XenTheAnimator

Feb 19, 2018
Editing the save file doesn't seem to be allowed. So I cant edit my stats. An alright choice by the developer, but its not for me.

longjohngold

Jan 22, 2020
Not played in a while so dunno how recently it happened but it's a bit of a shame you've gotta get locked into paths now (I appreciate the heads up it gives you though)... I ultimately chose not to be locked into neither Rayne or Keira, as I'm more into Swansong (would love to find her true name and get to own her) that's prob the only one I'd commit to to the exclusion of others... but just as general flings I'm probably more interested in Silver or even the bartender than the girls at the college.

Stolen_rose

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2022
Editing the save file doesn't seem to be allowed. So I cant edit my stats. An alright choice by the developer, but its not for me.
Not something I had anything to do with. Maybe it's a Ren'Py version issue? Not sure how to help with that, but you can probably modify stats through console commands?

Not played in a while so dunno how recently it happened but it's a bit of a shame you've gotta get locked into paths now (I appreciate the heads up it gives you though)... I ultimately chose not to be locked into neither Rayne or Keira, as I'm more into Swansong (would love to find her true name and get to own her) that's prob the only one I'd commit to to the exclusion of others... but just as general flings I'm probably more interested in Silver or even the bartender than the girls at the college.
It's only for characters where it makes sense and that wouldn't have wanted something casual either way. I wanted some characters where you have time to actually be in the relationship and do couples stuff, but the rest aren't like that, so you can pursue whatever type of relationship dynamic you like.

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
It did feel a bit early to me as a player who wants to get to know all the characters well before making a final choice, but I think we can justify it story-wise because the path locking happens at such an emotional moment for Caleb. He was entering a situation he genuinely thought he might not survive. It's totally understandable he'd want to hold someone he cares for close at that moment and let himself dream of a future with that person if he did manage to stay alive. I'd say it was analogous to a soldier making a declaration of love or proposing marriage right before getting shipped out to war.

The emotions of the moment got to me so much that I even screwed up one of my playthroughs. I was doing (OK, trying to do) a Caleb of easy virtue Aphrodite run. My boy had already hooked up with Rayne, Brianna, Odette, and Swansong so when the time came where he was pushed to make any sort of commitment or things threatened to get a little too serious I always figured he would head running for the hills. Somehow that didn't happen and I ended up with another Rayne-locked playthrough instead. Welp, I guess I'll have to do another Aphrodite run but leave Rayne out of it this time.

While I like that there are paths, I don't love the idea of being "locked" to a path necessarily. I want there to be ways for Caleb to screw things up along the way or perhaps end up with someone different than who he originally fell for. That would just make the branching potentially even more insane, though.

Reactions: bacienvu88

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
That would be really cool. How'd you do it?
Got most of it here and fixed it to apply the setting to current image as well

1. add a persistent variable with the brightness value (default is 0)
Code:
default persistent.brightness = 0.0
2. make an ATL transform that uses that variable to change the brightness
Code:
transform graphicssettings:
    matrixcolor BrightnessMatrix((persistent.brightness))
3. in preferences screen, add a slider that changes the value. you might want to reduce the range a bit because it's way too easy to get way too close to full black (-1.0) or full white (+1.0). RestartStatement() is important to make the game roll back and roll forward to reapply the settings once you change them. Without it you won't see the changes until the image changes. And added a reset button because I haven't figured out how to make the default slider position more obvious
Code:
vbox:
    label _("Brightness")
    bar value FieldValue(persistent, "brightness", range=2.0, offset=-1, style="slider", action=RestartStatement())

textbutton _("Reset"):
        action [SetField(persistent, "brightness", 0.0), RestartStatement()]
4. replace default showing mechanism to apply the graphicssettings transform from 2. to every image you're showing because without it you'd have to write scene xxxxx at graphicssettings every time
Code:
init python:
    def myShow( *args, **kwargs ):
        if not "at" in kwargs:
            kwargs["at_list"] = []
        kwargs["at_list"].append( graphicssettings )
        renpy.show( *args, **kwargs )

config.show = myShow

Stolen_rose

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2022
Got most of it here and fixed it to apply the setting to current image as well

1. add a persistent variable with the brightness value (default is 0)
Code:
default persistent.brightness = 0.0
2. make an ATL transform that uses that variable to change the brightness
Code:
transform graphicssettings:
    matrixcolor BrightnessMatrix((persistent.brightness))
3. in preferences screen, add a slider that changes the value. you might want to reduce the range a bit because it's way too easy to get way too close to full black (-1.0) or full white (+1.0). RestartStatement() is important to make the game roll back and roll forward to reapply the settings once you change them. Without it you won't see the changes until the image changes. And added a reset button because I haven't figured out how to make the default slider position more obvious
Code:
vbox:
    label _("Brightness")
    bar value FieldValue(persistent, "brightness", range=2.0, offset=-1, style="slider", action=RestartStatement())

textbutton _("Reset"):
        action [SetField(persistent, "brightness", 0.0), RestartStatement()]
4. replace default showing mechanism to apply the graphicssettings transform from 2. to every image you're showing because without it you'd have to write scene xxxxx at graphicssettings every time
Code:
init python:
    def myShow( *args, **kwargs ):
        if not "at" in kwargs:
            kwargs["at_list"] = []
        kwargs["at_list"].append( graphicssettings )
        renpy.show( *args, **kwargs )

config.show = myShow
Woah, that's amazing. And I understand some of it :LOL: Thanks a lot! How would you like to be credited?

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
Woah, that's amazing. And I understand some of it :LOL: Thanks a lot! How would you like to be credited?
one thing before you add it that I noticed last night. it works weird during rollback, for some reason on some images it uses the old brightness setting and I have no idea if it's fixable

here, I start with the setting being too bright, change it to normal after some dialogue, and when I roll back to the start one of the images is still too bright until I start clicking through dialogue again
View attachment 2023-10-23 12-13-56.mp4

if you still want to use it and decide to credit me, my name is the same here or on Discord (I should probably join yours). use a smaller font size because it's way too long

Stolen_rose

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2022
one thing before you add it that I noticed last night. it works weird during rollback, for some reason on some images it uses the old brightness setting and I have no idea if it's fixable

here, I start with the setting being too bright, change it to normal after some dialogue, and when I roll back to the start one of the images is still too bright until I start clicking through dialogue again
View attachment 3026929

if you still want to use it and decide to credit me, my name is the same here or on Discord (I should probably join yours). use a smaller font size because it's way too long
Might be from the rollback itself, but it seems like somewhat of an edge case. Guess I'll have to see how prevalent it is in practice. Thanks a lot though!

• Red Heart
Reactions: crabsinthekitchen

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
You could, in addition, mimic the cats eye spell from The Witcher, like in your signature:
1698152175197.png
Focused fiery illumination focusing on the desired person to illuminate any secrets there.
Might be from the rollback itself, but it seems like somewhat of an edge case. Guess I'll have to see how prevalent it is in practice. Thanks a lot though!
Possible results:
1698152371579.png
or
1698152451844.png

Would the Luna Order not favor highlighting or seeing or reading symbols in the dark,
with the help of the moon goddess?

Last edited:

Stolen_rose

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2022
You could, in addition, mimic the cats eye spell from The Witcher, like in your signature:
View attachment 3029933
Focused fiery illumination focusing on the desired person to illuminate any secrets there.

Possible results:
View attachment 3029938
or
View attachment 3029939

Would the Luna Order not favor highlighting or seeing or reading symbols in the dark,
with the help of the moon goddess?
I mean I already have the concept of using the inner sight (magesight?) to look at things, and I considered it as a feature for the infiltration, but it would have increased the development time too much. Additionally, I don't think I should add things that increase the complexity. It's just me, and I have limited time to spend on the development of the game as it is.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
Here is a rather rash simplification, but what if you had a second render whenever MC uses
the sight or any spell and the second it is triggered, you just show that?
I mean I already have the concept of using the inner sight
The illumination toggle from crabsinthekitchen could be the way to go:
you do not need more renders, just use that as a 5-10 second toggle,
how much the ability could last, then make some dialogue where MC figures everything out:
by now we are very well aware MC is such a sniveling liar that he makes Marie look like The Virgin Mary.
Additionally, I don't think I should add things that increase the complexity.
MC has these abilities the story simply disreguards up until now.
We are not so sure all those potions during that
Hounted Swamp House McGuffin hunt Free Roam
did anything to nudge MC or the plot anywhere into,
over or outta Invictus grabby voice.

4.90 star(s) 40 Votes