3.30 star(s) 10 Votes

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
I'm following the walk rough for heroic path, and none of the stuff triggered for me... I am up to floor 10, and the scene at floor 4 about Val getting mind controlled by the old teacher never happened...

HypnoChanger

Game Developer
Feb 12, 2018
I'm following the walk rough for heroic path, and none of the stuff triggered for me... I am up to floor 10, and the scene at floor 4 about Val getting mind controlled by the old teacher never happened...
The floor requirements do not mean that the scenes take place in the dungeon, but rather that they will be available when you return from the dungeon after reaching those floors.

MasterNinja

Mar 29, 2018
Great game... only I have a question: Are there any way to enslave all the girls? I always missing Val or Victoria.

If enslave anyone, I lost the Hero Path and Victoria. On the other hand, after the Val Mind Dungeon (these is the Event Horizon), confusion, then suppression in the conversation in the third floor Secret Note with Sarah dont work and I need talk with Val in the hallway and the street for the start her Mind Dungeon.

dirtyotaku13

Jul 12, 2017
I was able in .50 to enslave Val using suppression at the end of her mind dungeon but changing her back immediately to her normal personality seemed to allow me to continue the heroic path. She was the only mind dungeon I did this with and eventually I got to enslave Victoria too and do the Jane classes to enslave her and Molly, so I think getting almost all of the girls enslaved is possible, but the Ms. Rack suspicion event wouldn't trigger after this making her unobtainable so as far as I can tell it's not possible to get EVERYONE enslaved yet...

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, though, you might be able to use the Magic Book to get Ms. Rack in that route, but I haven't tried it out yet to see.

MasterNinja

Mar 29, 2018
I was able in .50 to enslave Val using suppression at the end of her mind dungeon but changing her back immediately to her normal personality seemed to allow me to continue the heroic path.
Oh wow!!! That worked. I enslaved all the girls. And I thought that I should choose between Val or Victoria. Brittany was my first bubble-breaker after read the wiki and Victoria en the 0.50. Next decision: Sarah multicolor or doll?..

You can use the Book, in my backup save the 12th floor was my max and dont pick up the Rack notes, I was able to give her the Book and start the Bimbo Class too. On other hand, I had all the skills for the special lessons and I was forced to see all the special lessons and use the contract for to get Jane, Grapple for Molly in the store.

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Okay so I REALLY like this game. The "enslave everyone by hypnosis/Mind Control" stuff is right up my alley and the personality change is a nice bonus, but DANG is it a chore to do some things. :noexpression:

I guess this might be because FLASH is still a pretty stiff platform for games or maybe the structure of the whole thing is similar to a Twine game, but keeping track of anything is pretty hard. That includes story progress, quests or even characters.
The best would be a more dynamic system with days and maybe characters moving around, but that's a nightmare to make in a dynamic engine let alone something like FLASH so I'd say just letting the characters "exist" in the world would be enough.
I imagine things are like this cuz either it's hard to code exceptions for every event if the characters are constantly present or to make it obvious for players when something new can be done with them, but both can be solved by having a "chat" option and highlights on their icons respectively.
If nothing else most of this could be fixed by having a "diary" or "notes" like system in the menu where your characters are managed so people can keep track of or be reminded of events that happened before they left the game, but this is just my personal point of view, I'm not trying to criticise anyone's creative vision.

An actual problem of mine is with the VERY strict and single chance requirements for some of the events. Like have a specific character, with a specific personality while meeting another character for the first time and pick the right option with them and have the right spell at hand or you're NEVER getting another chance is kinda annoying. :oops:
This might be a form of challenge so players can't just breeze through the game and so need to experiment or try to get things in the right order, but not having any clues or warnings so people can CHOOSE to "Do something and fail it then." is unfair at best and these events should be more about "alternative" routes of getting something rather than the only one.

Also I'd mention things like using spells on characters outside of conversations is confusing, not having a gallery for scenes we've already seen is a bummer and not having a form of "monsterpedia" to at least outline criticals and resists makes fights more of a "Spam the strongest attacks cuz elements don't seem to make sense here." unless someone can literally memorize every monster's tactics by pure trial and error.

As I said, I REALLY like this game and if most of these problems are all about "Still in development, will be expanded/fixed later." then I can get that, but that doesn't change that these things still get in the way of playing and I can't wait to see how things are planned to be improved. :)

Reactions: Maericke

HypnoChanger

Game Developer
Feb 12, 2018
I think having a day/night cycle, or a strict progression of time would only make things more complicated for players than they already are, unfortunately.

I would do a diary or quest log sort of thing, but I have not been able to come up with a way to do that which wouldn't end up being insanely complicated to build and only slightly helpful. I am working on a gallery system, but so far I have not yet figured out a good way to do it.

As for the limited ways to trigger things, that would indeed be the result of the game being still in development. I am taking a sort of "logical consequences" approach to interactions. So, a lot of the time, when you hit a dead end, it isn't because you failed out of the plotline, but rather you are put on a different branch of that plotline which hasn't been written yet.

I am trying to balance forward development progress towards getting the main endings written, while also making progress on filling out alternate paths through each major subplot and ensuring that these subplots don't interact in ways that contradict each-other. As progress continues, I will be filling out these plotlines until I hit a point where the player, rather than feeling lost and hitting dead ends, instead finds the story has fresh new things to try out with each subsequent playthrough.

Reactions: cvbn28c and Gaboris

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
I think having a day/night cycle, or a strict progression of time would only make things more complicated for players than they already are, unfortunately
Right, sorry I worded it the wrong way. I actually didn't even think of it making things harder by say being forced to sleep at night, but in the end I did mean to say that it also doesn't fit the game's pacing.

I would do a diary or quest log sort of thing, but I have not been able to come up with a way to do that which wouldn't end up being insanely complicated to build and only slightly helpful. I am working on a gallery system, but so far I have not yet figured out a good way to do it
Huh, wouldn't have thought that a system like that would be so complicated... Maybe just having a list of characters with notes/hints on what to do for/with them? Also a simple list of classes could be made by only checking the number of secret notes found and what classes were already taken and show then strike them from the list? How hard does Flash make this be?

As for the limited ways to trigger things, that would indeed be the result of the game being still in development. I am taking a sort of "logical consequences" approach to interactions. So, a lot of the time, when you hit a dead end, it isn't because you failed out of the plotline, but rather you are put on a different branch of that plotline which hasn't been written yet
That's kinda what I thought, but it just bugged me when I had to start the game again for the 3rd time to try and get a character. :D
Thought something like a generic conversation could give a second try at it, but I guess that would need just as much extra writing and development as the actual story progress so I can get why that's more important.

I am trying to balance forward development progress towards getting the main endings written, while also making progress on filling out alternate paths through each major subplot and ensuring that these subplots don't interact in ways that contradict each-other. As progress continues, I will be filling out these plotlines until I hit a point where the player, rather than feeling lost and hitting dead ends, instead finds the story has fresh new things to try out with each subsequent playthrough.
Hmmm... Fair enough, that's a good approach.
Keep up the great work! :thumbsup: (Had to try and see if this worked, but nope.)

HypnoChanger

Game Developer
Feb 12, 2018
The reason a diary system is so hard is because the game is extremely varied. For most other games, a diary system is very simple, as it can have one variable which progresses with the story and tells the diary how much to write, and only one summary would ever need to be written for each event. Many times, even cases where you can pick between multiple outcomes are limited enough in scope that it can be covered by writing just one or two extra entrees occasionally.

For this game, though, even a single character's story can end up branching out into a dozen or more possible paths, and that would effectively force me to write an exact copy of the game's code, and a summarized version of all the scenes in the game to make it work. Trying to have the diary tell you what you need to do next to trigger new scenes would be even harder, as I would have to do all that, and then also program an algorithm to predict which scenes will appear next based on their prerequisites, and then list what those missing prerequisites are for each plotline.

The gallery on the other hand is mainly giving me trouble because I have like 150 CGs in the game now, and I haven't had time to sink into making thumbnails for them all by hand, and building an interface for it all.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
I had some trouble (re)playing your game because of Flash being phased out - I had to add a MIME hint and stop Firefox from blocking it anyway. Do you have any plans for when support Flash ends in a few years?

Reactions: Gaboris

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
I had some trouble (re)playing your game because of Flash being phased out - I had to add a MIME hint and stop Firefox from blocking it anyway. Do you have any plans for when support Flash ends in a few years?
There's kinda already is. That includes literally all FLASH based games while we're att it. :D

Browsers have killed off most of the higher FLASH functionality that some games require so by now it's a general consensus to NOT use any kind of browser and use a "Flash Projector" which is just a stand alone program that can run FLASH content.

The Projector can do almost anything it could within browsers, you can get it with different versions of FLASH so you can run a game at its stablest state and it also has less overhead since you don't need to run a browser along side it. :)

I'm always having problems finding them since Adobe DOES make it less intuitive then it should be, but if you get stuck I'm pretty sure there are a few people here who can give you a literal guide on how to get them or what to use for what game.

Reactions: Bagger288

HypnoChanger

Game Developer
Feb 12, 2018
I do have plans to switch to html5 export for updates as soon as they become stable. Last time I tried exporting to that format it was rather laggy. Hopefully the export option becomes viable soon.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Adventure High Version: 0.52
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Gaboris
3.30 star(s) 10 Votes