Unity - A Long Journey [v0.8.1] [Marvellous Lunatic]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Jericho85

I'll start out with something I do like about this VN. The space colony idea is neat, the body figures for Selene and Pia are some much needed eye candy for this VN, and the render quality is above average. The sex scenes (the few that there are) are intimate and personal with custom animations which makes them hotter than the typical AVN romps, IMO.

That's about as far as I can go with things that I like about the VN. My first criticism is that this is an AVN that doesn't know whether it's a sandbox or a kinetic novel. It has free roams, time management, and yet unused character stats just like a sandbox, but most of it serves no purpose. The narrative and character interactions are almost all lengthy linear scenes with nearly no choices.

So whether you're more a fan of sandboxes or more a fan of kinetic novels (like myself), Neither will be satisfied as of this version (0.8.1). Sandbox fans will find the lack of choices and mechanics disappointing, and KN fans will find the freeroams and time-sensitive events to be unnecessary tedium.

Second major complaint I have is that the current story arc itself... (we'll call it the "Saboteur" arc) is preventing nearly all progress with character interactions and romance. All but one love interest in the story right now is inaccessible due to certain plot elements (which I'll explain further in spoiler tags). Because of this Saboteur arc, the vast majority of the game still feels like it's "on-hold" until the antagonists are taken care of.

This is allegedly planned to be a harem game, yet as of three years of development, the story is still stuck in this status quo where two antagonists are in full control, the protagonists have no working ideas, and the majority of the cast hasn't even been introduced yet. As a result the story feels stale and droning, like we're stuck waiting for the good part.

Supposedly, the next version is supposed to finally wrap up the saboteur arc. Hopefully the story will improve at that point. To that point though, there has been no foreshadowing for the next arc so we have no idea where the story is going to go after this.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

Mordikay

If you are heavily into edging this game is for you. As it takes an eternity for anything to happen. Sure the story might be okayish the first time around but you can hold the skip button, pull up your pants, go make tea, lunch, go outside for a smoke, come back and find nothing has really progressed in the game.

But yeah one thing that really irks me about this game is how lazy the dev is for absolutely no reason. Models and animation are honestly really great but for no reason at all the dev then decides like 60% of the scenes needs to have super bad stop motion moving a still imagine in MS paint....And in the same frigging scene. Like WHY? Why not just stick with the super good animations you already made instead of ruining over half the scene with ultra bad "animations"? I don't get the choice here.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

Axxis

The render are good. The story isn't so bad for the most part. If you don't like being in menu hell then don't even bother with this game. I finally couldn't take the menu's anymore and quit. It was the reason I quit Starfield after paying $70+ for it and there is no way I want to deal with it in a free game.
  4. 2.00 star(s)

moonshadow

As of 0.8.1:

Yikes, I dont think an update has had me yawn as much as this one. I had high hopes for this one, back in the earlier stages. Now it's just one step forward, and hopefully only one step back soon after, sometimes two steps back. And a lot, a loooooot of reading with barely any actual progress. The visuals are all pretty, but that aint saving this 'game'. Polish a turd, it's still a turd.

Still, this one might become something really good later on. But I'm with some others, I think from now on, I'll wait til this one is actually completed(if it ever will be). Considering the amount of time between updates as well, I see this one either getting canned at some point, or if it gets finished, it won't be before 2030. There's apparently several characters left to be actually introduced, and they're not even remotely close to being 'introduced' yet. An update per year, maybe 2 updates per year, with a story that (overall) doesnt really make any progress. And the only actual girl we get to hang out with, is just getting more and more unlikable per update.
    I've tried, I really honestly tried to like her, understand her situation etc. But nah, she's becoming more annoying instead of being even close to a "LI" in my book. MC is..I dunno, sometimes he's actually pretty good. When he's not busy being braindead and simping for the previously mentioned girl.

Those that still think this is a *great* game, well good for them. But I dont think this is a good 'game'. It's not a game to begin with, these are usually VNs, not games. But even this one feels more like a Kinectic Novel. Rarely any choices. The minigames that pops up now and then are just, I dunno, padding the run-time. And god I hope the "free-roam" wont ever be a huge part of the story. Its fine that it's something we can do after the actual story content is over. But dont make me run around on that ship, it's a effing maze and mess.

At the moment, I would say there's TWO good things about this "VN". The visuals are rather nice. And you can SKIP thru all the boring dialogues if you want.
    It's supposed to be exciting, and the classic "uh oh, how are they gonna get out of this situation". But it just falls flat most of the time, because everyone is a dick or a bitch, or selfish, or simping, and the million lines of dialogue just puts me to effing SLEEP.
    There's nothing 'hooking' me to this one, the story doesnt grab me, their 'predicament' is just...Zzzz.
    The girl we 'work' with is selfish, lying and has zero issues to do things behind the MC's back. And she then has the balls to think to herself that she doesn't know if SHE, can truly trust the MC. MC is probably the only honest-ish person in the entire game atm. I say at the moment, because again, it's shown that there's gonna be plenty more characters. But f-ck knows when they'll get introduced. This game has already been in development for quite some time, and we're still stuck with the same characters we met in the very first release. MC, the girl he runs around with, her sister who's basically a hostage by the two 'bad' men. Those are the characters. Meanwhile there's several other characters still in cryosleep. When the fudge are they gonna wake up? I'm getting really bored with the same boring events and dialogues.
    Two bad men forces the MC and the redhead to do this and that, "or else..". This repeats, every, fucking, day.

The first two or so updates of this game, I actually recommended this one to some people. Now this latest update just solidified what I feared, it's not really going anywhere. There's some *MINOR* progress, but that's literally *minor* after waiting over half a year for an update, and reading thru what feels like hours of dialogue and expositions that will put anyone to sleep. Hence why this game wont be completed for another 10yrs probably(not even trying to exaggarate here), but more likely being abandoned before then.
    My opinion as of update 0.8.1, dont bother with this one. Wait til it's completed. OR it suddenly gets some better writing and progression (aka check newer reviews if they mention the game getting better). Personally, I'll wait til it's completed in about a decade from now - if I'm still alive that is..and even remember this garbage of a VN.
    Dont be fooled by the pretty visuals, that's literally the only good thing about this VN. There's 'incest' possibility too, but nope, not even in this lifetime, as there's no family awake/alive in the game atm. There's a few of them in cryosleep, but as mentioned earlier, them waking up.,..ha. From what the game has shown so far, that wont happen for many, maaaany updates from now.

What about the sex and lewd stuff? Sure there's some. But about half of the FEW sex/lewd scenes there are, are either some fantasy, or memory of the past. There's perhaps 2 actual lewd scenes that's "in the present". Latest update, to give a minispoiler regarding lewdness, there's ONE sex scene, and it's a memory of whenever, in the past. Filling absolutely NO point or purpose more than "gotta have a lewd scene in the update". It's rather long lewd scene too, but also very very meaningless and pointless. That time could've been spent progressing the effing story instead. I personlly hate VN's that use dreams/fantasy/memory as a cheap way of throwing 'lewd scenes' at us. I dont give a flying fudge who the MC banged X amount of years ago. We're here, I care about the *now* and the future in this story. Why would I care or want to see him bang his old girlfriend or whatever, that's not even in the effing game (yet anyway) ? Again, just a cheap way to include lewd stuff so ppl dont whine about 'no sex, booh'.
    So latest update: more talking, talking, some more talking. million lines of dialogue. Minor progression in the story/plan. Which obviously get's thwarted. And towards the end, the 'mandatory' sex scene, that is so pointless and meaningless that you wonder if the dev himself forgot what or where to take this story.

Again, wait til it's completed, that is, if it ever gets completed.
    Perhaps this 'review' sounds very "aggro". In a way it is. Because I'm really reallly fed up with this "VN". It had EVERYTHING going for it early on, very promising, lots of potential, made me super excited. Now there's been a few updates in a row where we're basically still stomping on the same effing square we were in several updates ago. It's literally just reading and more reading, some pointless minigame now and then. And more often than not when there's a lewd scene, it's either just a fantasy, memory, or dream. So yeah, I'm upset. This game at the time of writing has WAY too high average rating.
    It's not a 5, and not a 1. It's definitely neither of those.
    But I gotta agree with others, this is a 2 or 3. There's nothing hooking you, other than early on, but you will also get bored eventually. The only girl we have to interact with and potentially 'bang', is getting more and more unlikable by the updates.

The game attempts to make you feel like stuff are happening, that things are about to go this or that way. But it's the same thing EVERY time. Nothing comes out of it, and/or it gets changed and you're back to square 1 again. Really, really boring game of one step forward, then back one step again.
    In short, skip this one, or at least wait MANY more updates, preferably wait til it's completed. But there's at the moment ZERO indication that this will get 'good'.
    You do you, but you've been warned. Do not play this if you even remotely tired, bcoz you WILL fall asleep.

"A long Journey" - indeed. could also be called "A boring Journey"
  5. 2.00 star(s)

"Download"

First minutes of interaction between mc and Selene and he already got scolded, slapped and called sissy. Every time they talk mc excuses, overexplain himself and unnecesary says sorry all the time. Selene just a rude bitch and I dont care about her predicament as excuse to behave herself like that towards mc. But he of course justify and simps to her like its a normal thing.

Another story writen by mental loser, no thank you. Visuals, UI and sound are good so 2 stars.
  6. 3.00 star(s)

Dreezky

There are a lot of good things to say about this game, like :
    - The renders, they're really good
    - The animations are great too
    - The story seems interesting (I didn't finish it, I'll tell you why later)
    - The interface is really nice too

Despite all this, I have a big problem with this "game". Apart from going to rooms, having maybe 2/3 choices and the same mini-game from time to time, it's just reading. This may please some people, but personally I get bored quickly when I just have to click and read.

It's a real shame, but try it anyway, maybe you'll like it.
  7. 3.00 star(s)

Michelangelo da Mouso

v0.7.4 - TLDR;
    • Pros: Great graphics, well-designed game, and nicely done characters and animations. Lots of content.
    • Cons: Dialogues and story are unnecessarily slow and boring for my taste. Free-roam adds nothing. A pain to read texts in such wide text-box (27'' screen). Zero story branching. Too much text, some adult scenes.
    • Conclusion: A very generous 3 star. Didn't hook me. After 2 hours, I won't keep playing it.

Full review on v0.7.4:

I was really surprised that, with such quality images, good looking interface, and a cool first impression, this game had so few reviews, likes, and especially, so few Patreons... then I started playing, and I began to understand why.

As a video game, and developed with Unity, it's incredible. It's on par with Ren'py. It's got features that greatly enhance the user experience, runs super smooth, and the graphic interface is really sleek.

And the graphics and renders are also well done, just like the erotic animations. There are even graphic details like breast deformation or when two characters kiss. Visually, it's top-notch.

However, after a couple of hours of gameplay, I have to say I don't think I'll replay or try new versions. While there are sex scenes, I didn't find them exciting at all.

Another thing that people seem to like, but I found weak, are the dialogues and how the story progresses. Honestly, 99% of it is just conversations between two teens, talking about their problems and stuff... and that's the problem for me. It's just so, so boring. Conversations get stuck on one idea, and you spend a lot of time reading dialogue that could really be summed up in two lines.

It's not just long or slow, it's insubstantial. A shame, because the story's plot, although we've seen it dozens of times, has potential.

Add to that the text box being super wide (like 85% of the screen?) and playing this game on a large monitor becomes a strain on the eyes.

Other things that were a drag for me include the free-roaming, which personally I think adds nothing to this game (except having to mouse over the whole screen to discover secrets, which you end up not even wanting to find). And I really missed having decision trees. Apart from choosing to spy or not, or ending a sex scene one way or another, the story just moves on without much interaction other than 'clicking' a million times to get the next line of text.

If you like reading for the sake of reading, and sci-fi, you'll like it. And again, the graphic interface and Unity functionalities are beautiful.

And Kudos to Marvellous Lunatic. Even if I did not like it, I admire what he has been able to create so far. There's so much attention to detail in this the design of this game... I wish I had this guy's coding skills and good taste.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

kyrlian

Most underrated game of f95zone; with beautiful renders and animations and a compelling sci-fi story, you will like it. I can't understand why some shitty anime/honey select regurgitation games get so hyped and this very well done, professional game with top notch art is so underrated.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Crazy mad 15

Gripping story. It's a rare case where the protagonist is relatable and competent. the love interests are realistic. In fact, most of the dialogue and story are realistic. Makes immersion possible and takes the game from an average eroge to something most would find surprisingly wanting more of.

Marvellous sex scenes with good models and lighting. Which is somewhat rare nowadays with only certain studios keeping to that level of quality. NTL being the ones that come to the forefront of my mind.

Has great potential. The story so far has not reached anywhere near it possibly could thats not to say its terrible right now either, just to emphasise just how far it could go.

Love the game.

I don't review much or even often, too lazy for it but just doing it in the hopes of others seeing the good ratings and trying it out. Cuz I know this will get most that play it hooked. All in hopes that with a larger player base, we will get either faster updates or more content per update.
  10. 2.00 star(s)

helplessj

As of 7.4

Ok I have played all the content till now and just have to give this a rating that actually makes sense. The MC is Smart with computers but dumb in every other aspect. The only LI is unlikable and since its the only LI its forced. This is a Kinetic Novel plus unnecessary sandbox where you walk around an empty ship where everything looks the same for the only purpose of finding pictures for the gallery which wouldn't be an issue if there weren't a butt ton of room that you have to go through and since it all looks the same easy to forget where you have been.

story -3 there are good parts and bad parts. over all its meh
    renders -4 the characters look great. probably best part of this.
    plot - 1 I know AVN's usually don't have the best plots but this one tries to setup an epic opera story and its just bad.
    MC - 2 We have an MC who isn't dumb when it maters but because story makes dumb choices or doesn't respond to situations with any logic
    LI - 2 our only Li currently only cares about herself and her sister. yeah she will fuck MC and pretend to be with him but will backstab him at any chance for herself or sister.
    Overall 2 there are some really good elements to this game but the bad heavily outweighs the good.
  11. 2.00 star(s)

DaveSAlan

As of v0.7.3

PROS

• Good concept
    • Nice looking backgrounds/sets
    • Decent animation

CONS

• Models are meh at best
    • The only LI(?) is unlikable & forced
    • No choices

CONCLUSION

It's a Kinetic Novel without being tagged as such. Seems to be all about the story, which is unfortunate as it's no where near interesting enough to justify the slow pace & lack of any choice.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

N0madS0uL

Great game so far.

The story is compelling, not terribly original but thats fine, simple concept with a lot of intrigue is good.

The dialogue is long and not superficial in any way, the characters feel real and fleshed out with emotion and the writer doesn't really take shortcuts with their story or the story in general. This however may not be for everyone but it shows a level of commitment and care from the developer.

The graphics and animations are really good and also not halfarsed at all, there is effort made in this too.

Overall I highly recommend this game, the effort the developer has made warrants community support. My only concern is that the dev seems to have a lot of plans for this game but so far has made very slow headway. The quality is without question but the commitment from paying Patreons could come into question with such slow progress.

Still, excellent so far and should be the bar we use for other developers of this genre.

EDIT: Just a recap and dropped it to a 4 star, I think after all this time playing and waiting on content etc, the game deserves 4 more than 5, id even go 4.5 but the honest truth is that the game takes way too long in terms of content, I mean actual scenes, more lewd and the time it takes for the tidbits of content.

When I say tidbits I mean the updates are good, the story is interesting, script is good, clever and you can see there is intellect and research behind it all. These things take time, but its not "a lot" its just mostly script, dialogue and nothing really happens. You can go several clicks in and have the same still there for ages and days later, so its mostly lines of script which is nice for story but not great for a VN on an adult site...if you catch my meaning.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

mannice431

An absolutely fantastic game, the visuals are what you can see from the screenshots (they're gorgeous) and the story is pretty emotional as well.

This is one of the few games where the love interest and the MC falling for each other actually seems to flow organically, it doesn't seem rushed at all.

The MC isn't a cunt or a loser and he's broadly sympathetic.

Highly recommend 5/5.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Loophoop

A Long Journey is a brilliant magnum opus amongst all these shitty games
    a visual novel with plot and belivable characters, good graohic and amazing animations
    good work DEV and continue in the same way
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Danarchist

Warning! This is a SLOWWW burn. I am primarily here for the story, so that is good for me, but it takes a while to get going.

Positives -
    Really good story so far. The characters have believable reasons to act the way they do and nothing feels forced.
    The renders are pretty good. The girls especially look different than the copy and paste a lot of games use.
    Sex scenes are well animated.

Negatives -
    A lot of people may not give this game enough of a chance due to the beginning being slow.
    I ran out of content!! (ok not actually a negative)

Overall I really enjoyed this game and will be keeping an eye. I can't wait to see where it goes.
  16. 2.00 star(s)

throweawayee

Renders look great but there is not much sex scenes yet and the map barely has anything in it. It's a pain in the ass to navigate. The rooms look too repetitive with only the signs over the doors to tell them apart. There is no real interactivity, apart from the mini-games.

Mindless clicking to progress the dialog, followed by getting lost in the map. You have to rely on the hint system to get to the next part to progress the story.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Bernys95

I like this games. The Render's are super clean, and the expressions convincing. The challenges offered to you to infiltrate the system is smart. Discovering new accesses is rewarding. The MC's dilemma is who doesn't know who to trust. He is working on a possible response. In this atmosphere, the rapprochement with Selene is inevitable.
  18. 2.00 star(s)

Awie_Bonanza

I do not know what is wrong with me, cause I tend to like generally liked content. and at the moment this is at 4.4.

Renders look decent. Women look like they have some sort of skin issues but whatever, its a game and could be a total banger.

But after breaking my left mouse button with about 10 thousand clicks I have found no game just a visual novel. There is an interface so i guess this is meant to be an intro, but goddamn if i have to read the old testament to get to a game, I rather play Big Brother again.

May revise later but writing so far could be used to torture people in a secret CIA prison.

(Again must get good later since its 4.4! on average but the intro lastign an eternity need to be skippable.)
  19. 2.00 star(s)

chthonic_goat_666

Gfx and anims mostly good, h-scenes ok, story and characters bad.

It's clearly inspired by the movie Passengers, which I disliked. Basically Space Titanic, attempts to make poorly executed romance clichés seem profound and unique through even more poorly executed sci-fi clichés.... but at least it had Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt and (borderline) competent, professional writers.

This game has a generic-ass freckled ginger bitch, a Dazbro protagonist and the edgy porno/anime version of Passengers' story. The ginger wakes you up because of loneliness and depression, then immediately gets angry at you for "not being her knight in shining armor" (paraphrasing actual dialogue). Who talks like that? Who even thinks like that?

And in true anime waifu form, she slaps the PC 5 seconds after meeting him for no reason before apologising and providing several lines of terrible prosaic exposition on why she is sad and angry.:rolleyes:

Protagonist mansplains networking 101 to waifu, instead of just saying "I can access the ship's network". In the era of interstellar voyages, women still lack basic technological aptitude.

The best way to establish sexual tension is to write down, in considerable detail, the hero's thoughts about waifu's sexy ass while crawling through an uncomfortable claustrophobic vent shaft.:HideThePain:

The PC is a rich kid and the waifu a street urchin from a dying earth where tens of billions of people live in multicultural hi-tech megalopolises ridden with pollution, crime and the extremes of wealth inequality (aka Blade Runner). They just happen to talk in the same featureless technical readout English. They also have the same nebulous, non-committal opinions on how shit be totally fucked up furreal. Really paints a vivid picture of a future dystopia, almost on the same level as reddit effortposts.

The waifu's parents were corporate hotshots who married for convenience, and had two children that they didn't really want but just kept around as trophies of a perfect relationship, then the corporation went bankrupt and they vanished, leaving the house, nannies, belongings and their kids behind, and were never heard from again....??? Not quite sure what happened there but they are by FAR the most interesting characters in this story!

Could go on, but won't. All the annoying, unbelievable plot contrivances of the movie are here except much worse and reinforced by the usual lineup of "story driven" pron gaem codswallop. The problem isn't that the writing is (obviously) worse compared to original, it's the sheer pointlessness of trying to make a fap game out of a beat-by-beat adaptation. Grab a gallery unlocker and see if you like the h-scenes, otherwise don't bother.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

PussyDelendaEst

Version: 0.5.5

Rating: 8/10

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this VN. It does a ton of things well and is visually stunning. The couple of problems I have however, drag the game down a lot. I think if I was being totally subjective I would rate it 7/10 but these are intentional choices by the developer so it is what it is.

Story takes place on a colonist space ship heading for new planet. MC wakes up early from cryo sleep and meets Selene, who also woke up from cryo early. As it goes on the mystery unravels and you learn more about the characters. It's a decent premise for sure. The characterization and relationship building with Selene is great and she's such a good/complex character although how the story reveals things does bother me.
    -
    I wish Selene's sister and the link with Johannes was revealed to us the player at a later time. I had a real problem making a connection with Selene until we got closer to the end. Until we know they have her sister, I didn't trust her obviously. Even though it's written really well and feels like a great natural romance between MC and Selene. I think it would have been better to learn about her involvement later, then we feel betrayed with the MC. Then you reveal her sister by way of the scenes with Selene and find out she is real.

There's very little in the way of player choice too. It's more of a kinetic novel which I know isn't preferable to most but once again, is the dev's choice. I would have even loved silly choices of things to do with Selene. Pick X food at canteen or Let Selene try your food (to reuse the render) just simple stuff like that to help bond with the characters.

We will have to see where the story goes before I can judge it properly but I do like the conflict with MC and Selene overall. There are "bad guys" revealed at some point and we will have to see what their true intentions are.

The music is atmospheric and pretty standard but nothing to complain about. Hopefully will be updated at a later date. A powerful vocal track in the pool scene with MC and Selene would have been great.

Renders are gorgeous and animations are very nearly top notch. The end animations with Pia... damn. The slight changes of facial expressions to convey emotion also need to be commended. I'd love inner dialogue for Selene.

Overall: It's actually a really fun VN for me. My earlier criticism regarding Selene however, did really pull me out of the story. I think the decision of how things are revealed tanks the ability to create a connection with the character (for me atleast). This picked up later on though as MC and Selene get closer and more mysteries are revealed to MC. I just hope it carries on positively and this isn't a theme going forward with how we the player, receive information about the plot. It can undermine a lot as we already know the information.

There's so much good here though that I recommend you try it despite my issues. Well crafted in so many aspects including Selene. She feels like such a real character and I look forward to how the romance with her will go on.