Ren'Py A Second Chance [v0.1.2 Alpha] [Mr.Aurora]

AnyName'llDo

Feb 12, 2018
Could use some editing for grammar mistakes, e.g. "should of," when it should be "should have". Content wise, fine beginning.

ScroxDieded

Nov 6, 2017
Yet another possibly good game.
There's so many nowadays but they always get frustrated/tired after a couple releases. So I'll hold on a little for now.

danforce

Jun 10, 2019
I'll believe it when i see it,untill then i dont get my hopes up to high,i've had my heart broken to many times waiting for a Kotor remake.
But they have the trailer out. Its official. Even a PC remake(will come out later). Just hope it does justice to the original.

AL.d

Sep 26, 2016
College game, generic name, kinda generic story (instead of waking from amnesia, you are doing so from...dying). I hope first impressions are wrong in this case...

But they have the trailer out. Its official. Even a PC remake(will come out later). Just hope it does justice to the original.
It most likely won't. Not a remaster but a remake from completely different studio (not that Bioware is the same anyway), which means they can easily make "adjustments" to make the original story more "current year". Won't be the first time.

Reactions: Samken

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
I saw a smurfette, so I disregarded the lack of the vaginal tag on this project. Good start, looking forward to when that tag is added along with the creampie and pregnancy tag!

RossoX

Jun 3, 2021
The leftmost girl on the banner... isn't that Marzia? You know pewdiepie's wife and all? because if it is that's a chad move from the dev we get to ntr pewdiepie :KEK:

DeUglyOne

Bite Me!
Donor
Sep 1, 2017
just how many Second Chance's are there in this forum ? if we count, this might be the eight chance or smt...
More like the 22nd...

So... he dies and ends up in school? He must have gone straight to Hell.
1.3GB for a 0.1 Alpha and a very confusing overview. Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Walter Victor

JGNeon

Feb 24, 2021
The story shows promise, but here's a few things you should take care of for the future development:
  • Proofread all text, make sure it fits grammatically, and eliminate spelling/capitalization/punctuation errors. If your grasp on English isn't that good, find someone who can do this for you (either a friend, or someone in the community). This person should also be able to help you with rephrasing some dialogue lines, if they seem too clunky/awkward (when it's not intended to be awkward, that is).
  • Like others have mentioned, consider renaming your game. The name IS a good one, but it's already too close to another game. Write down a bunch of alternative name suggestions, and search for each of them in the community threads to see if any game names pop up. It's easier to rename it now, this early in the game development, since save files might not be ready for this yet. Having a similar name to another game/story will only confuse your audience, and those who are fans of the other game will only be angry at you for "capitalizing" on that other game's popularity (even if it was unintentional).
  • Reduce your reliance on audio and music. I see that the music library you included contains 708 MB of data already (I unpacked the .rpa file to check this), which is a lot for just a demo or first version. Personally, I prefer muting all audio in preferences before I play, just so I sometimes can watch/listen to something else in the background. I did, however, play through this demo with audio, just to see how this went along, and so far in the story, it doesn't add that much. It's basically just mood music. While we're at it, I noticed that you had a "popup" in the top left corner showing the currently playing music track. This is unnecessary, and detracts from the game/story experience, especially if playing on mute. If you feel you "need" it, make sure you can also hide/disable it in Preferences.
  • Also on the note of music, stop forcing audio levels. I tried muting all audio earlier, but as soon as the story progressed to a point where a new music track was being played, the music level was set to 100%, which overrided my previously set preference. If you do this, you'll just annoy your audience.
  • Do something about repeatable conversation topics. Either hide previously selected/played conversation topics, or make sure any points awarded only happens on the first time it's selected. Noticable example: When talking to Hannah at the Café, asking her about her hobbies will award you a relation point with Hannah each time you select this dialogue option. Essentially, I could easily boost my relationship with Hannah to 100+ points just by re-selecting this dialogue topic endlessly. There are several methods to resolve this, either by removing the dialogue option once previously selected (which also has several ways to do using code), or by setting a flag to true that this option has already been played, and to only award points if this is the first time the option is selected. Feel free to look into the "menu set" or "menu arguments" part of the .
  • Don't rely too heavily on videos and video transitions between scenes. They tend to bloat the game experience. The startup videos were nice, but I'd probably drop the "Powered by Ren'py" logo in that startup sequence. This is information that could instead be put in an "About" section, along with a list of production credits, acknowledgements, and music/audio credits. People who've played other VNs already recognize a Ren'Py-powered game/story when they see one. Feel free to play a few other Ren'Py-powered games/VNs to see how other developers and authors have done this (go to "Latest Updates" in the top menu, and use the "game engine" filter on the side).
  • Be sure to have a general outline of your story and possible branches. You may already have this, but this goes for anyone who wants to make a game or VN. Basically, be fully aware of the backstory for each character, and where they could be heading in the course of your game/VN story - there's no need to flesh this out completely, but have keywords on hand as a general overview. I've seen a lot of games/VNs on here that don't seem to know what they're doing, and get hung up on making plot twists to keep the public interested, no matter what has been previously established. You should at the very least know or be aware of the general outline of the story, especially what has already happened in the past, either through gameplay, or through things that have been mentioned about the time before the story of your game/VN started (i.e. the time before the point where you "give control" to the player for the first time).
These are just a few things off the top of my head. In either case, I wish you luck on the future development of this one.

"CJ"

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 6, 2021
A Second Chance [0.1.1 Alpha] [Mr.Aurora] crunched

Original / Compressed Size PC: 694 MB / 146 MB - ASecondChance-0.1.1-pc-crunched.zip
Original / Compressed Size Mac: 660 MB / 112 MB - ASecondChance-0.1.1-mac-crunched.zip

Download (PC/Mac): - - MediaFire

(y)L O A D 'n' L I K E - If you L O A D it then L I K E it!(y) If not, like it anyway! (y) Thanks! ;)

This compression is unofficial and untested, use at your own risk.
Compressing process reduces quality and can break the game.

Tools: UnRen v0.91 (Sam@f95zone) - YAC v3.1c (hngg@f95zone) -

Last edited: