DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Okay so the last "Change of plans" was posted late at night and I was very tired but wanted to get my thoughts out, so I wrote it out as quickly as I could and I didn't go into much detail so that's the goal of this post. This is hopefully my last brain vomit post for a while.

Before I start with that I do want to mention that I proposed to my girlfriend last night and she said yes. I didn't plan to propose (Had another plan for it in mind) but I brought the ring just incase the perfect moment happened... and it did. So I'm now engaged and that's pretty fucking cool.

Okay, now the post starts for real.
After my hiatus I made a few changes that I thought would be enough to guarantee consistency. Those included getting rid of making a set of weekly renders, changing to a bi-weekly schedule, and changing from a hard deadline date of Thursday to Thurs-Sat.
While those changes do help it also kind of showed me what the real issue was... and I already knew it was an issue but I thought those changes would make it way easier to manage.
The issue is how I approach the work and how I deliver it.

The issue:
I'm not a robot. I'm a human that makes mistakes.
So with my current schedule and how I release things I have little room for fuck ups or basically anything other than the initial plan. It's super structured and if one thing falls out of place then everything falls with it.

Why is that?
When I release an update I release 100% of everything I have. Meaning the day after the update I'm back to square one.

Why is that a problem?
It leads to volatility. If I have a bad week then it basically always leads to a delay.
Another reason and it's a self imposed problem is that I always try to one up myself. "I did 180 renders last week, I can do better this week!" and that just keeps happening and the number keeps growing. When I first set out to work on WVM I had said I'd do 80-100 renders a week. Then the goal was 120, then 140, then 150...
I always want to do more and more... and that leads to delays because it only takes one fuck up to cause one... and the delay leads me to want to do better the next time and deliver even more. That cycle just repeats and repeats.
How do you fix it?
There's a few approaches. I could switch to a "it's out when it's out" schedule but I think I'd still have the same issue of trying to over deliver (see day 7 final).

I could stop giving hard deadlines but still have two releases a month. (This may be a thing, but not sure how to implement it)
I could build a buffer of renders so it isn't a mad dash for content after every single update and I can pull from it whenever I have fuck ups or need some time off for real life stuff. (This is 100% happening. After this update I'll be spending some time building up a stash of renders)

Set a soft cap of renders per update. (This is also happening. The number in my mind right now is 240 because I think that's a number I can reliably hit and overshoot a little to help build up the buffer. And when the buffer is large enough I'll have slightly larger updates.)

Conclusion:
A soft cap and a buffer of renders is the only path I see to me being 100% consistent barring any major tragedies. I maintain all the good about the work and updates while getting rid of almost all of the bad.
It takes some time to build but it's the perfect time as pledges are paused. It's kind of too obvious a solution to not take advantage of.

Other benefits of the buffer include giving me the time needed to work on some of the things that benefit WVM that can be a pain to work on mid update like building scenes, working on characters or custom textures, and things like the character sheet.

And finally news about the update:
I'm just gonna give it to you straight. The update ends in a mini cliffhanger currently. (The kind of playful ones I do on occasion which would be fine with the normal schedule) but I think I should see that scene through as there won't be any update past this for around a month. So trading a few days for a hot scene that wouldn't be seen for a month otherwise. I know my last few posts have been titled "I'm an asshole" but I guess it turns out I'm not big enough of one to hit you guys with a cliffhanger before going on with this plan.
The scene will take a few days, so the update will be out this weekend. Likely Sunday as I'm going to be celebrating with the fiancée for a bit today. I'm quite excited about things.

That's all I had planned to touch on. If you guys have any questions or advice feel free to leave a comment and I'll get to it when I can.

Love you guys <3
Congratulations. :)

Boehmi

Dec 11, 2017
First of Congrats Mate.
But now there is a big bummer for me. Not the Delay itself but the way that leads to it. In the "Im a asshole p2" it says:
"The update will 100% be out tomorrow, I'm not going to randomly add shit this time. "

This little 100% thing ..damn Mate. Please dont us the term 100% anymore. It make little Boehmi sad :(

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
I'm I the only one that feels like, this game has lost it's edge
I never thought it had a "edge" til the bowling event 2 updates ago. Edgy is not a word i would describe the vn with.

This vn is just one of the best looking, best pacing, and one of the best written harem vns. I just don't think "edge" was a main ingredient, more of a seasoning to enhance

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Wow! Great news. Congratulations! I am very happy for you.

Thanks for not leaving us on a cliffhanger, haha. I know its common on games here, but whenever I see a cliffhanger and then the next slide "thanks for playing, etc, etc", I audibly groan. Do we really need a knock on the door with a new character saying "I am your real mother", or whatever it is right at the end of the update? I will he happy to take any delays to prevent that, so kudos.

Congratulations again.

Koushiro

Apr 18, 2019
I'm I the only one that feels like, this game has lost it's edge
You're certainly welcome to your opinion, and it will obviously feel differently to different people, but I would strongly disagree. For me, the last update was probably my favourite in terms of character interactions of the entire game. I loved the relaxing with Jamie and Shauna moments, the Stacy conversation was a great culmination and even just the little moments with Cedey and Nat were short, but sweet little moments.

And from the lewd perspective, the cheerleader scene a couple of updates ago was arguably the best lewd scene in the entire game. So to me it feels like WVM has not only kept its edge, but is continuing to improve. Then again, I play this game like 99% just for the interactions with the girls and honestly don't care about the lewd content much anymore so every conversation is wonderful to me and I can see how someone else might not like that as much.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Mazel Tov!!! So happy for you and your better half BD (and always remember that little phrase that will always asure a happy marriage......... "yes dear" :) )!!!

And forget the game for now, celebrate with your girl and get back to it later, it's not THAT important! Your fans will wait patiently for how ever long it takes.

Nov 18, 2018
Ditto on the facepalm. I rarely use it. If you're stupid I just ignore you. If you're offensive, I put you on the ignore list. But some offensive stupidity just requires a facepalm ... before I put you on the ignore list.

Reactions: TheSidewinder
3.70 star(s) 642 Votes