Would you play a nsfw game with Dice Roll RPG elements?

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
My kneejerk reaction to the screenshot is that there too many stats. Don't fall into the FATAL trap of rolling for anal circumference, your goal for stats shouldn't be to represent every aspect of reality using numbers. By your own words, the only really relevant stat you could have affected was stranger danger, so you should probably get rid of every other stat on that screen.
I understand and agree there are a lot of stats, however having customizability is very important for us. and those stats are needed for combat. There is no stat in that list that is not used in other parts in the game.

I highly doubt that my own words said the only relevant stat is Stranger Danger (point out where if I did, I was, am, and will be tired at all times).

What I said was that it was high because I didn't play enough in that run until I decided to roll, hence it was high, but I was lucky and won. Under normal circumstances if people don't play and just roll for sex, they will fail, because if you go up to a girl and ask her to bend over you'll have a heck of a time :D

Thanks for your feedback though, too many stats, got it

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
I don't like dice emulation. It seems contrived. RNG I'm fine with generally, although RNG in dialogue branching is very questionable, the example above feels very binary.

RNG is better used in combat, where there are multiple consecutive rolls with cumulative effect (damage).
Okey I understand. I'm hoping it can be a little suspense element, especially that you might get lucky and have another dice thrown there as bonus.
The dice roll animation takes about 5 seconds I think. Would there be something else you'd prefer in the middle of the screen in this UI layout? Maybe the dices already rolled when the UI appears?

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
I... just don't like dice. In tabletop, I view dice as necessary evil, something that we just have to have to facilitate numbers-based game mechanics with RNG. But in a computer game there is no reason to remind me constantly of the numbers, it strains the suspension of disbelief. I enjoyed Armello less exactly due to this mechanic. Also maybe I'm wrong about this without playing, but on a hunch 5 seconds is hell of a long time. You better entertain me with fancy dice physics.

I'm not sure I am explaining this well, it's just a personal preference that I'm not sure how to articulate precisely. It's like an extra literary framing device that constantly reminds the reader it exists, while not being necessary. Imagine you read a story about reading Lord of the Rings. So it's 98% LoTR, and 2% of... "You turn the page. You see a doodle of an elephant someone scribbled on the margins. Anyhow, the page reads: <proceed to narrate LoTR>" That's what it feels like to have dice displayed. Unless it's game within game (Gwent), I want RNG a bit behind the veil, so to speak, not displayed prominently.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: JeFawk

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
I... just don't like dice. In tabletop, I view dice as necessary evil, something that we just have to have to facilitate numbers-based game mechanics with RNG. But in a computer game there is no reason to remind me constantly of the numbers, it strains the suspension of disbelief. I enjoyed Armello less exactly due to this mechanic. Also maybe I'm wrong about this without playing, but on a hunch 5 seconds is hell of a long time. You better entertain me with fancy dice physics.

I'm not sure I am explaining this well, it's just a personal preference that I'm not sure how to articulate precisely. It's like an extra literary framing device that constantly reminds the reader it exists, while not being necessary. Imagine you read a story about reading Lord of the Rings. So it's 98% LoTR, and 2% of... "You turn the page. You see a doodle of an elephant someone scribbled on the margins. Anyhow, the page reads: <proceed to narrate LoTR>"

Hope that helps.
Thank you, I might be getting a clearer picture. The dice looks kinda ok with the animation and bouncyness but nothing spectacular (they also need a better skin to fit in which the artist is going to work on).

Seems it's 3 seconds if you're in a rush and click fast.
dice roll.gif
Any suggestions on what to add to make this animation better are welcomed.

If we get more feedback like this I'll look into adding some setting about or something...unsure what to replace it with though.