star(s) 32 Votes