Fan Art A Wife And Mother Fan Art

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes

Kthulu_SFM

May 4, 2017
Hello! I was hoping for some scene with Larry on this update... so here is to my wish! :giggle:

I realized I should learn how to use post denoiser... the lights on this one killed me and my render times...:cautious:
Hope you can excuse the "grains"... :oops:

Will try to learn how to use so it does not happen next time!

UPDATE: I did not know that using the post denoiser was this easy haha... :giggle:
So I fixed the images and updated the post!
Hope you like it! :love:

Characters: Sophia and Larry (Morello's Brother)

"Reality imitates Imagination"

LarrysNight.png

No GUI:
LarrysNight.png

Last edited:

Kthulu_SFM

May 4, 2017
Annnd, thanks to my advance with the denoiser, I was able to save a render I did some time ago... I'm so happy! :D

it was the end of the series "Who is watching" and something in it was frying my PC, so I couldn't make it work AT THE TIME, but now... :devilish:

Characters: Sophia and Clarke(Janitor)

"Who is watching Final"

WhoIsWatchingFinal.jpg

No GUI:
WhoIsWatchingFinal.png

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
UPDATE: I did not know that using the post denoiser was this easy haha... :giggle:
So I fixed the images and updated the post!
Hope you like it! :love:
I use the denoiser on all the renders you see me post. I only have a GTX1050TI, a slow video card for doing these, I don't want to wait an hour or longer (probably longer). Instead, most of my renders you see on here, take between 5 to 7 mins, that's it! I done some full tests without denoiser, I done many tests with it for varying lengths of times and the quality I get is barely noticably different from one done without denoising that may take an hour or more. I mainly set two sections settings for my renders (all FHD 1080P renders, I tested with HD 720P and didn't see it worth while to use less than 1080P).

First my Denoiser settings (I set it to start using it on the first frame, this can help with some problems on cards with low memory and doesn't slow anything down at all, actually denoising seems faster in all my tests)...
Denoiser.jpg

...and lastly my Progressive Rendering settings. I set this up so that it will take a maximum of 10 mins to render (600 secs), I actually find that 5 mins (300 secs) is plenty, but for some scenes I may need a little longer to get the samples I want. I set the samples to 200, I find that is enough (most of the renders I posted in here were set to 5mins only with around 125 samples, but I recently raised it to 200 with 10 mins to be sure).
Progressive Rendering.jpg

Try these out with a render, then try the render without denoising at all and do a full render, check the time difference, then compare the quality, I don't see the difference, and I noted that denoising went through frames faster (which puzzles me).

This is an image I just rendered last night, it took me around 6 mins I think with the above settings...
Car - Backseat.png

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Another way I helped speed up my renders and allow them to fit into my measly 4G video RAM was to remove geometry that wasn't visible in the render. I just click on each body part that isn't visible and click the eye icon to remove it from the render and that saves quite a bit on video RAM and can speed things up quite a bit. This is the car render scene from my last post as view from the side, you can see they're missing most of their lower half of their bodies, but boy did this speed things up (plus I need more GPU RAM for denoising, I want to buy a 3060 with 12G RAM just so I can do denoising with less trouble, if the cost ever drops!)

Removed Geometry.jpg

Kthulu_SFM

May 4, 2017
Wow! The cheer amount of priceless information! :love:

Thanks, I will definitely try your configs!

I usually hide everything that does not appear directly or indirectly in front of the camera, but I NEVER thought about hiding body parts haha You sir, are a genius! :giggle:

And as a complement, I've learned also how to use the post denoiser from Intel. Its the one I used to "save" the renders that were already done... It is very easy to use, and the results are tremendous... especially for grains :D

Here is a link for anyone who wants to try:

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Annnd, thanks to my advance with the denoiser, I was able to save a render I did some time ago... I'm so happy! :D

it was the end of the series "Who is watching" and something in it was frying my PC, so I couldn't make it work AT THE TIME, but now... :devilish:

"Who is watching Final"

View attachment 1633176

No GUI:
View attachment 1633180
Wow, that fanart looks super sexy! :) Hoping to see a scene like this between the two, when the AWAM dev decides to come back from the dead, and grace us with new updates. As of yet though, doesn't look like any new signs of life from the project, unfortunately. :(

Reactions: Kthulu_SFM

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Wow! The cheer amount of priceless information! :love:

Thanks, I will definitely try your configs!

I usually hide everything that does not appear directly or indirectly in front of the camera, but I NEVER thought about hiding body parts haha You sir, are a genius! :giggle:
Also, in my render above, their shoulders are missing as well as body parts that are completely hidden by clothing (like most of his chest under that shirt).

I was messing around with DAZ3D and doing like you do, hiding full objects in a scene when I wondered if I could do body parts, or if it made a difference. I have spent many days just experimenting with settings, comparing renders done with different settings etc.

I tend to be that way. Over a decade ago I saved several images while testing JPEG settings starting at 5% quality up to 100% and comparing quality verses file size. Been experimenting with WEBP images now and am impressed by them. I found the Format Factory software (free) to do a good job converting PNGs to WEBPs if anyone is looking to convert renders for a RenPY game. I normally use IrfanView to convert, but it sucks when it comes to any sort of transparent image format like PNGs and WEBPs (sucks at the transparent parts, fine if there is no alpha channels).

Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I use the denoiser on all the renders you see me post. I only have a GTX1050TI, a slow video card for doing these, I don't want to wait an hour or longer (probably longer). Instead, most of my renders you see on here, take between 5 to 7 mins, that's it! I done some full tests without denoiser, I done many tests with it for varying lengths of times and the quality I get is barely noticably different from one done without denoising that may take an hour or more. I mainly set two sections settings for my renders (all FHD 1080P renders, I tested with HD 720P and didn't see it worth while to use less than 1080P).

First my Denoiser settings (I set it to start using it on the first frame, this can help with some problems on cards with low memory and doesn't slow anything down at all, actually denoising seems faster in all my tests)...
View attachment 1633237

...and lastly my Progressive Rendering settings. I set this up so that it will take a maximum of 10 mins to render (600 secs), I actually find that 5 mins (300 secs) is plenty, but for some scenes I may need a little longer to get the samples I want. I set the samples to 200, I find that is enough (most of the renders I posted in here were set to 5mins only with around 125 samples, but I recently raised it to 200 with 10 mins to be sure).
View attachment 1633238

Try these out with a render, then try the render without denoising at all and do a full render, check the time difference, then compare the quality, I don't see the difference, and I noted that denoising went through frames faster (which puzzles me).

This is an image I just rendered last night, it took me around 6 mins I think with the above settings...
View attachment 1633244
A bit different from your setting
art.PNG Capture.PNGfilter.PNG

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
A bit different from your setting
View attachment 1633348
I have wondered about the "Pixel Filter Radius" and thought about messing with it. Haven't experimented with it yet. What exactly does it do? I THINK I know what it does, but am uncertain.

Using the Mitchell filter for the Pixel Filter was something I learned from experimenting with saving various JPEGs with Irfanview which has various filters available for it and I always found Mitchel to produce the best results.

Redoing my car render above using your Pixel Filter Radius out of curiosity.

Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I have wondered about the "Pixel Filter Radius" and thought about messing with it. Haven't experimented with it yet. What exactly does it do? I THINK I know what it does, but am uncertain.

Using the Mitchell filter for the Pixel Filter was something I learned from experimenting with saving various JPEGs with Irfanview which has various filters available for it and I always found Mitchel to produce the best results.
If I remember right it sharpens the render

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
If I remember right it sharpens the render
Yup, I just tried it out. Quite a bit sharper... Car - Backseat - test.png

My only problem with that setting is you see jagged edges around certain objects; look at the edge of the car windshield in this render and compare it to the first render using the default.

I may experiment with it to see if I can get a better value with a little sharper but minimize the jagged edges.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
There's a good write-up on the Pixel Filter Radius here...

An interesting note that a sharper setting adds to your render time.

Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
There's a good write-up on the Pixel Filter Radius here...

An interesting note that a sharper setting adds to your render time.
I always set my max time to zero and the max samples to to either 3000,5000,7500

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I always set my max time to zero and the max samples to to either 3000,5000,7500
I just tried it again with my own filter settings, as I find that too much sharpening gives noise and jagged edges. I actually like the default of 1.50. But I just tried with unlimited time (your zero setting) and 5000 samples.

I was impatient and stopped it after 18 mins (below). It done 553 samples in that time and had an 80% convergence. The original I posted in here took 7 mins, done 200 samples (my limit) and I think around 47% convergence. I compared the two images and you cannot see the difference at all.

Car - Backseat.png

One strange difference I noticed was in the .010 sharp render I done before this, the bushes in the distance are actually blurry (especially on top of the hill in the distance) where as the default 1.50 smoothing has sharper bushes... figure that one out! heheh (compare this one with the render before it that was sharper, look at the bushes)

WhiteWolf619

Engaged Member
Jul 21, 2018

View attachment 1633237

View attachment 1633238

View attachment 1633244
I did this on my laptop, it has a 1060 but being a laptop i doubt its all that good, I stopped it at around 80% after about 3 minutes. I know its not a full scene but my laptop can't handle to much. This was done without denoiser on.
No denoiser 001.jpg

ntrvip

Dec 15, 2020

"Who is watching Final"

View attachment 1633176

No GUI:
View attachment 1633180
Good whore! :devilish:

More with old guys at the hospital :love:

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes