Would you play a nsfw game with Dice Roll RPG elements?

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
How important is it for you for a game to have only visual novel elements and minimum gameplay, other than follow the story and play with 1 hand, and click on some choices/actions.

Is this too much gameplay? Imagine this makes sense too, like it's your confidence and charisma vs her willpower, if you win, seggs. If not, go get some flowers to impress her and have a higher chance to win the roll.

More context at this reply

(in this example, if you win the roll, he takes off his pants because they're stained)

20230530_202915.png

Last edited:

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Depends on the game, depends on the story, depends on the setting, depends on... well... the gameplay and it depends on my mood (If I just want to quickly wring one out, I'm not going to play a VN or 32-button smasher).

And it mostly depends on how necessary or useful these game mechanics are for a game of its nature.

There are instances where I want little or no gameplay elements (like a run-of-the-mill Story-VN (pretend here to be a rant about how badly these gameplay elements are usually implemented)), and others where I want to have an elaborate system (like in a brothel simulator (pretend here to be a rant about the importance of gameplay und how unnecessary deep story elements are)).

So this is not a question that can be given a blanket answer.

But what's the worst is when a game tries to be something that it's not.
So as long as a game doesn't pretend to be something else, it's fine and will usually find its playerbase, those who like this kind of games/gameplay.

Tl;dr - I am a tabletop/pen&paper roleplayer... guess my answer. :geek:

Reactions: JeFawk
Oct 14, 2022
I dont see how it can add to the game.
If you can turn it into a visual novel.
Chances are that gameplay will just be tacked on and the game is a visual novel with an anoying minigame.

Dice rolling can work but require an accauly game system to support it.
D&D for example isnt just rolling dice.
It is selecting feats, class, racial bonuses, spell selection, weapon selection, bonuses from buff's, etc.
Dice are just the tool you use to get an outcome.

Depending on how the dice is intergrated into the game will be a major factor.
While failing to give a woman an orgasm due to bad rolls might be funny the first time.
Repeated failures will only lead to frustration.

Superpowered 2 added dice roll's to see if your power worked.
That got modded out fast as it did nothing but make you waste energy and time to get a chance for your power to work.
Now if instead of it decided if your power worked it decided how effective your power was that would make it more fun.
For example:
If i roll a 20 i get 20 control.
If i roll a 12 i get 12 control.
If i role a 1 i get 1 control.
With modifiers and tricks to increase the amount i get.
Even then i probley prefer reliable numbers over rng.

To go back to D&D.
Attacking with a sword is a 1d20+ strenght modifier.
So if i roll a 15 and have 14 strenght i have a modifier of +2 making to chance to hit 17.
If i hit i then get to role my damage dice of 1d8.
+2 strenght bonus.
So if i roll a 6 i do 8 dmg where if i roll an 8 i get 10 dmg.
The fun is comming up with a good build that makes you get the best possible outcome via your build.
And that is before we get into the change the rules spellcasting.

Adding dice to a visual novel wont make it better.
I find that other system 1d100 system do it slighty better.
As in the dice decide just how succesfull you are instead of if you are succefull.
Like bluffing your way into a womans pants can be a 1 success: she doesnt resist, 2 success: She pulls them off for you, 3 success: She is dripping wet.

It can add but honest i dont think it is worth it.
Not enough gain and to much frustrating rng preventing player control.

Reactions: woody554 and JeFawk

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I do like having stats and rng to simulate personality and uncertainty, but I hate card games. so I most likely wouldn't play an rpg with explicit dice rolling, as it makes it explicit that the game's rng is NOT simulating personality but instead pure random chance. which reduces the characters into flat emotionless automatons or objects.

D&D crossed my mind as well, and it seems instantly clear it didn't include dice rolling to roll dice, but to simulate independent personality for characters as well as real world uncertainty. at a time where hiding it into code wasn't feasible with the lack of personal computers. and where that uncertainty differs from pure rng, is that it was always meant to be adjustable with the choices player makes. ie. your stats improve your chances, and the selection of stats and stat objects is NOT random but a result of player's actions.

Last edited:

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
I dont see how it can add to the game.
If you can turn it into a visual novel.
Chances are that gameplay will just be tacked on and the game is a visual novel with an anoying minigame.

Dice rolling can work but require an accauly game system to support it.
D&D for example isnt just rolling dice.
It is selecting feats, class, racial bonuses, spell selection, weapon selection, bonuses from buff's, etc.
Dice are just the tool you use to get an outcome.

Depending on how the dice is intergrated into the game will be a major factor.
While failing to give a woman an orgasm due to bad rolls might be funny the first time.
Repeated failures will only lead to frustration.

Superpowered 2 added dice roll's to see if your power worked.
That got modded out fast as it did nothing but make you waste energy and time to get a chance for your power to work.
Now if instead of it decided if your power worked it decided how effective your power was that would make it more fun.
For example:
If i roll a 20 i get 20 control.
If i roll a 12 i get 12 control.
If i role a 1 i get 1 control.
With modifiers and tricks to increase the amount i get.
Even then i probley prefer reliable numbers over rng.

To go back to D&D.
Attacking with a sword is a 1d20+ strenght modifier.
So if i roll a 15 and have 14 strenght i have a modifier of +2 making to chance to hit 17.
If i hit i then get to role my damage dice of 1d8.
+2 strenght bonus.
So if i roll a 6 i do 8 dmg where if i roll an 8 i get 10 dmg.
The fun is comming up with a good build that makes you get the best possible outcome via your build.
And that is before we get into the change the rules spellcasting.

Adding dice to a visual novel wont make it better.
I find that other system 1d100 system do it slighty better.
As in the dice decide just how succesfull you are instead of if you are succefull.
Like bluffing your way into a womans pants can be a 1 success: she doesnt resist, 2 success: She pulls them off for you, 3 success: She is dripping wet.

It can add but honest i dont think it is worth it.
Not enough gain and to much frustrating rng preventing player control.
I understand and agree with this. The game I'm working on is not a pure VN, it's more an RPG i think, while nsfw. Still, the dice rolls can end up being frustrating.

"Repeated failures will only lead to frustration."
But if that's the case, I hope that the user will realize what he must do in order to achieve his goal (obviously this is not easy to explain to the user, but I'll do my best)

"The fun is comming up with a good build that makes you get the best possible outcome via your build."
Indeed, though different builds should be good at different things. Maybe if you pick too much Constitution you aren't as flexible to try out Position X (backwards doggy with your neck on the floor), but you can do Y (holding her up against the wall).

I'm trying to make a bit more of a game than a visual tour of harems, hopefully will be worth playing and paying attention to win the rolls. Reckon that gives players more pleasure? When they work a bit for the cool sex scene?

It's definitely not a game for a quick fap.

Thank you for pointing those out. I copy pasted it in my research doc.

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
I do like having stats and rng to simulate personality and uncertainty, but I hate card games. so I most likely wouldn't play an rpg with explicit dice rolling, as it makes it explicit that the game's rng is NOT simulating personality but instead pure random chance. which reduces the characters into flat emotionless automatons or objects.
What about stats added to the dice roll? Would that help?

You roll for seduce, your charisma gives you a big fat boost, your confidence does the same. The dice rolls do add some RNG, maybe you're having a bad day or you stutter when you talk to her.

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
A quick example (as I talked too little to Sam, Stranger danger is quite high, was lucky and won still):
(linked this to top post for more context)
1685482720720.png

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
What about stats added to the dice roll? Would that help?

You roll for seduce, your charisma gives you a big fat boost, your confidence does the same. The dice rolls do add some RNG, maybe you're having a bad day or you stutter when you talk to her.
It would work as a character creation device, every playthrough would begin differently and make different stategies feasible. it could give more meaning to understanding the game world, which is skill based. maybe with these starting stats it makes sense to approach things as a bully, and these other stats would fit manipulative play style better.

then again, letting the player actually choose his initial stats would be even better. but of course giving player obstacles and (the right kind of) uncertainty is never a bad thing. it makes the game world seem more alive and demands paying attention to things instead of mindlessly skipping ahead.

bethrezen0

Jan 27, 2022
I don't like VNs, so less VN shit and more of actual game is always better.

"Is this too much gameplay ?" I have no idea honestly, all i see is a screenshot of some game i don't know anything about, and something that looks like an excel spreadsheet. Can't possibly have anything to say about the gameplay based on that, that very short description doesn't explain much to me.

The only thing i can say about dice rolls is that i don't see a reason why they should be visualized as throwing actual dice in a video game, video games throw the "dice" all the time when it involves a chance of something happening like chance to hit, dodge, skill checks e.t.c. And since you in game don't have to throw all these dice yourself like in real life tabletop RPGs, i see no reason to add actual mechanic of throwing dice to games(unless it's a minigame or a game that wants to simulate the RL game that involves throwing dice), they are just redundant, since they are always can be thrown without any user input you can visualize them and effects of them in any other more creative ways.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
if you frame the rng buffs/debuffs as independent game world events I think it might work great. like taking chances might contract you with a timed STD buff or other diseases that would affect your events. there could be a story behind every stat effect, maybe you did something or maybe even the world is undergoing an event. the destruction of village fertility symbol gives all girls a horniness debuff for 40 days, a comet passing increases your mind control power effectivity 20%. finding a secret magic object (or winning it in battle) gives a flat stat boost of something.

anything for as long as rng doesn't simulate rng but instead some actual thing. nothing is more depressing in games as guaranteed results, but breaking it with rng needs to have an understandable logic ie. a story behind it.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
There are good and bad RPGs just like there are good and bad Visual Novels. It doesn't matter if it's 100% driven by dice rolls or 100% story driven if it's done well. It's a different experience. It's also perfectly fine to mix the two with something like a central storyline combined with a bunch of randomized side quests or something.

The main game mechanic I would stay away from is minigames. Those are almost never fun after the 100th time you've beaten the same minigame. So even if it's well done and actually fun the first few times, eventually I don't want to have to play that minigame anymore, I want to skip it.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the more I think of it, I'm so adding world event based rng stat effects in my game. they're perfect for weaving in ministories and lore which actually affects gameplay.

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
the more I think of it, I'm so adding world event based rng stat effects in my game. they're perfect for weaving in ministories and lore which actually affects gameplay.
Sounds great xD glad ... this thread could help???

Reactions: woody554

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
My favorite RPG style mechanic to add is a combination of perks, achievements, and character creation options that let people customize their character to have various bonuses and/or penalties even if it's otherwise a story driven game. That's a big focus in the game I'm working on.

Reactions: JeFawk and woody554

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
I don't like VNs, so less VN shit and more of actual game is always better.

"Is this too much gameplay ?" I have no idea honestly, all i see is a screenshot of some game i don't know anything about, and something that looks like an excel spreadsheet. Can't possibly have anything to say about the gameplay based on that, that very short description doesn't explain much to me.

The only thing i can say about dice rolls is that i don't see a reason why they should be visualized as throwing actual dice in a video game, video games throw the "dice" all the time when it involves a chance of something happening like chance to hit, dodge, skill checks e.t.c. And since you in game don't have to throw all these dice yourself like in real life tabletop RPGs, i see no reason to add actual mechanic of throwing dice to games(unless it's a minigame or a game that wants to simulate the RL game that involves throwing dice), they are just redundant, since they are always can be thrown without any user input you can visualize them and effects of them in any other more creative ways.
I understand something like this can get boring to look at. It takes about 5 seconds though (maybe I can code the animation to finish instantly on 2nd mouse click).

However it's nice for people interested how/why they won the roll, or why they didn't. It's not something like in-combat weapon swing (where you see your dmg done, if you dealt a crit etc, the D&D combat log basically). And it won't happen too often either.

It's also a way for us to add a bit more context to what is happening (the NPC being scared that you are using magic for example)

But I understand your point, and it's valid. Thank you for your feedback :]

Also I apologize, I didn't explain the full context of the game but it didn't feel nice linking to my post here since I'm not trying to market anything and just looking for people's reaction/ideas on this dice roll thing, however here it is.

Reactions: bethrezen0

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I hate games that have dice rolls for basic actions, like attacking or evading. I really like it when RNG is implemented in a game's sexy aspects though. Say, pregnancy risk, strip card games, or dares like this:

bdsmlr-10469358-TUyuwHb87g.jpeg

That said, I mainly like it when there's an element of risk to the female MC. Unpredictable outcomes aren't sexy in and of themselves. The positive outcome could be a reward or something else the MC wants. The negative outcome should be something risky/humiliating (whether the MC enjoys it or not, both can work). Even better if the game enforces the outcome and no savescumming.

Imagine this makes sense too, like it's your confidence and charisma vs her willpower, if you win, seggs. If not, go get some flowers to impress her and have a higher chance to win the roll.
I wouldn't get too excited at that gameplay. Because while there is a reward, there is no risk. You just roll until RNGsus decides to stop jerking you around.

I think for me, the game Lost Chapter is the best example of RNG making a game sexier, because it's a proper roguelike with actual gameplay that the H is integrated into, with both card draws and player actions deciding whether/how MC gets fucked.

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
I don't like dice emulation. It seems contrived. RNG I'm fine with generally, although RNG in dialogue branching is very questionable, the example above feels very binary.

RNG is better used in combat, where there are multiple consecutive rolls with cumulative effect (damage).

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Dice, or RNG, I always liked them, and I added on the battle parts of my game. It's more a personal preference than user's... I think my players don't like them, so I put fights sparingly as a special event of sorts, or when something big is happening.

Now, besides using rng to make certain events happen or not, or battles, I don't use it.

Death Panda

May 8, 2023
My kneejerk reaction to the screenshot is that there too many stats. Don't fall into the FATAL trap of rolling for anal circumference, your goal for stats shouldn't be to represent every aspect of reality using numbers. By your own words, the only really relevant stat you could have affected was stranger danger, so you should probably get rid of every other stat on that screen.