GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
good to see everyone onboard the "there's something really weird going with these development cycles".
Yeah, today feels like a pretty big watershed day for me. It isn't just that he's talking about a May release, it's the whole combination. It feels like every worse fear was confirmed today, and that every troll and negative commenter was proven right. Just last night I defended this game as not deserving the Abandoned tag. Today though, red flags are impossible to ignore.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
Yeah, today feels like a pretty big watershed day for me. It isn't just that he's talking about a May release, it's the whole combination. It feels like very worse fear was confirmed today, and that every troll and negative commenter was proven right. Just last night I defended this game as not deserving the Abandoned tag. Today though, red flags are impossible to ignore.
Today feels like a pretty big watershed day, more like a tsunami day

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
I'm keeping an eye on the Graphtreon analysis of his Patreon numbers. Apart from the usual rise and fall, the news hasn't damaged his numbers, but it probably wont for a number of days.
If his announcement today doesn't get pushback, then his Patrons are dangerously close to falling into Gumdrop Games territory. If they aren't careful they're going to wake up and a year is going to pass without an update.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Poser_Voyeur

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
If his announcement today doesn't get pushback, then his Patrons are dangerously close to falling into Gumdrop Games territory. If they aren't careful they're going to wake up and a year is going to pass without an update.
Patron numbers are 1,550 and they seem happy with the way things are going even after his latest post.
Whether he gets angry e-mails about this is a different matter but I guess his patron numbers would drop

Last edited:

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Yeah, today feels like a pretty big watershed day for me. It isn't just that he's talking about a May release, it's the whole combination. It feels like very worse fear was confirmed today, and that every troll and negative commenter was proven right. Just last night I defended this game as not deserving the Abandoned tag. Today though, red flags are impossible to ignore.
I really don't think this will get abandoned. From the initial response that sept0342 posted, his patrons don't seem fussed by the news and will continue to support him. And as long as that's the case, he'll just continue to do his thing, even if it means it takes 10 - 20 years to finish. As long as he continues to post teasers, even if so far they've just been "walking and talking", this wont get the Abandoned tag.

And even if the rest of playable day 12 and playable day 13 have no progress in Sophia's corruption, there is an important milestone coming up that may boost L&P's numbers: several Dylan/Emma and Dylan/Marie events (and a Dylan/Amber), would suggest he's about to lose his v-card.

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I really don't think this will get abandoned. From the initial response that sept0342 posted, his patrons don't seem fussed by the news and will continue to support him. And as long as that's the case, he'll just continue to do his thing, even if it means it takes 10 - 20 years to finish. As long as he continues to post teasers, even if so far they've just been "walking and talking", this wont get the Abandoned tag.

And even if the rest of playable day 12 and playable day 13 have no progress in Sophia's corruption, there is an important milestone coming up that may boost L&P's numbers: several Dylan/Emma and Dylan/Marie events (and a Dylan/Amber), would suggest he's about to lose his v-card.
Lose his V card!Is he going to fuck Alyssa's cat?

• Angry
Reactions: you suck my dick

hmc15

Apr 4, 2019
There is next to NO CHANCE this game finishes to completion. The best thing the game has going for it is that L&P still seems passionate. The fanbase is already rabid and once L&P needs fan support to get through a challenging stretch...the game is done for

Reactions: DonRE

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
It's interesting that many of us are reaching, or have reached the conclusion that L&P needs an editor. Previously I've said that the editor needs to be someone completely neutral & objective, which ideally they do. This would preclude the likes of us fans, with our different likes, dislikes, hang-ups & favourites.

Now, I've got the perhaps daft idea that if fans took turns editing there wouldn't be such a subjective approach & different POVs might cancel each other out. I'm just thrashing around, trying to come up with something that moves this forward, because like many here present I'm beginning to get those "Abandoned" chills.
I agree that he has needed an editor- but I'm afraid the problems are now much deeper than that. As viper6 said, L&P is only averaging around 5 renders a day at this point. Fastidious or not, that's still an incredibly low output that speaks towards limited efforts. I'm afraid that he's becoming paralyzed by the scope of the game, and he would rather tinker with images that are otherwise finished instead of starting a new one. I've never made a game, so I don't know anything about the creative process, but I feel like 5 renders/day is a low bar to set.

The point is, an editor could help but I'm afraid that we're beyond that at this point. The amount of work he's doing is simultaneously overkill and underkill. He's lost, I don't know any other way to put it.

Reactions: Toushiro

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Lose his V card!Is he going to fuck Alyssa's cat?
Emma and Marie both think he's a "cutie", so I was assuming one of those two. Emma is perhaps too timid, but during the Yoga event Marie was actively pursuing Dylan (even if you're not on the Dylan route), so I think she'll be the first option.

That, and Dylan is allergic to cats.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
I agree that he has needed an editor- but I'm afraid the problems are now much deeper than that. As viper6 said, L&P is only averaging around 5 renders a day at this point. Fastidious or not, that's still an incredibly low output that speaks towards limited efforts. I'm afraid that he's becoming paralyzed by the scope of the game, and he would rather tinker with images that are otherwise finished instead of starting a new one. I've never made a game, so I don't know anything about the creative process, but I feel like 5 renders/day is a low bar to set.

The point is, an editor could help but I'm afraid that we're beyond that at this point. The amount of work he's doing is simultaneously overkill and underkill. He's lost, I don't know any other way to put it.
If he works 8-11h a day like he says he does, 5 renders a day is a terrible output.
Either he's working those hours but works really slowly or he's lying and my gut tells me it's the first. He probably just gets too attached to the scenes trying to perfect them.

Last edited:

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020

Patrons are a unique bunch. They can be fickle as hell, but every once in a while they can coalesce into a unbreakable community. GumDrop Games LITERALLY did not release a new update for his game for something like three years, and his patron numbers held steady. L&P absolutely has a dedicated core that won't push back on him unless things become extreme. What happens if this update slips to June? I know he said "mid-May at the latest" today, but I think we are right to be suspicious of anything he says. So what happens if it slips to June? Does this end up being the only update this year? If L&P learns that he can put out one update a year and keep his core Patrons together, why wouldn't that become the norm? From my chair, three updates in a year suddenly feels very naive.

If we're talking about a single update for 2021, the fear I have is that L&P is simply losing interest. There's a lot of reasons why he may be losing interest, but putting out even TWO updates in a year raises questions about someone's motivation. If we get down to just a single update in a year, I don't know how we don't start hitting the panic button that the game's development is grinding to a halt.

But, even if that does happen, it'll take years without a new release for this game to officially catch the Abandoned tag.

Angmir

May 29, 2017
Why people are shocked by his statement ? He basicaly confirmed what we could allready see anyway. That this update will at least take untill end of April/begining of May.
We all saw how slow it got to this 60% so - what is the surprise now ?

L&P is anoying more and more people pushing the boundries of what they can accept, but he simply does what he does.
At the very least he is constantly working. There are ton of devs that go missing for 2 months and nothing gets done in that time. (well arguebly his Graphic Card drama was a version of that - but at least he stays informative)

In the end I am ok with his statement. He simply works at his usual pace, and unfortunatly ends up making the events bigger and bigger.

The question is - were those events really that important to the story ? If they were - I give him that.
Anyway I am giving him 1 $ a month, and I am ok with that much. I probably be angry if I gave him more.

As long as I see him working, and beeing dedicated to the project he has my support, but I really hope he gets his priorities right, and focuses on the important things.
In the end we will be able to tell if he was honest, by the time update is delivered.

Move along. Move Along.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
Post from Dec 8
Content: around 470 renders spread over 4 events
I'll start working on update 0.130 already around Jan 6th. Since I'm done with my house moving and there's also not much else to do, the next update should be finished quicker.

Not only the amount of renders is going up by 30% he can't commit to a date at all.
"I'll start by Jan 6" - Starts on Jan 11

Since I'm done with my house moving and there's also not much else to do, the next update should be finished quicker.
Yeah right.
There's always something happening, always delays, always more and more renders that aren't needed. And it's getting worse.

From March 1:

I got all my things done the last days/weeks, so that I won't even leave my apartment for min. 3-4 weeks after the surgery. And I also didn't plan anything for April, May, June and July. So, I will focus all my time on the game which will be more than the weeks before! Or more precisely: around 11 working hours per day Mon-Sun.
Once again same promise: "Oh I wont have nothing to do the following months so it's going to be the bomb."
11 working hours per day Mon-Sun
Better Hardware

Output: 4.7 renders/day (which wouldnt be bad if it included dialogue + programming + translation but it doesn't, it's strictly rendering)

Unless he made like 5 environments in the past 20 days, this is just bad.
There's no other word to describe it.

Last edited:

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Patrons are a unique bunch. They can be fickle as hell, but every once in a while they can coalesce into a unbreakable community. GumDrop Games LITERALLY did not release a new update for his game for something like three years, and his patron numbers held steady. L&P absolutely has a dedicated core that won't push back on him unless things become extreme. What happens if this update slips to June? I know he said "mid-May at the latest" today, but I think we are right to be suspicious of anything he says. So what happens if it slips to June? Does this end up being the only update this year? If L&P learns that he can put out one update a year and keep his core Patrons together, why wouldn't that become the norm? From my chair, three updates in a year suddenly feels very naive.

If we're talking about a single update for 2021, the fear I have is that L&P is simply losing interest. There's a lot of reasons why he may be losing interest, but putting out even TWO updates in a year raises questions about someone's motivation. If we get down to just a single update in a year, I don't know how we don't start hitting the panic button that the game's development is grinding to a halt.

But, even if that does happen, it'll take years without a new release for this game to officially catch the Abandoned tag.
I don't think he's losing interest in the game either. Quite the opposite, I think he's experimenting and discovering new things to do in Daz and working out how to put it into the game (like lighting). Perhaps why he decided to add "Coach Sophia" to the game all of a sudden, even though it's unlikely to add much to the plot.

Reactions: Old Dog

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Why people are shocked by his statement ? He basicaly confirmed what we could allready see anyway. That this update will at least take untill end of April/begining of May.

L&P is anoying more and more people pushing the boundries of what they can accept, but he simply does what he does.
At the very least he is constantly working. There are ton of devs that go missing for 2 months and nothing gets done in that time. (well arguebly his Graphic Card drama was a version of that - but at least he stays informative)

In the end I am ok with his statement. He simply works at his usual pace, and unfortunatly ends up making the events bigger and bigger.

The question is - were those events really that important to the story ? If they were - I give him that.
Anyway I am giving him 1 $ a month, and I am ok with that much. I probably be angry if I gave him more.

As long as I see him working, and beeing dedicated to the project he has my support, but I really hope he gets his priorities right, and focuses on the important things.
In the end we will be able to tell if he was honest, by the time update is delivered.

Move along. Move Along.
What was shocking today was the tone and content of his update, not so much the scheduled release. A "latest mid-May" release is on the long-end of what most of us were expecting, but you're right that it isn't in-and-of itself shocking. It was the combined factors that he included in his statement that floored me:

• 600+ renders when all is said and done- This is absolutely absurd for a "short" update and completely defeats the purpose of going to the 1/3 of a day updates.
  • 30 minutes tweaking lighting- This is an outrageously poor use of his time and resources.
  • New clothes are hard to work with- I mean...seriously? Clothes? I know we have a wedding dress in this update, but he's lost the plot if making sure the folds of t-shirts get adequate attention.
From where I sit, he's gone off the deep end because I feel like every decision he's made is wrong or counterintuitive. This update should not have stretched on this long, and he shouldn't have committed the resources he has to it.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017

Move along. Move Along.
The surprise is that he thinks that's a great pace. That's the surprise. I (and everyone here) still hoped he could see how slow he's working.
I would be much more at ease if he came out and said "So far I've done X, could've been quicker and I've identified certain things I can do from now on to push the updates quicker by sacrificing Y,W,Z"

His status updates are basically a template now, here's how it goes:

"Hello everyone
so far I've done X renders in this version 0.ABC, Y more renders than the previous version!!!
Next few months I won't have much to do so I can focus on the game completely for <insert enourmous amount of hours> per day, everyday of the week, which will hopefully make the updates faster.
A teaser for event <insert name of event> will be posted by the end of the week. It's going to be HOT!
Thank you for your support"

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
I don't think he's losing interest in the game either. Quite the opposite, I think he's experimenting and discovering new things to do in Daz and working out how to put it into the game (like lighting). Perhaps why he decided to add "Coach Sophia" to the game all of a sudden, even though it's unlikely to add much to the plot.
Interesting. I see the same things you're seeing, but my interpretation is different. I see a guy who is still interested in the art but increasingly disinterested in the game itself. He clearly loves playing with DAZ and making beautiful renders, but that's a different passion than creating a game. If he's really spending 30 minutes tweaking the lighting of a render, then my read on the situation is that he simply isn't interested in advancing the game as much as he's interested in making art.

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Interesting. I see the same things you're seeing, but my interpretation is different. I see a guy who is still interested in the art but increasingly disinterested in the game itself. He clearly loves playing with DAZ and making beautiful renders, but that's a different passion than creating a game. If he's really spending 30 minutes tweaking the lighting of a render, then my read on the situation is that he simply isn't interested in advancing the game as much as he's interested in making art.
If he was so disinterested in making the game, I don't think it would result in the increase of renders we're seeing. He'd be spending more time on less renders. But he's spending more time on more renders. And more renders means more dialogue, internal and external, which shows an interest in the event and making sure the story gets across.

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
OMG guys, calm the fuck down! 30 minutes per render adjustment is of course the exception and concerned rather only the wedding dress scene, especially because of the huge mirror in the room which makes it additionally very difficult together with a new technique I'm using. Interior scenes are of course much more complicated and time consuming to create than exterior!
And it's really funny how again people are whining about too many "unnecessary" renders without even having seen the update!
I already reduced massively the amount of so called "unnecessary" renders compared to the beginning! But the problem is what are "unnecessary" renders? For the most people here is any render unnecessary which doesn't include some sexual act or nudity! But this is not a porn video but a visual novel with a slowly story build up! And there's a certain amount of renders I need to tell a scene to make it plausible and immersive! Period! Plus I want them to look in a certain way! And if we spread the around 458 renders over the events created yet, then every event has actually a pretty reasonable amount of renders!

1st side job: 123
2nd side job: 224
Emma/Dylan part 1: 23 (+around 12 later for part 2)
Wedding dress: 88

I really would like to make a live stream for a few hours to show you how fucking much work it is to create these scenes together with the story and how much is needed for that! Especially if you want the renders to look like lately! But I also don't like to give a free tutorial of techniques and tricks I acquired myself in a couple of years!
I'd really like to see your reaction if I would lower the quality like it was at the beginning only to release faster updates. And make every scene which doesn't include sexual acts like the sauna scene with Vicky! If you would like that. But this is my game and I'm not up to destroy it this way!!!
And it's really easy to shout out "why doesn't he get some help" without knowing shit about how this development process even looks like! On the one hand you like the beautiful renders and also the event build up which needs a lot of planning. On the other hand you want me to stop spending so much time on that. But the one thing is connected with the other! All the help suggestions I heard yet wouldn't help at all! All the script writers I talked to yet, didn't satisfy me. I was looking for someone who could fill some story details so that I won't spend so much time on that but I also didn't find anyone here. I already said the only chance to speed up the development process noticeably would be to find someone with exactly the same style and taste and giving this total stranger hundreds of GB of my content and the responsibility to create some scenes on his very own! But instead he could also just redistribute these private files!

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes