3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

kira123

May 27, 2017
Hey sorry for my newbie question, can i use DAZ 4.1 content in the DAZ 4.5? because almost everything in the asset release from this site says that it is for 4.1

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Hey sorry for my newbie question, can i use DAZ 4.1 content in the DAZ 4.5? because almost everything in the asset release from this site says that it is for 4.1
Once the version of Daz is higher then the version which is required you should be able to use the content.

Reactions: kira123

kira123

May 27, 2017
I dont know if it's appropriate to ask this but what sites (probably pirate sites) which can give us other daz content for free?

Part

Donor
Nov 14, 2016
I'm using a tip to do renders when I'm sleeping (or working) :

I am using a free french soft "Super Macro" ( ) .
I open several windows of DAZ3D (3 or 4), and I'm using this soft to move and click to do a new render every 3 hours. So, it's working during the night and when I woke up, I have 3 or 4 fresh renders :)

And you ? Do you use tips like this ? Or others ?

(Don't know if I can post this here)

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Once the version of Daz is higher then the version which is required you should be able to use the content.
Edit: In additiom to my post - there may be at least one Daz script which was said is not working with the latest Daz versions. Probably there weren't many sales and the maker just abandoned it. But this is just script; the content itself should work flawlessly.

EJW

Jul 13, 2018
I can't play certain games it says I don't have the right software. I'm new to this. So can anybody help? I can extract the games but can't play them.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
I can't play certain games it says I don't have the right software. I'm new to this. So can anybody help? I can extract the games but can't play them.
You don't need Daz (or any other 3D software) to play any game made using it. So this is not the correct place to look for help.

Also, you should provide examples so we understand what it is you are trying to play.

Post your questions here:

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Most of the games uses game engines packs for example RPGVXAce_RTP100 (just an example). You need to have them installed before starting the game. Search at certain places:) for "RPGVX" and you probably will be able to find all such packs in one place.

EJW

Jul 13, 2018
Thank you Boogie. Sorry for posting in wrong area. Thank you Lednah for your advice. Will look into it.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
What can I do with the templates in Daz3d? Where should I put them? Also can I install a zip that isn't named something like - IM1234567?
They are just for possible later use of you decide to make changes into the models. If you are not lazy you can make a folder for them and store them there. I did this in the beginning but after a while I stopped gathering them. But again as I am a Blender guy I have no problem to make my own templates in Blender. On the other hand if you cannot make your own "templates" you probably will not know how to use them. So the rule of thumb - if you just use the Daz stuff "as it is" you probably will never need them.

As for the installing archives which are not fitted for auto-install check the beginning of the forum - there is an explanation there how to install them.

Reactions: Paranormal erection

DuckHunter

Aug 26, 2018
Hi, Thank you for making this thread because I want to begin but I don't know how.

So I have a question with is easer to learn/more flexible
Daz3d or Honey select studio, and sorry if this a dump question but it's really my first time in this.

Thank you.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Hi, Thank you for making this thread because I want to begin but I don't know how.

So I have a question with is easer to learn/more flexible
Daz3d or Honey select studio, and sorry if this a dump question but it's really my first time in this.

Thank you.
The modus operandi of Daz is to offer thousands of models, clothing, props etc so you can buy them and compose your own scenes for rendering. Daz is not a modeling software and from what I read on their forum Poser is better for animations. On the other hand from what I understood (not sure because I never ever used it), Honey select studio is more game making oriented. So if you decide to make 3D games Daz probably will not be the best choice - but you can use their stuff to make 3D games on another program. Also you should know if you go for 3D games Daz charge more $$$ for interactive licenses - but if you make games from rendered animations those licenses are not required.

Reactions: DuckHunter

DuckHunter

Aug 26, 2018
, Thank you for the fast replay and clearing things for me.

I'm going to make a VN style of game using unity since I'm familiar with it, my idea of it is just using Daz or HSS for modeling and some small animation if possible since I want to make my main focus on unity and the programing aspect.

So the faster the learning curve for the program used in modeling the better for me to focus on the engine and time management.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
, Thank you for the fast replay and clearing things for me.

I'm going to make a VN style of game using unity since I'm familiar with it, my idea of it is just using Daz or HSS for modeling and some small animation if possible since I want to make my main focus on unity and the programing aspect.

So the faster the learning curve for the program used in modeling the better for me to focus on the engine and time management.
I am frustrated what you understand as "modeling". Daz offers for free Hexagon - a should be modeling software, but I doubt anyone uses it as a main modeling software. Daz itself is not a modeling software - you can use the models from it (people, clothing, props) and import them in some game making software (but beware of the the licenses). As modeling I understand making "something" from scratch or modifying already existing items outside the boundaries which Daz products offer by default. The Daz product are divided in 2 main categories - props and everything else (not considering such things as lights, camera, shaders etc). The props are models which are supposed to be used "as it is" - for example furniture. The non-props products can be "morphed" in some boundaries - this means the user can change them more or less using the built it sliders. For example you get basic female body - using the corresponding morph sliders you can make it higher, fatter, having bigger boobs etc. And you usually have some choice of textures too. And you can export those items to unity too using several standard export/import formats. But again - not everything from the daz models can be exported flawlessly. A brief search in youtube gives a lot of tutorials on this topic so you maybe can take a look there too.

Reactions: DuckHunter

DuckHunter

Aug 26, 2018
Thank you sooo much, that's a ton of useful information.

Going to look into the tutorial right now, again thanks alot

qvrvrqv

Jul 20, 2018
Hello there,
are skin materials absolutely essential in DAZ (iray)? I made some test renders, and most of the times the default skin without applying any kind of skin material just looks better then using it. Also, using skin materials often messes up other things like male genetaliea because the skin material doesnt apply there.

Can someone explain some of the skin basics? How do I make the skin look good / realistic?

Thanks.

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Hello there,
are skin materials absolutely essential in DAZ (iray)? I made some test renders, and most of the times the default skin without applying any kind of skin material just looks better then using it. Also, using skin materials often messes up other things like male genetaliea because the skin material doesnt apply there.

Can someone explain some of the skin basics? How do I make the skin look good / realistic?

Thanks.
What exactly you mean as "skin material"? Basically the artists which sell human models through Daz make their own skin textures for their model AND there are the skin textures for the basic genesis models. Most of the time, if the models are not too different, you can use skin textures from another models for your preferred model, so which skin textures exactly you will choose, is entirely up to you. Upon those skin textures are applied so called "shaders" which change the way the textures are rendered. The shaders are models-tied but this doesn't mean you cannot adjust them or use another shaders at all (Daz offer shaders bundles which make this easier). About the genitals - only the models bundles, which are marked as "PRO" and *are not* teens or kids, come with genital textures. This way you either need to apply *all* the skin textures from a PRO bundle OR use 3rd party genitals, which apply their own scripts to generate genital textures from the already applied model skin textures. And keep in mind not all models marked as *HD* are supported by 3rd party genitals suppliers.
If I understood your question correctly this will answer to it.

Reactions: qvrvrqv and Boogie

Evic

May 25, 2018

Thanks.
To expand on @Lednah's answer and address this part specifically- "Realistic" looking skin is a function of a few things, primarily these are:

1. The base model (mesh resolution, subdivision)

2. The skin material resolution and details, for example, don't use the skin from "the girl" or another cartoon character :)

3. The shader(s) on the skin surface (look up some tutorials on Daz3d SSS or sub surface scattering for advanced tweaking)

4. The scene lighting which can drastically alter the look of the final result

You can get very good result even with the base G3/G8 models and their default materials. Some products like "Altern8" help you adjust the shaders used on the skin surface with presets but they aren't required and you can achieve those results without any additional products but it will take time.

My workflow is to first shape, dress and pose the character, then build the scene, then fit the pose to the scene if needed (for leaning against objects, etc) then light the scene. Once I'm happy with that I go in and select and/or tweak the materials and shaders within the scene if needed. To start, just setup a scene and play around with the different materials you have to see which look good. Some will look good close up and bad at a distance, or vice versa, so be prepared. :)

Almost all G3 & G8 skins can be applied to any G3/G8 character since they use the same UV map so feel free to mix and match. The DAZ genitals require their own material which many custom skins include.

Reactions: yxes1 and qvrvrqv
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote