GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Sometimes I wonder how many Patrons there are with so much cash to spare that they've forgotten they're still subscribed.
Oh, this is my favorite topic. I sincerely think that Patreon is a way for people to move/hide money as needed. I'm not necessarily suggesting that L&P is in on it, there's just sooooooooo much money being funneled into Patreon that it raises eyebrows. I don't know about AWAM, but from other creators I've spoken to (those that have what I consider large followings) the general consensus is that a huge minority or even slight majority of patrons never interact with what they're paying for. It's as if they're just giving money away. Speaking specifically about AWAM, at the start of every month there's the usual drop in patrons as people end their support; but I find it suspicious that by the end of the month the support has almost been perfectly replaced. Month after month this occurs.

The table below really makes me scratch my head. I'm not sure if it means anything, but what are the chances that in four out of the six months, the number of Patrons at the start of the month would drop to between 1637 and 1639 (with 1639 appearing twice)? Could be a total coincidence, but it's a heck of a coincidence. Every month he loses rough 20% of his patrons (between 18% and 23%) and yet almost always perfectly replaces them. In the five months from Oct to March, L&P "lost" 2,212 patrons and "gained" 2,225, a net gain of 13 patrons. That's remarkably steady. That means more than 4,400 patrons came and went in that time, for an account that only has ~2,100 patrons at its height every month. Does that strike anyone else as abnormal? I'd really need to compare it to other devs, but more or less L&P has seen 100% turnover in five months. Obviously he didn't, but it all seems like a lot of movement that always ends up being conveniently steady in the end.

Again, I'm not actually trying to accuse L&P of any conspiracy. I'm just pointing out that I think there's a lot to be suspicious about in terms of Patreon and its model. There's a lot of money being funneled through the website, and a very high rate of turnover.
End of Month Peak (# Patrons)Start of Month Trough (# Patrons) Net Change
Oct 31st - 2016 PatronsNov 1st- 1639 Patrons-377
Nov 30th- 2148 PatronsDec 1st- 1637 Patrons-511
Dec 31st- 2083Jan 1- 1665-418
Jan 30th- 2063Feb 1- 1639-424
Feb 28th- 2120Mar 1- 1638-482
March 30th- 2029Apr 1- 1622-407

AlfredBundy4

Feb 12, 2021
Oh, this is my favorite topic. I sincerely think that Patreon is a way for people to move/hide money as needed. I'm not necessarily suggesting that L&P is in on it, there's just sooooooooo much money being funneled into Patreon that it raises eyebrows. I don't know about AWAM, but from other creators I've spoken to (those that have what I consider large followings) the general consensus is that a huge minority or even slight majority of patrons never interact with what they're paying for. It's as if they're just giving money away. Speaking specifically about AWAM, at the start of every month there's the usual drop in patrons as people end their support; but I find it suspicious that by the end of the month the support has almost been perfectly replaced. Month after month this occurs.

The table below really makes me scratch my head. I'm not sure if it means anything, but what are the chances that in four out of the six months, the number of Patrons at the start of the month would drop to between 1637 and 1639 (with 1639 appearing twice)? Could be a total coincidence, but it's a heck of a coincidence. Every month he loses rough 20% of his patrons (between 18% and 23%) and yet almost always perfectly replaces them. In the five months from Oct to March, L&P "lost" 2,212 patrons and "gained" 2,225, a net gain of 13 patrons. That's remarkably steady. That means more than 4,400 patrons came and went in that time, for an account that only has ~2,100 patrons at its height every month. Does that strike anyone else as abnormal? I'd really need to compare it to other devs, but more or less L&P has seen 100% turnover in five months. Obviously he didn't, but it all seems like a lot of movement that always ends up being conveniently steady in the end.

Again, I'm not actually trying to accuse L&P of any conspiracy. I'm just pointing out that I think there's a lot to be suspicious about in terms of Patreon and its model. There's a lot of money being funneled through the website, and a very high rate of turnover.
End of Month Peak (# Patrons)Start of Month Trough (# Patrons)Net Change
A topic I also am interested in and a rabbit hole I went down was in the podcast/media Patreon world where word is that governments fund a lot of them and personalities that they feel help their interests.

Do you have a podcast that talks shit about your government or promotes ideals that are generally seen as outrageous? Governments will fund it under the guise of users. As you said, no interaction just money. If they stop making it the money flows because these Governments aren't paying attention to their thousands of $5 Patreon accounts. It's a front account that has a set account amount and each month it drops the money to the Patreons they added.

The proofs were everything from timing of subscriber spikes and the spikes in Patreons for people with similar creations.
Then some leaks came out of the Panama BS and some Wiki-lite shit that it's a form of black money ops/psych ops done by intelligence services and militaries around the world.

Wild stuff.

Sabertooth__

Sep 23, 2020

I haven't been following any games anymore except for two. Awam and Fashion Business and from what i have seen Fashion Business also loses subscribers in the same manner. the fall is more or less the same every month for them too and by the end of the month they get to where they were.

Bibifoc

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2018

You seem to think that "new" patrons are different from "lost" patrons. At least a part of them are people who re-subscribe every month.
But if you take ICSTOR for example, I also find that really weird. Why people keep their susbscription or re-subscribe when nothing has happened for a long time? And how could you "forget" your subscription? They never check their mails or accounts :unsure:

tofhdns

Jan 25, 2021
You seem to think that "new" patrons are different from "lost" patrons. At least a part of them are people who re-subscribe every month.
But if you take ICSTOR for example, I also find that really weird. Why people keep their susbscription or re-subscribe when nothing has happened for a long time? And how could you "forget" your subscription? They never check their mails or accounts :unsure:
The benefit of subscription services for businesses is that people who pay a monthly subscription forget about it.

There is a reason why operators allow you to play all movies and all games if you pay a subscription fee for the price of one movie ticket or the purchase price of one game.

they forget.

Like a communication fees and gym usage fees.

Reactions: McZoy
3.20 star(s) 458 Votes