VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 37 Votes

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, i wouldn't trust Medb yet, certainly not with my life.
That being said, so far she was truthful, bad tempered and rude but truthful...the same can't be said about either Kajia and even less from the parents, neither would i trust the templars, at all.
So, i'd say Medb has by far the best chances to earn trust among the ones mentioned above.
I mean, maybe? We haven't caught Medb in a lie, but then again, so far we have absolutely no way to verify any of the few things she's told us. I'm inclined to agree she's probably being honest, but that's mostly me metagaming. We'll have to get some independent confirmation of what Medb says before I'd consider her truthful.

That is the thing though, Vulvamort is the worst maybe but remember the talk, she thought she was right, she did the right thing. She probably had terrible childhood because of the family. Steph also the same, she stuck between the duty because of her father and MC because of her love. So that is my point, even if what they did varies they all thought they were doing the right thing expense of their respective MCs.
So being remorseful, having reasons for doing it etc. none of them matters, the damage is done. No redemption for any of them.
I completely disagree. The ends don't justify the means, but they do matter.

Sure, Cassandra has her reasons, namely: it's a dog eat dog world and trust is for suckers. Even if I found those justifications acceptable - which I do not! - they still set up a zero sum game where her benefit comes directly at the cost of the MC. Him getting screwed wasn't a side-effect of her plan, it WAS the plan because the benefits she got were stolen directly from him.

That's completely different than the reasoning the MC's parents in The Neverwhere Tales used: that they could judge what was in the MC's best interest better than he could. I think they're dead wrong on that, but they aren't stealing from the MC simply for their own benefit. To act like Cassandra, they would have to do something like letting the MC get captured by the mercs just to get the Grand Master back.

Cassandra's actions aren't just worse in magnitude, they're a fundamental difference in kind. None of which makes the MC's parents in this game any more palatable, but they aren't anywhere near Cassandra.

Lastly, I must again disagree with the idea that they're all beyond redemption. By definition redemption is only possible for people who have sinned in the first place, so it's possible for both Cassandra and the MC's parent's in this game. That doesn't mean we need to forgive them, and I'm certainly not putting any money on Cassandra pulling it off, but it could happen *if* they genuinely regret their actions and decide to mend their ways.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
ch5_preview_51.png

Hey everyone,

Lots of work this week with kinda slow progress. At least number-wise.
The reason is simple: I need to set up all environments for the coming scenes.
While the first half of Chapter 5 used environments I already had set up (except for one), the second half is all new environments.
So I spent pretty much the whole Wednesday and Thursday setting up 2 big environments. At least one of them will come in again later in this Chapter.
The other one gave me more headaches because it exceeded 24 GB VRAM.
Some DAZ vendors seem to think everything needs to have 8k textures. Even vases... 5 maps per vase...
So I spent half a day editing textures to make them 4k and, oh wonder, you don't see a difference. I swear, DAZ has zero quality control.

In general, the numbers for the coming weeks will probably be a bit lower than the past several weeks because of the whole environment topic.
Thinking about the planned scene for the end of the Chapter, I'm already getting headaches...

So the numbers for this week:
69 new static renders for a total of 1225
0 new animations
163 new lines in the script file for a total of 3279

Next week's work will mostly focus on rendering and writing. And setting up environments, but those will be easier to set up at least.

Have a nice weekend, guys.

Cheers,
Ceolag

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
View attachment 3532917

Hey everyone,

While the first half of Chapter 5 used environments I already had set up (except for one), the second half is all new environments.
So I spent pretty much the whole Wednesday and Thursday setting up 2 big environments. At least one of them will come in again later in this Chapter.
Some DAZ vendors seem to think everything needs to have 8k textures. Even vases... 5 maps per vase...
So I spent half a day editing textures to make them 4k and, oh wonder, you don't see a difference. I swear, DAZ has zero quality control.

In general, the numbers for the coming weeks will probably be a bit lower than the past several weeks because of the whole environment topic.
Thinking about the planned scene for the end of the Chapter, I'm already getting headaches...

0 new animations

Next week's work will mostly focus on rendering and writing. And setting up environments, but those will be easier to set up at least.

Cheers,
Ceolag
We're back to regulation length weeks, so Ceolag already covered the basics. Overall, he is now averaging roughly 85 static renders, 2.4 animations, and 227 lines per week since work on Chapter 5 officially began. Here are the charts:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Our rate has indeed slowed a bit as we enter elvish environs. Hopefully the setup won't be too bad, but it's certainly an exciting prospect and I don't mind spending some time to get the look right. I'd never really thought about how texture mapping on individual assets might affect rendering before, though it makes sense in retrospect.

That said, I'm not sure I like the blue highlights shown in one of the preview images. It just seems too 'modern.'
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I appreciate that the options are limited by the available assets, and there are plenty of valid reasons elves might adopt a blue lighting scheme that are entirely independent of the ubiquitous LEDs we're used to seeing. But the game has gone a long way to underscore how alien elvish culture is to us in the mundane world; anything that evokes normalcy in their aesthetics winds up working against that. Hopefully the preview is just an isolated issue and the problem will be mitigated in the final product. Things like incorporating a blue motif to other, distinctly alien, parts of elvish design might make this one instance a lot less jarring when seen in context.

Anyway, sorry to play backseat set designer, it was just something that struck me from the preview and I figured it was better to speak now. I'm still looking forward to visiting alfheim no matter how trendy it winds up looking. :)

Leongen43

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2022
View attachment 3532917

Hey everyone,

0 new animations

Cheers,
Concerto
Great job so far, I hope to know more about the elves and the beautiful Medb, it seems that the MC has a lot to learn from her and still be able to see her beautiful body, right?:unsure: :love:
1712934638962.png

4.40 star(s) 37 Votes