Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Don't Rachel and the main character both agree at some point, that Ryker's plan can't be as simple as that? By revealing his evil betting scheme he cleary only wants to make sure the MC does the exact opposite. So we should probably help him? Except, he probably wants us to think that!
By the way: Not so long ago, somebody even tried to sell me on the idea of Stacy being a plant, send by Ryker to spy on the inner workings of the family.
I agree that his plan isn't that simple, but he's a smarmy asshole and I'm not going to help him. I do not want to believe that the cute red head can be his spy.

Next People will be saying that Penny is a stalker.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Ah, yes. Now it is more clear. By, again, paraphrasing what I just said in agreeing with you, you have once again made a point which I totally agree with.

Would you be okay with extending the "illusion of choice" mechanic, which the player is already partly subjected to? This would mean a fixed story progression. You could maybe still have options like "Boink coed :)" or "Do not boink coed :(" and "Add female to harem :D", I guess. So, no complex branching, no multiple endings, only "missable" content?
Of course i would be Ok with that.

My main worry comes from branching the story, which will increase the workload by a lot.

Anyway, its the Dev decision, if he thinks the reward is worth the risk and the extra workload, then its his game

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Just my two cents being thrown in here, but I don't see the basketball games being as big of a dilemma as other people seem to make it out to be. For starters, assuming that we're going to play through every single game in the season seems a little ridiculous, I'm hoping and somewhat expecting that BD won't go that route. We'll certainly "play" a handful of games, but if we do play *every* game, we open ourselves to this problem people are having where "oh no we lost every game and this means either the story won't make sense because Harper definitely shouldn't keep her job or BD will have to create two separate routes."

So, simple solution there - play only certain games within the season, gloss over some others. If I were BD I would count most of these skipped events as wins, just enough so that Harp can reasonably keep her job without the player feeling the need to worry about their own game choices resulting in major storyline issues. Even if you lose all the games you do play, Harp doesn't get fired, you still make the playoffs/championship game at the end of the game (or wherever the story goes), etc. If BD feels up for it, they could just have the games that the players actually decide to win/lose impact the overall ending of the game, where winning more games --> better ending somehow, but honestly, the MC seems locked into having a great future either way so the harem will be provided for no matter what happens, imo.

As for the games themselves, easy - make winning the game an incentive, but not necessary. Win the game? Congrats, have extra sex scenes! Fuck Bailey, or Nat, or Emiko, or any of the cheerleaders after winning a game! Have a threesome or an orgy or whatever after a particularly important win! Make progress with Harp, potentially even have some one-off encounters with opposing cheerleaders or random fans or whatever. The point is, these scenes shouldn't be vital to the plot. Win the games and be rewarded. Lose the games and continue on as though nothing happened. Or hell, even if you lose the games, you can have alternate sex scenes - tough loss? Don't worry, Jamie and Shauna will be there to lift your spirits. But again, these scenes should just be bonuses, not story-altering, at least in my humble opinion.
But if it is like you say, whats the point?

For example, if you have already added Bailey to your harem, why would to choose the option that leads to NOT have sex with her?

Which would be the reward from playing this "handfull" of games?

Why change what is already working in such an awesome way, for something like this?

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Well today is the last day for that update
So if there is nothing today, credibility and trust went out the window.
Maybe sometime this year if not next year is more credible.....peace.
I will keep giving Braindrop as much time as he needs.

Why are people so desperate? He had issues, give the guy time to get himself together, he isnt a robot, and he even stopped the payments, why do people keep pressuring him?

Aug 7, 2019
I stand by my previous comment about the next update, I'm fine if I don't see another update to WVM till September. I know it'll be worth the wait and as far as i'm concerned Braindrop deserves to enjoy his summer doing what he wants, whether that be working on this game or chilling on the beach, even more so given he has stopped payments. We all need time to chill and get ourselves together every now and then.

UnrealLimits

Jun 2, 2018
Well today is the last day for that update
So if there is nothing today, credibility and trust went out the window.
Maybe sometime this year if not next year is more credible.....peace.
Why today? You gave up ages ago anyways. Are you just indecisive and anytime BD puts out a comment you jump back on board immediately? If today is the last day, I hope you at least stop posting on this thread and leave it be. Stay true to your word. PEACE :)

I just played through a fifth play-through of the story and I'm still loving everything this game is becoming. I cant wait till Ryder's character get involved more in the story. I really want to see that play out.

May 19, 2020
But if it is like you say, whats the point?

For example, if you have already added Bailey to your harem, why would to choose the option that leads to NOT have sex with her?

Which would be the reward from playing this "handfull" of games?

Why change what is already working in such an awesome way, for something like this?
How would you know which options lead to success and which to failure? As others have said, it sounds like it will be multiple decisions made before and during the basketball games that leads to winning. Unless you're using a walkthrough, using the rollback function once it's clear to you that you messed up somewhere, or else doing a followup play through, you shouldn't know for certain what the correct answers are.

The point? I'm not BD, I don't develop the game. I'm just offering how I would handle it, since it's clear that BD is intent on having it be a feature, and I don't blame them - the entire premise of this game is that you're a basketball star coming to this university that doesn't deserve your skills. We're not just going to skip over all the basketball aspects, otherwise what was the point of establishing that we're a basketball star? BD could have just as easily made the MC a swim star like Kimmy, or a track star, or a footballer, or just a random ass kid that gets lucky all the time... but they didn't. They made him a basketball player for a reason, so there has to be basketball content as a result.

Even if WVM is primarily a VN, it's still a game where your choices matter. The only people you HAVE to have in your harem are Jamie and Shauna, at least as of right now. You can choose not to sleep with Zoe or Bailey or whomever, just as you can choose *to* sleep with them. What's the point of choosing not to sleep with them? Maybe you'd like to avoid that content because the character just doesn't appeal to you. Similarly, what's the point of NOT having sex with a character? Again, maybe you just don't want to experience that scene. Or, like I said, if there are alternative scenes for losing the game, maybe you'd choose not to win. Then there's the complaint about not being able to experience everything in one play through, but honestly, it would just add to the inherent ability to replay this game.

More importantly, you could make the "reward" of playing these games Harper. You don't like the bonus sex scenes idea, ok fine, just make it so that winning a game gives you more and more action with the coach. You win the first game, she finally kisses you, you win the second you guys make out or she promises to go on a date, you win the third and you progress in sexual content, etc.

The bottom line is, BD is developing the game they want to, and because of that there are things they simply have to work around. Building the game around a basketball player would really just suck if the game then went "oh yeah, and then we won every game ever," or even if it was just "we won that game, we lost this one," etc. It's an interesting dynamic, and sure it'll be more work for BD, which could mean slower updates... but they're building the game they want to, and if you've liked what's come so far, you should have trust in what will come next.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
We're not just going to skip over all the basketball aspects, otherwise what was the point of establishing that we're a basketball star?
Why not? When the MC is a businessman, do you have to solve business problems?

In Haleys Story, where the MC works with Excel sheets, do you have to solve excel sheets.

Being a Basketball Star is THE BACKGROUND STORY, just like in any other game in this whole site, where you dont have to actually do the job the MC has.

Its actually bad that you have to do the job of the MC in this kind of game. No one is here to play a basketball game, that is just the background that explains why the MC is there, why the other people react to him in that way, etc.

The background story shouldnt take the spotlight of the gameplay aspect of the game, they are too different things

Even if WVM is primarily a VN, it's still a game where your choices matter.
Actually no, the game got it success with a gameplay where the only options that matter is if you accept a girl into your harem or not.

There are other games where choices have other impact in the game

Last edited:

eternitysgrasp

May 12, 2017
I'm just a lurker here and never post on these forums. But I enjoy this game and figured I'd contribute to the conversation. The basketball aspect of this game seems like it could be fun to me. I like the idea of having an impact on the outcome of the games. I don't think it needs to be a mini-game or something like that. I'd prefer the idea of it being a section of the game where you make choices that will lead to your team getting the advantage or having a disadvantage. There could even be bits where you can further your friendship with certain teammates so that they will be reliable enough to sink some good shots.

I get that most people are just interested in the sexual content, but I think the basketball part could be fun. If it just gets glossed over, then I won't dislike the game suddenly. I could just see it being a kind of neat thing. It could lead to some branching paths where the MC has to be cheered up if he loses or gets to celebrate if the team wins. We'll see what comes of it either way.

iroll1s

Jun 14, 2019
Being a Basketball Star is THE BACKGROUND STORY, just like in any other game in this whole site, where you dont have to actually do the job the MC has.
Hm. But then again, the MC doesn't study law or seeks to get an MBA. His only course so far is communication. He “communicates” a lot, but we do not see him study or even pay much attention in class over the last few days (granted, he skipped one class and then the teacher ran away).

You have to admit "Basketball Star" is a way better action-premise than “Tax Accountant”?

I'd argue that any game that features a MC in a very tedious, probably high-paying job is a game in which the dev does not want to preoccupy characters and players with actual occupational work stuff.

In Haley’s Story the MC is mostly doing spreadsheets (and his roommate). Life with Mary had the most boring MC ever and he was …a financial manager. The MC in Midlife Crisis is an aging contractor with his own firm (construction, not assassination).

The only game (I can currently think of), where the MC is not a knight, a space captain or some other kind of amazing fantasy or scifi hero and does his actual job would be General Practitioner.

The MC in WVM is a basketball star because BD knows the sport, likes the sport and played it, too.

You are right: We do not see the MC do boring everyday stuff. We see him play frickin’ ball, man! I’m a highly caffeine addicted dice wrangler and even I find that to be way cool!

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Hm. But then again, the MC doesn't study law or seeks to get an MBA. His only course so far is communication. He “communicates” a lot, but we do not see him study or even pay much attention in class over the last few days (granted, he skipped one class and then the teacher ran away).

You have to admit "Basketball Star" is a way better action-premise than “Tax Accountant”?

I'd argue that any game that features a MC in a very tedious, probably high-paying job is a game in which the dev does not want to preoccupy characters and players with actual occupational work stuff.

In Haley’s Story the MC is mostly doing spreadsheets (and his roommate). Life with Mary had the most boring MC ever and he was …a financial manager. The MC in Midlife Crisis is an aging contractor with his own firm (construction, not assassination).

The only game (I can currently think of), where the MC is not a knight, a space captain or some other kind of amazing fantasy or scifi hero and does his actual job would be General Practitioner.

The MC in WVM is a basketball star because BD knows the sport, likes the sport and played it, too.

You are right: We do not see the MC do boring everyday stuff. We see him play frickin’ ball, man! I’m a highly caffeine addicted dice wrangler and even I find that to be way cool!
It doesnt matter if the job is boring or not, its still background story.

The point of being a basketball star is to explain why you got 3 free houses, a free car, why are you here, why are you ins constant contact with cheerleaders, why everyone you encounter knows who you are, etc. Again, background story.

When you allow your background story to take over your gameplay, you are making a mistake.

It makes no sense to use development resources into making gameplay out of it. This isnt a basketball game, by any means.

Being a basketball star its the same as being a contractor in Midlife Crisis, its there to explain why things happen, not to become part of the gameplay, and should be treated that way.

Braindrop is making the same mistake that Lab Rats did, which turned a VN into a serum management game

Reactions: Arcane666

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
I'm just a lurker here and never post on these forums. But I enjoy this game and figured I'd contribute to the conversation. The basketball aspect of this game seems like it could be fun to me. I like the idea of having an impact on the outcome of the games. I don't think it needs to be a mini-game or something like that. I'd prefer the idea of it being a section of the game where you make choices that will lead to your team getting the advantage or having a disadvantage. There could even be bits where you can further your friendship with certain teammates so that they will be reliable enough to sink some good shots.

I get that most people are just interested in the sexual content, but I think the basketball part could be fun. If it just gets glossed over, then I won't dislike the game suddenly. I could just see it being a kind of neat thing. It could lead to some branching paths where the MC has to be cheered up if he loses or gets to celebrate if the team wins. We'll see what comes of it either way.
The problem with that is that is adds a huge workload. Because once you have the ability to have impact in the outcome of games, you inmediately almost double to amount or work, and therefore halve the amount of content you will get each update, because the Dev needs to at least makes two paths, one where you win, and one where you lose, and the impact that has in the story.

So now your "it could be fun" turns into being a huge stone for the rest of the game lifespan.

Games that have different branches usually have low amount of characters. Having different branches in a game with this amount of characters is a recipe for the game to get abandoned.

There is ONE DEV making this game, this isnt EA. Adding a big amount of workload just to have an impact on the background story makes zero sense.

iroll1s

Jun 14, 2019
It doesnt matter if the job is boring or not, its still background story.

The point of being a basketball star is to explain why you got 3 free houses, a free car, why are you here, why are you ins constant contact with cheerleaders, why everyone you encounter knows who you are, etc. Again, background story.

When you allow your background story to take over your gameplay, you are making a mistake.

It makes no sense to use development resources into making gameplay out of it. This isnt a basketball game, by any means.

Being a basketball star its the same as being a contractor in Midlife Crisis, its there to explain why things happen, not to become part of the gameplay, and should be treated that way.

Braindrop is making the same mistake that Lab Rats did, which turned a VN into a serum management game
You have now effectively convinced me: WVM is not a harem style erotic visual novel. All the gratuitous sex with young, nubile and buxom students (and the occasional milf)? That’s just background! The support structure provided by these willing and affectionate people is only designed to help the MC to better follow his one true calling: Throwing a spherical, orange object through a metal hoop!

Therefore, WVM is a choice-based basketball team simulation. Yay!

Last edited:

LN1982

Sep 27, 2018
I think the main thing that having the basketball games have at least some impact, is that it can add consequences for actions that are mostly lacking to this point. Yes, this is a sex game visual novel, but add some gravitas to the decisions, even if it onlys affects WHICH sex scenes you see does make for good gameplay. Not saying that branching should be done for every pass/shot, but at least some impact from the games is almost necessary in order to every maintain the illusion of a basketball story. Some of us also appreciate the work that BrainDrop has put in setting up this "basketball background story."

3.70 star(s) 641 Votes