MetaMira

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2021
If the new build improves things I'll have a proper release on SubStar tomorrow (along with a general bug patch for PC users).
Oh week-ago Mira, you were so optimistic.

Anyways, I'm finally back with a much-improved build that should completely solve performance issues on Android. You can grab v0.30.4 from these links, or from the updated links on the .

The new "low performance" mode replaces the default 4096x4096 textures for more manageable 2048x2048 ones, reducing memory usage and solving the Android crash issue. On Android, low performance mode is enabled by default, on PC you can swap to it from the preferences menu. Starting low performance mode for the first time will take a moment as the 2048 texture set is rendered out and saved; future startups will be much faster.

If you want more detail on what the issue was and what my troubleshooting journey looked like, I've written a bug post-mortem as well. If you like nerdy stuff, it's a post for you!

Tomorrow I'll be starting work on v0.31, beginning with a patron focus poll!

otoboke

Nov 6, 2019
The new "low performance" mode replaces the default 4096x4096 textures for more manageable 2048x2048 ones
Isn't even 2048p is too much for renpy game? It's not Witcher or Skyrim, no one will stare at those textures thoroughly, no one even gonna notice. I didn't even know there is "textures" in 2d renpy games, isn't it just background and sprites?
Bro, your game have real performance issues, I played it on my old notebook and it crashed every 3-5 minutes, yeah it's old and have only 6gb of RAM, but it's first ever renpy game I saw that behaved like this. Even Insight of you worked pretty well, and there is pseudo(I guess it's pseudo) 3D and animations everywhere. And I'm not even talking about 0.30.x version of your game, crashes was on 0.29. While 0.30 felt wobbly even on my desktop with 16gb RAM.
You are just reducing the pool of potential players/enjoyers of your game. While no one ever will come to you and say "Nice game, I did especially like high-res textures, cause I hate to see pixelisation/quantization/dithering in my eroges when I'm playing them on my 4k display, good job dev!".

Overall, a good game, with kinda unique reverse point of view, a bit grindy though. (y)

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
While I don't disagree that performance issues suck, I believe you're thinking is a bit incorrect. Games like Insight of You are only showing you pictures/animations that are pre-rendered. This game is actually animating during gameplay, so it's inherently more performance intensive.

Easiest example to use is older Final Fantasy games. A lot of cutscenes look much better than gameplay because they're pre-rendered. All the game is doing is playing a movie, nothing else. During gameplay there's a lot more code being run, so it looks much worse.

Edit: Fuck, Final Fantasy 10 is over 20 years old, and now I made myself feel old. :confused:

Last edited:

Eze3d

Jan 24, 2020
Oh week-ago Mira, you were so optimistic.

finally back with a much-improved build that should completely solve performance issues on Android. You can grab v0.30.4 from these links, or from the updated links on the .

PC
Mac
Android

The new "low performance" mode replaces the default 4096x4096 textures for more manageable 2048x2048 ones, reducing memory usage and solving the Android crash issue. On Android, low performance mode is enabled by default, on PC you can swap to it from the preferences menu. Starting low performance mode for the first time will take a moment as the 2048 texture set is rendered out and saved; future startups will be much faster.

If you want more detail on what the issue was and what my troubleshooting journey looked like, I've written a bug post-mortem

Tomorrow I'll be starting work on v0.31, beginning with a patron focus poll!
[/CITA]

Hi Metamira, I just downloaded version 30.4
and this is happening to me, the same thing happened with the previous one
any solution? I have Windows 11
regards

Eze3d

Jan 24, 2020
regards

MetaMira

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2021
regards
Open up the menu, go to preferences, and select "Low Performance" mode. That should dramatically reduce the amount of ram being used.

Reactions: Eze3d

Eze3d

Jan 24, 2020
Open up the menu, go to preferences, and select "Low Performance" mode. That should dramatically reduce the amount of ram being used.
Thanks for the help, but now it looks really ugly
This is as far as my PC goes for this game. Greetings and good luck :D

4.10 star(s) 49 Votes