VN Ren'Py Yesterday's Crossroads - Chapter 2 [v0.3.1] [CHAQUINN0]

4.40 star(s) 41 Votes

ViperGts151

You don’t like me? Fine. Don’t waste my time then.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018

ViperGts151 note Part 1 too long to post in one go
Hey, everyone!
Not necessarily a post about the game itself today. However, I got quite a few of you asking me how I light my scenes in the game and my random renders, so I decided to make this not-so-brief, but in-depth sort of tutorial.
Keep in mind that I am by no means a master of the craft, in fact I’m still learning a lot of things every day.
Use this guide as a one way of doing this, but not as a definitive guide.
I really hope it helps you somehow.

There are many different ways to light a scene, especially since there isn’t one specific time of day or environment. I follow some fairly simple concepts known as ‘Two Point Lighting’ and ‘Three Point Lighting’ and apply my own twists to them.
Keep in mind that you don’t necessarily need to do exactly what I do. You can take this concept and apply your own way of doing it.
Personally, I like using emissive surfaces for my light sources since it gives me better control over the objects and colors I can apply to the lights. You can increase or decrease the size of the emissive objects, and it emits a nice, smooth light overall. Not only that, often the characters will have a shine reflecting on their eyeballs which adds to the aesthetic.
You can use any type of light you want though: point light, spotlight, sun-dial. Just keep in mind that the results will differ according to the type of light you choose.

HOW DO I MAKE MY EMISSIVE SURFACES?
This is the simplest part, in DAZ you can navigate to Create > New Primitive.

A small window will pop up with a few options, I usually choose the Plane at it’s default options.

Once we have our plane selected in the scene, we need to make it emissive. In order to do so we need to navigate to the Surfaces tab. In case you don’t have the Surfaces tab open, go to Window > Panes (Tabs) > Surfaces.
Now in the Surfaces tab, expand the categories until you find the Emission. Here you will notice that the color is set to Black, this means that there is no emission set to this object.

When you click on the black color, a color picker window will open, in here is where you can change the color of your emissive surface. You can pick any color you want, but for this example I will just set it to white, and click Ok.

Notice that now your Emission options changed, there are more options in there, this means that your Primitive is now emitting light, but it’s not bright enough, so let’s set the Luminance to a higher value. Maybe 250000?

Great! Now we have an emissive surface lighting up our scene!
You can change it’s color, increase or decrease it’s luminance in this exact same options within the Surfaces tab under Emission.
Each render will have it's particular settings, so you will need to experiment and tweak to find what's suits best for you.

IDENTIFYING YOUR ENVIRONMENT AND YOUR POINTS OF LIGHTS
The first thing you need to understand is where you are; maybe it’s an open space, a small enclosed room, a big hall, a photo studio, etc.
Once you know where you are, you need to find your Key light, which is your main source of light. This can be coming from a light bulb in the ceiling, a small table lamp, a phone, a window...
For example:
In this image, the main light source is the window.

In here, it is coming from the lantern she is holding.

But what exactly is the Key light?
It is the strongest point of light in your frame, it’s the light that wherever it is coming from it’s illuminating most of your focal point. It doesn’t necessarily need to be pointed straight to the subject, but it is usually doing so.
The second point of light is the Filler light, or Bounce light. This light will counter the strong shadows that the key light is casting, giving your image a better balance making it less dramatic. I will explain this better in a little bit, for now just remember what it is used for.
The third is the Back light, this has many different applications, it can be used to light an environment as a whole as well as to “separate” the subject from the background by illuminating their silhouette.

USING THE LIGHTS
Example 1 – Outdoors:
This first example is in an open space, where the key light is the sun/sky and we don’t really need to create anything fancy for it, all we need to do is use the natural light in our favor.
In this example I am using DAZ’ own default HDRI map to illuminate the environment. The best part about working on a 3D environment is that we can totally control where we want that point of light to be, so in here I rotate the dome in order to get that sun spot exactly where I want.

Dome rotation 95º

Dome rotation 270º

Notice that where the key light isn’t reaching, it is casting a very rough dark shadow on her face?
This is where the filler light comes in, so that it can counter those shadows giving it a softer brightness.

Note that the filler light must not be brighter than the key light, or else it will become the key light itself and totally wash away those shadows, and we need some of those shadows so that our image doesn’t look flat and boring.
You can position the light source at an angle not too far, but not too close to the subject. Make is smaller or bigger. Experimenting, trial and error is the best way to find the sweet spot for your scene.

In this case, we are done. We don’t need a back light since the key light is also doing that job for us by lighting the environment itself through the HDRI.
Here is this raw render, no post-work done.

Example 2 – Indoors:
When it comes to lighting indoors it gets a little more complicated depending on the size of the place. However, we can still apply the same concept and make it work.
Usually the assets already come pre-lit out of the box, which helps a lot, but sometimes that’s not the case. In this example, I am using the DAZ asset, which does not include a good lighting set of it’s own, so we are gonna have to get creative.
LIGHTING THE ENVIRONMENT
The first thing you should do is light up the room you are in, and for that you need to identify where your light source(s) should be coming from, maybe it is from a window, or maybe it’s as simple as a ceiling light. It’s up to you.
You can do a practice right now, look around you and see where the light in your room is coming from, that will help you identify it within your 3D scene.
Sometimes one light source will suffice, but at times you may need one or two extras.
Never use one giant light source, or make the entire ceiling an emissive surface, else your environment will look terribly flat with no shadows and very bright.
In my case, I needed two ceiling lights for this one, there is also a window where there is some light coming through, but I purposely blocked the window light by putting a fence outside.

Great! Now that we have our room lit up, it’s time to put our characters in and add a key and filler lights to the scene.

Here is how this shot looks through the camera.

See how I put the Key light at an angle?
This is to avoid the subject looking flat, giving it a nice soft depth.
Which side to put the light is up to you to decide. Keep in mind that if you put it against the camera the shadow part of the face will be the one facing the camera giving your scene a more dramatic aspect, while if you do the contrary the effect will be the opposite.
Speaking of dramatic, here is an example of lowering the environment light and adding a Back light in order to shift the mood of the scene only by using lights.

PS. I also lowered the camera’s f/stop in order to blur the background even more and increased the bloom for that mood shift.
For this shot I lowered the ceiling lights Luminance, and totally removed the Fill light so that the rough shadows on her face would come up. In addition, I lit up the lamp in the back in order to add a mood light in the distance.
Once you have your lights in place, you can control them however you want to achieve the mood you are aiming for. :)

ViperGts151

You don’t like me? Fine. Don’t waste my time then.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018

ViperGts151 note Part 2
Example 3 – Using a Spotlight
I recently made a render that prompted a few questions as to how I made it, so I’ll include it here as well, and you can use this concept on your own renders.

In this example the key light is coming from a Spotlight, which works great to emulate sunlight. In fact I only use spotlights for this purpose myself.

It also has a filter in front of it so I could achieve some shadows to emulate it coming through a window of sorts.

In this environment I used with no light sources inside, but on the outside I just used DAZ’ default HDRI map so the light would come through the window and light up the room.

Let’s first create a Spotlight (Create > New Spotlight) and point it where we want to illuminate.

The spotlight setting I'm using is in the image too.

Looks pretty boring, doesn’t it? So let’s add some shadows in front of it now.

In order to do it we will have to first create a blank white image with black shapes in it. You can do it in Paint, GIMP, Photoshop or whichever your image editing tool of choice.

Here is the one I made:

Now to add it to DAZ is pretty simple, first create a Primitive (Create > New Primitive) and select Plane.

With your Plane selected, go to the Surfaces tab and search for “Cutout Opacity”. The option that appears click on the arrow pointing down and select “Browse” in the list that opens. Now you will look for the file you just created and open it.

Your plane now looks something like this.

Now all you need to do is put it in front of the Spotlight to achieve the shadow effect.

Keep in mind that this is just one way of doing it, you can put anything in front of the light and it will cast a shadow so you can get creative from there.

Every scene that I do, be it in my game or a random loose render, I use these concepts.
I hope that this was a comprehensive way of looking at how I do it. You can literally achieve the look you want by following very simple concepts and adapting them to your own work.
Understanding that these are mere concepts and not rules will give you the freedom to adapt and change everything to suit your needs, you can add more points of lights to serve the same purpose or remove them completely to achieve something totally different.
You can make the lights stronger or softer, change their positions, and even totally get rid of one of those points of lights to shift the mood.
Play around with your camera in order to have a close up or a wider shot to show exactly what you want your audience to see.
Keep in mind that lighting is just one component of a good shot, understanding you framing and composition is what’s going to allow your images to pop.
Ultimately however you do your thing, play around and keep practicing is one step forward to learning something new.
Here are some videos I highly recommend checking out:

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
I actually read all that. I am impressed as hell. I dabbled with 3D modeling a number of years ago. I thought that was pretty difficult and tedious. This is next level. Oh, btw, my head hurts now. Jus' Sayin':cool:

• Red Heart
Reactions: CHAQUINN0

MaxRichard

Oct 7, 2023

ViperGts151 note Part 2
Example 3 – Using a Spotlight
(...)
I just wanted to say that in addition to this being a very interesting read, I appreciate you taking the time to post all of it in such nicely formatted fashion, with images and links and whatnot. I'm sure it took a lot of time so thank you, truly!

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

Hey, everyone! :)
I've been working on the business trip scenes all week and putting their assets together in DAZ. I'm not posing them yet, I'm just putting the assets and characters together and saving the file so I can start posing them later. For now, I want to focus on finishing writing these scenes while the PC is busy rendering.
The images from the first part of the chapter are still rendering, but more than half of the scenes are already done.
Some of you have asked about the “parts” of the chapter that I've mentioned a few times before. These are mainly how I separate the events, I used the same concept in the previous chapters as well.
Chapter 3 is divided into four different parts. The first is already finished, which ties together events from Chapter 2 and introduces new characters and antagonists. Currently, I'm working on the second part, which covers the entirety of the business trip events.
The third and fourth parts primarily focus on character development and plot-moving events (not going to spoil what happens there).
Development is now moving at a much faster pace, thankfully! :D
Have a great weekend, everyone!

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

I’ve finished writing the business trip scenes. However, there is a big chunk in the last part that I need to review now, as it is a VERY important section for Kim’s route. I need to check the code to ensure everything is working as intended.
Additionally, there is an optional sex scene within this business trip segment. While it is not as tricky to code as it is to pose, it’s something I will leave for last, just like all the other lewd animated scenes in the update.
There are just a few more images left in the render queue now. It should be all done by this weekend, just in time for me to start posing the newer scenes.
Have a great weekend, everyone! :D

WolverineCTX

Nov 5, 2023
Sorry if this was already asked by someone... Does the Dev offer some info about the DAZ Characters he use for his Game?!
I know not all do this but some offer these Information :cool:

soprano31

Engaged Member
Nov 12, 2021
we Need a Release Date Please
I want there be no difference between rich and poor,
equality for woman and men,world peace,
no racial hatred,no police violence,
no hate against lgbtq,no dictators in the world,
no more illegals in the world,everyone equal in the world.
no more animal violence,no more violence against woman and children,
better legal systems in the world,no more pollution in the world.

But yes,there is a difference demanding and getting,
the world is not perfect,so just be patient.
there are worse things in the world right now than waiting for a game.

4.40 star(s) 41 Votes