3D-LOAD.NET ... Down??

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
cpu always hit 100%, i don't know why...
I'm sure that you can have a better view of the stats. Even with a server at full charge, it's not this common that the CPU end at 100% before the net (not the bandwidth but the number of slots) ; or at least it wasn't back in my times. So...
There's little to none reason for the HTTP server to be the cause of this. Especially nginx that's designed do keep its usage relatively low.
Same for the SQL server. Unless you limited its memory usage, the RAM should normally be impacted before the CPU.
It can be the CPU itself if its dying, but you should have seen other signs than just a 100% usage.
This let the scripts. And the only reason I see right now for such CPU use is an endless loop somewhere.
Or the whole server have been compromised, and you've a parasite process. But even if it's a crappy wrote things, the net usage should reach its limit before the CPU, since the goal stay to spread itself or turn the server as ghost host in a botnet.

I remember that I installed one PHP extension called "memcached", and it worked very well, but I can't get it work anymore...
There's no reason for this unless you changed something. Personally I would try to solve this issue first. Whatever make it impossible to works have chance to be the cause of the whole problem. And even if it's not the cause, it would revert the whole server to a familiar configuration, which is always better.

Reactions: PixelRepublic

Anon951

Jul 26, 2019
If it's Wordpress, it does require more resources than a regular site. While it can be a hog sometimes, I have based my career on it, and it can be beaten into submission. Putting in place a good cache framework (WP Rocket, WP Super Cache, WP Total Cache) and optimizing the code you're using, can have huge benefits.

However, if you're working with a 3rd party theme. They're designed for a whole bunch of purposes, not just yours. So you'll have a lot of bulk there, that you just don't need. Consider hiring or taking on a developer that can produce something lightweight that is catered to your needs.

EDIT: In saying all that, your available resources are something to look at. Depending on your traffic levels, you may just need to increase it. Wordpress does require a lot of process power and I generally run WP sites with at least 4GB of ram for standard sites. Also, your choice of host can play a factor in it. I, of course, no nothing about your host, however, some offer lower prices because it's lower quality. You get what you pay for.
yeah, I installed a good cache plugin, but as you can see in the last few days it was slow, I have 8 gb of RAM and 4 core CPU, and i didn't have any technical issue during these months... after installing Memcached.

PixelRepublic

Donor
Jun 4, 2017
yeah, I installed a good cache plugin, but as you can see in the last few days it was slow, I have 8 gb of RAM and 4 core CPU, and i didn't have any technical issue during these months... after installing Memcached.
That is very strange. I've never seen a WP site being slow with that amount of resources. I can only think that maybe it's the problem of the host/hardware. You could try to shop around for another host.

I would love to be able to help more. But honestly, I couldn't offer much more advice beyond that from the outside. It's just guesswork.

If you know of anyone with any professional knowledge or Wordpress, that you can trust. I would reach out to them. Or if you have the funds, reach out to a developer to at least do an educated audit of the site and server. That would at least give you some information and steps that you could take yourself.

Especially nginx that's designed do keep its usage relatively low.
Could be apache. But your point still stands... to an extent, if that is the case.

Same for the SQL server. Unless you limited its memory usage, the RAM should normally be impacted before the CPU.
Not with 8gm. I've never seen it on well established, heavily used sites with just 4gb.

I would have thought that he would/could have reached out to hosting support. They would have spotted anything insane that was going on.

If that's not the case, you should reach out to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Not with 8gm. I've never seen it on well established, heavily used sites with just 4gb.
The default to be out of this kind of works since too long. Back in my days, having 4GB for your server was near to a luxury ;)
This said, as long as I remember, if the SQL server make an excessive use of the CPU, it's the fault of the table design. Which mean that it should have happened a long time ago and not appear suddenly. Especially since I assume that, Anon951 trying to fix it since more than one day now, it happen even with a global charge near to 0 due to the absence of visitors on the site. The SQL server sending the CPU up to 100% just by performing the few requests for one page seem really odd and unlikely to happen suddenly.

PixelRepublic

Donor
Jun 4, 2017
The default to be out of this kind of works since too long. Back in my days, having 4GB for your server was near to a luxury ;)
This said, as long as I remember, if the SQL server make an excessive use of the CPU, it's the fault of the table design. Which mean that it should have happened a long time ago and not appear suddenly. Especially since I assume that, Anon951 trying to fix it since more than one day now, it happen even with a global charge near to 0 due to the absence of visitors on the site. The SQL server sending the CPU up to 100% just by performing the few requests for one page seem really odd and unlikely to happen suddenly.
The servers that I've been running WP site's on these days just happen to have 12 cores / 24 threads @ 1.90GHz (more than is needed), running Apache & MySQL. I've gone with them mainly for their higher RAM allowance for lower prices. But even looking at one server right now, it's at 1.274% CPU usage. The ram, while 8GB is only 17.4% usage, and traffic is high right now.

Zero issues.

EDIT: I should clarify, there are 4 WP site's on that server. 1 is a shop, 1 is just a news/magazine site,1 is a simple company site, and 1 is a gaming community site (which is the most complex and demanding of all).

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
But even looking at one server right now, it's at 1.274% CPU usage. The ram, while 8GM is only 17.4% usage, and traffic is high right now.

Zero issues.
Which let with a configuration problem (that can explain the memcached issue) or something buggy in the scripts.

Hmm, perviously I talked about a malicious process... All times, there where attempt to directly compromise the scripts. And more than once, there were an exploit that achieved to do it. Could it be an attempt to DoS the site by adding an endless loop somewhere ?
It's just a blind guess, but it could also explain the said memcached issue. An exploit to access to the configuration and change it, to permit the second exploit to access the scripts. Then, the configuration being left like this, memcached don't works anymore.

PixelRepublic

Donor
Jun 4, 2017
Which let with a configuration problem (that can explain the memcached issue) or something buggy in the scripts.

Hmm, perviously I talked about a malicious process... All times, there where attempt to directly compromise the scripts. And more than once, there were an exploit that achieved to do it. Could it be an attempt to DoS the site by adding an endless loop somewhere ?
It's just a blind guess, but it could also explain the said memcached issue. An exploit to access to the configuration and change it, to permit the second exploit to access the scripts. Then, the configuration being left like this, memcached don't works anymore.
That is a possibility. But, you saying that, reminded me of a client, I developed for. They had an in-house server engineer. I can't remember the specifics of the issue, but it resulted in a spammer exploiting the server as a proxy. And I remember it taking them a long time to resolve, if I remember correctly, it delayed my work by maybe 3-4 weeks.

But, I think you're onto something. Again, he should be reaching out to his hosting support team. They could identify it, and deal with it.

Anon951

Jul 26, 2019

I don't think so, yeah, I heard about an exploit of memcached, but my problem was different , I simply messed up the server attempting to update PHP... :LOL:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I simply messed up the server attempting to update PHP... :LOL:

You should use a at home and replicate your server ; the soft only obviously, unless it prevent you to have the exact same configuration on both.
This way, when you have to do things like that, you clone the virtualbox, and do it first on something that don't matter, keep note of every step you make. If you fail for a reason or another, it's not a problem, the site is still running smoothly, you just need to start again with a new fresh clone. Then, when it works correctly, just do the exact same steps on the online server.
You will probably not reach the exact same state, it's magic, doing the exact same things rarely lead you to the exact same state, but at least the biggest problems would have been already resolved.

Timster123456

Jul 27, 2019
Anon951 i would love to help you. I run a hosting site on the side and work at one of the largest website companies in the world in my day job. I'm very familiar with the kinds of issues you're facing.

Would love to support you because I use your site regularly for my hobby. if you like, send me a message.

Timster123456

Jul 27, 2019
For other members of this forum, I can confirm, it was up and running for a few hours yesterday, index worked, attributes worked, and image cache was loaded. But then it went down again. I wish I could help, I know exactly how to troubleshoot and fix this stuff.

Anon951

Jul 26, 2019
Anon951 i would love to help you. I run a hosting site on the side and work at one of the largest website companies in the world in my day job. I'm very familiar with the kinds of issues you're facing.

Would love to support you because I use your site regularly for my hobby. if you like, send me a message.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Maybe I solved, yeah, the website worked fine, but it can't let me in, It showed "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page" I tried to reset password through phpmyadmin,to change PHP version, to disable some plugin etc... So I decided to reinstall everything, I hope to solved it...

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Its working... now! Thanks for your efforts.

Like Joni Mitchell said

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got -Till it's gone

You don't have to go all "monthly Patreon" on us... but I wouldn't mind making a one time donation... to help keep the lights on.

Timster123456

Jul 27, 2019
You don't have to go all "monthly Patreon" on us... but I wouldn't mind making a one time donation... to help keep the lights on.
Monetizing a site that deals in illegal content distribution is a huge pain in the a$$. You can't just go charge a fee, because the transactions will trace the owner and then they'll get sued.

There are workarounds. If Anon951 wants to know, they can send me a message.

Jul 28, 2019
Very glad to see that the site owner is working on getting the site back up; I went into panic mode when it went down.

Currently getting a test page:
This page is used to test the proper operation of the Apache HTTP server after it has been installed. If you can read this page it means that this site is working properly. This server is powered by CentOS.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Is anyone else having problems with the search function on 3d-Load.net? It used to work like a charm prior to the site issues but now I'm getting zero results.